Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post

In some ways, IJS makes it more valuable to do the 3T+3T instead of doing two 3-3s, because the scoring rubric doesn't care about the difficulty of the combinations. If you're going to repeat, say, 3T and 3Lz and do 7 triples in 6 jump passes (or 6 triples in 5 passes, if you think you're better off leaving out your problem triple), then you might as well distribute them in a way that is likely to lead the the most successful execution, the highest GOEs.

Yes, but in practice, ladies are finding it even more beneficiail to do 2A-3t instead 3t-3t, since it's easier , they are more likely to get +GOE, and it uses up one less of their triple quota. In Lipnitskaya's case , she is doing both 2A-3T and 2A-3t-2t and getting enough GOE points that a 3-3 is not even necessary. Meanwhile, her competitors are doing much higher risk elements (Sotnikova 3Z-3L, Tuktamysheva and Gold 3Z-3T) and IMO not getting rewarded for the much higher degree of difficulty.

vCash
    Yes, that's true. It's better under IJS to do 2A+3T than a 3-3 because of the risk/GOE factor.

But it's the Zayak rule, not the IJS strategy, that discourages 3T+3T for skaters who can put a 3T at the end of a combo at all, especially at the end of a 3F or 3Lz.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    But it's the Zayak rule, not the IJS strategy, that discourages 3T+3T for skaters who can put a 3T at the end of a combo at all, especially at the end of a 3F or 3Lz.
    True...and a combination of the Zayak Rule and IJS scoring leading to this annoying plethora of 2A-3T, at the expense of rewarding more interesting and difficult combos.

vCash
    My sin is that I love Michal Brezina and I hope everyone else fails in Sochi and he has a Sarah moment and dominates and wins gold.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by suki View Post
    I find V&M technically proficient, but a total bore and vastly overrated.
    Quote Originally Posted by idee123 View Post
    Ashley Wagner is overrated.
    Quote Originally Posted by RockTheTassel View Post
    Overused music doesn't really bother me if the program is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by sequins View Post
    I hate the SD and I want the CD back.

I hate how much hype 'the quad' gets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I don't want anyone to make a comeback - just move on already!
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    Perhaps with the exception of certain competitions this season, I always thought Kostner was vastly overmarked and overrated.

While Yuna Kim is talented, I don't think she is the queen so many make her out to be.

I have high hopes for Mirai Nagasu and Agnes Zawadzki and unlike a few other posters, I'm not ready to give up on them. I still think Nagasu can get it together and be successful again if she can get a consistent training routine going and find some inner motivation after her recent struggles. And Zawadzki is still young- if she can find consistency in the freeskate I think she will contend not only nationally, but on the world level as well- yup, you heard it here first
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I think Evan Bates made a mistake, switching partners to Madison from Emily (although it seems I am not alone in this, after looking at another thread).

Yu-Na Kim is a talented skater, but leaves me cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChelleC View Post
    -Nothing will ever convince me that Patrick Chan's margins of victory over Daisuke Takahashi this year were valid.
    Quote Originally Posted by IneZR View Post
    I think that Kavaguti/Smirnov make a very odd pairing and look very mismatched together
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I like Evan Lysacek's skating.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnskater View Post
    I am super bummed that skating is not really popular in the US anymore.

I used to wonder why the judges were so hard on Sasha Cohen for one or two jump errors. The rest of her skating was so far above....that line and position takes incredible amount of work to achieve. All the ladies skaters today pale in comparison in my eyes. Also the way ABC and the media used to constantly harp on a mistake from her drove me bonkers.

-I think Michelle's year to win Olympic gold was 2002
    -I think Sasha's year to win Olympic gold was 2006
    -I think Tara Lipinski deserved her OGM
    -Adam Rippon's skating is boring
    -I am not in love with Yankowskas/Reagan. I don't think they look good together.
    -Michelle Kwan is very talented, and what she contributed to skating is amazing, but I was never a fan.
    -Bring back the spiral sequences
    -Not a Kostner fan
    -Not a Plushenko fan
    -I liked Johnny until he made some not so nice comments after the 2010 Olympics, and then he famewhored himself. I can't say I "HATE" him though, because I've met him twice and each time he's said incredibly nice things to me and been very friendly.
    -I don't care if skaters wear over the boot tights or not. Sometimes I think the white boots don't work with a costume aesthetically.
    -I don't find Tanith Belbin to be all that gorgeous
    -I am not excited for vocal music in singles and pairs competition
    -D/W >>> V/M
    -When people piss and moan about Ryan Bradley's national title, I no longer get angry. Instead I just tell myself that no matter how much they whine, he's always gonna have it. u mad?

vCash
    - I'm sick of people saying that "so-and-so should not come back because s/he is taking spots away from youngsters".

I admit to feeling the frustration of seeing Johnny frigging Weir get two GP assignments over two incredibly talented youngsters, but the fact remains, the youngsters need to earn it. Plushenko is not taking up anyone's position on the Russian team; if they can't beat him, too bad. And so on and so forth.

And I say this as an ardent fan of Joshua Farris, Jason Brown and Artur Gachinski!

(This post also influenced by people whining about Phelps/Thorpe/name your athlete who's coming back for London...)

vCash
    I don't want anyone to come back.
    I didn't really object to Ryan Bradley winning 2011 Nat's, even though it seemed like a "Lifetime Achievement Special Award".
    Kwan and Plush bored me after 2002.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    -for various reasons, I stopped following skating a few years ago (you can tell from the following) and have yet to rekindle the same kind of interest I used to have. Might be nice to have skating on the TV again instead of through satellite/internet crap
    -although I assisted Daphne with an ice-dancing site, I sort of never got into the whole ice dance thing. I liked it, but, yeah...
    -found Michelle Kwan totally boring. Definite refrigerator break
    -hated Todd Eldridge. Spins were good and he could get himself down into a shoot-the-duck/cannonball position like nobody else, but never liked his skating. ever
    -thought Miki Ando was extremely good looking but more of in a handsome way
    -liked Denkova and Stavyski back when they were super voidy. You know, before they were successful
    -although Agosto was clearly the bomb, thought Belbin was a pretty good skater
    -thought Yagudin was totally overrated as a competitive skater. Like him much better in shows. I blame Tat for this.
    -Having done both ballet and skating, was never really a big fan of folks just transferring ballet skills to the ice and bringing not much else (Sasha Cohen). However, I was still a big fan of Sandhu, who transferred ballet to the ice...
    -I sometimes liked watching practices more (for single skaters) than competition. Got a better sense of their basic skills and speed, and they're much looser

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aiditu View Post
    -I sometimes liked watching practices more (for single skaters) than competition. Got a better sense of their basic skills and speed, and they're much looser
    Why did she fall on that jump in competition? Because she only lands 1 in 10 tries anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Fever View Post
    Why did she fall on that jump in competition? Because she only lands 1 in 10 tries anyway.
    Don't be cruel. Nerves... expectations, all this also adds to the fact skaters rarely perform their very best in competitions.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad
    I don't want anyone to come back.
    I didn't really object to Ryan Bradley winning 2011 Nat's, even though it seemed like a "Lifetime Achievement Special Award".
    Kwan and Plush bored me after 2002.
    Amen to that. I already expressed my dislike for the comebacks in '94, when it began.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyjosie View Post
    Don't be cruel. Nerves... expectations, all this also adds to the fact skaters rarely perform their very best in competitions.
    Yeah, but I can remember instances when the adrenalin worked in my favor. I know what you mean though. If a girl has to defend her title, she's almost guaranteed to choke. On the other hand, if she's the underdog............

vCash
    I think people exaggerate about "comebacks". Yuna Kim took one friggin year off and already it's a "comeback"? Give me a break.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    I think people exaggerate about "comebacks". Yuna Kim took one friggin year off and already it's a "comeback"? Give me a break.
    LOL! I think people are more shocked that she is "coming back"...but I wouldn't necessarily call it a comeback in the truest sense of the word.

vCash
    I made several thousand dollars (USD) from the European debt crisis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymer Bob View Post
    Perhaps this thread should have specified confess your 'skating fan' sins. Otherwise, this thread might get too long very quickly!

vCash
    You and the rest of the Wall Street Fat Cats are responsible for this recession.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Fever View Post
    You and the rest of the Wall Street Fat Cats are responsible for this recession.
    Am I a Wall Street fat cat?

Actually, we are in a recession because the corporate fat cats have exported 40,000 factories to the third world. Go to Walmart, look on the shelves, and see where everything is made. They were not made by people earning decent middle class American wages; that's for sure.

vCash
    Oh god...oh god... I predict a controversy in about 1...2...

vCash
    Am I a Wall Street fat cat?

Actually, we are in a recession because the corporate fat cats have exported 40,000 factories to the third world. Go to Walmart, look on the shelves, and see where everything is made. They were not made by people earning decent middle class American wages; that's for sure.
    Relax Bob. I was just messin' with you. I find your posts amusing.

vCash
    I really like Mao's Grandbell of Moscow. Think it is one of the best ladie's LPs with alot of depth and potentials to be realized. I feel lonely.

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast