Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    Are "Lebanese Pocket Breads" triangular-shaped? The Middle Eastern Bakery in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn makes them - they're wonderful. My MIL used to call them "Syrian bread." She served them with thin pork sausages cooked in a garlic tomato sauce. I settled for some really good pita bread last month with sausage from Faicco's in Brooklyn that I brought back on my last visit, but Pitas are not the same, as you said. The pocket breads are light and airy with a nice crust and a big inside pocket.

Things you lose when you move out of NYC - really good sausages and variety of breads.
    Last edited by FigureSpins; 05-15-2012 at 04:10 PM.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FigureSpins View Post
    Things you lose when you move out of NYC - really good sausages and variety of breads.
    And the cream cheese

I used to live on the Upper West Side - walking distance to Fairway and Citerella, across the Park from Dean and Deluca. Even my corner grocer (the aforementioned Broadway Farms) had a fabulous selection of cheeses - and open 24 hours!

The only food I could never find in NY was a good cheddar. So-called artisanal cheddar from Wisconsin or Vermont was always disappointing, and what was labelled "sharp" was run of the mill "medium" in my books.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    San Francisco has an amazing cheese store on the corner of Polk and Pacific. Not sure if the old owner is still there but if he is, it's a worthwhile experience. He had cheeses from everywhere, including Corsica. And he knew so much about them and how to pair them with foods, it was like a Food Channel show, live.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Thunder & Lightning!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Gypsy, where do you find real Lebanese pocket bread? Pitas are just NOT the same thing. I had a pocket bread sandwich when I was 16 in Beirut & I never forgot how wonderful it was. The meat was grilled lamb with the yogurt dressing. Yum.
    It is not easy. Although here in the St Paul area there are few Lebanese markets (and I have a dear friend who is Lebanese as well).

I have had to settle for pita pockets, but there is also a flat bread company here who has the most amazing flat bread I have ever eaten (not to mention their Lemony Garlic Hummus). And they have the best Baklava I have ever tasted.

Another thing I love is Lavash. Just top with fresh onion, peppers, sliced olives and some sharp cheddar cheese and put in the broiler until the cheese is melted...YUM.

As for good cheese, I think Minnesota has better cheese shops than our neighbor!
    Okay, now I am making myself hungry!!!
    Peace & Love, Gypsy
    Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123