Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post

I didn't expect that, but the bar in Canadian Ladies singles right now is pretty low.
    Darn, and up until now I was going to sneak in there and win the title with my reliable single jumps
    We live in an ageist society where everything is based on youth, but I hated being 18. I don't like teenagers any more now than I did then. I'm 49 now and there is no way that I'd go back to my teens and 20s - even if I knew what I know now, I don't want to go through all that again. I found it a very difficult time. - Buzz Osborne of the Melvins

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Darn, and up until now I was going to sneak in there and win the title with my reliable single jumps
    I was going to do my best rendition of Debi Thomas's Sabre Dance exhibition to win. But then I decided that I would rather do Ice Dance in Japan so I could win WTT. I would do both dances to the song "dancing with myself"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Yeah, I don't know if Paul and Vanessa made the right decision, breaking up (at least results-wise). I think Piper and Paul will do quite well, but maybe not as well as Paul and Vanessa did or would have if they stayed together. I feel the same way about Emily Samuelson and Evan Bates. Sigh.
    I think Paul took a step down. The more I re-watch his routines in C&P, the more I feel that way. I agree about Samuleson & Bates, although didn't always. Vanessa is a special skater and a tough competitor. I'm looking forward to her skating singles.

vCash
    the post on the Facebook page has been removed! Maybe she was drunk when she posted... ? (snark..)
    CaroFan™

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eleonorad View Post
    the post on the Facebook page has been removed! Maybe she was drunk when she posted... ? (snark..)
    Or maybe she found an ice dance partner? One can hope, right?
    I'm not spoiled...I deserve all my stuff.

vCash
    A Jessica Dubé move?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skategal View Post
    Or maybe she found an ice dance partner? One can hope, right?
    I really hope so. She was a very good dancer.
    CaroFan™

vCash
    No, she saw my and macassar88's plans and decided we were too unbeatable for her
    We live in an ageist society where everything is based on youth, but I hated being 18. I don't like teenagers any more now than I did then. I'm 49 now and there is no way that I'd go back to my teens and 20s - even if I knew what I know now, I don't want to go through all that again. I found it a very difficult time. - Buzz Osborne of the Melvins

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    No, she saw my and macassar88's plans and decided we were too unbeatable for her
    Or she's moving to Japan to skate with me! The reeds can suck it!
    We can be like Bestemianova and Bukin. I will do front crossovers and she can do everything else.

vCash
    New update from Vanessa's Facebook. She can't see herself dancig with anyone but Paul so she's going to Ladies Singles. Much more detail on her FB

vCash
    She could see herself dance with mister Hubbell or Sorensen not so long ago.
    If a talented dancer like Asher Hill were available some day, I am sure she would pick up the phone.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Harvey/Gagnon are not competing this season, and according to their ISU bios, Gagnon is even 4cm taller than Poirier (176-180), which means at least he's not shorter. Crone is listed at 160 vs. Harvey's 166.

Gagnon, if he's still skating, would be prize to go after among the (presumably) available Canadian male dancers.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    If a talented dancer like Asher Hill were available some day, I am sure she would pick up the phone.
    YES!

Asher Hill is amazing and as much as I love Ralph/Hill, Kharis is clearly the weakest link in that team.

Crone/Hill could be incredible.

vCash
    Seem to recall gagnon retired ????

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    US dancer Nicholas Traxler has already retired at least twice, yet I saw his name again on one of the summer comp rosters. Unless he retired because of injury, perhaps he could be convinced to unretire.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    New update from Vanessa's Facebook. She can't see herself dancig with anyone but Paul so she's going to Ladies Singles. Much more detail on her FB
    Here is the text of her full message, posted yesterday at https://www.facebook.com/cronevanessa
    Hi everyone,

It has been a long time since I have spoken openly about anything. Now it’s time for me to release some news about my skating career.

After Paul ended our partnership, I was devastated and took some time off to recuperate from the shock. Eventually, I got myself back on the ice, working to get into tip top shape again. I found it very hard to find a new partner since I had not anticipated the split. I got a tryout and moved to Detroit.

Unfortunately, that partnership didn’t last. I did another tryout a couple months later, moving to Montreal. This was also unsuccessful, so I moved back home to Toronto again. I felt blessed to have had these opportunities, working with extraordinary partners and coaches in both Detroit and Montreal.

Since I had been gone a whole season, I knew it was time for me to make a decision. After pursuing those two tryouts and experiencing different scenery, coaching, partners, and support, I could re-think my motivation and my goals. I realized that I couldn’t see myself with anyone but Paul, and that my dance career would come to a halt, at least for now.

I have had some time to think about what I am going to do in figure skating because I love this sport more than anything and don’t want to be away from it. In the past I have competed in singles and enjoyed it immensely, but have never been able to make it my primary goal. Moving into competing singles is something I have wanted to do and I think it will be the best route for me to take at this point in my life and career. I will miss competing dance a lot, but I know that this is something that I need and want to do.

So: This is my first official press release since the split and I am really happy to say that I will now officially be competing in the Senior Ladies event this season!

I would like to thank everyone for the support and love that you gave me over the many years I competed in dance. Every one of you made my skating journey incredible day in and day out. The support was overflowing and genuine and I am so proud and happy that I was able to share my career with every single person possible. I can’t thank my fans enough for all those years of dedication. A special thanks to everyone at Skate Canada for the support and time they put into me as an athlete and a person. I was so privileged to skate for all of the judges and officials who also played a huge part in my career, helping me reach my goals and dreams.

The coaches that I worked with on and off the ice contributed a tremendous part to my growth as an athlete and taught me so many skills that I will remember and take with me for the rest of my life. I am grateful to my family for always being there and doing whatever they could to make it possible for my dreams to come true: most importantly, my mom has gone above and beyond for me year after year. She made sure everything I needed was at my fingertips, but most importantly made me the woman I am today. Without her, I would not have been able to pursue my dreams.

So thank you everyone for all that you have done for me in my career as an ice dancer. Now, onto the next part of my journey and whatever the future holds. I can’t wait to share my next chapter with all of you!

Vanessa Crone
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I wish Vanessa all the best. I did not realize it was Paul (and maybe the coach) who initiated the breakup.

I wonder if pairs would be an option for her. If she has a 2A and 3T, I think she would be fantastic!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    I wonder if pairs would be an option for her. If she has a 2A and 3T, I think she would be fantastic!
    I don't believe Crone has either at this point. She also has no pairs experience that I'm aware of. Singles might be doable, though a long shot. Pairs is probably out of the question.

I do hope she finds the best solution for herself, and that we'll see her compete again.

vCash
    Singles is "doable" without a 2A and a 3T? Soooo...Crone has a 3Z, 3L, 3A, 3S? Maybe even a quad? FANTASTIC!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    Singles is "doable" without a 2A and a 3T?
    She did go for 2A as a junior skater. With training, maybe she could get a couple of harder jumps - though as I said, it is a long shot. But getting said jumps while also learning pairs skills would be a tall order for anyone.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast