Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast
    vCash
    I see that Ricky won Golden West with around 210 pts., and I couldn't watch the Livestream last night. Does anyone have any PBP on what he did in the LP? From the math, he scored around 139 pts. or so. Thx!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    I see that Ricky won Golden West with around 210 pts., and I couldn't watch the Livestream last night. Does anyone have any PBP on what he did in the LP?
    Dornbush's jumps were 4T fall, 4T fall, 3A very good, 'Rippon' 2Lz+3T, 1A, 3Lo, 3F, 3S.
    (ETA: Someone has posted impressions of the Senior Men's FS in the Golden West thread in Kiss and Cry.)

Finlandia Trophy entries were published online today and Dornbush is one of the U.S. entries, along with Weir.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-03-2012 at 06:41 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Dornbush's jumps were 4T fall, 4T fall, 3A very good, 'Rippon' 2Lz+3T, 1A, 3Lo, 3F, 3S.
    (ETA: Someone has posted impressions of the Senior Men's FS in the Golden West thread in Kiss and Cry.)

Finlandia Trophy entries were published online today and Dornbush is one of the U.S. entries, along with Weir.
    Thanks, Sylvia. Don't have access to K & C yet. Sad to hear that he's having trouble with the 4T and hope this gets resolved soon! Any chatter as to why he's having the difficulty? Besides that, it looks like he only had a problem with scaling down a couple of jumps.

Does Finlandia mean no Regionals for him? Frankly, I'm a fan of his, but I think it'd be a good idea to send someone else to Finlandia that doesn't have 2 GP assignments already ....

vCash
    Thanks, Sylvia. Don't have access to K & C yet. Sad to hear that he's having trouble with the 4T and hope this gets resolved soon! Any chatter as to why he's having the difficulty? Besides that, it looks like he only had a problem with scaling down a couple of jumps.

Does Finlandia mean no Regionals for him? Frankly, I'm a fan of his, but I think it'd be a good idea to send someone else to Finlandia that doesn't have 2 GP assignments already ....
    He's rotating the quad, just wasn't able to land it in competition at Golden West. He did do a nice one in the LP warmup.

Finlandia is a week before Regionals, so I assume that means he now gets a bye for that. Look at it this way, with Dornbush out of Regionals, that gives another SWP man the chance to advance to Sectionals and ultimately Nationals.

vCash
    Just a random question, but has the TBA host slot in the men's event at Skate America been filled yet/if not, do you know when the deadline is to do so? Is it going to Lysacek? I thought he was injured, but also, idk if he's even allowed to compete on the GP this season? Not entirely sure of the rules. If not Evan, I would assume the spot will go to Armin who was 4th at Nationals and has been skating well this summer and standing up on a lot of 4ts, but I guess Messing, Aaron, and Mroz are probably also in consideration for the spot...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Just a random question, but has the TBA host slot in the men's event at Skate America been filled yet/if not, do you know when the deadline is to do so? Is it going to Lysacek? I thought he was injured, but also, idk if he's even allowed to compete on the GP this season? Not entirely sure of the rules. If not Evan, I would assume the spot will go to Armin who was 4th at Nationals and has been skating well this summer and standing up on a lot of 4ts, but I guess Messing, Aaron, and Mroz are probably also in consideration for the spot...
    It was announced on August 10th that Evan would be competing at Skate America.

U.S. Figure Skating International Assignments/Results Page: http://www.usfsa.org/Athletes.asp?id=216
    Last edited by SkateFan66; 09-03-2012 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Add link

vCash

Yes, no regionals this year for Richard. Actually it was due to his having 2 GP assignments, which appears to be a recent organizational or rule change.
    Happy Skating!

Crzesk8dad

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    It was announced on August 10th that Evan would be competing at Skate America.

U.S. Figure Skating International Assignments/Results Page: http://www.usfsa.org/Athletes.asp?id=216
    Okay thanks. But isn't Lysacek injured currently? I'm still shocked USFS picked Razzano over Mahbanoozadeh to be perfectly honest...

vCash
    ^^ Does Doug have a reliable quad? Are there other results factors we are unaware of? Do they like Doug's programs better than Armin's? It seems USFS also preferred Ricky over Armin too for 4CC when Armin clearly should have been selected after 2012 Nats.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    ^^ Does Doug have a reliable quad? Are there other results factors we are unaware of? Do they like Doug's programs better than Armin's? It seems USFS also preferred Ricky over Armin too for 4CC when Armin clearly should have been selected after 2012 Nats.
    I really don't get why Armin is getting snubbed.

vCash
    I don't have any explanation as to why Razzano over Armin but I can tell you that Doug's programs at Golden West were hot messes. He's got a lot of work to do before Skate America.

vCash
    I'm afraid Armin won't have a chance to rack up international points this season other than an early season senior B.

vCash
    Frankly, I'm a fan of his [Dornbush], but I think it'd be a good idea to send someone else to Finlandia that doesn't have 2 GP assignments already ....
    That was my first thought, too.

Quote Originally Posted by legjumper View Post
    Finlandia is a week before Regionals, so I assume that means he [Dornbush] now gets a bye for that. Look at it this way, with Dornbush out of Regionals, that gives another SWP man the chance to advance to Sectionals and ultimately Nationals.
    It wouldn't have made a difference because the 5th place SWP Regional Senior men's finisher would advance to Pacific Coast Sectionals due to the fact that Dornbush's Rostelecom Cup GP assignment gives him a bye through Pacific Coast Sectionals to 2013 Nationals.

Quote Originally Posted by merrywidow View Post
    ... I can tell you that Doug's programs at Golden West were hot messes.
    It's fair to say that Razzano's SP was a "hot mess" at Golden West, but he did land 6 triples including his first 3A (he popped his 2nd and didn't attempt 4T) to finish 2nd in the FS (scored 123.26). I liked his new Queen Symphony program at first viewing and look forward to seeing it further developed and refined this season.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Maybe Razzano was given the SA host pick because USFS knew he had no chance of getting a GP invite on his own whereas for Armin there was a slight chance he could, but it just didn't end up working out. Anyway, hope Armin doesn't get discouraged from not getting assigned to 4CC or SA and continues his upward build we saw him display since his move to CO Springs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valyrian View Post
    I'm afraid Armin won't have a chance to rack up international points this season other than an early season senior B.
    Really seems unfair given his placement at Nats.

vCash
    ^Hopefully, Armin will get one of he remaining Senior B competitions this season.

It's beyond my comprehension that someone who has shown such improvement (Vail Open - executing a Quad; 4th at '12 Nats), and been shafted once already by not being selected for 4CC's would continue to be ignored. I hope USFSA officials lurk here and see the error of their ways

vCash
    It's tough for Armin but he's actually in the same situation as a lot of other guys in the US. There are simply a lot of talented skaters competing in the US right now, we have the same issue in ladies, but the difference is that the girls usually get to the senior level at a younger age and therefore can compete on the JGP for a couple to several years while competing domestically as a senior, while for the men, once they age out of the JGP, a lot of them are out of luck in regards to international assignments, as even getting senior Bs is tough. Messing, Aaron, and Mroz all are talented skaters who have had pretty impressive results at Nationals themselves (not talking this year in particular) but also find themselves without any GP assignments, and that's not including the other talented men who are similarly talented by lack the quads and consistent 3As like Cassar, Hochstein, and Dyer who also haven't gotten internationals since aging out of juniors.

vCash
    Scott Dyer (10th at 2012 U.S. Nationals with a total score of 207.97) and Jonathan Cassar (11th at Nationals, 207.75) have never competed on the JGP. Cassar has competed in a Senior B the last 2 seasons - 2010 Finlandia Trophy (7th) and 2011 Ondrej Nepela Memorial (4th).

Grant Hochstein (12th at Nationals, 206.23) competed at 2010 Finlandia (4th) and Skate Canada (10th), as well as at 2011 Nepela (5th). He has shown improvement on his 3A consistency in summer competitions and is scheduled to compete at the Middle Atlantics club competition in NYC this weekend, along with Harrison Choate.

ETA:
    U.S. men with Senior B assignments so far:
    Ross Miner (3rd at Nationals) - Salt Lake City
    Armin Mahbanoozadeh (4th) - Salt Lake City
    Max Aaron (8th) - Salt Lake City
    Timothy Dolensky (2nd in Junior) - Salt Lake City
    Stephen Carriere (6th) - Nebelhorn
    Keegan Messing (7th) - Nebelhorn
    Johnny Weir - Finlandia
    Richard Dornbush (13th) - Finlandia

Remaining Senior Bs listed on USFS' Assignments page are Cup of Nice (France) and Ice Challenge (Graz, Austria).
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-06-2012 at 02:02 AM.

vCash
    Oh, thanks for the clarification, I thought Dyer and Cassar had both competed on the JGP but I guess I was wrong! And I didn't realize that many men were going to the Salt Lake City event but I'm glad they are! Hopefully Armin and Keegan get assigned to Coupe de Nice or Ice Challenge, I feel like those 2 deserve it most!

vCash
    IIRC, Cassar also competed in Coupe de Nice when the US Senior Collegiate medalists were offered the opportunity to compete internationally, paying their own way (I believe it was Coupe de Nice, but it could have been a different event).

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast