Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Re Grant, where do you read such as that? On his official site? As far as Grant supposedly not liking to meet new people, he was able to seamlessly move to new coaches. (Anyways, if he doesn't like meeting new people he probably isn't in much danger of that dreadful prospect if he never moves up much among the ranks of U.S. men). I'll still be able to watch and enjoy Grant's skating regardless of his political leanings, likes, dislikes.

Re Max, he should be the first to sign up with Mroz for ballet, yoga, tai chi and belly dancing -- and they should throw in some music appreciation classes while they're at it.
    I'm pretty certain Grant did a blog with that information in it. In a related note, I understand that Kristi Yamaguchi did a commercial or promo supporting Mitt Romney.
    I believe in freedom of speech and all, but..... Hope nobody thinks I'm a hater as I enjoy(ed) skating from both of them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyskate View Post
    I'm pretty certain Grant did a blog with that information in it.

In a related note, I understand that Kristi Yamaguchi did a commercial or promo supporting Mitt Romney.
    Can someone get a quote from Rudy Galindo? I'm sure he has an opinion on this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dots View Post
    Can someone get a quote from Rudy Galindo? I'm sure he has an opinion on this.
    Indeed, ugh. That ad made me want to stab my ears. I muted it every time. But we're completely off-road and into the gravel on the subject, so I'll leave it at that

Woo, US men, woo!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyskate View Post
    I'm pretty certain Grant did a blog with that information in it. In a related note, I understand that Kristi Yamaguchi did a commercial or promo supporting Mitt Romney.
    I believe in freedom of speech and all, but.....
    Gee, that's nice, considering that it's in the United States Constitution and everything.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    I caught a piece of the ad and did a double-take when KY appeared. But, she probably was just giving her opinion as to how well the 2002 Olympics played out from an athlete's POV.

Anyway, we probably should remain OT

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Article on Douglas Razzano: http://www.goldenskate.com/2012/08/l...gains-stamina/
    “My stamina is coming back, and I’ve been working really hard to get the quad [toe] consistent,” he explained. “I can do it, but I need to be able to do it almost every single time, so that’s taking some focus. Every day in practice, I’m working to reach out and connect more—even if there is nobody in the stands. I’m pushing the boundaries and limits. I’m treating every run through as a performance, because that’s what it really is.”
    Razzano will keep last year’s Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No. 2 short program, but he has a new free skate to Queen Symphony composed by Tolga Kashif—a symphonic version of music by the band Queen.
    “This program is very different for me,” he said. “It’s a bit of a departure, but it’s not a complete departure because it’s a little bit classical, which is my style. The program is very big, and it’s going to require a lot of stamina, a lot of performance, and a lot of over the top things.”
    Razzano choreographed the program in collaboration with his coach (Doug) Ladret and choreographer Sandra Bezic.
    “Doug and I choreographed it, and made it comfortable for me,” he explained. “Sandra Bezic decorated it. She added an arm here and there. It really was a collaborative effort, and she kind of embellished the things that Doug and I needed to do technically, and she decorated it.”
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    This thread has done a good job summarizing the problem with the US men. We have a lot of men with a lot of potential and basically no men who seem to be able to deliver on that potential. Unless someone really figures it out soon, things will continue on the way they have been going. Whoever has a decent performance at nationals will go to worlds where they will most likely be nowhere near the medals.

I love to watch Jeremy but I just don't think he's going to figure it out ever at this point. If we had any more consistent men I'd be hoping that they'd beat him at Nationals. But these days they are all about the same.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    This thread has done a good job summarizing the problem with the US men. We have a lot of men with a lot of potential and basically no men who seem to be able to deliver on that potential. Unless someone really figures it out soon, things will continue on the way they have been going.
    And you can replace "men" with "ladies" and this statement is still largely true.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    This thread has done a good job summarizing the problem with the US men. We have a lot of men with a lot of potential and basically no men who seem to be able to deliver on that potential. Unless someone really figures it out soon, things will continue on the way they have been going. Whoever has a decent performance at nationals will go to worlds where they will most likely be nowhere near the medals.

I love to watch Jeremy but I just don't think he's going to figure it out ever at this point. If we had any more consistent men I'd be hoping that they'd beat him at Nationals. But these days they are all about the same.
    I agree with this. The scary thing is that the top five at US Nationals could be five different guys on any given day. What this also points out, however, is the great depth we have in men's skating.

Title-less
    vCash
    Good depth if we are thinking guys who can place top15 at world. No medal contender tho.
    You need skating skills that can rival the top + a consistent quad for that.
    Given that I think US ladies will start outperforming men again, for many ladies have the potential to place top 8 or 10 at world. A couple may even have medal potential

vCash
    I think Ricky Dornbush will have a better season than last year. I sat next to Sean Rabbitt's mom on Saturday night at Glacier Falls, and she said that Ricky had blade problems last season that have since been diagnosed and corrected. Apparently he was skating the entire time on a crooked blade.

Of course, this is FSU and both no excuse and any excuse are valid. But judging by Ricky's recent performances and his general demeanor, I'd say he's on the right track and should be in the medal hunt at Nationals. He's upping his tech content and working on closing the style gap. For a guy just on the cusp of 21, he's in a good spot.

Without a triple axel, I don't see Jason Brown as being a serious World team contender. The domestic field is just too deep, plus he'd be buried by a senior international panel.

Realistically, the two spots for Worlds are up for grabs among Abbott, Rippon, Miner, Dornbush, and Mahbanoozadeh. Oh, and Weir, I suppose. Maybe an outside shot for Razzano. Maybe Farris, if he doesn't choke again. But the big guns are the first ones I listed. I would expect those six to be the final flight at Nationals, assuming no major errors in the short. From there is mainly boils down to holding it together mentally.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by legjumper View Post
    I think Ricky Dornbush will have a better season than last year. I sat next to Sean Rabbitt's mom on Saturday night at Glacier Falls, and she said that Ricky had blade problems last season that have since been diagnosed and corrected. Apparently he was skating the entire time on a crooked blade.
    Wow. It's interesting that a rival skater's mom offered that info. I find that makes it rather credible.

Of course, this is FSU and both no excuse and any excuse are valid. But judging by Ricky's recent performances and his general demeanor, I'd say he's on the right track and should be in the medal hunt at Nationals. He's upping his tech content and working on closing the style gap. For a guy just on the cusp of 21, he's in a good spot.
    Ambitious in repeating the Quad and 3x! It looks like he's going for 4T, 4T+2T (or 3T)(first 2 jumping passes interchangeable), 3x, (2 min. mark), Rippon 3z+3T (or 2T - depends on Quad combo), 3x+2T+2L, 3L, 3F, 3S!

BTW, Ricky's score at Glacier Falls was 233 pts. Yes, it was just a national summer comp., but still ....

Without a triple axel, I don't see Jason Brown as being a serious World team contender. The domestic field is just too deep, plus he'd be buried by a senior international panel.
    Word. I get the love for his skating skills and style, but he isn't going anywhere w/o a 3x. He really needs it.

Realistically, the two spots for Worlds are up for grabs among Abbott, Rippon, Miner, Dornbush, and Mahbanoozadeh. Oh, and Weir, I suppose. Maybe an outside shot for Razzano. Maybe Farris, if he doesn't choke again. But the big guns are the first ones I listed. I would expect those six to be the final flight at Nationals, assuming no major errors in the short. From there is mainly boils down to holding it together mentally.
    I wish we had more of an idea of what Evan is up to, but otherwise, your list is really accurate. Add Lysacek to your 5 contenders + Weir and that sounds right. I would also say Messing and Aaron have equal outside shots to Razzano. But, Messing seems stagnant, and Aaron has CoP friendly programs thanks to Tom Z, but there are other issues with his Aaron's skating that hold him back. Finally, I wouldn't add Mroz anywhere to the contender's list whatsoever

vCash
    I'll believe Evan is returning to competition when he actually, you know, competes. If he doesn't do this season, then I hope he's planning on Sochi being for the experience rather than to defend his gold medal or even medal at all. It's not that he's not a good skater or has no chance to make the team; it's more that it's so hard to be away from competition so long and then be able to turn it on in the highest pressure situation possible - and this is assuming he even makes the Olympic team, which will be even harder to do if the U.S. only has two spots available.

Keegan Messing is an exciting skater when he's on, but he's just way too erratic to be counted on for two solid back-to-back performances. I also think an international panel would be unkind to him even on a good day.

Max Aaron has some solid skills but just isn't quite ready for prime time yet.

Brandon Mroz seems satisfied with his one trip to Worlds and now is just happy to practice quads. Which is fine, but that's not how you become a national or World champ.

vCash
    Evan tweeted that he will be on the Today Show Friday to make an announcement. Therefore, we should find out on Friday if Evan plans to return to competition this season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    Evan tweeted that he will be on the Today Show Friday to make an announcement. Therefore, we should find out on Friday if Evan plans to return to competition this season.
    As with Johnny, I'll believe it when I see it. At least Johnny has GP assignments and programs announced and so forth.

vCash
    My bet is that Evan will decide not to return to compeition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    My bet is that Evan will decide not to return to compeition.
    I have to disagree. All signs point toward Lysacek returning to competition. The fact that Hilton HHonors is hosting Evan's stay in London speeks volumes.

Hopefully after Evan's announcement, I will have a desire to purchase tickets to the 2012 Hilton HHonors Skate America.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by legjumper View Post
    ....Brandon Mroz seems satisfied with his one trip to Worlds and now is just happy to practice quads. Which is fine, but that's not how you become a national or World champ.
    I think this is an accurate description of Brandon's status today. He's going after jumps he can't land and sacrificing everything else. He still beat Max Aaron score-wise though at Glacier Falls which makes me wonder about the men's pecking order at Chez Tom Z.

I had hopes for him a 2d time when he medalled on the GP circuit in the '10 - '11 season, skating technically strong programs w/ Bezic choreography. But, that recent high point seems to have been just a blip

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    I have to disagree. All signs point toward Lysacek returning to competition. The fact that Hilton HHonors is hosting Evan's stay in London speeks volumes.

Hopefully after Evan's announcement, I will have a desire to purchase tickets to the 2012 Hilton HHonors Skate America.
    This is what I think too.

vCash

Question

I thought Lysacek had already announced his comeback! Didn't he say he would do a Senior B to get the minimum score? Didn't he already skate his new SP wearing a very ugly Wang designed costume at some show a few months a few months ago?

That's probably his big announcement or announcement-again, it really seems a bit too much going on The Today Show from London for it.

Or maybe he's got engaged to Vera Wang!

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast