Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post
    5. I have yet to find a mascara that doesn't cause circles around my eyes within two hours.
    I had exactly the same problem. Drove me crazy until I found this: Estee Lauder Double Wear Mascara Doesn’t smudge at all, even when I rub my eyes, but still washes off with soap & water. I use the EL Lash Primer as well.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    i dont see how any of the US BB creams are different from tinted moisturizer

also, i'm very oily but i still think powder sets in lines i didnt even know i had and makes me look old and crepey
    I've heard pretty much the same thing about all the new American BB creams that have suddenly shown up on the market. Musings Of A Muse discusses it in better detail. I'll stick with Tinted Moisturizer until things change fully.

As for powder, Clinique's Super Balanced is the only stuff that doesn't settle and manages to last all day. Otherwise, I can only use a SUPER thin/light setting powder over foundation on certain areas like my nose and chin. I surprisingly found Maybelline's translucent mineral powder is perfect for this, with a brush that dusts it as opposed to pressing it in.

Quote Originally Posted by nypanda View Post
    Mary Kay girl here...
    Colour me on board with this line of late. A friend sells it and has sold me into it. The cream eyeshadows are fantastic with colours I've been seeking for AGES. It's crease-proof and I forget I have it on. The Ultimate mascara is perfect for day to day wear, and I just put it through two baseball games. I've generally had to stick to waterproof when I play, but I find pretty much all waterproof formulas are chalky and too prone to clumping.

I'm excited to get into the tinted moisturizers and get my own under eye concealer. I used my friend's, and I loved it. In the meantime, I've used Maybelline's Magic Eraser concealer in a pretty highlight/pinkish colour that was suggested as a good Touche Eclat dupe. Pretty much if I'm going to go drugstore brand, it's Maybelline first. I'm just finding myself generally happy with their products lately.
    "How you treat the weak is
    Your true nature calling" -- Jane's Addiction

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    what korean brands of bb creme do you like? my korean market sells beauty products but i havent looked for bb creme there.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

In the middle of a hair war with Alena Leonova.
    vCash
    what korean brands of bb creme do you like? my korean market sells beauty products but i havent looked for bb creme there.
    There's a million brands, but my favorite is Dr. Young. On the more expensive side!

Amongst the best of the not-so-expensive ones are Skin79 (specifically - the Hot Pink one is more moisturizing, the Gold Plus is more matte; doesn't make you look cakey, doesn't feel gross at the end of the day), Missha (definitely a more "make-up" feel and look, and a little perfumy, but most everyone swears by it), and then there's Etude House and Hanskin (haven't tried them yet).

Missha Perfect Cover (red) has the most shades - from crazy albino (13), to just normal pale person (21), to the default beige look (23), getting up to my level of tan (27), and then really tan (31).

In spirit, all of them are supposed to oxidize and blend to your actual color, but I would definitely say the "one shade" Korean ones are very pale.

I think the best shade for both Asian and white people of medium complexion is Clinique 02.

If you get "shimmery", that means that you'll literally have crushed pearls on your face. And gold means that there's apparently gold in it.

A trick: I'm told the "men's" BB cream is actually just more tan and sweatproof. So if that's for you, go for it! I should try some.

The best at Sephora is Dr. Jart (you look frighteningly perfect), but I felt a little clogged at the end of the day. They have Clinique too. I don't like all the others there.

I say this: Go to the Korean market, start at the beauty counter, let the eager lady run a bunch of swatches on your face with each of her fingers, like warpaint, walk around and get some muscat gummies and stare at the many varieties of Pocky and all the crazy models on the Palty boxes, then come back and see all the color "settled", and decide!

vCash
    Thanks so much, everyone! I'm totally not a makeup girl and had been blessed with skin that makes most people envious. But I'm starting to face the facts of age, and my skin isn't what it was 10 years ago My job also expects that I wear some makeup.

Two more questions:

First, Sally Hansen used to make a product called Invisible Lip Liner. It went on clear, and it would prevent your lipstick from going any further than the edges of your lip. I can't find it in stores anymore and think it was probably discontinued. Is there another product like this?

Second, I sweat a lot, and in the summer I'll sweat even more. Are any foundations particularly bad for sweaty people?

And I'll contribute this website in case people aren't aware: current cosmetics gift-with-purchase offers

Quote Originally Posted by beepbeep View Post
    I have the same problem as you. Go for gel liners. I use Smashbox's and it stays on forever
    Which one is that on the Smashbox page?

i dont see how any of the US BB creams are different from tinted moisturizer
    What are BB creams? I never heard of them before. And I assume tinted moisturizers are what they sound like, but how do they differ from foundations?

Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    I have been a makeup junkie all my life, and I've gone from snob to drug-store choices and I'm just as happy with the less expensive. I used to never touch anything that wasn't Lauder or one of the upper end store brands. Now I've discovered L'Oriel and Revlon, and I swear they are just as good.
    I went to the drugstore today, and I don't know how to choose the right color because you can't test them. How it looks in the bottle isn't always how it looks on your skin. Is there a way to get some mini-samples to find your right color?

Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    I know this sounds crazy, but I absolutely recommend taking a razor and shaving your face in downward motions. This is nothing but a simple and very effective exfoliant. I've been doing it for 30 years, and believe me, it does NOT promote facial hair growth!! Different products work for different people.
    you don't cut yourself? What kind of razor do you use, and what kind of shaving cream?

Quote Originally Posted by nypanda View Post
    Mary Kay girl here
    How do I buy Mary Kay products? I don't know any Mary Kay sales reps.

Resident Rude Brazilian
    In a million depressions over the end of the World Cup
    vCash

Which one is that on the Smashbox page?
    Jet Set, Midnight black
    Dá-lhe, Isadora!!
    Lead me not into temptation. I can find it, and eat it, all by myself.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    What are BB creams? I never heard of them before. And I assume tinted moisturizers are what they sound like, but how do they differ from foundations?

I went to the drugstore today, and I don't know how to choose the right color because you can't test them. How it looks in the bottle isn't always how it looks on your skin. Is there a way to get some mini-samples to find your right color?
    BB creams are apparently "beauty balms." I hadn't heard of them until my last foray onto the Sephora website, so can't help you there.

Tinted moisturizers are less pigmented than foundations, and give lighter coverage. It's probably a good idea for you, since you aren't used to seeing yourself with makeup on. I usually only wear concealer on my red spots, and when I go all the way with foundation, I think I look like a mannequin. Some people even make them by mixing their favorite facial moisturizer with powder foundation.

IIRC, many drugstores will take makeup returns if it's the wrong color, even if you've opened it. Not many stores have samples of them. I think it's cause they're so cheap already, why bother? If you go to Sephora and ask for a sample, they'll happily give you one. But yeah, Sephora has the higher-end stuff. Not sure if Ulta does the same. Ulta carries drugstore brands as well as some of the brands Sephora carries.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    IIRC, many drugstores will take makeup returns if it's the wrong color, even if you've opened it.
    Yes, Rite Aid, CVS, Walgreens and Walmart will all take back used cosmetics with a receipt. Ulta and Sephora will take back items with or without a receipt, but Ulta is more begrudging than Sephora if you don't have a receipt.

HOWEVER, Target does not take back used cosmetics, so buy your Sonia Kashuk and Boots No. 7 wisely.

vCash
    How do I buy Mary Kay products? I don't know any Mary Kay sales reps.
    Try this:
    http://www.marykay.com/whatsnew/newp...s/default.aspx

If you decide to contact a consultant there's a portal for that, too.
    I've been happily using Mary Kay products for over thirty years.

vCash
    So I've never been a makeup girl, but age and my job are increasingly demanding it. So I'm looking for your fine wisdom.

1. There are all these primers out there--foundation primers, eye makeup primers, even mascara primers. I had never heard of primers until a few years ago. Do I really need them?

Answer: Depends on what you are looking for. I personally love primers. Eye primers definitely make eye shadow last longer, the color more vibrant and prevents creasing if you have oily lids. If you have normal or dry skin on eye lids like me, primers help the eye shadow adhere to something and the colors stay truer longer.
    2. I'm looking for a foundation that has at least SPF 15, preferably more, is oil-free, and doesn't clog pores. Light to moderate coverage. Recommendations please!!
    What are you looking to spend? A good drugstore brand is Revlon colorstay or Rimmel. Mid to higher end brands I would recommend Bobbi Brown, Makeup Forever, Nars, Lancome and Estee Lauder. You can try M.A.C. but in my opinion for the price of MAC you can spend a little more and get an Estee Lauder foundation. Estee Lauder is the owner and makes MAC products. But they do it better under the tag Estee Lauder. Nars foundations are some of the best on the market.

I would go get some samples first before buying the product of the mid to higher end brands. The sample will last you 3 to 5 days and you'll get to see how the products for you, outside of the store. Sephora is a great store that offers a lot of brands and they give a good size samples too.

Non clogging pores products in my opinion are false advertisement. I'll tell you why. People think oil free you won't break out and that these products are for those with oily skin. True be told all skin needs some amount of moisture and natural oils provide a good way to moisturize. Also, any product and break anyone out. A product that may break me out may not do the same with you. Oil free products can clog pores too. The keep to non clogging pores is wash all the makeup off and exfoliate.

I would recommend a powder foundation over a liquid if you have oily skin.

[/quote]

3. Do you need both powder and foundation, or is foundation enough? If you need powder too, then I'm also looking for a powder that doesn't clog pores. If it has SPF, then even better. The more SPF, the better.

4. I have yet to find any eyeliner that doesn't cause circles around my eyes within a few hours. I've tried pencils, liquid, semi-liquid, you name it.

5. I have yet to find a mascara that doesn't cause circles around my eyes within two hours.

Urban Decay 24/7 or Makeup Forever Aqua Eye liners are THE BEST. Pencil form of these are great. Mascara is tricky. Waterproof or water resistant mascaras may help you but they are freaky pain to get out and they can damage lashes over time with prolonged use. You may want to try a lash primer(mascara base) or do not put mascara on the lower lashes. I just use a good gel or pencil liner on the water and lash line. Use waterproof or water resistant liners though.

6. How important it is it to have good makeup brushes?

7. What is the best way to clean your makeup brushes?

I say good brushes are a must. You only need a few good brushes. Try Sigma brushes. They are very economical as are Ecotools and Sonia Kashuk. M.A.C brushes are excellent and bit more expensive. Different brushes from different brands.

If you want can give you some actual brushes I would suggest for eyes and face.

I clean my brushes with Dawn dishwashing soap and a little olive oil(if they are natural bristles brushes). It's better than the brush cleaners and less expensive. This is the best video I"ve found on how to clean brushes. The video's author, Michelle Phan is a fantastic makeup artist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVdciJkmb7o&hd=1
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz View Post
    I say good brushes are a must. You only need a few good brushes. Try Sigma brushes. They are very economical as are Ecotools and Sonia Kashuk. M.A.C brushes are excellent and bit more expensive. Different brushes from different brands.

If you want can give you some actual brushes I would suggest for eyes and face.
    Can I ask for suggestions? I'm trying to expand my very limited makeup skills and collection and I haven't the slightest re where to start. One thing, though: I can't get many of the products that are easily available in the US, at least not for a reasonable price. My parents will be going to the West Coast this summer, so I can have my mom pick some things up for me, but this means they have to be 1. really easy to find and 2. relatively inexpensive, because there's only so much I can ask for Oh, and I don't use anything animal tested, which isn't as relevant for brushes but I figured I'd just add that.

Any thoughts?

vCash
    Though I occasionally buy one primer or foundation to have on hand, I never use it. For many years I have simply used Neutrogena Oil Free Moisturizer, spf 15--the plain one without tint, though they do have a tinted one.

Cover Girl Clean Pressed Powder has been what I use over it--and that is all I really need. I like that it provides some coverage without having liquid makeup all over my face.

I did buy the Garnier BB, and it was nice, but it only reminded me I don't like wearing tinted moisturizers. I think the difference with BB's is that they also contain some products used for antiaging, etc, whereas tinted moisturizers are usually mainly moisturizer and a little color.

I was having trouble with eyeliner last summer so I switched to Revlon colorstay, and that really works/stays on.

As for mascara, my main concern is to have no clumping and to have a real brush...I hate all of the new mascaras with that plastic brush. I use Revlon Grow Luscious and Loreal Lash Out. The Revlon helps my lashes growth a little bit, but I don't like to use it every day. They both stay on nicely though.

Editing to add-- I avoid products that require a brush. I love Revlon Cream blush.... it is a great blush that is easy to apply with your fingers. I just don't like the hassle of brushes, and so far no product that I use requires it except for when I occasionally wear eyeshadow, and those often come with a little brush.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    [QUOTE=Gazpacho;3569663]
    you don't cut yourself? What kind of razor do you use, and what kind of shaving cream? QUOTE]

I actually was instructed to do this by a dermatologist I went to when I was about 33 years old. I am now 64, and most people meeting me think I am between 45-50. I truly think exfoliating this way has made a huge difference in the fact that my skin hasn't aged as much as I expected.

The dermatologist told me to wash my face with whatever cleanser I used, making sure the skin was clean. He then said to take Dove soap and put a good lather all over my face. Then I used (and still use) a simple cheap men's razor-the disposable kind. You simply and very lightly scrape the lather off in downward motions. You don't bear down hardly at all.

In 31 years, I have yet to cut myself. I don't use Dove soap anymore though. I use Clarin's Exfoliant with Orange. It just works for me. However, when I first started doing this, another girlfriend was also doing it (still is) and she told me all models and actresses shave their faces. of course, that was then...but I always still look closely at photos of famous faces. It is easy to spot who does and who doesn't by the downy hair that everyone has somewhere on their face. Plus, those who "do" seem to have better skin tone and clarity.

Just try it! Don't be scared!

Edited to say....and of course you aren't going to grow a beard or anything like that!! Unless you have a hormone imbalance or some other physical ailment that promotes estrogen being replaced by testosterone, you aren't going to sprout hairs that weren't there before, or make the ones you shave off any darker or thicker than they originally were, which is usually a pale, fine hair anyway.
    Last edited by Holley Calmes; 05-16-2012 at 08:17 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexa5 View Post
    As for mascara, my main concern is to have no clumping and to have a real brush...I hate all of the new mascaras with that plastic brush.
    Agreed! Maybelline Full 'n Soft waterproof is my favorite. It's the closest thing I've been able to find to replace Max Factor Lashfinity (RIP).

Zemgirl, do you have Walmart? They have a nice range of very inexpensive brushes that are actually high quality. I particularly love their powder brush. The two-tone hair brushes and the white hair brushes are the best.

Here's a link to a review and pictures, though some have been discontinued (the deluxe duo eye set, the short white eye brush):

http://karlasugar.net/2010/04/the-brushes-of-walmart/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    Zemgirl, do you have Walmart? They have a nice range of very inexpensive brushes that are actually high quality. I particularly love their powder brush. The two-tone hair brushes and the white hair brushes are the best.
    No Walmart... basically no American big box stores or drugstores. No Sephora, either. Maybe one day? We have been getting more clothing brands in recent years so I am cautiously optimistic (though I'm still quite envious when reading through the what to wear thread).

I think I might be able to order stuff from Amazon and ship it to some US-base friends, though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Can I ask for suggestions? I'm trying to expand my very limited makeup skills and collection and I haven't the slightest re where to start. One thing, though: I can't get many of the products that are easily available in the US, at least not for a reasonable price. My parents will be going to the West Coast this summer, so I can have my mom pick some things up for me, but this means they have to be 1. really easy to find and 2. relatively inexpensive, because there's only so much I can ask for Oh, and I don't use anything animal tested, which isn't as relevant for brushes but I figured I'd just add that.

Any thoughts?
    Sigma Brushes are online and I think they ship internationally.

Sigma Beauty

Face and Eye kits

I would recommend the eye kit @$52 or get the eye kit or the face kit. Ecotools and real techniques are good also. Real Techniques Brushes are made by makeup artist Samantha Chapman who has a youtube channel called Pixiwoo which has a cult following on youtube. Sam is a fantastic makeup artist and the tutorials are great. Real Technique brushes are very affordable.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    uk.spacenk.com delivers to israel. i love their concealer.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexa5 View Post

As for mascara, my main concern is to have no clumping and to have a real brush...I hate all of the new mascaras with that plastic brush. I use Revlon Grow Luscious and Loreal Lash Out. The Revlon helps my lashes growth a little bit, but I don't like to use it every day. They both stay on nicely though.

FYI, clumping is mostly caused by human error. Everyone should be wiping off the excess mascara from the brush before applying it on a paper towel, most don't do that.Most people remove the wand from tube and they jump go to work on their lashes, applying two to three coats from the get go. This will cause clumping of mascara.

Another reason is the brush or formula. Different mascara formulas work for different lashes. Creamy to dry or wet formula. Different texture for lashes require different formulas.

Also, the bigger the brush the more product is applied to the lashes. I like some of the plastic brushes, diorshow's iconic and urban decay skyscraper have incredible brushes but these mascaras are for definining and lengthening. The brush is more like a comb.

I've tested at least 35 mascaras of the years and this has been my experience.

Also, I'll be updating my blog later today. http://getting-pretty.com

vCash
    Sigma Brushes are online and I think they ship internationally.
    I would recommend the eye kit @$52 or get the eye kit or the face kit. Ecotools and real techniques are good also. Real Techniques Brushes are made by makeup artist Samantha Chapman who has a youtube channel called Pixiwoo which has a cult following on youtube. Sam is a fantastic makeup artist and the tutorials are great. Real Technique brushes are very affordable.
    Oh, I've seen some of the Pixiwoo tutorials - it's certainly beyond my abilities to replicate what she does but you've got to start somewhere, right?

I looked at the Sigma website and they do ship worldwide, though they don't state the rates until you're at checkout (argh). But I can get some Ecotools and Real Techniques brushes on Amazon so I might do that instead.

Thanks so much! And also thank you my little pony for the suggestions. The cost of makeup and cosmetics here is obscene.

snarking for AZE
    vCash

Another reason is the brush or formula. Different mascara formulas work for different lashes. Creamy to dry or wet formula. Different texture for lashes require different formulas.
    this is true for all types of makeup, but esp for mascara in my experience

i buy every mascara recommended to me and my eyelashes rebel every time

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast