Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Massimo Scali, the challenge continues

http://www.artonice.it/?q=en/node/12001

When we were in Nice pingu and I got to interview Massimo, which was very kind indeed and talked us a lot about his opinion on ice dance, the italian school, his pupils in Detroit etc- this is the english translation of the interview, I hope you enjoy!
    CaroFan™

vCash
    Great interview, thank you.
    It has so many interesting details in it, both about the work in Detroit and Massimo's thoughts about ice dance in general.
    I miss him and his stories at press conferences...

vCash
    Are Massimo and the American still together? Massimo is such a good looking guy! Just curious..Not going to say names because I know how some people are with this (even though it's a double standard because people's weddings,engagements, girlfriend/boyfriend and other personal info can be discussed here)

vCash
    It's news to me that it can't be discussed. Massimo is an adult. As long as what is discussed is fact, not rumor or speculation, there is no reason his significent other can't be named. However, that kind of discussion is usually done in the Trash Can since strictly speaking it's not skating news.

vCash
    Thank you for the interview, great read! Massimo sounds very happy in his role as coach
    in Detroit.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Great interview -- thank you so much for the interview!
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Thank you so much. Interesting interview. The DSC Ice Dance school is so impressive.

vCash
    Thanks! We had a lot of fun, Massimo is a very down to earth guy so it was not difficult to talk with him for such a long time
    A grumpy Canadian will always be nicer than a polite Milanese

vCash
    I think his point about how he hopes the team event at the Olympics won't effect the individual events. For example, if one skater wins their portion in the team, but many people think another skater wuzrobbed, so they give them in an advantange in the individual.

Although I think whoever wins the dance portion in the team will likely win the individual event barring any major mistakes.

vCash
    ^^ Since skating is so political (not to mention team competition will be a new, untested discipline for the Olympics), this will be an interesting factor/ aspect of the judging to watch.

vCash
    I was interested that Massimo said Anjelika primarily does choreography, not technical training of skaters...she always struck me as one of the most versatile dancers ever, an absolute master of technique.

I will be interested to see how the "emotional" Detroit school develops...

terrific interview. so nice to see a skater express themselves well w/o one sentence of bland PR-speak

Quadless
    vCash
    Thank you, eleonorad and pingu. I have always been impressed by how thoughtful and articulate Massimo is, and this interview confirms my view. Love him.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Grazie for amazing interview! I love to see perspectives from ice dancers and recently we've had a lot of them. I'd better make a list of interview pages

Well, there was a reason for Team Detroit's thrive this season! Massimo is such a delightful, hard-working person. I wonder what the next season will prevail for him and the team Detroit.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    It's news to me that it can't be discussed. Massimo is an adult. As long as what is discussed is fact, not rumor or speculation, there is no reason his significent other can't be named. However, that kind of discussion is usually done in the Trash Can since strictly speaking it's not skating news.
    Yes, personal info about any skater has never been brought up in a Great Skate Debate thread ever before...why start now?
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Last edited by iggie; 05-09-2012 at 12:39 PM.

vCash
    Thank you, Eleonorad and pingu, for that very insightful interview!
    I found this aspect especially interesting where he talks about why there is no big coaching team that draws in high level pupils in Italy itself: "unfortunately some people are often “fighting”, instead of creating a school made by a team of coaches who are willing to go in the same direction and who build champions, because there are many talents between our athletes."

vCash
    Thank you !
    Massimo always says what he thinks !
    "unfortunately some people are often “fighting”, instead of creating a school made by a team of coaches who are willing to go in the same direction and who build champions, because there are many talents between our athletes."
    I totally agree about this !
    That's the problem we have in Italy !!
    I'm so happy and greatfull that Pasquale and Angelika opened their doors to him, it's not from everyone !
    Can't wait to see what he will built for his couples !
    Vai Massimo !!!

vCash
    Very interesting interview, thanks! I will miss seeing Massimo (and Federica) on the ice, but it's good that he is staying so involved in skating - and at least we can still see him at the boards and in the K&C . I wonder if he'll eventually follow Pasquale's lead and work on choreography for non-dancers?

Just out of curiosity, what exactly is Federica's position with the police?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what exactly is Federica's position with the police?
    She is part of the Fiamme Oro: http://www.poliziadistato.it/articolo/view/963/
    A grumpy Canadian will always be nicer than a polite Milanese

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Gold Flames sounds like a synchronised skating team.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast