Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vexlak View Post
    I guess I should modify my original question.
    Does the USFSA pay for their coaching, equipment, doctors etc on top of the fund money?
    No. ETA: They do have performance camps, but I'm not sure what is covered, aside from presentations.

Quote Originally Posted by vexlak View Post
    I am curious to compare the funding for the US team compares to other federations.
    That depends entirely on the federation. Some cover everything for elite athletes, and most cover almost nothing.

If the $25k received should cover the ice time, equipment, coaching choreographer, costumes and all other expense affiliated with top level skating, the amount would not cover it. Am I wrong on this?
    At the level at which the senior singles skaters need to be in order to qualify for this kind of funding, the answer is no, unless at least one of the parents is the coach with a rink deal for ice time, the costumes are borrowed, second-hand, or designed and made by a parent or relative or "angel", even if lots of his/her coaches' students are at the same international competitions together, covering the same lost coaching wages and travel expenses, the skater doesn't travel with any family members for competitions,and the skater doesn't have to/doesn't do any summer or monitoring competitions or Senior B's, and then maybe/possibly/probably not. Not everyone spends $150K+/year like Chan, but even so, it's unlikely that either Wagner or Abbott (see below) made enough from envelope money and competition earnings to cover their costs.

At the level at which the skaters have qualified for the envelopes, seniors would have made some prize money, some of which would be spent on coaches' competition expenses and lost wages. For example, from Envelope A:

Ashley Wagner (All criteria but medalist at GPF)
    Skate Canada (3): $9K
    NHK (4): $3K
    Four Continents (1): $15K
    World Championships (4): $13K
    World Team Trophy (3): a cut of $170K, (I'm not sure how it's divvied up among singles and teams and if placement has anything to do with it.)

Total international earnings: $40K plus a cut of WTT prize money net of additional incremental expenses for international competitions, plus exhibition fees for SC and maybe NHK, 4C's, WC's. (For GP, this was $200.)

Jeremy Abbott (National Champion and Top 10 at 2012 Worlds)
    Cup of China (1): $18K
    Rostelecom (3): $9K
    GPF (5): $4K
    World Championships (8): $5K
    World Team Trophy (5): a cut of $170K

Total international earnings: $36K plust a cut of WTT prize money..., plus exhibition fees for 2 GPs.

However, all of this doesn't begin to cover the hundreds of thousands of dollars skaters and families have invested before they get a dime in return.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 05-11-2012 at 05:15 AM.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    No. ETA: They do have performance camps, but I'm not sure what is covered, aside from presentations.

That depends entirely on the federation. Some cover everything for elite athletes, and most cover almost nothing.

At the level at which the senior singles skaters need to be in order to qualify for this kind of funding, the answer is no, unless at least one of the parents is the coach with a rink deal for ice time, the costumes are borrowed, second-hand, or designed and made by a parent or relative or "angel", even if lots of his/her coaches' students are at the same international competitions together, covering the same lost coaching wages and travel expenses, the skater doesn't travel with any family members for competitions,and the skater doesn't have to/doesn't do any summer or monitoring competitions or Senior B's, and then maybe/possibly/probably not. Not everyone spends $150K+/year like Chan, but even so, it's unlikely that either Wagner or Abbott (see below) made enough from envelope money and competition earnings to cover their costs.

At the level at which the skaters have qualified for the envelopes, seniors would have made some prize money, some of which would be spent on coaches' competition expenses and lost wages. For example, from Envelope A:

Ashley Wagner (All criteria but medalist at GPF)
    Skate Canada (3): $9K
    NHK (4): $3K
    Four Continents (1): $15K
    World Championships (4): $13K
    World Team Trophy (3): a cut of $170K, (I'm not sure how it's divvied up among singles and teams and if placement has anything to do with it.)

Total international earnings: $40K plus a cut of WTT prize money net of additional incremental expenses for international competitions, plus exhibition fees for SC and maybe NHK, 4C's, WC's. (For GP, this was $200.)

Jeremy Abbott (National Champion and Top 10 at 2012 Worlds)
    Cup of China (1): $18K
    Rostelecom (3): $9K
    GPF (5): $4K
    World Championships (8): $5K
    World Team Trophy (5): a cut of $170K

Total international earnings: $36K plust a cut of WTT prize money..., plus exhibition fees for 2 GPs.

However, all of this doesn't begin to cover the hundreds of thousands of dollars skaters and families have invested before they get a dime in return.
    Thank you.
    Now it's clear why a Olympic winner participates in dance TV show instead of promoting figure skating.

vCash
    Do Junior Grand Prix medalists get any prize money?

Is there prize money for the Senior B competition medalists?

And do the biggest name skaters get money for competing at Grand Prix events?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Perhaps we can start a new thread about how skaters, not just in the U.S., are funded (or not funded enough)? Is there interest?

ETA: I went ahead and started a thread (missing, I replied to your questions over there):
    Funding of international skaters: federation/gov't/private/other support & prize $$$
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-11-2012 at 02:24 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's certainly frozen over.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Love Jason Brown, but I hope USFSA waits until seeing the results of some of the big summer competitions before deciding on the full S.A. lineup -- I'm hoping he shows up with a triple axel in both programs.
    Since we don't even know if Jason Brown intends to skate junior or senior internationally next year, it's probably premature to talk about Skate America.

And IIRC, the USFSA usually puts 2 of the 3 home skater slots as "TBA" until the Fall (although more likely they'd be waiting to hear from Lysacek or Weir, not waiting for summer competitions).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missing View Post
    Do Junior Grand Prix medalists get any prize money?

They used to, not sure about current practices.

Is there prize money for the Senior B competition medalists?

No.

And do the biggest name skaters get money for competing at Grand Prix events?
    My understanding is there are.have been "appearance fees" given

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    AnnMJensen, I've re-posted your reply in the new thread since it's relevant there: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...28#post3567928

ETA some age trivia: The youngest of the 2012-13 team envelope athletes is 11-year-old Novice men's champ Vincent Zhou (born Oct. 2000) while the oldest is Jeremy Abbott, who will turn 27 in June.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-11-2012 at 07:34 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Caitlin Belt & Michael Johnson and Kaitlin Hawayek & Jean-Luc Baker have been added to the ISP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sammyf View Post
    Caitlin Belt & Michael Johnson and Kaitlin Hawayek & Jean-Luc Baker have been added to the ISP
    Olson/Hubbell also were added.

vCash
    I can't wait to see Hawayek/Baker in action!

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    As was noted in another thread recently, the new Senior pair team of Alexa Scimeca and Christopher Knierim have also been added to the ISP.

Coaching changes of team envelope and/or ISP skaters in the off-season:
    Mirai Nagasu: Wendy Olson
    Christina Gao: Mark Mitchell and Peter Johansson at the Skating Club of Boston (she is planning to start her freshman year at Harvard this fall)
    Courtney Hicks: Scott Wendland (as listed in her updated ISU bio)
    Leah Keiser: John Nicks
    Nathan Chen: Rafael Arutyunyan (relocated to Lake Arrowhead, CA after Nationals)
    Kiri Baga: Cindy Caprel in Chicago for singles; she is also skating pairs there
    Grant Hochstein: Peter Oppegard and Karen Kwan
    Shotaro Omori: Tammy Gambill
    Holly Moore & Daniel Klaber: Pasquale Camerlengo, Angelika Krylova, Massimo Scali, Liz Swallow, Natalia Deller (relocated to Detroit SC full-time after Nationals)

ETA that Jordan Moeller -- 2011 Novice Men's silver medalist who placed 5th in Junior at Midwestern Sectionals last season and placed 3rd in Junior (161.02 total) at the Glacier Falls competition earlier this month -- was added to the ISP as of August 14.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-15-2012 at 05:53 AM.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Bumping this thread up for a 2012-13 Team Funding Envelope Additional Considerations update:

Any athlete(s) who medal in the Junior or Senior levels at a spring international will be awarded ASUPP funding equal to 10% of the total amount of Team C - Tier 2 funding of the current season.

This applies to the following 2013 Challenge Cup (Feb. 21-24 in The Hague, Netherlands) Senior level U.S. entries: Alexander Johnson, Brandon Mroz, Tarah Kayne/Daniel O'Shea, Kiri Baga/Taylor Toth, DeeDee Leng/Timothy LeDuc (ETA: everyone should be added to the 2012-13 Reserve Team envelope for being named to this competition).

Spring Developmental International: TBA

Any athlete(s) who is selected to the World Junior Team, that is not in the current season's envelope structure, will be placed in Team C - Tier 1 and receive the final installment of funding for the current season.
    This applies to 2 members of the 2013 World Junior Team: Shotaro Omori (already in the 2012-13 Reserve Team envelope due to his 2 JGPs) & Yasmin Siraj (ETA: She should be added to the 2012-13 Reserve Team envelope for being named to this competition).

I've compiled an UNOFFICIAL list of the projected U.S. Team A, B, and C envelope skaters/teams for the 2013-14 season based on the published criteria (with Junior Worlds and Worlds to go) in my blog: http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/2...n-in-progress/
    Last edited by Sylvia; 02-12-2013 at 01:23 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234