vCash

wedding Party question

So 3 years ago (maybe 4) I purchased a dress for a wedding I was a bridesmaid in for 2 friends. Theyt broke up before they married and I have this dress sitting in my closet. (They were going to go with a black and red theme so the dress is black and red satin)

http://www.love-wedding-dresses.com/...uy-p-8681.html

Well he is now marrying another friend of mine and I am in their wedding. I am actually the maid of honour. I tried on the dress that I had purchased 4 years ago)to see if my friend was okay with that style of dress for me when we went bridesmaid dress shopping but she loved the dress I had on. Her wedding colour theme is tiffany blue, white, silver and black.

She wants me to take the red out and put the tiffany blue in it`s place.

Is this appropriate? I would love to wear that dress as the tiffany blue and the black would look stunning.

I don`t talk to the groom`s ex at all and the only people who know about the dress would be a couple close friends.

What do I do?
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    Go for it. If she loves it and is fine with the dress then changing the color should be worlds cheaper than buying a whole new dress.

Karma is only what you make of it. I was engaged when I was way too young (19 years old) and my grandmothers and mother had gone dress shopping and bought my gown together. Got to my senses (and got sick of his drinking) and we broke up before the wedding, and threw the dress in a closet. Now at age 35 I am going to wear that dress at my wedding in a few months. Some people would be horrified. I think of it this way, saves money and my grandmothers have since passed away. I want to wear the dress they saw and chose with me. Which wedding it was purchased for really doesn't matter.

vCash
    Wow! That is a great dress. I say go for it. I also think the tiffany blue will look better than the red.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Absolutely. Go for it! It's a beautiful dress, the bride agrees...why waste it?
    Team Peeps!

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    If she likes it, why not? Sounds ideal, and if you're worried about bad luck/karma, think of it as removing the bad luck when you take the red out.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    I do like that you've made this a sustainable option.
    Last edited by essence_of_soy; 05-06-2012 at 01:52 AM.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I think it is perfectly fine! You are changing the dress somewhat anyway.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    A dress is just a dress. Go for it! And yeah, you'll be changing it a bit anyway.

vCash
    Absolutely do it! The bride likes it, that is really what matters. It would be such a waste to not use it, and it's very pretty.

vCash
    I guess my concern in this is that I am not on good terms with the groom`s ex and she came with me when I purchased this dress.

I don`t want her to feel like I am slapping her in the face because we do have friends that talk with her still.

I do love the dress though lol
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight1 View Post
    I guess my concern in this is that I am not on good terms with the groom`s ex and she came with me when I purchased this dress.

I don`t want her to feel like I am slapping her in the face because we do have friends that talk with her still.

I do love the dress though lol
    If she has a problem with it, ask her to reimburse you for a dress you paid for, in good faith, which you never got to wear. If she pays for it she gets to have an opinion.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Would the groom's ex honestly remember that dress if you didn't tell any of your mutual friends? It WAS three (or four!) years ago, after all...

vCash
    The groom's ex is a tad on the 'crazy' side hence why they split. She remembers everything. lol!

We have an appointment tonight with a seamstress about the dresses. The tiffany blue will look so pretty, that at this point, I don't care. I like cruisin's idea of having her pay for the dress if there is an issue.

I doubt she will give me the $250 I paid out for it.

vCash
    Since they still offer that dress, how about "Oh, isn't it funny that Sheila choose the same style of dress for me to wear at her wedding." She did, you're not lying.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight1 View Post
    The groom's ex is a tad on the 'crazy' side hence why they split. She remembers everything. lol!

We have an appointment tonight with a seamstress about the dresses. The tiffany blue will look so pretty, that at this point, I don't care. I like cruisin's idea of having her pay for the dress if there is an issue.

I doubt she will give me the $250 I paid out for it.
    $250 is a lot of money to spend on a dress that you will never wear. As crazy as the ex may be, she has no right to expect you to eat that. Have the dress altered and don't worry about it. The one thing you want to make sure of, is that the expense of making the change is not ridiculous. Sometimes major alterations can be ! Also, be sure that the seamstress can match the weight and sheen of the fabric.