Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

vCash
    That showed range. emotion and holy wow, a complete and utter departure from anything else he has done... This is going to be interesting for the finals now... If I had to pick tonight... I'd be picking Jessica and Phillip to go through to the finals and battle it out.
    Kyle

vCash
    I'm in Bizzaro World. I've loved Phil in all 3 rounds tonight. Jessica is so gone. Jen's and Jimmy's song choices for her were lame. Her only really good performance, to my complete shock, was the song she chose for herself. I think Jimmy's choice was good in theory, but the arrangement didn't work. Jen's choice was just dumb.

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    It doesn't matter if you can hit the notes or not. I can take up singing!

vCash
    I think Jessica might be toast.

vCash
    Is it me? Or is Josh so over the top, it's just painful?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Is it me? Or is Josh so over the top, it's just painful?
    From what I saw in the recap of his 1st and 3rd songs, it's definitely not just you. I thought "Imagine" was very nice though.

I might actually buy Phil's "Disease." I liked it much better than the original.
    Last edited by LuckyCharm; 05-17-2012 at 03:13 AM.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Phillip did the impossible - he made me actually like a Bob Seger song. Granted, "We've Got Tonight" is one of the few songs by them that I can tolerate, but P2 made it softer, more romantic, and pleasant.

I'm sure his female Tween fans and the Frauen went absolutely batshit with that song choice .

I've been trying to vote for him, but I'm getting the "All circuits are busy now" thingee. Then again, I do live in Georgia, so I imagine that's to be expected for the first half hour or so .

vCash
    Hmm...looks like TPTB are pushing for a Joshua/Phillip finale.

I've no idea why the judges are pushing Phillips so hard. Are you kidding me with the effusive praise for that last performance? It doesn't matter if you hit the notes? This is Lee DeWyze all over again. They know that Idol's credibility has taken a hit with the same type of singer winning consistently for 5 or so years running. But what do they do this season? Pimp a contestant that falls under the same mold, feature him during all stages of the competition, and shower him with adulations all.season.long when he deserved much more criticism. Looks like they'll get their wishes though. I can't see the other two beating him.

I normally love Jessica and Joshua but they were both way off tonight. Jessica singing 3 ballads? Really? Joshua had the best song choices of the night, but still not crazy about his performances like I normally am.

Overall, not a strong showing AT ALL for S11's Top 3.
    Last edited by phoenixflamezzz; 05-17-2012 at 03:25 AM.

vCash
    Round 3 ... probably to Jessica, for me.

Once again, Joshua was done NO favors by Jimmy picking the Mary J. Blige song and encouraging him to go "out there." While he did a good job on the song and has the strongest performance skills of the final 3, the "out there" is what the non-Joshua fans don't like about him. So, boo to Jimmy.

I liked Jessica's "I'll Be There." Her best of the night for me. As someone else posted, at least it was a remotely youthful choice and she did sound like MJ in some parts of that.

Philip stuck to the melody of "We've Got Tonight." YAY!!! But, WHERE, exactly, was "the big moment" that Randy was talking about?? I thought it was more like Jennifer said ... "a lullaby." It was good but a bit bland. This song, sung with the proper emotion behind it, can bring people to tears. Philip just didn't convey that kind of emotion AT ALL.

So, for me, Philip won round 1; Joshua won round 2 and Jessica won round 3. I have NO idea who America will choose but I think all 3 of these singers will get record deals and do just fine. No losers here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sally1214 View Post
    Once again, Joshua was done NO favors by Jimmy picking the Mary J. Blige song and encouraging him to go "out there." While he did a good job on the song and has the strongest performance skills of the final 3, the "out there" is what the non-Joshua fans don't like about him. So, boo to Jimmy.
    But it's what the Joshua fans do like and what has gotten him this far.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sally1214 View Post
    Philip stuck to the melody of "We've Got Tonight." YAY!!! But, WHERE, exactly, was "the big moment" that Randy was talking about?? I thought it was more like Jennifer said ... "a lullaby." It was good but a bit bland. This song, sung with the proper emotion behind it, can bring people to tears. Philip just didn't convey that kind of emotion AT ALL.
    I'd have to disagree - it didn't build up to any big climax, but it was wonderful that he didn't "phillipize" the song, make all kinds of weird faces, strain on the notes, and overall the song and his performance was intimate and seductive as hell -- and that will drive his female fans to vote like crazy.

vCash
    Don't know who's going home tomorrow but I know it's not going to be P2.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JILEN View Post
    Don't know who's going home tomorrow but I know it's not going to be P2.
    I agree with you.

I think P2 should have been gone weeks ago BUT I know he has a huge fan base and they are of the age group that vote like it's the end of the world.

So ... my prediction is that P2 will knock out either Jess or Josh (no idea which one) and then the fans of whichever one is knocked out will unite and vote for the other one (Jess or Josh) and this will be enough to win it for one of them. P2 will finish 2nd. But, what the hell do I know!! Just guessing ....

vCash
    I'd rather P2 wins than Josh. josh just annoys me

vCash
    Weird night tonight.

Joshua:

I think the two boys will go through, but I’d like Joshua to be the one who goes home. He seems like a nice kid, but I just don’t like his singing.

1. Etta James song – Way too shrill for my taste
    2. Imagine – His best performance from tonight. But just okay in my book. I just don’t care much for the tone of his voice. Why did he have to add in the shriek?
    3. No More Drama – It totally suited him, but I just don’t want someone taking me to church

Jessica:
    I don’t see how anyone can look at the judges’ and Jimmy’s song choices for Jessica and think that the producers want her in the finale. She reportedly has a sore throat and that could explain part of her problems tonight, but the song choices were a big problem and this was her worst night. She’s got to hope people are voting based on the entire season.

1. My All – What a terrible song choice. This was her worst performance of the entire season IMO.
    2. I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing– She did okay, but why would she choose this song? It’s been done to death on this show and it’s not the kind of song she usually likes. I’m doubting whether this was really her choice.
    3. I’ll Be There – Why? Just why? Jimmy could have come up with a better song and one that was more youthful, more uptempo, and better suited her voice.

Phillip:
    There’s no way he’s going home. This was one of his best nights and his father was really sweet. And he’s from the South.

1. Beggin’ – I thought he’d have a hard time handling the higher notes, but he did fine. I don’t know why they chose that particular song, though.
    2. Disease – I though the sax was too prominent, but it was a good performance. Good song choice. I disagreed with the judges. I thought this was his best performance of the night.
    3. We’ve Got Tonight – The purple-looking hair was distracting. I don’t get why Jimmy chose this song because it’s not very contemporary and not Phillip’s kind of song. But, I do think it was a pretty good way to highlight the tone of Phillip’s voice.

vCash
    Interesting that the final 3 thread is only on page 3. Based strictly on last night, I'd put P2 and Jessica through. Joshua's just too over the top for me.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    I haven't been much into voting since the Kris Allen/Adam Lambert season, other than to throw a few votes Hollie's way earlier this year that week the judges threw her under the bus only to back up and run over her repeatedly which, incidentally, was the same week Jessica got booted and the judges' pulled that insane fcukery in the way they "saved" her .

Last night, though, I maxed out my online votes as well as hitting redial on my landline for most of the two hours voting for P2. As far as the landline voting went, it was impossible to get through for the first half-hour (as mentioned in my previous post). After that, it was hit or miss -- for every ten or so calls, I think I got through maybe twice. After 11:00, it got a little better, and when I switched over to using my mobile phone, it was a lot easier to get through.

Going on last night's performances, Jessica was by far the weakest of the three -- she had two more age-inappropriate songs, and the third one, while more youthful, wasn't exactly a great performance (I was stunned that Randy called her out on it). On two of them (her first and last) she did what she always does, which is perform an exact or nearly exact imitation of the original artists (her version of I'll Be There was more in the vein of Mariah rather than the Jackson Five, meaning she essentially did two Mariah ballads, and her rendition of Aerosmith's Don't Wanna Miss A Thang was cringeworthy -- I'm surprised Steven Tyler wasn't crawling under the desk in embarrassment. Overall, her voice was definitely weaker than usual -- I know there were reports that she's had a bit of a sore throat, but there have been other competitors in seasons past that have been sick as hell and delivered amazing performances (IIRC, Kelly Clarkson had that problem one week, only to come out and deliver a stunning performance).

Joshua, of course, did his "bring it to church" bit, though he toned it down somewhat for Imagine. On that one, however, I thought it was dreadful, but then again, I've never been a fan of that song or much of anything done by The Beatles or any of its members' other projects (don't get me started on Paul McCartney and Wings ). The only thing Lennon did that I remotely enjoyed was a couple of the songs from Double Fantasy, released not long before he was murdered by Mark David Chapman (before I get by fans, I'm not saying he/they weren't talented; it's just not my cuppa).

The other two songs (the ones by Etta James and Mary J. Blige) were so overwrought with his usual screaming (albeit in-key) I had to turn the volume down to almost nothing. I've also read a lot of praise for No More Drama (MJB song), claiming it was full of passion, but I don't consider screaming non-stop to be less indicative of passion and more like he was passing one of P2's kidney stones .

P2, OTOH, had IMO the best night of the three. Beggin' by Madcon was a great choice for him, and (as previously posted), his performances of Disease (Matchbox 20) and We've Got Tonight (Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band) were stellar. They may not have had the buildup to an in-your-face climax, but they had a quiet intensity that drew me (and several other, judging from the audience reaction) in. As far as the judges' comments about Disease, I found their comments to be ridiculous, especially considering the turd that Jessica laid on the stage with IDWMAT. Iovine was a genius of sorts by picking WGT for P2 as he knew that would make Phillips female fanbase cream their panties and DialDialDial/VoteVoteVote for him.

From reading on various boards and forums that more people feel that Joshua will be in the finals, which is sending Jessica's Pinoy fanbase (most of which are overseas) into teeth-gnashing fits of rage. I find it incredibly annoying and angering that they have also been spamming board after board with instructions on how to bypass the firewalls or whatever is in place to be able to vote from out of the country and have them count . What really pisses me off is that this was brought to Nigel's attention via Twitter (and other sources), and he pretty much dismissed it and, in the case of his Twitter response, all but encouraged it .

At this point, I'd say that P2 is, of the three, most likely to be in the F2, but it's a crapshoot as to which of JeZzzica or Joshua makes it in. Then again, since TIIC (the idiots in charge) and The Three Stooges have been, for the past month or so, been fairly blatant in their preference and desire to have the two Js in the final, who knows what fcukery machinations will take place behind the scenes if the votes are close.

If anyone is interested, here are the stats from Dial Idol. What I find interesting is that the numbers did not change all that much between the rankings when it was strictly votes from the East Coast and once the West Coast votes were added to it. Although it hasn't been as accurate this year compared to prior seasons, they've gotten it pretty much right every week with only one exception -- when Skylar was predicted to be safe (in the #1 slot) and was booted.

I doubt I'll tune in for the entire hour of the results show, especially with Lisa Marie Presley being one of the performers (seriously, WTF?), but I do want to see Glambert perform, so who knows. Hopefully they won't pull the same BS they did last week when they didn't reveal any of the results until the last ten minutes of the hour -- that was one of the most annoying things they've done (and lord knows, they've done plenty of bone-headed things to choose from).
    Last edited by Cyn; 05-17-2012 at 02:15 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    Interesting that the final 3 thread is only on page 3. Based strictly on last night, I'd put P2 and Jessica through. Joshua's just too over the top for me.
    I totally agree.

vCash
    Kris Allen's new record is streaming online now: http://www.myplaydirect.com/kris-all...tails/26768932 and comes out next week.

There are some great songs here, no wonder he is so excited about it.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

vCash
    This was supposed to be "girls' year" & I was looking forward to it (Erika & Elise). Now I just want Jessica gone which will leave an all-male finale. However I don't think the winner will be WGWG. I think Josh will get Jessica's voters if she leaves. If Josh leaves then Jessica will get his voters. According to the message boards I read, there are very few fans who have P2 as their 2nd favorite. And as much as I hate the idea that TPTB will get their way with Josh winning, I hate more the idea that yet another WGWG will win just because he's cute, only to fade into obscurity within a year or two. I just don't think P2 has enough mainstream appeal to make it. I do think Josh has more of a shot at a successful career, esp after his record company tones him down a bit & he has contact with an actual mentor (which he hasn't seen on this show).

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast