Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Being a childless man I was going to remain wisely quiet. But, then I read the model's quote, on CNN, that she was still breast feeding as a 6 year-old.

So, now, I will freely say it -- "that's too damned old! If a kid is eating at the school cafeteria, he/she shouldn't also be eating at his/her mom's breast.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Well, why stop at six? Why not, say at 8? What is the age when it becomes truly inappropriate?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Breast feeding is done in private, at least in the USA. There are separate rooms with doors for nursing. Why should Time magazine and the mother/child in question make such a public display of it? I find it extremely offensive.

Time magazine is getting a lot of free publicity, as expected. May be that was their goal.

vCash
    I don't think extended bf is wrong or disturbing, but her kid didn't ask to be on Time magazine. And one day he will be old enough to google it.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
    Being a childless man I was going to remain wisely quiet. But, then I read the model's quote, on CNN, that she was still breast feeding as a 6 year-old.
    on Insider, she said it built her confidence

how, i'm not sure
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    I'm in the camp that doesn't have a problem with the subject, or breast-feeding kids to an older age, but the staging of the models/photo rubs me completely the wrong way. What's normally a personal moment is turned into a public display, and the mother and son seem to be challenging the viewer in the way they're making eye contact. Instead of coming across as defiant, it comes across as creepy.

I know someone who breast fed her kids until they were each 4. She didn't have a specific notion to stop at that age, she simply quit when they stopped asking for it. They're both perfectly "normal" kids, so far (one about to turn 15 and one 4 years younger).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Breast feeding is done in private, at least in the USA. There are separate rooms with doors for nursing. Why should Time magazine and the mother/child in question make such a public display of it? I find it extremely offensive.
    I'm curious: do you find all public breast feeding offensive, or just the kind when the child is older? I.e., are you offended by a mother who nurses her newborn in public (covered up)?

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Breast feeding is done in private, at least in the USA. There are separate rooms with doors for nursing.

Have you missed all the public breastfeeding debates in the last decade or so? Breastfeeding is done publicly in the US all the time; there are laws protecting mothers' rights to do so.

Where exactly are these separate rooms with doors just for nursing? I sure never saw any. I would have considered them quite handy if I had.

Not that I want this to turn into yet another public breastfeeding thread (although it inevitably will).
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    on Insider, she said it built her confidence

how, i'm not sure
    I saw a little clip from some morning show she was on today and she said she always felt secure and that helped build her confidence.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post

How do you define "hurting"? Because, as is clear in some of the posts in this thread, some people DO think that this kind of thing "hurts" the child, at least in the sense of not being good for the child.
    I think hurting, in this instance is the embarrassment the child will have to deal with, when all of his friends tease him about the magazine cover.

Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    Or in the future - remember that peers will want to tease/humiliate the child for being attached to his mommy's breast. If she wants to breastfeed until he is 22 that's her business. To have a picture out there for the world present and in the future to see probably disregards the effect of peer pressure.

Breast feeding until the child is older (like age of 3 or 4) has occurred throughout the ages. What I find disturbing about this case is not so much the continued breastfeeding - like I said her business - but the exploitation and sensationalism of the photograph. I think the boy will be mercifully harassed by his peers as he gets older.
    Totally agree.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I think hurting, in this instance is the embarrassment the child will have to deal with, when all of his friends tease him about the magazine cover.
    Maybe he'll learn the lesson that standing up, front and center, for something you believe in is worth some teasing or embarrassment. Granted he didn't have a choice in this situation but, if his mother's beliefs hold, then he'll be secure and confident enough to weather it. Or maybe not.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I wonder what extended breastfeeding (past the point they should be solely on solid food) does to jaw and tooth shape/development. Growing bone is very malleable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Maybe he'll learn the lesson that standing up, front and center, for something you believe in is worth some teasing or embarrassment. Granted he didn't have a choice in this situation but, if his mother's beliefs hold, then he'll be secure and confident enough to weather it. Or maybe not.
    The very important point here is that he didn't have a choice. he would not be standing up (literally) for anything he currently believes in.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I wonder what extended breastfeeding (past the point they should be solely on solid food) does to jaw and tooth shape/development. Growing bone is very malleable.
    I want to know what it does to Mom's nipples!

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Is this Attachment Parenting the new Amway?
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Extended breastfeeding is very common throughout the world and always has been. AP parents make this argument all the time and it's not incorrect, even if it is invalid.

So if breastfeeding caused dental issues, I should think there would be widespread problems.

The WHO recommends breastfeeding until at least age two, so what is considered "extended" or "the point where they should be solely on solid food" varies, just like everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Or by the time he gets to the age where kids would make fun of him for this, the whole thing will have been completely forgotten, the cover will be too old to be on the internet, and no one will care.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post

Or by the time he gets to the age where kids would make fun of him for this, the whole thing will have been completely forgotten, the cover will be too old to be on the internet, and no one will care.
    If he's almost 4, he may very well be in pre-school. Or, at least, have play groups. I would not doubt he'll get teased imminently.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    If he's almost 4, he may very well be in pre-school. Or, at least, have play groups. I would not doubt he'll get teased imminently.
    Could be. Or not. I would be really surprised if he's in a preschool or play groups with children of parents who don't themselves follow AP or are unaware that the mom still breastfeeds. If it's a norm, kids aren't going to make fun of it--if they are even aware of the cover or understand what it means to be on a magazine.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    My coworker's son is 6 and wouldn't think to Google such a thing. If the kid gets teased because someone found out, there's either a malicious parent afoot or his mom was stupid enough to publicize it.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Here's the Covergirl's blog. My favorite entry is on Page 6 which is entitled "The Miseducation of My Children."

If they have a family bed aren't they, ummm, quite likely showing their kids a little more action than any Harlequin romance can provide?

I Am Not The Babysitter
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    Some thoughts...

The photo is just...so ridiculous. Were they like "ok little Johnny...suck on mommy's boob (who happens to be a MILF) and look at the camera".

I feel bad for that little boy. Why, at that age...wouldn't you just pump? If I remembered sucking my mom's boob I would probably be traumatized and I am a woman. I cannot imagine how a man would feel.

Readers will probably reading the article with a defensive opinion based on the picture alone.

I did not breastfeed, did not try to, did not want to, so i should probably DIE. LOL just kidding. I do co-sleep though...but its not by choice. When my son wakes up and does not go back to bed, i throw him in bed with me and just call it "finding any way to sleep"

I am also a fan of baby wearing but unfortunately, do not live in an area where there is anywhere to walk to.

I don't like the "are you mom enough" article title. Mom enough to compared to who? Extended breast feeders? Attachment parents? Hell yes I am mom enough. I delivered a child from my body and would give my life for him. Now sit down judgmental biotches.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast