Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

vCash
    P2 was very impressive last night.
    He showed that he could sing on pitch, in styles other than his own, also.

Joshua wasn't as OTT as usual, which was refreshing.

Jessica was disappointing, particularly on Mariah's song.
    Her youth and inexperience are showing.

Before last night. I would have said that she was going to win.
    Now, I'm not so sure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    At this point, I'd say that P2 is, of the three, most likely to be in the F2, but it's a crapshoot as to which of JeZzzica or Joshua makes it in. Then again, since TIIC (the idiots in charge) and The Three Stooges have been, for the past month or so, been fairly blatant in their preference and desire to have the two Js in the final, who knows what fcukery machinations will take place behind the scenes if the votes are close.
    Really? It's pretty clear to me that the judges have had P2 and Joshua as their faves all season. No other explanation comes to mind as to why Joshua gets a zillion standing Os and P2 has been practically treated with kiddy gloves all season. They like Jessica, but IMO, their praise for her has always been muted a bit compared to P2 and Joshua.

vCash
    I thought P2 won the night last night -- and I wanted him gone weeks ago, so there ya go. He will be something if he can write...otherise, he'll fade away like all his cute boy predecessors (although I must admit I love me some Kris Allen). The third song layed FLAT for me, though (in more ways than one) - blech. Anybody else see Erika shaking her head in an emphatic "no" when Randy called it his best performance ever? I miss Erika.

Joshua is sick-talented, though, and that MJB number was freaking AMAZING I know it's a taste thing -- but that kid is just so much damn BETTER than all the rest, it bugs the crap out of me that the fact that he doesn't have more of a main stream appeal will cost him a well deserved win.

Jessica...let me down last night. I think she should go...actually, I think she's just not cooked yet. I wish they would have held her off until she had some life experience to bring to the table. She mentioned she is homeschooled last night...it reads, I think.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nypanda View Post
    I thought P2 won the night last night -- and I wanted him gone weeks ago, so there ya go. He will be something if he can write...otherise, he'll fade away like all his cute boy predecessors (although I must admit I love me some Kris Allen). The third song layed FLAT for me, though (in more ways than one) - blech. Anybody else see Erika shaking her head in an emphatic "no" when Randy called it his best performance ever? I miss Erika.

Joshua is sick-talented, though, and that MJB number was freaking AMAZING I know it's a taste thing -- but that kid is just so much damn BETTER than all the rest, it bugs the crap out of me that the fact that he doesn't have more of a main stream appeal will cost him a well deserved win.

Jessica...let me down last night. I think she should go...actually, I think she's just not cooked yet. I wish they would have held her off until she had some life experience to bring to the table. She mentioned she is homeschooled last night...it reads, I think.
    I saw a couple of Youtube videos of Phillip and he does write some music. Interestingly, he only picked up the guitar at age 14. His brother-in-law taught him the basics, and he moved on from there. Seems to be an innate ability for him and with some mentoring, he should really improve, as well as should the other contestants.

I agree with you, about Jessica. She seems to have led a very sheltered life and doesn't really have very much life experience to draw from. I think the same thing was a problem for Hollie. They both have these fantastic voices, but not the life experiences to really connect with the music. I think this is why, I haven't connected with Jessica, even though she is extremely talented.

Phillip and Joshua are also young, but don't seem as sheltered and they some life experience to draw from. JMHO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nypanda View Post

I agree with most of what you said. I also think P2 won the night. LOVED his MB20 song and found the 3rd one just ok.

Joshua is very talented but his style probably doesn't have broad appeal. I wasn't crazy about Imagine, as I thought his vibrato took away from the simplicity of the song. That said, I did enjoy the other two numbers.

Jessica was by far the worst for me last night. She is very talented, but I agree that she needs a little time to mature, both vocally and emotionally.

One of the things that really annoys me is when the judges continually call for big moments, or promote big voices. There is much more to current music than just "big." And while there are big voices out there, there are a myriad of others that sell just as well and sometimes better. I want to see someone who knows who they are musically and stylistically and can take risks, but within the style that works for them.

vCash
    For once, P2 didn't offend my ears. After all, this is allegedly supposed to be a singing contest (yeah, right...). I think he did well - I think overall the top 3 are talented, but P2 is not a good singer by any stretch of the imagination.

Many music fans like his creative artistry and musicianship, and I agree. The sad thing is that when he wins (and he will win), Idol's record company will crush that creativity and his fans will not see what makes him and his music unique. He'll have to wait for future indie releases before he can be himself musically.

Of the three, I think Joshua should win it. But he won't...if he does, I'll eat my words very happily.
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sally1214 View Post
    Round 3 ... probably to Jessica, for me.

Once again, Joshua was done NO favors by Jimmy picking the Mary J. Blige song and encouraging him to go "out there." While he did a good job on the song and has the strongest performance skills of the final 3, the "out there" is what the non-Joshua fans don't like about him. So, boo to Jimmy.

I liked Jessica's "I'll Be There." Her best of the night for me. As someone else posted, at least it was a remotely youthful choice and she did sound like MJ in some parts of that.

Philip stuck to the melody of "We've Got Tonight." YAY!!! But, WHERE, exactly, was "the big moment" that Randy was talking about?? I thought it was more like Jennifer said ... "a lullaby." It was good but a bit bland. This song, sung with the proper emotion behind it, can bring people to tears. Philip just didn't convey that kind of emotion AT ALL.

So, for me, Philip won round 1; Joshua won round 2 and Jessica won round 3.
    ITA with all of this.

I still think P2 will win. I wish Joshua would win. Not sure whether Jessica or Joshua will go tonight.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    When I posted my predictions earlier I hadn't seen last night's show yet. Now that I have, I think P2 won all three rounds BY A MILE. Jessica was pretty good but bland on round 2 & 3, but her 1st song was extremely age-inappropriate. They keep talking about her singing songs too old for her & then JLo goes & gives her a song with lyrics like "I'd give my life to feel your body next to mine". But I think she was #2 in all 3 rounds.

I felt Joshua was a far distant 3rd....pure dreck. I can't express how much I despised his version of Imagine. And why did he feel that song called for screaming & take it to church histrionics? His other 2 performances were really unenjoyable for me. Just way OTT. He could have been so good but the Jacob Lusk mentoring has taken its toll.

I thought Phillip was impressive all three rounds. I couldn't believe the critique he got from the 3 stooges (thanks Cyn) for his 2nd song...I thought that one was the best. I'm going to download it. I liked the way he sang the 3rd song but IMO it's not as good a song as Disease.

Joshua has been receiving the David Archeleta treatment all season but one thing the judges & producers have forgotten is that they couldn't get David the win and I don't think they can get Joshua the win either. If P2 has a good night next week like he did last night I don't think he can be stopped. I wish the one going home tonight was Joshua just because I'm tired of the assault on my ears but I think it will be Jessica. She's probably tired of the bus running over her anyway.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    When I posted my predictions earlier I hadn't seen last night's show yet. Now that I have, I think P2 won all three rounds BY A MILE. Jessica was pretty good but bland on round 2 & 3, but her 1st song was extremely age-inappropriate. They keep talking about her singing songs too old for her & then JLo goes & gives her a song with lyrics like "I'd give my life to feel your body next to mine". But I think she was #2 in all 3 rounds.

I felt Joshua was a far distant 3rd....pure dreck. I can't express how much I despised his version of Imagine. And why did he feel that song called for screaming & take it to church histrionics? His other 2 performances were really unenjoyable for me. Just way OTT. He could have been so good but the Jacob Lusk mentoring has taken its toll.

I thought Phillip was impressive all three rounds. I couldn't believe the critique he got from the 3 stooges (thanks Cyn) for his 2nd song...I thought that one was the best. I'm going to download it. I liked the way he sang the 3rd song but IMO it's not as good a song as Disease.

Joshua has been receiving the David Archeleta treatment all season but one thing the judges & producers have forgotten is that they couldn't get David the win and I don't think they can get Joshua the win either. If P2 has a good night next week like he did last night I don't think he can be stopped. I wish the one going home tonight was Joshua just because I'm tired of the assault on my ears but I think it will be Jessica. She's probably tired of the bus running over her anyway.
    Taf, you have excellent taste .

One point, though. Although it was close, if one takes their styles, abilities, and previous performances into consideration, Joshua maintained what he's done all season whereas Jessica definitely fell short. For me it's a tossup as to who was "better," though, because Joshua's style of singing is one that I've never really enjoyed even when done by top artists in that genre. Jessica's, OTOH, is a genre that I can tolerate and at times enjoy when it comes from the "goddesses" in that style, but she has never been able to equal them (though she does a good imitation of them) and is way too young to be able to find her own niche, personality, soul, or individual style within the pop-diva genre.
    Gun Control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to buy cars.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    :Jessica's, OTOH, is a genre that I can tolerate and at times enjoy when it comes from the "goddesses" in that style, but she has never been able to equal them (though she does a good imitation of them) and is way too young to be able to find her own niche, personality, soul, or individual style within the pop-diva genre.
    You have to be able to channel your inner Xtina or Brittany to be a true pop-diva.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

vCash
    I know Dial Idol is not terribly reliable but it has

Spoiler

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post

Joshua wasn't as OTT as usual, which was refreshing.
    That was Joshua holding back!?
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Pretty nice group number to open the results show, "Got To Get You Into My Life."

vCash
    Does anyone know if there's a live online stream to watch this so I don't have to continually bounce back and forth between the office and my room?
    Gun Control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to buy cars.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    lmp makes everyone wear tom petty's top hat while she lip syncs
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Cyn, no, but you ain't missing much. Not sure how they're going to milk another half-hour out of this.

vCash
    Adam Lambert. Nice performance but very, very 80s. I guess that's his thing. He and CeeLo should hook up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyCharm View Post
    Cyn, no, but you ain't missing much. Not sure how they're going to milk another half-hour out of this.
    I take it they're going to drag this BS out until the last ten minutes like they did last week?

Has Jimmy Iovine given his review of how last night went yet?

ETA: In addition to here, I'm following the PBP over on VFTW, and the snark there is .

ETA: If anyone needs to cleanse their aural palate after LMP and possibly Glambert (though it sounds like he did alright), here's P2's Studio Recording of "We've Got Tonight" - it's absolutely amazing (something I thought I would never say about a Bob Seger song )

vCash
    Jimmy said Josh's first song didn't showcase his potential, Imagine was wrong for him, and admits he messed up giving him the MJB song, which didn't have enough melody.

I think he had mostly nice things to say about Jess' numbers, but acknowledges that "I'll Be There" was a mistake because that arrangement was meant for 2 voices.

Says Phil had the performance of the night with his 3rd number, but was kinda meh about his first 2.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    A CT scan of Steven Tyler's brain would be fascinating. I had such high hopes for him as a judge, but alas. The other two are useless, although, I did read that JLo is likely not to return next season. She says she needs to spend more time on touring and her kids, but she's probably hoping to top Brittany's reported 15 mil for XFactor.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast