Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cailuj365 View Post
    Most of these are popular FSU opinions...
    What I was saying.

vCash
    When I watch skating it's usually an excuse for me to order pizza.

...and I also use it as an excuse for not getting any work done.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DickButtonFan View Post
    When I watch skating it's usually an excuse for me to order pizza.
    Haha, for me, it's to pop kettle corn! Of course, the skating usually isn't too bad either.

I have a few more unpopular (I think) opinions:

-Maybe it's because I haven't followed the sport long enough to be annoyed by it, but I don't care if a skater uses overused music.

-I think Patrick Chan is awesome. I don't care if he splats all over the place in the early season. It's the early season, big deal. He usually brings it when it counts. I'm also amazed how he went from 0 quads to 3 quads/competition within one season. Even if you hate quads, you have to admit that it's a really phenomenal athletic as well as mental feat. I seriously hope he doesn't start losing it next season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    A lot of these are opinions that are widely held. You hate CoP? So do a lot of people. You think Chan is boring? So do a lot of people.
    Quote Originally Posted by cailuj365 View Post
    Most of these are popular FSU opinions...
    was just about to post the same thing.

vCash
    Instead of Pope Benedict, I’ll pretend Ottavio Cinquanta is on the other side of the screen in this confessional. Here is my list in ascending order according to severity of sin:

-I will always have a soft spot for Surya Bonaly

-I was a big fan of Maria Butyrskaya

-I sometimes like perk

-I often enjoy programs skated to really mainstream/top 40 music (including Celine Dion)

-I live for show skating, including Disson productions

-I long for a dramatik FD, complete with OTT costumes made of shredded chiffon and lamé

-I wish I could raid Tatiana Tarasova’s coat closet

-I find Capellini and Lanotte’s crotch lift attractive...it was one of my favourite lifts in the entire event

-I really enjoy Florent Amodio’s skating, and think there is something special about his style

-I was never bothered by Chan’s comments in the China gate scandal, and thought the whole thing was blown WAY out of proportion…the only thing that disturbed me about that situation was the hyper-nationalisms on the part of some…

-I had impure thoughts during Brian Joubert’s SP…(I will also find his “The Matrix” LP exciting no matter how many times I see it)

-I wish my confessions had to do with the sins I was committing with Maxim Trankov…
    Last edited by Bournekraatzfan; 05-12-2012 at 05:15 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by literaryfreak View Post
    This is slowly turning into the "Irrational Reasons for Disliking Skaters" thread from a few years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by sap5 View Post
    I thought this was the "Say Whatever You Want!" thread.
    Exactly what I was thinking.

It's the off-season...
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Ok, here is a true sin (as opposed to an unpopular opinion): Last February I threw my favorite male skater Jeremy Abbott under the bus.

I said, "If I have to choose between my New York Giants winning the SuperBowl and my Jeremy doing well at Worlds, then I pick my Giants a thousand times over!" And then, my Giants won the SuperBowl, and after I finished cheering and partying, I hoped against hope that the SkateGods hadn't heard my earlier proclamation...but alas...! : :

And you know what's worse? If I had to pick again, I'd make the same choice... what kind of skating fan am I???
    Okay, you're going straight to HELL...

vCash
    I feel that gals with the chubbier butts are cuter, circa Rachael Flatt, Elena Sokolova & Liz Manley. http://www.figureskatersonline.com/r...doscope009.jpg http://www.ekolojikyasam.com/ekoloji...a_sokolova.jpg http://reflection.figuristka.org/pho...y/swe02_53.jpg
    Last edited by Jot the Dot Dot; 05-12-2012 at 04:16 AM.

vCash
    Forgive me, skategods, for I have sinned. It has been too many years to count since my last confession.

• I was, and still am, impervious to Oksana Baiul's "it" factor.

• I have never understood what all the fuss about Michelle Kwan, Sasha Cohen, and Irina Slutskaya's skating was all about. Good skaters, yes, but still....

• I think Jamie Salé and David Pelletier delivered the best Pairs Free Skate at the 2002 Winter Olympics, given the judging system at the time.

• Johnny Weir bores me to tears. And most of his skating since he won his first or maybe second National title does too.

• I can count the ice dance couples whose programs I have really enjoyed on the fingers of one hand.

• I think the costumes skaters wore forty or fifty years ago were nicer than most of the ones skaters wear now.

• I am glad that fourteen-year-old girls can't compete at senior-level ISU Championships.

• When I first started watching Evan Lysacek, I thought that his skating was a lot campier than Johnny Weir's.

vCash
    1. I think MK was a great skater but overrated. I didn't like her over-emoting.

2. Lambiel is a great show skater but I didn't like many of his performances.

3. I think 6.0 system was such a non-sense.

4. I was underwhelmed by Russian super babies.

vCash
    I enjoyed Surya Bonaly's skating more than almost any of her contemporaries.

I never got Gordeeva and Grinkov (esp in 1994).

I wish there was more variety in skating costumes (esp among ladies).

I liked Jill Trenary's 80's hair and shoulder pads (and her short sleeve costume in 1990 remains a personal costume favorite).

I enjoyed B&B's epic weirdness (like Eurovision on ice!*).

Underrotation doesn't bother me.

No, really, underrotation that would send a technical panel into cardiac arrest (as in Sarah Hughes levels) doesn't bother me.

Lipping doesn't bother me at all.

Flutzing (of Hughes, Lipinski, Bobek proportions) does bother me.

Outrigged Salchows bother me.

I don't like watching quads, no matter how 'well done'...

I like fast well centered spins in simple (but nice) positions more than unusual and changing positions.

I mostly never got Stephen Lambiel (until he was well past his prime).

I enjoy watching compulsory figures (and dearly wish they'd lasted long enough for Eurosport to devote hours of tv time to them). 27 consecutive RBO paragraph brackets? Heaven!

I want a skater to choreograph a fall. (that is have a program, preferably an exhibition) where a fall is absolutely the right choreographic choice at a certain point.

I wish there were more different kinds of single competition (figures, dance, free, rhythmic? interpretive?)

*I wish there was such a thing as Eurovision on Ice! where skaters had to perform to their country's Eurovision entries....

vCash
    I like illusion fabric in costumes.
    I like over the boot tights.
    I always disliked Sokolova.
    I am enjoying Leonova more now than when she burst on the scene.
    I dislike Amodio the more I see him.
    I think Chan deserved to win even with 4 falls.
    I love David Wilson and Lori's choreography.
    Nancy should have beat Oksana.
    Tatiana Malanina (sp?) was horrific to watch (except the odd jump).
    I hate 99.9% of show routines. (Debbie's Wanda Beazel being an exception, best show routine ever next to Chans from this year)
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    I will also add that I don't particularly care whether skaters are doing a lot of (difficult) transitions, and tend to disagree with complaints about people being overscored on PCS because they "have no transitions". I like good choreography, but in some cases this means the program needs fewer transitions to really fit the music and the concept. This brings me to:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    I want a skater to choreograph a fall. (that is have a program, preferably an exhibition) where a fall is absolutely the right choreographic choice at a certain point.
    Remember when Amodio fell in the LP at 2009 SA and sort of made it look like it was part of the program?

I wish there was such a thing as Eurovision on Ice! where skaters had to perform to their country's Eurovision entries....
    So Clara Peters would have to skate to Jedward, and V/T get the Russian grannies? That could prove... interesting.

vCash
    I think there are not true artists among female skaters while there are true artists(Curry, Lambiel) among male skaters.
    Janet, Kwan, Sasha, Kim all only have great musicality.

I think Lu Chen's artistry(or musicality) is overrated. Although her poise&maturity are impressive.
    Last edited by t.mann; 05-12-2012 at 03:05 PM.

vCash
    -It doesn't bother me when Alissa gets held up for being pretty
    -I cannot stand over the boot tights and excessive illusion fabric. There is no need
    for stocking arms.
    - I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when I see how low Mao was marked compared to Yuna.
    - I actually enjoy people skating to Requiem... hmmm, a skating program about drug addiction. So post modern.

vCash
    I don't really get I/K at all.

I think Mao has become boring to watch the past two seasons. With TAT, at least she was trying to branch out. Now, she's going back to safe programs but the jumps don't always work like they did when she first came onto the senior circuit.

I know Patrick has great skills but sometimes I do wish that some other men were able to win major comps. Now the men's event is becoming very predictable.

Like Ozzisk8er, I also hate exhibitions. I rarely watch them.

I didn't really get S/S until this season. I use to think they were overrated until I saw their LP. I am now a convert.

V/T have potential but I don't understand why they're getting similar PCS to S/S.

I love B/L even if their programs are empty.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    I too thought C/S deserved their bronze medal

S/P should have won Olympics LS was

Hate it when a skater kisses the ice after a great performance .

Loved Denstas Bach to Africa FD and A/P B Last Night

V/M are such superb skaters and look like champions but they are so zzzz where's the excitement ?

I hate Polkas and am dreading the new SD.

Want to see more Carmens and Toscas Malaguenas etc

I too would like to see the SLSS back instead of the CSS.

I don't like T/D taking part in DOI their talents could have been used coaching pro skaters especially in GB .They are no longer the legends I used to watch and now find them boring

Could never watch the Duchesnays as all I could see were her bow legs

Was a really massive fan of A/P and was pleased when FP/M fell in the FD at olympics.Then felt terribly guilty when Babs cried on the podium

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nuge View Post
    Hate it when a skater kisses the ice after a great performance.

vCash
    I used to never watch ice dance while I was skating myself because I found figure skating to be boring without jumps (that's when I was ~14/15). Over the past couple of seasons, it has become my favorite discipline, and I don't really know why. I have started to re-watch 6.0 dance programs and I can't get enough of them now.

Pairs used to be my favorite discipline and now I hardly watch it anymore.

I hate over the boot tights and it is hard for me to appreciate amazing skaters who wear them. I enjoy Mao a lot more now that she wears her boots white, same goes for Alissa.

I don't think I can root for any other lady to win until Carolina retires. Knowing her personally and supporting her 100%, it is hard for me to watch a ladies' competition that she competes in and also enjoying the rest of the skaters. I really, really, really try because I love ladies' figure skating in general and I want everyone to do well and the best to win, and there are so many amazing ladies out there! After watching the ladies' FP live in Nice I could hardly remember any of the other programs because I was so focused on Carolina. I had to rewatch the entire competition at home because I literally had no idea what the other ladies did. This is horrible but I can't help it

I enjoy watching practices a lot more than competitions.

Jeremy's puke face freaks me out!

I tend to start disliking young skaters who are overhyped so early, even though their skating is amazing for their age. I find myself disliking Gracie or Julia just because of all the hype surrounding them.

I can't stand the way Morozov ruins some of the most promising skaters out there. I loved I/K as juniors but ever since they have made the coaching change ... I could hardly watch their FD this season, it was that horrible. Same goes for Amodio who I actually found interesting before his change to Morozov.

I don't like Leonova's skating but I wish more ladies would have her attitude with which she embraces her choreography (again, hate the choreography, but man she pulls it off).

I was a total Yagudin uber. I stalked him at Euros in Vienna so many years ago and took 6 pictures with him.

I think Stéphane is the embodiment of an artist on ice and no man in the near future will ever come close to what he creates on the ice.

vCash
    I miss figures and the wonderful footwork of skaters who did them.

I can't see the 10 extra points that Chan always seems to get.

American ladiezzz bore me. All the programs look the same.

I'd rather watch Browning, Hamilton or Sato do footwork than watch a superb jumper.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast