Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Re-registered User
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    This woman's boobs aren't big enough to have a significant amount of milk. Why is she still doing it?
    I hope you are joking?

My breast only hit a B cup for about 24 hours when my milk first came in. For most of the time I was breastfeeding, I was a small A. And breastfeeding had no effect on the appearance of my breasts, they still look mostly the same at 50 as they did at 25. My daughter gained over a pound a week on my milk, and my 11 lb son stayed above the 100th percentile and outgrew his infant seat at 4 months. The size of the breast indicates how much fat surrounds the milk glands and ducts, not the amount of milk they can produce.

From the way this was talked about on the news, I was expecting an older looking child.

I slept with all three of my kids. It started when the nurse brought my first baby to me, on the first night of being a mom. We fell asleep while she was nursing, and woke up 5 hours later. I thought "This is great!" and never tried to make her stay in her crib in the middle of the night. I got lots of sleep with my infants.

eta- I also breastfed the two younger ones until they were around 2, and I worked after they were 6 months old without any problems with adequate milk supply.
    Last edited by rjblue; 05-11-2012 at 02:20 AM.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    And Freud is very old school. Modern child development classes don't emphasize Freud nearly as much and some not at all.
    It's not about studying Freud per se, but rather about how we have all embraced and internalized psychology, often without a whole lot of knowledge or understanding.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I don't know, the page Prancer linked to sounds like a recipe for spoiled kids who think the world revolves around them.
    You'll get a kick out of this article.

Why I Mock "Attachment Parenting" And The Kids It Produces

vCash
    This woman's boobs aren't big enough to have a significant amount of milk. Why is she still doing it?
    Size of the breast is no indication of milk supply.

How many of you think that kid is not 3? He looks older to me somehow.

Ridiculously sensationalistic cover. And I'm right there with all of you who are at the fact that the mom is absolutely gorgeous and slim (and probably well rested and in great shape from 2 hours a day at the gym and custom-made organic vegetarian diet, courtesy of the live-in help).
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Milk ducts and milk-producing cells grow during pregnancy, even if you started out with a small cup size. In a lactating woman, breasts engorge with milk. These do not look engorged with anything.

If you say she has an ample milk supply, where do you suppose she keeps it? If she produces a lot, she'd have to nurse very frequently to empty because her storage isn't that big. So there goes your theory of being in a gym for 2 hours a day.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    That boy looks a lot older than my 3 year old. Maybe he's closer to 4?
    Team Peeps!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Isn't that what some posters said, that he is approaching 4?

I have never heard of scoreless athletics that Karina's article mentioned. Has anyone?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Go Denmark!
    vCash
    While my breasts are bigge than hers, even was before I nursed, they don't look that small to me.

I am so happy I didn't read any parenting books, but followed my peditrician's basic advice and my instincts. Worked out well. Only thing that terrified me was SIDS - movement sensing baby alarm kept me sane.

I agree that there is a lot of pressure on you to 'do the right thing'. I still think as long as you feed, clothe, put a roof over you kids head and don't hit/abuse them everything else is gravy.

I'm not sleeping with my kid in my bed on most days, but if someone else are, it is their issue.

snarking for AZE
    vCash

I have never heard of scoreless athletics that Karina's article mentioned. Has anyone?
    my godson's t ball league is scoreless until a certain age. he's in first grade, not sure when the scoring starts. there are trophies anyway.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    my godson's t ball league is scoreless until a certain age. he's in first grade, not sure when the scoring starts. there are trophies anyway.
    It's usually right around third grade.

I know someone who may--MAY--have worn an A cup when she was breastfeeding. She didn't have any trouble feeding her child at all. She's got a chest like an ironing board normally; it didn't look much different.

But by the time kids are three or four, it's more of a comfort and bonding thing and doesn't require a lot of milk, or so I hear. Not my thing, but it doesn't freak me out that people do it. I don't see any reason to care one way or another.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    Yeah, t-ball. Everybody bats every inning. No outs. Everyone scores every time they get up. It has got to be that way - otherwise there would be too many tearful meltdowns and temper tantrums. My daughter used to cry if she wasn't the first one to chase down a hit ball.

Regarding scoring, around here it starts in 1st grade, I think. The league just above t-ball still lets every kid get a hit every time (they bring out the tee if necessary), but I seem to recall kids being tagged out at first, and score being kept.
    Creating drama!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    Hmmmmm. My son's hockey team keeps score like any other. The only thing that's different is they are not supposed to body check until they are 12.

from Speedy Death

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I think most new parents are scared half to death and thus get very caught up in doing things the right way; some of them don't get over it. And thanks to Freud, we all believe that parenting determines destiny, so heaven forfend that a parent do it the wrong way
    It's not just Freud. I think a lot of people believe that, if they just follow the rules, nothing bad will happen to them.

It's not just in parenting, but when I was a new parent with my second and the internet was available, I saw a lot of that on parenting message boards. People screaming that anyone who did X was a bad mother or, alternately, that just saying X was a good idea was saying they were a bad mother.

It was tiresome.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    You'll get a kick out of this article.

Why I Mock "Attachment Parenting" And The Kids It Produces
    As soon as I saw the byline (written by Kennedy, former MTV VJ), she lost me
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Any woman who stays an A or B cup while nursing is lucky! Mine were too big for a triple H! They were so big and so engorged that I kept getting mastitis. My milk never regulated I' nurse each side for as long as my babies wanted, then had to stand in the shower, while milk just poured out. I had to stop at 6 months with both. My back couldn't take it, and my doctor didn't want me taking antibiotics so much. Now, they're deflated balloons!

I think it's a little odd to continue nursing to 3, 4 years old. When the child is eating/chewing solid (not puréed) food and drinking other beverages, it's not about nutrition anymore. I'm not judging, but I would not be comfortable with a chil that old still nursing. My real issue with this Time cover, is that at some point that kid will be unmercifully taunted. It's just plain cruel. They should have hidden his face.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Nursing 3 and 4 year olds is par for the course in San Francisco. Some advocate nursing until 5. I wonder why they think they should stop in kindergarten...

I was a large B when nursing and I didn't make that much per feeding so I had to nurse more often which was on demand, as women with smaller boobs find is the case. There just isn't room to store all that milk if the container is physically smaller.

from Speedy Death

Re-registered User
    vCash
    My breasts only looked engorged when my milk first came in, or if I was hours too late between feedings, otherwise, they looked like normal A cup breasts. My son weighed 20 lbs before he ever had anything but breast milk. And I used to try and jiggle him to keep him awake so he'd drink enough to make me feel comfortable- I had enough milk for twins his size. I know several other small breasted women who had similar experiences.

But yeah, after 18 months or so, the breastfeeding is much more occasional comfort (for mommy and baby) and it is much easier to stop breastfeeding at that age than it is for an infant. It just sort of drifts away, and you realise you don't make milk anymore.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    You are talking about feeding infants, which is pretty darn often. This is a 3-4 year old.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post

But by the time kids are three or four, it's more of a comfort and bonding thing and doesn't require a lot of milk, or so I hear. Not my thing, but it doesn't freak me out that people do it. I don't see any reason to care one way or another.
    I'd have to move if it freaked me out, it happens all the time.

What annoys me is the holier than thou attitude of superiority because they fed through toddlerhood, and some lazy sluts stop at around 12 months.

from Speedy Death

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    It's not just Freud. I think a lot of people believe that, if they just follow the rules, nothing bad will happen to them.
    I don't think it's just that, though.

Let's say that you have a teenager who does something awful. What are the first things everyone says about it? "Where were the parents? What's wrong with the parents?"

This is invariably followed by multiple posts about parents today who want to be their kids' friends and these rotten, privileged, pampered kids, etc.

Or you have the reverse and you have a terrific kid. Ah, her parents must have raised her right.

It all comes back to the basic idea that we are what our parents make us--in spite of the fact that most of us have ample evidence that we are what a whole lot of things made us, some of which we probably aren't even aware of.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I think that we are, in part, what our parents make us. It's an important but not the only contributing factor.

from Speedy Death

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast