Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    I feed my dogs this food
    http://frommfamily.com/products/four-star/dog

My dogs love fromm. They never had any recalls so I feel safe feeding them this food.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    So, for a 2-year-old cat who has always been pretty healthy aside from a serious scare when he was 3 months old (he ate a ton of stuff out of the trash and had to have surgery to remove it), what brand should I go for that has few fillers and will be good for him? I always trusted the vet about Science Diet and now I'm a little nervous. I've been giving him the regular adult Science Diet in addition to the kind that works to clear the teeth of tartar, because he had a slight build-up at his vet appointment last year.
    If your cat is doing fine on Science Diet, why change it?

As for not giving him dry food, I think it depends on the cat. My friend has three cats, two of whom are male, and she feeds the primarily dry food with no problems.

You need to do what's best for your pet. Changing foods can cause a whole host of other problems. If he or she is fine with what his or her food, I don't see the need for changing it and possibly upsetting the pet.

vCash
    My (male) cats are on dry food only. I know that wet food is better for them and I tried to switch them when I first got them but, for god knows what reason, it made Rosie much more hysterical (wandering around the food bowls crying all the time). I couldn't tell if he was hungry or what. I increased them from 1/2 can twice a day to 3/4 and he was still hysterical so I started giving him half a can of wet food and sticking it on top of a bit of dry food. And he started eating the dry food out from under the wet food.

So I gave up.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post

So I gave up.
    As long as they're drinking water that's okay. The problem arises when they don't drink, then their hydration can only come from wet food.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    My (male) cats are on dry food only. I know that wet food is better for them and I tried to switch them when I first got them but, for god knows what reason, it made Rosie much more hysterical (wandering around the food bowls crying all the time). I couldn't tell if he was hungry or what. I increased them from 1/2 can twice a day to 3/4 and he was still hysterical so I started giving him half a can of wet food and sticking it on top of a bit of dry food. And he started eating the dry food out from under the wet food.

So I gave up.
    Cats definitely have their preferences.

My cat goes a little nuts after meals now. He runs around all hyper and meows and meows. (For him, it's more like loud meow-croaking. ) I just looked this up and apparently it means he's happy. : Beforehand, he was always lazy and since he's a big lazy cat, a bit of hyperactivity isn't bad for him.

But he definitely prefers the chicken mixture over ANYTHING now. Sometimes when I run out and don't have time to make a new batch right away, I'll give him some canned wet food and at times even watered-down dry food and he just looks at me like, "WTF lady?"

I remember one time we tried giving him ground chicken that was supposed to be pet food, at least according to Whole Foods. The label said, "Not suitable for human consumption." I put some into the bowl, he sniffed, then looked at me like, "Excuse me, this isn't suitable for Mickey consumption either!"

He is one spoiled cat.

Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    As long as they're drinking water that's okay. The problem arises when they don't drink, then their hydration can only come from wet food.
    Right. My cat just doesn't drink. The water bowl can stay at the same level for a week. He definitely gets all his water from his food, which pretty much drips, it's so wet. But he laps it up so it's working out.

vCash
    My dog gets hyper after he eats too. He want's to play, non-stop. We call it his witching hours.

vCash
    Iams was among the food that was recalled last year that was being in China and killing the cats and dogs.
    I would never feed Iams to my dog.
    I have never read any recalls or anything bad Kibbles and Bits so far so I may stick to it for now. They don't have a Senior type thought and my baby will be 10 in July.
    My vet says it doesn't matter, but, this is the same vet who just shook her head and shrugged when I ask her what is best to feed my dog so, don't know if I trust her.
    Is it really best to feed a older dog Senior food, or does it matter?

vCash
    I think the big thing alot of senior foods have is added glucosmine, msm or other joint supplements. I give my 8 and 2 year old dogs the same food, and I just add Bio Joint powder myself to the older ones food.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Right. My cat just doesn't drink. The water bowl can stay at the same level for a week. He definitely gets all his water from his food, which pretty much drips, it's so wet. But he laps it up so it's working out.
    A week? Maybe fresher water would help - I change the bowl for our two cats three times a day, or even more if I notice that it looks like there's anything in it (one of them tends to toss dry food around, and they sometimes land in the water bowl).

Quadless
    vCash
    You could also try one of those fountains. I've had cats that would only drink moving water. But at a minimum, a static bowl of water should be changed daily.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KikiSashaFan View Post
    I think the big thing alot of senior foods have is added glucosmine, msm or other joint supplements. I give my 8 and 2 year old dogs the same food, and I just add Bio Joint powder myself to the older ones food.
    They also have less calories and more fiber. Dogs get more sedentary as the age, so their caloric and fiber needs change. If your dog is still active, is at a healthy weight, and doesn't seem to have any joint problems, adult food is fine.

vCash
    We fed our dog Iams for years, but recently had to switch to Hill's Prescription Diet due to his increasingly sensitive GI tract. He gets canned and dry food mixed together, moistened with some chicken stock. He also gets a glucosamine supplement and is in pretty good shape. My mom refuses to use Rimadyl after it killed our first dog. The vet insisted it would help with arthritis, and instead his liver failed. There was a news release a couple of years later that confirmed Rimadyl had that little side effect.
    I'm glad we switched though, especially after reading about the controversies surrounding Iams and their terrible treatment of animals. I saw a video somewhere too, but I had to stop watching after 15 seconds because I was on the verge of tears. I can't stand animal cruelty.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scintillation View Post
    We fed our dog Iams for years, but recently had to switch to Hill's Prescription Diet due to his increasingly sensitive GI tract. He gets canned and dry food mixed together, moistened with some chicken stock. He also gets a glucosamine supplement and is in pretty good shape. My mom refuses to use Rimadyl after it killed our first dog. The vet insisted it would help with arthritis, and instead his liver failed. There was a news release a couple of years later that confirmed Rimadyl had that little side effect.
    I'm glad we switched though, especially after reading about the controversies surrounding Iams and their terrible treatment of animals. I saw a video somewhere too, but I had to stop watching after 15 seconds because I was on the verge of tears. I can't stand animal cruelty.
    If you have any problems with the Hill's Prescription Diet (or it's very $$$). Nutro makes a chicken and oatmeal formula for sensitive stomachs. My dog did/does very well on it. The oatmeal is soothing and easier to digest.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KikiSashaFan View Post
    Yeah when our first dog got old, my mom would give him glucosamine in powdered form in his food, and painkillers later on too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    A week? Maybe fresher water would help - I change the bowl for our two cats three times a day, or even more if I notice that it looks like there's anything in it (one of them tends to toss dry food around, and they sometimes land in the water bowl).
    Okay, it's a week now since he's been on the wet food for a while. He drank more when he was on the dry food, but obviously not enough.

I definitely change the water out more often, but I also don't put too much water in anymore, cause it isn't gonna get drank anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Latte View Post
    Iams was among the food that was recalled last year that was being in China and killing the cats and dogs.
    It was? I feed my 2 cats Iams, among other foods. They also eat the TD food periodically and it has worked great in keeping their teeth clean. Callie is 9 now and has no tartar at all. Leo is 5 but had tartar prior to starting this food.

I give them canned food periodically as a treat. Callie loves it but Leo acts like he is afraid of it. So Callie eats her, and then eats his. And I end up giving Leo a bit of dry food since I feel sorry for him. Leo also does not eat any of the treats I give them occasionally. Callie will eat the treats out of my hand. Silly boy, Leo. Fortunately he does drink water, and he needs to lose weight anyway.

vCash
    not for the same reason but another brand in a limited recall:

Nestlé Purina Voluntarily Recalls Single Lot of Only cans with the following “Best By” date and production code shown are included in this voluntary recall:

Product Name
    Purina Veterinary Diets® OM
    (Overweight Management) Feline Formula

Can Size
    5.5 oz

“Best By” Date & Production Code*
    JUN 2013 11721159

Can UPC Code
    38100 - 13810

*“Best By” Date and Production Code are found on the bottom of the can.

Cats fed this affected lot exclusively for several weeks may be at risk for developing a thiamine deficiency. Thiamine is essential for cats. Symptoms of deficiency displayed by an affected cat can be gastrointestinal or neurological in nature. Early signs of thiamine deficiency may include decreased appetite, salivation, vomiting and weight loss. In advanced cases, neurological signs can develop, which may include ventriflexion (bending towards the floor) of the neck, wobbly walking, falling, circling and seizures. Contact your veterinarian immediately if your cat is displaying any of these signs. If treated promptly, thiamine deficiency is typically reversible.

This product was distributed to veterinary clinics between June, 2011 and May, 2012 throughout the U.S. and Canada. The product is not sold in retail stores.

No additional Purina cat or dog products are involved in this voluntary recall. No other Purina Veterinary Diets® products are involved, and only Purina Veterinary Diets® OM canned cat food which match the “Best By” dates and production code above are included in this recall.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    They also have less calories and more fiber. Dogs get more sedentary as the age, so their caloric and fiber needs change. If your dog is still active, is at a healthy weight, and doesn't seem to have any joint problems, adult food is fine.
    Yes, she is still as active as ever. And as a normal Poodle, she is slim.
    She also jumps like a cat, so, no joint problems yet. Knock on wood!

Drawing Figures
    vCash
    My old girl loved those chicken wrapped sweet potato treats. I bought them for her for at least a year before I realized they were made in China & stopped buying them. They have them at our local pet store made in the USA but they cost twice as much so she only gets some once in awhile now. Same for the chicken jerky. It's less expensive to buy a pack of the organic chicken at the grocery & cook it for all the pets than one bag of the chicken jerky.

My oldest dog has been eating the Blue Buffalo for years. Still not tired of it & she always has a nice coat & plenty of energy. I've been checking out that Blue Buffalo cat litter (eco-friendly made from walnuts??) but it costs even more than the World's Best Cat Litter (corn), so I can't bring myself to splurge on it quite yet.

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artistic Skaters View Post
    I've been checking out that Blue Buffalo cat litter (eco-friendly made from walnuts??) but it costs even more than the World's Best Cat Litter (corn), so I can't bring myself to splurge on it quite yet.
    I tried it (PetCo had it on sale and the packages each had a $3 coupon on them). Loved the concept but I'm back to clay as one of my cats rejected it (he's very fussy). Overall, I'd say it was pretty good with odor (both in terms of its natural scent, which was much nicer than the corn litters, and also its odor-absorbing properties) but I found that it doesn't clump quite as well as regular litter.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    May 18, 2012

Diamond Naturals Small Breed Adult Dog Lamb & Rice Formula samples, 6 pound and 18 pound bag sizes, manufactured on Aug. 26, 2011, have been added to the limited voluntary recall, due to potential exposure to Salmonella. No illnesses have been reported.

The product was distributed in the following states, further distribution through other pet food channels may have occurred:

· Colorado
    · Illinois
    · Kentucky
    · Louisiana
    · Michigan
    · Minnesota
    · Missouri
    · Oklahoma
    · Pennsylvania
    · South Dakota
    · Tennessee
    · Texas
    · Wisconsin
    Production Code & Best Before Dates:

DSL0801, 26-Aug-2012

DSL0801, 26-Aug-2012

DSL0801, 27-Sept- 2012 (Product manufactured on Aug. 26, 2011 and packaged on Sept. 27, 2011)

DSL0801, 18-Oct- 2012 (Product manufactured on Aug. 26, 2011 and packaged on Oct. 18, 2011)

DSL0801, (Samples)

Pet owners who are unsure if the product they purchased is included in the recall, or who would like replacement product or a refund, may contact Diamond Pet Foods via a toll free call at 1-866-918-8756, Monday through Sunday, 8 am – 6pm EST.

Diamond Pet Foods apologizes for any issues this may have caused pet owners and their pets.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast