Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 86
  1. #61

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    at my computer
    Posts
    1,482
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    106
    Didn't Gordeeva and Grinkov have a John Cage moment (partial 4' 33") at one of their earliest Senior Worlds?

  2. #62
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    in my Hello Kitty cell-bloc
    Posts
    3,578
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TwizzlerS View Post
    Didn't Gordeeva and Grinkov have a John Cage moment (partial 4' 33") at one of their earliest Senior Worlds?
    Yes, but iirc, for that one (1987 season) the referee purposely had the music cut off because Sergei Grinkov had costume malfunction that could possibly result in injury. The pair were supposed to stop skating. (That was the first season after they left Stanislav Zhuk.)

    The Rodnina+Zaitsev 4'33" was apparently a new program given to them at 1973 Worlds by a worker at the arena in Bratislava.

  3. #63

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Staring at the ocean, anywhere anytime
    Posts
    9,677
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4440
    Rodnina & Zaitsev, in their first Worlds as a couple, skating to 4'33"

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7BLM...tailpage#t=46s

  4. #64
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Kostner #1 Fan
    Posts
    436
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Carolina Kostner 2011-2012 Short Program.. I loved the program and choreography and she has done very well with it and judges seem to like it as well. But when you actually listen to the music, its more just noise.

  5. #65

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    47
    Posts
    17,726
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    15832
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    Carolina Kostner 2011-2012 Short Program.. I loved the program and choreography and she has done very well with it and judges seem to like it as well. But when you actually listen to the music, its more just noise.
    No it is not just noise. It is Shostokovich. Most people don't get it because they don't challenge themselves to listen to music outside of the mainstream, whether it be popular classics or commercial radio. I imagine as a musician it would be a very difficult piece to play but I would love to see a live performance of it.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

  6. #66

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,873
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3930
    I love Carolina's choice of Shostokovich. Such a gorgeous and texturally interesting piece. I hope she continues to use selections that are less mainstream. Like Red Violin, which got quite a few "what weird music" reactions when the program was first introduced, it isn't all "pretty" melodies.

  7. #67
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Michal Brezina's pants
    Posts
    272
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I loved Brezina's Untouchables FS. Although that might be because I am extremely biased

  8. #68
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Kostner #1 Fan
    Posts
    436
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    No it is not just noise. It is Shostokovich. Most people don't get it because they don't challenge themselves to listen to music outside of the mainstream, whether it be popular classics or commercial radio. I imagine as a musician it would be a very difficult piece to play but I would love to see a live performance of it.

    Dont misunderstand me... I think the music is great, and i love how it is not typical skating music.. But i believe Carolina has said it herself in an interview that she thought it was just noise not music..

  9. #69

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,972
    vCash
    1271
    Rep Power
    5560
    So far nothing has topped Joanna Ng's crazed exotic dancer for me, although the Night and Day Virgin polka deserves an honorable mention.

  10. #70

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    47
    Posts
    17,726
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    15832
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    Dont misunderstand me... I think the music is great, and i love how it is not typical skating music.. But i believe Carolina has said it herself in an interview that she thought it was just noise not music..
    Whoever gave her that music is a genius.

    Seriously one of the issues in skating is the lack of musical education. It is why we keep getting the same pieces again and again. However skating is a sport done to music and skaters and coaches really need to look outside what they know. The laziest thing a coach can do is just hand music down from one skater to another which you see year after year.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

  11. #71

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    2,555
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    6051
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    This girl is 12 and portraying a crazed exotic dancer.... and she is actually really good. I wonder whatever happened to her. Sylvia?

    Joanna Ng 1990 Skate Canada
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...uOkNfvo#t=173s (this is where the program starts; go to the beginning to see a long fluff piece with Frank Carroll).
    This is unbelievable for a 12yo! She's a natural dancer.
    Yeah, what happened? Did injury cut short her skating career?

  12. #72
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,013
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Whoever gave her that music is a genius.
    From interviews with Carolina, Lori apparently sent it to her in advance asking her to listen to it. At first, Caro found it odd but liked the idea of skating to it and thought it would be fun trying to choreograph a SP to this piece. When they started to work on choreography, all the little girls at the rink started dancing to the music instantly and then they both knew it was a good choice

    I hope they come up with something different again next season, if Carolina decides to keep competing. She has had the best music choices out of all ladies over the past seasons.

  13. #73

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Staring at the ocean, anywhere anytime
    Posts
    9,677
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4440
    Has no one mentioned Mysliveckova & Novak's FD to Variations on Finance & Slavery & Rabbits, some of the most questionable music ever

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RWIIj21sbU

  14. #74

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    47
    Posts
    17,726
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    15832
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggs View Post
    When they started to work on choreography, all the little girls at the rink started dancing to the music instantly and then they both knew it was a good choice
    That is always one of the best guides to good skating music - see if the kids at the rink like it.

    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Has no one mentioned Mysliveckova & Novak's FD to Variations on Finance & Slavery & Rabbits, some of the most questionable music ever

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RWIIj21sbU
    It is just a shocker, isn't it? Up there with Olga Markova.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

  15. #75
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    11,069
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I hate uneven programs, but Gusmeroli's Legends of the Fall was such genius.

  16. #76

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    47
    Posts
    17,726
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    15832
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I hate uneven programs, but Gusmeroli's Legends of the Fall was such genius.
    Absolutely. I loved that program. A great example of an unbalanced program that totally works.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

  17. #77
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    230
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Absolutely. I loved that program. A great example of an unbalanced program that totally works.
    Totally agree! Although truth be told, I do adore horrendously unbalanced programs just for the geeky and math-like (to me) quirkiness of their structures. Vanessa's LOTF is probably what I view as the Holy Grail of unbalanced programs (all 6 triples before the 2:30 mark, and all 6 spins in the final 1:30), and -- as you and others have mentioned -- it legitimately still worked out beautifully.

    Slightly OT, but other horribly front-loaded programs (jump-wise) that I've enjoyed are:

    -- Sasha's Robin Lake (especially with the questionable lack of choreography)
    -- Michelle's Red Violin
    -- Shuzuka's 2004 Turandot

  18. #78
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    230
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Has no one mentioned Mysliveckova & Novak's FD to Variations on Finance & Slavery & Rabbits, some of the most questionable music ever

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RWIIj21sbU
    They could've gone so much further! Where were the matching His and Hers fuchsia feather boas? Or stylin' pimp hats? Or the dry humping choreography (like rabbits) at the boards in front of the camera/cameraman? They should've hired Olga Markova as a choreographic adviser for this program.

  19. #79

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    47
    Posts
    17,726
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    15832
    Quote Originally Posted by satchelpooch318 View Post
    They could've gone so much further! Where were the matching His and Hers fuchsia feather boas? Or stylin' pimp hats? Or the dry humping choreography (like rabbits) at the boards in front of the camera/cameraman? They should've hired Olga Markova as a choreographic adviser for this program.
    Well it is undeniable that Olga was very familiar with the music.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

  20. #80
    Wandering Goy
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Age
    57
    Posts
    4,938
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2068
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    This is an example of a skater who doesn't need to be taught to use music. She just does and it is so innate and intuitive. Even if a choreographer gave her the moves, the interpretation has totally come from her. And not a wasted note of music and so many interesting moves and ideas. Thanks for posting because it was really worth seeing that.
    What on earth stopped her from being a multiple World and Olympic champion?
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •