vCash

Carrie Underwood CD- Blown Away

Carrie's new CD is absolutely wonderful. She has upped the anty and she's bringing her rock to the new country sound. The CD is so good, every song is good.

This CD has the making of being her biggest seller to date and the crossover appeal is huge. I highly recommend it.

I've been playing the title track "Blown Away", "Good Girl", "Two Black Cadillacs "and Cupid's Got a Gun non stop for the last few days.

Good Girl Video

Blown Away Track

Dry lightning cracks across the skies
    Those storm clouds gather in her eyes
    Her daddy was a mean old mister
    Mama was an angel in the ground
    The weatherman called for a twister
    She prayed blow it down
    There's not enough rain in Oklahoma
    To wash the sins out of that house
    There's not enough wind in Oklahoma
    To rip the nails out of the past
    Shatter every window till it's all blown away
    Every brick, every board, every slamming door blown away
    Till there's nothing left standing, nothing left of yesterday
    Every tear-soaked whiskey memory blown away
    Two Black Cadillacs Track Fantastic Song.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    It's amazing to think that were it not for American Idol, would she ever have become the star she is today? Would she ever have been discovered, or seriously pursued a singing career, made the right connections and had the right people behind her to get her to the top? I always remember that clip of Simon after she just killed it on 'Alone' when he told her that not only would she win American Idol, she would go on to sell more records than any American Idol ever. Just think if she woulda never been on the show, would she ever have been making music like this!

vCash
    It's an album.

CD is just a format (and a declining one as well with the majority of sales in developed countries being digital now).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    It's an album.

CD is just a format (and a declining one as well with the majority of sales in developed countries being digital now).
    Semantics. So I guess you would say you bought the album on CD to be specific?

Album may be a "selection of recordings" but it also has the connotation of meaning "vinyl" album for some of us.

I still buy CD's because I still use them in my car for listening.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Carrie Underwood Debuts at #1 with sales of 267,000

So in a few days, the CD album is halfway to gold status. Not too shabby.

Other tidbits from the above article:

Blown's" debut is also the second-largest arrival of any album in 2012. This year, only Madonna's "MDNA" started bigger, with 358,000.
    "Blown Away" marks the third chart-topper for Underwood on the Billboard 200, following 2007's "Carnival Ride" (527,000 first week) and 2009's "Play On" (318,000). She is only the third woman to take three country albums to No. 1 on the Billboard 200. Underwood follows Linda Ronstadt and Faith Hill. Ronstadt did it with "Heart Like a Wheel" (1974), "Simple Dreams" (1977) and "Living in the USA" (1978). Hill topped the tally consecutively with "Breathe" (1999), "Cry" (2002) and "Fireflies" (2005).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    It's an album.

Thank you for the clarification. I was all as to why Underwood had prepared a compulsory dance when the short dance was replaced the CD. Now I understand what the original poster was referring to. Whew!

It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    [
    Thank you for the clarification. I was all as to why Underwood had prepared a compulsory dance when the short dance was replaced the CD. Now I understand what the original poster was referring to. Whew!

And if we want to be technical about it, the origin of the word "album" in this context is likely from the folders that people used to store records in the early days and later the decorative cardboard record covers.

The word "record" itself originally meant what it still means as a verb - to record, so while we now associate the world with a large black vinyl disc, technically, all other formats of music are also records, as the music is always recorded before it is packaged.

Given that CDs have been the primary form of recorded music for several decades now, I don't think it's a stretch to say a new "CD" in the same way we might have said a new record or album in the past. Over time, the word will disappear I'm sure - but I can't see album becoming the most widely used term for something that comes out electronically. My guess is "collection" is more likely, as in "Carrie's new music collection is now available on iTunes" "or Carrie's new collection of songs is out."

vCash
    I'm the biggest Carrie fan you'll encounter, but to be a bit honest, I thought the album was not her best work, there aren't any real standout songs that make me go OMG, her voice is the best in country bar none, but to me it's really melancholy and melodic, it kind of all starts to blend together after a while.
    Kyle

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I think the first half is so strong and the last half is quite the snooze. Maybe it is just an "in comparison" issue but I think it is a little of both (partly just compared to the first half and partly just that the last half isn't very good). She made a comment about finding "Blown Away" and saying she knew she had to find 10 other songs just as good or she would scrap the whole album and start over. Well then how in the hell do you explain a song like "Who Are You?" That one makes me want to vomit.

Anyway, I really like "Blown Away" and "Two Black Cadillacs" a lot. "One Way Ticket" would be my pick for her next single since it is going to be a summer single but I think they have decided to go with "Blown Away." I am very curious how BA will do because it isn't exactly what I think of when I think of country music, just like Good Girl wasn't. Good Girl hasn't had the type of run she normally has on country radio but it is beginning to finally make a move. I think the top of the chart was just so congested that it stalled for a while until things thinned out. Only Carrie Underwood could have a single entering the top 5 and have people talking about how it isn't as successful as her others. lol
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Really? It debuted pretty high on the charts, IIRC. Not like "Mama's Song," which pretty much crawled its way up (unsurprisingly).
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    It had a very very fast rise but then stalled out for a while and has now begun moving. For a while there I was wondering if it would even make the top 5. It went top 10 in no time, though, so you remember correctly.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Unearthing this thread to say that I've been listening to this album on repeat the last few days. After the first listen I wasn't that high on it (just like with Play On), but I'm in love with it now. I don't think she'll ever be able to top her Carnival Ride album, but this one is definitely up there.

"Blown Away" is going to be her next single, Carrie announced officially yesterday. I was hoping for One Way Ticket, since it's a summery song, but maybe they're saving that for next year. "Cupid's Got a Shotgun" will definitely be on the radio at some point, I'm going to guess it will be the 4th single to be released. The 3rd one will be one of the ballads, most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Well then how in the hell do you explain a song like "Who Are You?" That one makes me want to vomit.
    I've been listening to that one on repeat lately

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Well then how in the hell do you explain a song like "Who Are You?" That one makes me want to vomit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fridge_Break View Post
    I've been listening to that one on repeat lately
    I also think that's a great song. Mixed feelings about it being written by Shania Twain's ex-husband and Carrie having referenced Shania (in a subtle jab??) in "Before He Cheats".
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I never thought the Shania reference was a jab. I suppose it could have been, but it wouldn't make much sense, since they both sing more or less the same style of pop country. (And since Shania did it better. )
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Just listened to the title track.

It's a good song. And it owes something to Martina McBride's immortal "Independence Day."
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    There is no way this album will outsell Some Hearts. No one sells 7 millions+ these days unless you are named Adele. lol
    -Brian