Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

vCash
    Didn't Gordeeva and Grinkov have a John Cage moment (partial 4' 33") at one of their earliest Senior Worlds?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TwizzlerS View Post
    Didn't Gordeeva and Grinkov have a John Cage moment (partial 4' 33") at one of their earliest Senior Worlds?
    Yes, but iirc, for that one (1987 season) the referee purposely had the music cut off because Sergei Grinkov had costume malfunction that could possibly result in injury. The pair were supposed to stop skating. (That was the first season after they left Stanislav Zhuk.)

The Rodnina+Zaitsev 4'33" was apparently a new program given to them at 1973 Worlds by a worker at the arena in Bratislava.

vCash
    Rodnina & Zaitsev, in their first Worlds as a couple, skating to 4'33"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7BLM...tailpage#t=46s

vCash
    Carolina Kostner 2011-2012 Short Program.. I loved the program and choreography and she has done very well with it and judges seem to like it as well. But when you actually listen to the music, its more just noise.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    Carolina Kostner 2011-2012 Short Program.. I loved the program and choreography and she has done very well with it and judges seem to like it as well. But when you actually listen to the music, its more just noise.
    No it is not just noise. It is Shostokovich. Most people don't get it because they don't challenge themselves to listen to music outside of the mainstream, whether it be popular classics or commercial radio. I imagine as a musician it would be a very difficult piece to play but I would love to see a live performance of it.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I love Carolina's choice of Shostokovich. Such a gorgeous and texturally interesting piece. I hope she continues to use selections that are less mainstream. Like Red Violin, which got quite a few "what weird music" reactions when the program was first introduced, it isn't all "pretty" melodies.

vCash
    I loved Brezina's Untouchables FS. Although that might be because I am extremely biased

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    No it is not just noise. It is Shostokovich. Most people don't get it because they don't challenge themselves to listen to music outside of the mainstream, whether it be popular classics or commercial radio. I imagine as a musician it would be a very difficult piece to play but I would love to see a live performance of it.

Dont misunderstand me... I think the music is great, and i love how it is not typical skating music.. But i believe Carolina has said it herself in an interview that she thought it was just noise not music..

vCash
    So far nothing has topped Joanna Ng's crazed exotic dancer for me, although the Night and Day Virgin polka deserves an honorable mention.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    Dont misunderstand me... I think the music is great, and i love how it is not typical skating music.. But i believe Carolina has said it herself in an interview that she thought it was just noise not music..
    Whoever gave her that music is a genius.

Seriously one of the issues in skating is the lack of musical education. It is why we keep getting the same pieces again and again. However skating is a sport done to music and skaters and coaches really need to look outside what they know. The laziest thing a coach can do is just hand music down from one skater to another which you see year after year.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    This girl is 12 and portraying a crazed exotic dancer.... and she is actually really good. I wonder whatever happened to her. Sylvia?

Joanna Ng 1990 Skate Canada
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...uOkNfvo#t=173s (this is where the program starts; go to the beginning to see a long fluff piece with Frank Carroll).
    This is unbelievable for a 12yo! She's a natural dancer.
    Yeah, what happened? Did injury cut short her skating career?

vCash
    Whoever gave her that music is a genius.
    From interviews with Carolina, Lori apparently sent it to her in advance asking her to listen to it. At first, Caro found it odd but liked the idea of skating to it and thought it would be fun trying to choreograph a SP to this piece. When they started to work on choreography, all the little girls at the rink started dancing to the music instantly and then they both knew it was a good choice

I hope they come up with something different again next season, if Carolina decides to keep competing. She has had the best music choices out of all ladies over the past seasons.

vCash
    Has no one mentioned Mysliveckova & Novak's FD to Variations on Finance & Slavery & Rabbits, some of the most questionable music ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RWIIj21sbU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggs View Post
    When they started to work on choreography, all the little girls at the rink started dancing to the music instantly and then they both knew it was a good choice
    That is always one of the best guides to good skating music - see if the kids at the rink like it.

Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Has no one mentioned Mysliveckova & Novak's FD to Variations on Finance & Slavery & Rabbits, some of the most questionable music ever

It is just a shocker, isn't it? Up there with Olga Markova.

vCash
    I hate uneven programs, but Gusmeroli's Legends of the Fall was such genius.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I hate uneven programs, but Gusmeroli's Legends of the Fall was such genius.
    Absolutely. I loved that program. A great example of an unbalanced program that totally works.

vCash
    Absolutely. I loved that program. A great example of an unbalanced program that totally works.
    Totally agree! Although truth be told, I do adore horrendously unbalanced programs just for the geeky and math-like (to me) quirkiness of their structures. Vanessa's LOTF is probably what I view as the Holy Grail of unbalanced programs (all 6 triples before the 2:30 mark, and all 6 spins in the final 1:30), and -- as you and others have mentioned -- it legitimately still worked out beautifully.

Slightly OT, but other horribly front-loaded programs (jump-wise) that I've enjoyed are:

-- Sasha's Robin Lake (especially with the questionable lack of choreography)
    -- Michelle's Red Violin
    -- Shuzuka's 2004 Turandot

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post

They could've gone so much further! Where were the matching His and Hers fuchsia feather boas? Or stylin' pimp hats? Or the dry humping choreography (like rabbits) at the boards in front of the camera/cameraman? They should've hired Olga Markova as a choreographic adviser for this program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by satchelpooch318 View Post
    They could've gone so much further! Where were the matching His and Hers fuchsia feather boas? Or stylin' pimp hats? Or the dry humping choreography (like rabbits) at the boards in front of the camera/cameraman? They should've hired Olga Markova as a choreographic adviser for this program.
    Well it is undeniable that Olga was very familiar with the music.

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    This is an example of a skater who doesn't need to be taught to use music. She just does and it is so innate and intuitive. Even if a choreographer gave her the moves, the interpretation has totally come from her. And not a wasted note of music and so many interesting moves and ideas. Thanks for posting because it was really worth seeing that.
    What on earth stopped her from being a multiple World and Olympic champion?
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast