Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Sometimes I make a sardine sandwich. I mash up boneless, skinless sardines with some Dijon mustard, a drop of vinegar, lemon zest and a bit of extra virgin olive oil on rye. The lemon zest (very finely grated) really makes it sing.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    IceAlisa, that combo was part of my Scandinavian heritage, as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post

But I won't say no to a hearty brisket sandwich on rye either, depends on my mood.

sandwich!
    Brisket on rye with horseradish! Heaven!

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Horseradish itself is heaven...

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Brisket on rye with horseradish! Heaven!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Thunder & Lightning!!!
    vCash
    What's not to love about sandwiches!

I love a Monte Christo, original batterd deep fried version (I like a combination Stawberry preserve mixed with sour cream to dip it in)
    BLT (with homegrown tomato, Hellmann's mayonnaise and thick cut bacon)
    I also make a killer Lebonese pocket bread sandwich
    Homemade submarine hoagies
    These are a few of my favorites.
    Peace & Love, Gypsy
    Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

vCash
    In a diner, BLT or a Turkey Club.

Progresso Tuna (in olive oil) with green olives and a little onion on rye-and-pump swirl.

Tomato-basil-mozzarella panini from Panera

Semolina bread hero with salami, prosciutto, fresh mozzarella, marinated mushrooms and roasted red peppers. (with a drizzle of olive oil) Favorite tailgate / picnic sandwich.

My new favorite sandwich is from the Corner Bakery Cafe' in Dallas, TX. D.C. Chicken Salad on whole-grain bread with sunflower seeds. (Roasted chicken, toasted almonds, apples, celery, red onion, currants and a little mayo.) This chain doesn't have a cafe' here, so I make it at home.

vCash
    Diner sandwiches - comfort food - Happy Waitress Special - open faced tuna on rye toast with tomato slices and melted American cheese on top! Yum!

From the Bloc
    vCash
    A thread after my own heart! We love watching Diners, Drive Ins and Dives, and often joke about the sandwiches we'd serve at our own place. Here are our favourites:

Beef on weck - thank you again to FSUer Badams from bringing this one to my attention! - we don't have actual kummelweck rolls around here, so we make caraway butter and serve the sandwich on ciabatta, but otherwise we are true to the real thing. We even bought a meat slicer just so we could do this one right.

Broadway Farms special - an homage to the local supermarket deli where I lived in New York - shaved roast beef, vinagery slaw, slice of mild cheddar and Russian dressing on a roll - LOVE.

Saturday night special - we often have this satisfying sammie before going out - sauteed peppers and onions on a roll with herb salad (finely chopped parsley, chives, thyme, basil, whatever you have) and a slice of provolone. Hubby likes his with mushrooms too.

Tuna melt - over the years I've added minced red pepper and chopped cilantro to the usual mayo/celery/onions. Top with a slice of tomato on any type of bread or pita, broil with a slice of cheddar. This one is my cat's particular favourite - I swear he knows when I'm even thinking about making this.

Tea sandwiches!!!! Love a plate of these with tea, followed of course by scones with jam and cream - cucumber, white pepper and fresh mint on white bread spread with cream cheese; Coronation Chicken (my version is chicken, celery, golden raisins, curry powder and mayo) on brown bread; creamed avocado with thin slices of tomato; shredded radish with poppy seeds creamed into cream cheese or homemade butter, served open face because it's so pretty.

Chicken salad - I don't eat chicken much any more, but when I did, my favourite was to get all the bits off a carcass and make a salad with onions, lots of pepper and mayo, and shaker parmesan cheese and served that on toast with lots of shredded lettuce.

Love a banh mi! This is the first version we tried, and since then we've made them with sliced pork, subbed in braunschweiger for the pate, and tried this version with pork meatballs - the flavours are so great together that it's fun to try variations, no?

BLTs, sure, but as a kid I eventually pared it down to the best parts, and from time to time still make one of my favourite comfort foods, a BLT, hold the BL! Sliced tomatoes on well buttered toast with loads of mayo and pepper - doesn't get much better than that. I always make this when we score really fresh tomatoes.

And gooey grill cheese from a diner is the best. I don't like the idea of process cheese so I don't have it at home, so once or twice a year I indulge - love it with a buttery, finger licking outside, oozy inside, and lots of ketchup to dip.

And Grannyfan I love pimiento cheese! I have it on crackers though, and use the version in the excellent book by Martha Hall Foose called Screen Doors and Sweet Tea.

vCash
    If we're talking strictly "sandwich" (not counting your various cheeseburgers or grilled cheese), the best sandwich I ever had was the Hot Sicilian at TGI Fridays. It was ham, pepperoni, mozzarella cheese and bacon (heart attack on a plate, right?). There was a little bit of some sort of salad dressing on it (and shredded lettuce and a tomato, which I took off). The grease ran down the side of your hand, but boy, was that good. I used to moan. They stopped making them a long time ago. They stopped making steak on a stick too, which was my favorite before I tried the Hot Sicilian. I haven't been to Friday's since both of those were gone.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I had a Subway Blackforest ham and provolone on flat bread with lot of veggies today.

BLT - my fave
    Crab cake or soft shell crab.
    Oyster po boy
    Pulled pork with cole slaw on top.
    Italian cold cut panini
    roast beef and provolone on rye with dijon mustard and mayo,
    crusin's mozz/tom.
    Tomato salt pepper mayo sourdough or white bread

Fave store brand: Corner Bakery Chicken Pomodori. (high cal!)

I also like PotBelly.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    All these sandwiches sound SOOOOOOOO good, I want to eat one right now. But I am in the midst of a strict low-carb diet--I've got two or three weeks left and I have to stick to the plan. Damn.

I will not cheat, I will not cheat...

vCash
    Sliced Turkey and warm Brie on a warm baguette with a raspberry mayo.

vCash
    There is sometimes nothing better than a good old toasted cheese sandwich.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Mini Ice would agree.

from Speedy Death

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Indeed. I have taken to using several different cheeses at once: sharp cheddar, Muenster, and some Spainsh white cheeses I can't remember the name....but they're heaven! of course, the best part is that you have to totally butter the bread on the outside before frying it in the pan. At least that's my way...

Here's another weird one I adore: peanut butter and dill pickle....

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Favourite sandwich? Anything that doesn't have cheese. Spawn of the devil.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    All these sandwiches sound SOOOOOOOO good, I want to eat one right now. But I am in the midst of a strict low-carb diet--I've got two or three weeks left and I have to stick to the plan. Damn.

Been there done that - stay strong! When you get to the point where you can up your carb count a little, look for brands of bread that do extra thin slices (I think Pepperidge has one, and a brand we can get here called Hollywood Thins), and try either half sandwiches or open faced so you only eat one slice, but still get all the enjoyment of a sandwich.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post

Make some oopsie rolls and have a sandwich: http://www.food.com/recipe/cleochatr...e-rolls-292261
    Sometimes I think I lost something really important to me, and it turns out I already ate it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    What's not to love about sandwiches!

I love a Monte Christo, original batterd deep fried version (I like a combination Stawberry preserve mixed with sour cream to dip it in)
    BLT (with homegrown tomato, Hellmann's mayonnaise and thick cut bacon)
    I also make a killer Lebonese pocket bread sandwich
    Homemade submarine hoagies
    These are a few of my favorites.
    Gypsy, where do you find real Lebanese pocket bread? Pitas are just NOT the same thing. I had a pocket bread sandwich when I was 16 in Beirut & I never forgot how wonderful it was. The meat was grilled lamb with the yogurt dressing. Yum.

When I make grilled cheese I put a slice of black forest ham on it with mustard & sometimes sweet pickle relish.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast