Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Thank you for your report, magnolia!

I've read tweets about the men's group number, and I really, really want to see it! It sounds amazing! I'm so jealous of those who were able to make it to the shows. I'm glad you had a good time!

vCash
    I love Mao's Mary Poppins dress. Her exhibitions dresses are always such a better look than the competitive ones.

vCash
    Thanks for the report. Mao looks so sweet as Mary Poppins!

vCash

vCash
    when is footage going to be uploaded? I AM DYING TO SEE...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by arakwafan2006 View Post
    when is footage going to be uploaded? I AM DYING TO SEE...
    Me too!!

vCash
    Sometimes the organizers upload it themselves.
    We'll just have to wait.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Sometimes the organizers upload it themselves.
    We'll just have to wait.
    I know i know but surely someone sat in the crowd and uploaded some footage...i'm dyin here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sarah009 View Post
    sometimes i wonder when Nichol will retire

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by martyross View Post
    sometimes i wonder when Nichol will retire
    yes... where the hell did mary poppins come from? did Mao even know about her? Do japanese children really grown up with Poppins? hmmm...

vCash
    I know i know but surely someone sat in the crowd and uploaded some footage...i'm dyin here.
    Probably not. If they see you recording, they'll check what you record and probably make you delete it. (Something of that sort of happened when a friend of mine went to a concert in Japan.) So, we're most likely just stuck with the occasional news clip until the TV broadcast airs/YouTube videos are uploaded. According to Twitter, full performances aren't broadcast on TV until September.

yes... where the hell did mary poppins come from? did Mao even know about her? Do japanese children really grown up with Poppins? hmmm...
    Don't underestimate the popularity of Disney in Japan I think it's been dubbed so young children watch it and you can find Japanese versions of some of the songs floating around the Internet.

vCash
    does that mean that we will have to wait until next month before the performances are loaded

vCash
    There will be the first broadcast on the next weekend. The "complete version" will be aired mid August. Besides, they air a bit of fluff pieces every week for a month or two.

This tour is always fun. The Dance Battle is hilarious. At the Sunday matinee the battle was Meryl v.s. Charlie.

vCash
    Meryl won, I hear.

Did you see it? What was involved.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post

Thanks for the links. Wow Mao and Adelina look lovely together. They look like sisters. Of course Adelina is a Russian and Mao is a Japanese, but still...
    since they both are Tarasova's students?

Quote Originally Posted by midori View Post
    This tour is always fun. The Dance Battle is hilarious. At the Sunday matinee the battle was Meryl v.s. Charlie.
    I always wonder how they so often come up with such fun ideas. I wonder if they are from DNA of Nagoya people?
    Last edited by galaxy; 07-23-2012 at 09:50 AM.

vCash

vCash
    I'm excited to see Mao's Mary Poppins! I always love her exhibition numbers. And Adelina too...she's another skater who has nicely done exhibitions, plus I just love her skating.

The Ice is always so well done in terms of their concepts, group numbers, costumes, etc. Hopefully some video will surface soon...

vCash
    It's been really fun following THE ICE skaters on Instagram~

Webstagram~ for those without the app
    http://web.stagram.com/n/meryledavis
    http://web.stagram.com/n/sunshineandshit
    http://web.stagram.com/n/alexshibutani
    http://web.stagram.com/n/maiashibutani
    http://web.stagram.com/n/adelyasotnikova

Mirai's (https://twitter.com/mirai_nagasu) been updating her Twitter, too. Photos from the Shinkansen and it looks like she's gotten some medical care for her elbow in Nagoya.

If anyone's interested in the progress of the dance battle, THE ICE staff blog keeps us updated on it haha. http://weblog.ctv.co.jp/theice/top
    - Saturday, first show: Narumi vs Alena, but then Adelina joined in and won
    - Saturday, second show: Mao vs Kozuka, Mao was overwhelmingly the winner
    - Sunday, first show: Meryl vs Charlie, apparently intense battle and Meryl came out victorious
    - Sunday, second show: Mirai vs Alex, Alex's hard work and preparation paid off and he won

Such a fun tour!

vCash

vCash
    Additional report on Meryl and Charlie:

Meryl and Charlie did a shortened version of Die Fledermaus, which was a pleasant surprise as I had not expected that (I did not buy the program beforehand so I had no idea who was going to perform what). I think many people in the audience felt the same because I heard a gasp when they started performing. The performance was lovely and so speedy. Meryl had a lovely light blue flowing outfit on and Charlie was in a tux that he wore at competition. I seem to recall they got one of the first (if not the first) standing ovation from the crowd.

Meryl and Charlie were also interviewed by Mai during the show that I went to along with the Shibutanis. Meryl, I remember, talked about how she loved to perform in Japan because the Japanese crowd is 'so respectful'.

Indeed, this was a phrase that the other skaters used in describing the Japanese audience. I kind of had to laugh a little inside because I do think the crowd in Japan is not as loud and they don't cheer and whistle and hoot as much as in other countries, but I do think it is really true that this does not mean so much that the 'crowd' is uninterested but that they are just more 'respectful'.

I have been looking at some figure skating boards and have come to realize that there are very many hardcore figureskating fans in Japan some who went to all four performances in Nagoya and that they will additionally go to the Osaka performance because they had such a wonderful time in Nagoya. (They must be quite rich!! Tickets cost between 20,000-10,000 yen, i.e., $255-$127.50 per show!)

Meryl also spoke of how much she looked forward to being able to perform in Nikko, which I thought was a very gracious thing to say. And of course, her voice!! I love Meryl's voice.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast