Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    Really seems unfair given his placement at Nats.
    Maybe he will learn to skate better at the internationals the next time he gets assigned to one - the SLC senior B.
    Last edited by Marco; 09-06-2012 at 08:22 AM.

vCash
    I didn't realize Mroz has no assignments so far. Maybe his "focus on one difficult trick and nothing else for each performance" strategy is not working out so well, especially since he isn't successful with his difficult trick.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Mroz is 42nd on the SB list, just one spot and .09 below Mahbahnoozadeh.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I didn't realize Mroz has no assignments so far. Maybe his "focus on one difficult trick and nothing else for each performance" strategy is not working out so well, especially since he isn't successful with his difficult trick.
    The fact that Mroz has the raw talent of a good jumper - quick, tight rotations and is capable of handling good choreography -Sandra Bezic's OTW- shows if he chose to focus on all aspects of his skating (not just focusing on being the daredevil) he'd be a serious threat to all the top US men and mentioned in the same breathe as Rippon, Miner, etc. But, he's not.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mgobluegirl View Post
    IIRC, Cassar also competed in Coupe de Nice when the US Senior Collegiate medalists were offered the opportunity to compete internationally, paying their own way (I believe it was Coupe de Nice, but it could have been a different event).
    Yes, it's listed in his bio I linked to earlier - 7th at 2008 Coupe de Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Mroz is 42nd on the SB list, just one spot and .09 below Mahbahnoozadeh.
    And Mroz placed 14th at 2012 Nationals, right behind Dornbush.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Yes, it's listed in his bio I linked to earlier - 7th at 2008 Coupe de Nice.

And Mroz placed 14th at 2012 Nationals, right behind Dornbush.
    But Dornbush had a higher SB, respectable 205+ and right out of the top 24, and his WS was in the top 24 so that's why he has international assignments. He probably would have only gotten one had Farris, Yan, and Brown who were all garaunteed a senior GP event each hadn't all chosen to stay junior another year but they did so spots opened up and Ricky got 2.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Not sure why you quoted me since Dornbush getting 2 GPs didn't surprise me at all. It's his extra Senior B assignment (Finlandia) that I was questioning earlier.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Not sure why you quoted me since Dornbush getting 2 GPs didn't surprise me at all. It's his extra Senior B assignment (Finlandia) that I was questioning earlier.
    I think to get him out of competing at sectionals (or regionals?) one of the two because he doesn't have a bye from them due to his nationals placement.

vCash
    I think Finlandia will be a fascinating competition. The US men (Ricky and Johnny) have such contrasting styles. The top international competitors in the field will provide a great measuring stick as well. In particular, I am referring to Yuzuru and Javier.

With Brandon, have not really seen him skate in shows either. Must be very difficult to stay enthusiastic given his current trajectory. Unique jumping prodigy but the density of competition is so tough, seems like one has to have much more across the board.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Armin Mahbanoozadeh headlines this preview for the Salt Lake Senior B competition which starts today: http://www.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    A classically trained pianist, Mahbanoozadeh chooses his music with care, and this season is no exception. His new free skate, choreographed with Catarina Lindgren, is set to music from the British science fiction TV series Dr. Who.

"I wanted a character piece this year," he said. "I talked with Catarina, and we wanted it to be kind of an epic but also have a mischievous aspect to it. I think Dr. Who fits the bill quite well.
    While Mahbanoozadeh hopes to lay down solid programs in Salt Lake City, he is mostly focused on one thing.

"I really want to make a statement with the quads again," he said. "I want everyone to see how consistent I've become. I know that's really important for the U.S., and I want to show I'm a viable candidate for worlds and Olympics."
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-13-2012 at 06:22 PM.

vCash
    Is Nathan Chen skating Seniors domestically this season? If so, he's a (pewter) medal threat.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Is Nathan Chen skating Seniors domestically this season? If so, he's a (pewter) medal threat.
    No, he is remaining Junior in the U.S. this season. I'm glad he is, too. As AMAZING as he is at 13, I assume his growth plates have not yet closed and landing/training all the triples through Axel is tough on a young body.

As soon as the Salt Lake City Senior B men's event ends later today, I'll start a new 2012-13 season general news and discussion thread for the U.S. men.
    ETA here's the link: U.S. Men 2012-13 news, updates & general discussion
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-16-2012 at 01:34 AM.

vCash
    No, he is remaining Junior in the U.S. this season. I'm glad he is, too. As AMAZING as he is at 13, I assume his growth plates have not yet closed and landing/training all the triples through Axel is tough on a young body.
    I can't wait to see what this little man can accomplish once he grows stronger. Please don't grow too tall and lose your jumps, but please grow tall enough so you have more power on that axel.

Farris, Brown and Chen for 2018!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I can't wait to see what this little man can accomplish once he grows stronger. Please don't grow too tall and lose your jumps, but please grow tall enough so you have more power on that axel.

Farris, Brown and Chen for 2018!
    Well he's still tiny, but I could tell Chen has grown since last season, even if it is only a couple inches and maybe 5 or 10 pounds. His legs are longer in proportion to the rest of his body and his shoulders are broader, and his leg muscles more defined. Obviously, at 4'9" he's got quite a bit of growing left to do, but if he's expected to be Oda sized when fully grown, the future changes might not be all that drastic (Oda and even Takahashi are what, 5'4" to 5'5"? He could reach that height in a couple years considering the rate young boys grow). Anyways his technique is so strong that I don't worry about Chen losing his jumps, puberty monster tends to be kinder to guys, and I'm sure extra strength and power will just help him get his 3a even stronger and hopefully allow him to master a quad in the future. But yeah, incredible, it's only September, he's just 13, this is a junior event, he has no international reputation, and yet he just matched the SB of Rippon and Miner, US #2 and 3 senior men, from last season. Amazing! And that was with just one 3a and no quad. Looking at his layout, I think it's feasible the 2a he does as his second jump could feasibly turn into a 3a in combination later in the season, and then he'd just do the 3s on it's own at the end (he doesn't repeat that jump so he doesn't need to do it in combination), and change the 2nd 3f to a 2a. Idk for sure, obviously his current layout is scoring really well as is, I just figured doing 2 3a's is likely his next goal, and considering the 2a is his 2nd jump, it seems plausible.

vCash
    Current 12-13 US Men International Scores-

Nathan Chen 222
    Josh Farris 218
    Jason Brown 185
    Harrison Choate 169
    Jay Yostanto 165
    James Schetelich 124

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    But yeah, incredible, it's only September, he's just 13, this is a junior event, he has no international reputation, and yet he just matched the SB of Rippon and Miner, US #2 and 3 senior men, from last season. Amazing! And that was with just one 3a and no quad.
    And with one fewer element.

Looking at his layout, I think it's feasible the 2a he does as his second jump could feasibly turn into a 3a in combination later in the season, and then he'd just do the 3s on it's own at the end (he doesn't repeat that jump so he doesn't need to do it in combination), and change the 2nd 3f to a 2a. Idk for sure, obviously his current layout is scoring really well as is, I just figured doing 2 3a's is likely his next goal, and considering the 2a is his 2nd jump, it seems plausible.
    It's a new element for him. I wanna bet the short term strategy for the placement of the 2axel is for him to get an immediate second try if he pops the first one. The lutzes and flips are surely placed on 'interesting' spots on the ice so your theory may be true as a more medium term goal - that is, when he goes to JGPF / Jr Worlds (is he old enough?)

Another evidence that he may be contemplating a 2nd 3axel later in the season is in the jump layout. He opens with 2 jumps and does a bunch of other elements first before doing 6 jump passes in a row in the second half. It's as much "Russian with the big opening" as it is maximising that 10% bonus.

vCash
    ^^ Well, said Marco! Anyways you're probably right. Very cleverly constructed program, he's taking notes from Miki Ando with the backloading . Anyways the level of talent among the junior men this season is really incredible! JGPF should be very exciting and impressive should those who have made such a mark at their first events continue to skate well and qualify!

vCash
    No, he is remaining Junior in the U.S. this season. I'm glad he is, too.
    Me, too. I think his staying back in novice another year was a good idea, and staying back in junior is, too. And what if he did make the podium in seniors (which I think he could)? It's not like he can go to Worlds. He won't be age-eligible for Worlds until the post-Olympic year, so there's no need to rush him through.
    The Junior Grand Prix: Where skaters who "come out of nowhere" come from.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    FYI, I've started a new U.S. Men's thread in GSD since the "pre-season" is over: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=84965

I'll copy over the Nathan Chen-related posts from here to there.

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223