Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

Makeup questions and recommendations

So I've never been a makeup girl, but age and my job are increasingly demanding it. So I'm looking for your fine wisdom.

1. There are all these primers out there--foundation primers, eye makeup primers, even mascara primers. I had never heard of primers until a few years ago. Do I really need them?

2. I'm looking for a foundation that has at least SPF 15, preferably more, is oil-free, and doesn't clog pores. Light to moderate coverage. Recommendations please!!

3. Do you need both powder and foundation, or is foundation enough? If you need powder too, then I'm also looking for a powder that doesn't clog pores. If it has SPF, then even better. The more SPF, the better.

4. I have yet to find any eyeliner that doesn't cause circles around my eyes within a few hours. I've tried pencils, liquid, semi-liquid, you name it.

5. I have yet to find a mascara that doesn't cause circles around my eyes within two hours.

6. How important it is it to have good makeup brushes?

7. What is the best way to clean your makeup brushes?

Thank you!!
    Last edited by Gazpacho; 05-12-2012 at 03:10 AM.

Resident Rude Brazilian
    In a million depressions over the end of the World Cup
    vCash
    May I introduce you to Glamour Puss??
    We're in thread 4 already. Available for all of your beauty, make up, nails, cosmetics, parfums, etc needs.

I'll try to anwer some of your questions

1. I personally really like primers. They conceal the pores, can disguise fine lines and have your make up stay on for longer.
    Face wise, I think if your make up stays in without you needing to touch up all the time, you don't need primer (I use it mainly because my skin is really oily). They are also a good option for when you really need your make up to be perfect, like for a big event. Eye shadow primer is a must for me. Without it, almost every eye shadow will crease on the lids. With it, I can wear the cheapest stuff around and it will stay on.

2. I'm not so good with foundation... I wear a thicker coat of MAC Studio Fix or my Guerlain foundation.

3. Again, optional. I only wear foundation+concealer+poweder when I really need to look good. Usually is just moisturizer with spf 50 + concealer + powder. I really like Studio Fix and I used to have a Dior Powder that was awsome. Wished I remember the name... Both have SPF.

4. I have the same problem as you. Go for gel liners. I use Smashbox's and it stays on forever.
    Lancome's Art Liner is also really really good.
    The eyeshadow primer also helps with that.

5. Did you try waterproof?? I wear the Maybelline ones, and I have no issues to report.

6. Good make up brushes make it much easier to obtain a good result. Powder, blush and an angle brush for eyeliner would be the essentials for me.
    A wedge sponge is also very useful for foundation.

7. I wash mine with baby shampoo and warm water until the water comes out clean. Always wash your brushes before you use them for the first time.

Hope it helps a bit.
    I'm pretty sure the other Glamour Pusses will give you plenty more information.
    Dá-lhe, Isadora!!
    Lead me not into temptation. I can find it, and eat it, all by myself.

vCash
    This is a cool website site with video tutorials you can watch on your computer. I like there make-up as well. I use the tinted moisturizer and powder every day. The sunscreen in them is fabulous. The only thing I don't like is their mascara. I use either Lancome or one from Shoppers Drug Mart called Lash Out.

https://janeiredale.com/
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    1. Honestly, I rarely use primers, except if I need my make-up to last a really long time. I mostly just use the eyeshadow one because eye shadow tends to rub off my skin.

2. I'm a big fan of L'Oreal's True Match Super Blendable foundation. I've been using it for YEARS. It's easily available in most drug stores; comes in many shades and has SPF 17. I apply it with wedge sponges.

3. I personally use both, because I like the finish with powder. I prefer pressed powder, but some people like loose. I've used Clinique's Stay Matte for a long time; though this does not have SPF. Clinique also has an "Almost Powder" which is a very light finish (which sounds like something you might like) and does have SPF 15. I've also used Shiseido Sun Protection Compact Foundation, which as SPF 34, and it was absolutely fantastic.

4. I've had a lot of the same problem, since I have oily skin. Personally, I prefer pencil liners. Makeup Forever's Aqua Eyes eyeliner has been one of the best I've tried. Tokidoki Perfetto Eyeliner, which was recommended to me by mlp, has also been pretty good.

I can't answer 5 & 6, but a makeup artist once told me that in lieu of the fancy brush cleaners, she just uses baby shampoo to clean hers.

One thing that you could consider is going to a makeup counter or Sephora and having one of the employees there do your makeup, so she or he can suggest what products might be good for your skin type and coloring, and you can also see what you like on you.

I hope this helps! Do check out the Glamour Puss thread; there is excellent advice there.

vCash
    I pretty much use M.A.C for everything...

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    I have been a makeup junkie all my life, and I've gone from snob to drug-store choices and I'm just as happy with the less expensive. I used to never touch anything that wasn't Lauder or one of the upper end store brands. Now I've discovered L'Oriel and Revlon, and I swear they are just as good.

But regardless of what you use, if you don't start out with good skin as a foundation, it's going to be less effective. A really good skin care regimen is essential. I know this sounds crazy, but I absolutely recommend taking a razor and shaving your face in downward motions. This is nothing but a simple and very effective exfoliant. I've been doing it for 30 years, and believe me, it does NOT promote facial hair growth!! Different products work for different people. I do use three products that are not cheap but two of them are not super expensive-Clarin's One Step Exfoliator and also their Beauty Flash Balm under my makeup. I confess to using La Mer at night.

There is also an incredible product by Zia called "Instant face Lift." If you can find it-get it. It is a mask that promotes blood flow, and it takes off about 5-10 years and lasts 24 hours.

As for makeup-I have found Revlon to be good for my skin. They have just repackaged what I use, and it's a shame because the foundation came with it's own brush built in. I had three different shades (it was very inexpensive) and could put pale highlights under the eyes and on cheekbones, darker tones under the neck and cheek hollows, and on either side of my nose. Then a medium shade everywhere else-blended in with a foam cube.

I have also found cheap ole Rimmel mascara works best for me.

But yes, brushes are essential. I just wash with soap and water. I've also found that eyeliner doesn't smudge if you find a cake powder liner and use a very small paintbrush. Just wet the brush, rub it in the shadow, and create your own liquid eyeliner. The brush gives you more control over what you are doing. And it doesn't smudge!

Gosh-I didn't mean to write so much! But I do love my makeup.

vCash
    I am not a makeup expert to say the least. However, I have had the same problem with the racoon eyes and there have only been two eyeliners that have worked for me. Oleada is right....Makeup Forever Aqua Eyes is fabulous. I remember someone telling me it's what the synchronized swimmers use, and I believe it. It stays put until you take it off. The other eyeliner that I use that works is Urban Decay. Not a surprise, there. I have never tried their eye primer, but I hear that it's one of the best, so it's one of the things I plan to add to my teeny tiny collection. Again, it doesn't move. I haven't looked at Makeup Forever lately, but I know that Urban Decay has a great color selection, which would be my only reason for leaning to it.
    Last edited by FiveRinger; 05-12-2012 at 09:17 PM.
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    1. It depends on your skin, the consistency of your foundation and moisturizer. If you are having eye makeup issues, you might want to consider the eye primer.

2. I'm looking for a foundation that has at least SPF 15, preferably more, is oil-free, and doesn't clog pores. for foundation w sunscreen i like clinique's even better. I also like tinted moisturizer, esp at this time of year. The neutrogena skin glow sheer hsa spf 30.

3. you dont have to have powder, i personally can stand it and never wear it

4. tokidoki perfetto

5. mally, the orig volumizing not waterproof

6. depending on what you choose to wear, you might not need that many

7.shampoo
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    I've seen that powder can make fine lines and wrinkles stand out, so if your skin has them, it may be best to avoid the powder.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Nars or Lancome for anything and everything Nars has the best primer that I have ever tried.
    Last edited by cruisin; 05-13-2012 at 04:42 AM.

vCash
    Mary Kay girl here -- I've used it since I was 21 which was...a long time ago. I'm a big fan of both the Lash Love and Ultimate mascaras -- while not water proof, they are water resistant, and will flake off in moisture instead of run. Also a fan of foundation primer -- just know that a little goes a LONG way, and when you use it, you shouldn't, then, need to use powder.

Almost everything MK has now has an SPF of 25 or higher. I use a combination of Day Solution SPF 35, tinted moisturizer with SPF, primer (with SPF) and then mineral powder foundation instead of liquid. Could be overkill of SPF, but I don't think it hurts.

I recently had a facial at a fancy spa, and the technician was amazed at my skin.

In the middle of a hair war with Alena Leonova.
    vCash
    2. BB cream. Hullo. As my friend said to me a month after I kept sending crazy BB cream emails, "OK, I am now on the BB Band Wagon. I look like a beautiful porcelain doll and I'm going to cry."

Basically, you end up looking like you're not wearing any make-up, but you were just BORN PERFECT. And remained that way through adulthood.

Problem with them, though, is that the new American brands just seem like random liquid/creme foundation to me. I don't see how the formulation is different. But depending on what your shade is, it might be hard to find the right one. American brands tend to be very pink, whereas Korean brands are usually way too pale (gray, if you will) - even the "tan" colors I find to be too "peanutty".

However, if you find one you like, it's like a friggin' one step make-up miracle. Covers your pores, moisturizes, eliminates redness, evens color, hella strong SPF, not heavy at all, non-clogging, etc. There are more matte/powdery ones, ones that shimmer (with crushed pearls!), and ones that make you look dewey. Hell, there are ones with BLACK CAVIAR and GOLD in them (which of course make me a little suspicious). Not to mention the ones with snail mucus and bird shit (I'm serious).

Personally, I don't like any American Sephora/department store brands except Clinique (color-wise), and maaaybe Too Faced. Of the Korean brands, Dr. Young is super lightweight, doesn't make you feel gross after a whole day of wear, makes you look like you just have perfect natural skin. Of the cheaper, more popular ones, I like Skin79 over Missha.

Mmm hmm, loves me some BB cream.

vCash
    I have from time to time been interested in the "Don't Go to the Cosmetic Counter Without Me" books by Paula B-something. She is now on her 8th edition and she also has a website called "beautypedia". We are constantly bombarded with weird sounding names of ingredients that supposedly enhance the product so much and therefore justify the outrageous price. She does comparisons from brand to brand and certainly clears up any false advertising or inflated claims. So often there are way cheaper alternatives that are as good or better, according to her research. I am also really into the free gifts with purchase promotions that cosmetic counters offer. I buy the cheapest thing I can to reach the minimum requirement and get to try products I would not try otherwise. I have found some great lipstick colours that way.
    pug lover

vCash
    I'm also putting in a good word for MAC's Studio Fix foundation. Only liquid foundation that doesn't clog my pores and does a good job of keeping my oil under control. Their new prep&prime pencil/brush thingie is also great, really helps with dark circles.
    I still need to find eye makeup that doesn't melt off after a few hours though.

gold dust woman
    vCash
    I like foundation primers, and I can't live without eyeshadow primer--my shadow used to crease every day (after about 4-6 hours) and now I almost never have creasing. I use Urban Decay primer potion and ELF mineral eye primer.

I like L'Oreal true match foundations too...but I also try to wear something with SPF under my foundation.

If you are oily like me, you need powder too. Powder sets the whole look too, so I think it's needed.

I use liquid liner and eye primer, so I never have circles from my liner any more...I used to (every day) before I used primer and liquid liner.

Even though I'm oily, I have dry eyes so I don't have issues with mascara smudges. I'm told that waterproof is better for that...

I don't think high-end brushes are that worth it. Most of my brushes are from the ELF Studio line, and I love them. They are cheap and they LAST! http://www.eyeslipsface.com/studio/b...es+elf&wm_sd=1

I use baby shampoo to wash my brushes, and it does work. Plus, it's a budget option.

gold dust woman
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintuple View Post
    2. BB cream. Hullo. As my friend said to me a month after I kept sending crazy BB cream emails, "OK, I am now on the BB Band Wagon. I look like a beautiful porcelain doll and I'm going to cry."

Basically, you end up looking like you're not wearing any make-up, but you were just BORN PERFECT. And remained that way through adulthood.
    I have the Garnier BB cream and I like it--but they only have 2 shades and the light/medium is very dark for my skintone. (I wear the lightest foundation shade in any line, and sometimes that is too dark for my skin. I'm "light ivory" aka "almost albino.") I would pretty much rave about the Garnier BB cream if it came in a lighter shade.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i dont see how any of the US BB creams are different from tinted moisturizer

also, i'm very oily but i still think powder sets in lines i didnt even know i had and makes me look old and crepey
    Last edited by my little pony; 05-13-2012 at 05:17 PM.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Veronika View Post
    I have the Garnier BB cream and I like it--but they only have 2 shades and the light/medium is very dark for my skintone. (I wear the lightest foundation shade in any line, and sometimes that is too dark for my skin. I'm "light ivory" aka "almost albino.") I would pretty much rave about the Garnier BB cream if it came in a lighter shade.
    Ooh gurl, I finally found my candidate to give my crazy vampire tubes of BB cream to. I'm Asian, so any American brands are too pink for me. I don't consider myself tan, yet the default Korean color is too gray for me. I actually have to go all Iman jungle darkness when it comes to BB cream, which is weird.

There's this "almost albino" Swedish gal I know, so I'm giving her the craziest one I have: Skin79 THE ORIENTAL BOLD BB CREAM PLUS (super turbo mega). I call the tone "beyond geisha". It's insane. Same goes for the purple bottle version of the same thing (no gold in it!).

Try it!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    i dont see how any of the US BB creams are different from tinted moisturizer

also, i'm very oily but i still think powder sets in lines i didnt even know i had and makes me look old and crepey
    I concur, thus the Korean brands. America, like always, is like 10 years behind.

vCash
    Are any of them meant for fair skin (not palest, but 2-3 on a 10 scale of pale) with rosy undertones?

I find that most foundation ends up showing some dry patches after five or six hours even when I've moisturized the heck out of my skin first. I've done better with the Bare Ecentuals minerals powder than I've done with the liquids I've tried. I've definitely got the T-zone thing going on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast