Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    Perhaps Abbott doesn't want Skate America. Does anyone know if he has turned it down in the past? Also, how are there two host picks? I thought two of the US men at SA were decided based on the selection criteria and only the 3rd was a host pick.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    IMO, Abbott, Rippon, and Weir should go to SA.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Federations are only required to select its own skaters from the 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12, Top 24 SB, and Top 24 WS buckets if they have no other choice when it's time to make their selection, and if they are randomly drawn to select first or second, they would never have to select a 1-12 (guaranteed two) from their own country.

This year, there is only one skater from the US who is guaranteed two -- Abbott -- and depending on when USFS picks, they could choose Ten (7) or Fernandez (9) from the 7-9 bucket instead of Abbott (8). Assuming Brown and Farris go senior, they only have to choose Brown, Farris, Rippon, or Miner from the Top 24 SB if no other Feds did or Dornbush from the Top 24 WS if no other Fed did (and since there are only four in this category, USFS might not have to choose one at all.)
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    Perhaps Abbott doesn't want Skate America. Does anyone know if he has turned it down in the past? Also, how are there two host picks? I thought two of the US men at SA were decided based on the selection criteria and only the 3rd was a host pick.
    I remember Abbott saying he wanted SA before

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    I remember Abbott saying he wanted SA before
    Yeah, he seemed pretty bummed out last year on twitter that he didn't get it.

It would be nice for them to feature the national champ at home. They want to, y'know, bring people into SA, so that would be a good place to start. Inviting Johnny would be next

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    I thought two of the US men at SA were decided based on the selection criteria and only the 3rd was a host pick.
    Each host federation gets three host picks, subject to the selection criteria, though this past season these host picks were in the first instance supposed to meet the selection criteria by being in the Top 75 on the Season's Best List.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Each host federation gets three host picks, subject to the selection criteria, though this past season these host picks were in the first instance supposed to meet the selection criteria by being in the Top 75 on the Season's Best List.
    That's the reason for some of the TBD's, because subs don't need to fulfill the criteria. It's a useless rule, since the workaround is so obvious to void it.

The only skater that USFS needs to grab in the first selection is Abbott if they want him, because if they don't select him as a host pick, other Federations are required to give him two spots. Any other host spots can be left at TBDs, because then USFS can give one the guaranteed skaters a second, or pretty much any other US skater a first.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    IMO, Abbott, Rippon, and Weir should go to SA.
    Lol. If they move to senior, I hope Farris and Brown get SA. USFS needs to show them off, I'm sorry but the current senior US men haven't been too impressive this season.

I admire Miner's consistency, and Abbott when he's
    "on" is stunning, but unfortunately, Abbott's been "off" far more than "on" this past season, and when he's "off", he's hardly better than any of the others. Ross if he can start trying a quad in competition will hold my attention more, but I honestly don't want to see Rippon on another World team unless he can get his 3a consistent and get his quad attempts closer. Someone with an unreliable 3a and a "quad" that is always 3.5 revolutions with a fall or 2ft shouldn't really be representing the US at Worlds IMO. I like Dornbush and he has a good 3a and had pretty good success with his 4t this season, but he was a mess in at least one program pretty much all season.

Farris has the potential to overtake all of these guys (save an "on" Abbott) as early as this coming season if he can consistently skate like he did at JW, and if he adds the 4t to his FS like it seems is his plan, that will just help increase his odds of doing so. The same is true for Brown if he can get that 3a and start doing 2 of them in his FS. After 2014, these 2 along with Nathan Chen most likely, are probably the best bets to be the top US men going into the next Olympic cycle, and there's even a chance that Farris, and maybe even Brown, could make the 2014 team, particularly if we can get 3 spots.

The USFS needs to be smart about who goes to Worlds next year because we really want the 3 spots for the Olympics. So if Farris and Brown move up, I say give them SA, make sure they get 2 assignments and exposure, because unless some of these other guys get it together and fast, one of these two might be a wiser choice to send to Worlds to increase the odds of getting 3 spots. At this point, on paper, looking at international scores and individual skills, Farris, IMO, is the logical 2nd member of the World team. Of course this can change if:
    - Miner continues his build, starts trying a quad, and has reasonable success with it
    - Dornbush bounces back and can start performing consistently again with his 3a and 4t
    - Rippon has a serious overhaul on his 3a technique, can get that jump consistent, and can start rotating his 4s
    - Brown gets his 3a and gets it consistent enough to do it in the SP and 2 in his FS
    - Farris doesn't start trying the 4t in competition and/or has major issues with it, and is unable to regain his JW form
    - Mahbanoozadeh manages to get an international assignment, puts out his 4t with some success, and posts PCS marks significantly improved from his usual
    - Weir and/or Lysacek makes a convincing comeback (at more than one competition)
    - Aaron/Messing/Mroz/Razzano skates a blinder at Nationals with quads

So a lot of things can happen. I just hope the USFS realizes after what happened this year that they shouldn't hold up Rippon at Nats to make sure he gets to Worlds because at this point he's not really even a top 10 contender until he gets his jump issues worked out.

vCash
    How much funding are the skaters given?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    I asked the same question twice. with no asnwer, I only assumed that it must a big secret...

Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vexlak View Post
    I asked the same question twice. with no asnwer, I only assumed that it must a big secret...
    http://www.usfigureskating.org/Athletes.asp?id=214

Seems like it could vary with the amount of different funds available.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vexlak View Post
    Maybe people just don't know.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    First prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    First prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.
    Fired? I remember the good old days when third place was at least a can of SPAM.

If I remember correctly, during skating's "hey day" Team A got something like $25k - $30k (split if a pairs or dance team) in funding. I'm sure than number has decreased considerably since 2006. I also seem to recall that a lot of "A" team members (Kwan, Cohen, Hughes, etc.) often returned the money to the fund because they were making decent money with Champions on Ice.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    I think I remember reading a few years back that A-tier funding was 15k. I'm not sure of the others, or if that's still the case.

Title-less
    vCash
    Nm

There was a discussion on the same topic with mention of $$$ posted a couple years ago if youwant a rough idea...
    Last edited by jlai; 05-11-2012 at 02:38 AM.

vCash
    [Note: jlai has since edited the post above, so I will edit mine as well.]

Quote Originally Posted by mgobluegirl View Post
    I think I remember reading a few years back that A-tier funding was 15k. I'm not sure of the others, or if that's still the case.
    $15,000 sounds about right as an estimate. From around the same time period, Team B singles skaters received ~ $10,000 and Team C ~$5,000. I do not know if these amounts are still comparable today.

Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    Of course, they don't have team a tier 1 and 2 anymore...
    Tiers 1 and 2 are still referenced in the "Additional Considerations" section of the published 2012-13 envelope criteria; they just aren't listed separately on the USFS site anymore.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-11-2012 at 03:55 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Love Jason Brown, but I hope USFSA waits until seeing the results of some of the big summer competitions before deciding on the full S.A. lineup -- I'm hoping he shows up with a triple axel in both programs.

vCash
    I guess I should modify my original question.
    Does the USFSA pay for their coaching, equipment, doctors etc on top of the fund money? I am curious to compare the funding for the US team compares to other federations. If the $25k received should cover the ice time, equipment, coaching choreographer, costumes and all other expense affiliated with top level skating, the amount would not cover it. Am I wrong on this?

Title-less
    vCash
    Skateweb once posted the team envelope funding info for 2000 which is ages ago. Given that funding was $15000 back 12 years ago for team A singles (10000 for team b and 5000 for c) and the numbers being tossed around since have not changed that much (though things have gotten expensive), I doubt the actual amount of team funding will be significantly different from last year though I can be wrong.

Eta didnt realize in 1999 team A only got 6000...
    Last edited by jlai; 05-11-2012 at 04:49 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast