Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 45
  1. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    189
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    i really like the idea of a 5 minute warm up then right into the program!

    that is definitely something I will be doing
    The idea is to stimulate competition day conditions correct?

    In which case wouldn't you have a 6 min warm up? or is it different for adult divisions???

  2. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    189
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I can't help you with a comeback, but for me (as a new adult skater) the most important thing was competition ready practice.

    Meaning, I stepped onto the ice- I did my 5 minute warm up and IMMEDIATELY did my program.

    This had me much better prepared than practice for 30-45 minutes and then starting run-throughs. It is easy to lull into a false sense of preparation when I give my body a lot more time to warm up and be ready for that program.

    My coach also had me skate a set of hockey line sprints, and then do the program again right afterwards (usually we couldn't get the music a second time though). If you can do it that tired- you're ready.



    As for too proud to go out and do singles- what if they are really huge singles? Depending on what level you are in, you might do better with great singles than okay doubles. And I bet a lot of people in the level are "used to have doubles" types. For your first competition it wouldn't be a travesty if you have to leave them out. Now for your second...

    The problem with tiring yourself out like that is that you are preparing your body for an unrealistic task... You will never have to perform under those conditions so why practice like that.... What it will tend to do is increase the errors in your practice run through, reason being, you aren't as good when you are tired...
    However there is some benefits to the way you are approaching this...
    High level skaters tend to do their program with all required triples and quads, and then run the program immediately after the end of the first run though, however only do singles and spins. This way they get the cardiovascular benefit of a double run through, without practising poor technique on their elements because they were tired the second time through...
    Obviously this is geared at high levels so you will need to find a way to adapt the concept to you. For example, you could do your program and then immediately to a three element segment from your program...
    Remember skating isn't about conserving your energy, it's about effectively expending all your energy in a short period of time.

    -------------

    There is no reason to feel bad about doing singles. Many of the top level skaters do singles... and then triples... skipping the doubles all together... If the international level skaters can do the singles, so can you

  3. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    10,977
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I trust my coach and the hockey line sprints worked very well for me to up my endurance. It is difficult to account for the effects of nervousness in a practice, and my second run through is more similar to a competition due to this. I am doing simple enough moves that it doesn't introduce poor technique but instead gets me used to skating on the shakey legs that appear in front of the judges.

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,157
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4049
    Quote Originally Posted by AusTechSpec View Post
    The idea is to stimulate competition day conditions correct?

    In which case wouldn't you have a 6 min warm up? or is it different for adult divisions???
    obvious type. although, 5 minutes may be a good idea, if you can do it after 5 minutes, you can do it after 6!

    I have my program music now. Time to get this program together.

  5. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    10,977
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I said 5 min in my original post because around here that is what most comps give as warm ups. Some refs call them as short as 3.

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    189
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    3 min warm ups!


    That sucks.... just enough time for some laps

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    47
    Posts
    17,918
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    30599
    Quote Originally Posted by AusTechSpec View Post
    3 min warm ups!


    That sucks.... just enough time for some laps
    Well if you knew anything about how Aussie Skate is run, they get 3 minute warm ups as standard.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

  8. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    189
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Well if you knew anything about how Aussie Skate is run, they get 3 minute warm ups as standard.
    Interesting yet irrelevant fact as we are talking about adult comps here???

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    47
    Posts
    17,918
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    30599
    Quote Originally Posted by AusTechSpec View Post
    Interesting yet irrelevant fact as we are talking about adult comps here???
    Wait a minute. You don't think adults have the right to compete do you? You know they should just be doing coffee clubs according to you.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    189
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Wait a minute. You don't think adults have the right to compete do you? You know they should just be doing coffee clubs according to you.
    You're a moron...

    You know full well I never said that... I actually wrote more than once that I encourage their competitions, and often go to watch...

    I said coffee skate sessions which are all ready in place in some rinks are an alternative place for adult skaters to train without all the hustle and bustle of the competitive figure sessions...

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    10,977
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by AusTechSpec View Post
    3 min warm ups!


    That sucks.... just enough time for some laps
    What really sucks, is they don't tell you it is only going to be 3 minutes. A novice lady got caught by surprise, the younger skaters usually repeat elements in the warm up. The ref just tells the announcer when to clear the ice. There is nothing I (the announcer) can do when he cuts it short except to talk really slowly to help the skaters out.

    I think he was rushing them because by USFS rules about who can share warm up space, so many were warming up alone.

  12. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    189
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    What really sucks, is they don't tell you it is only going to be 3 minutes. A novice lady got caught by surprise, the younger skaters usually repeat elements in the warm up. The ref just tells the announcer when to clear the ice. There is nothing I (the announcer) can do when he cuts it short except to talk really slowly to help the skaters out.

    I think he was rushing them because by USFS rules about who can share warm up space, so many were warming up alone.
    Still people put in a lot of time, and often do very specific training to prepare them to skate with a 6 min warm up.

    Seems a bit unfair to out of the blue force them into a 3 min....

  13. #33

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    47
    Posts
    17,918
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    30599
    Quote Originally Posted by AusTechSpec View Post
    You're a moron...

    You know full well I never said that... I actually wrote more than once that I encourage their competitions, and often go to watch...

    I said coffee skate sessions which are all ready in place in some rinks are an alternative place for adult skaters to train without all the hustle and bustle of the competitive figure sessions...
    You just don't get it do you.

    Oh dear time as much I would love to read your posts because they are so entertaining, it really is time to put you on the ignore list. After only one day on FSU too.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

  14. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    189
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    What's not to get, here I am talking in a completely unrelated thread and you turn up putting words in my mouth about another topic....
    Clearly you went searching for a dig right here...

    Do whatever you want...

  15. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    10,977
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by AusTechSpec View Post
    Still people put in a lot of time, and often do very specific training to prepare them to skate with a 6 min warm up.

    Seems a bit unfair to out of the blue force them into a 3 min....
    Completely unfair. But the ref does what he wants.

    We've looked previously and 6-minute warm up in the USFS rulebook appears to only applyto qualifying competitions. The schedule will usually indicate a 5 minute warm up, but if the ref calls it to end early, then there isn't much anyone could do. I suppose a coach could lodge a complaint.

  16. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    189
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Completely unfair. But the ref does what he wants.

    We've looked previously and 6-minute warm up in the USFS rulebook appears to only applyto qualifying competitions. The schedule will usually indicate a 5 minute warm up, but if the ref calls it to end early, then there isn't much anyone could do. I suppose a coach could lodge a complaint.
    Unfortunately there isn't any real way around it for smaller comps :S

    You could try finding another ref?

  17. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    10,977
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by AusTechSpec View Post
    You could try finding another ref?
    We use a different ref every competition. Some are nicer than others.

  18. #38
    Shadow dancing
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Formerly confusing people with suep1963
    Posts
    16,324
    vCash
    800
    Rep Power
    20765
    IMO, the key to competition warm up is to make sure you are completely warmed up off ice first. Then it doesn't really matter how much time the ref does or doesn't give you.

  19. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    189
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post
    IMO, the key to competition warm up is to make sure you are completely warmed up off ice first. Then it doesn't really matter how much time the ref does or doesn't give you.
    yes of course... but we were talking more specifically about the traditional 6 min on ice warm up ....

  20. #40
    Shadow dancing
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Formerly confusing people with suep1963
    Posts
    16,324
    vCash
    800
    Rep Power
    20765
    Quote Originally Posted by AusTechSpec View Post
    yes of course... but we were talking more specifically about the traditional 6 min on ice warm up ....
    YOU were talking about the traditional 6 minute warm up.

    Skittl1321 was commenting on how the warm-up length can be at the mercy of the referee.

    I commented, based on what Skittl1321 said, that off-ice warm ups are essential to prepare a skater, and if the skater is properly prepared then it won't matter if the referee shortens your on-ice warm up. (Which goes to what the OP was asking.)

    So, the moral of the story is that I wasn't actually talking to you, and your opinion wasn't important in my framing of my comment. Quite frankly, very little of what you say is of any importance to me, after reading what you said about adult skaters in the Aussie testing thread, because I don't believe that you know (or care) anything about adult skaters, one of whom started this thread to begin with. I'm not sure why you are even in this thread.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •