Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Latte View Post
    My vet isn't any help, everytime I ask her what is best to feed my pup, she just shrugs, which ticks me off no end.
    Get a new vet.

vCash
    It's frustrating. We've gone to great lengths to avoid 'junky' pet food (especially anything with "by-products" on the label), and Chicken Soup and Taste of the Wild are both great foods. . . and they're on the list It dismays me to think that alllllllll those brands of pet food come from the same company. Ick.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    We can hardly tell where our OWN food is coming from or what's been done to it--how can we trust food for pets? I say that half jokingly, but at the same time, I feed my dogs raw. Lots of great information out there on both sides of the argument, certainly enough to make an informed decision. I have 2 Newfs, one six, one two. Bones, coat, skin, teeth, overall health excellent.
    Dogs have been domesticated for over 12,000 years; commercial pet food has been around since @1860?

vCash

updated pet food recall info

Some brands of Solid Gold dog food were recalled today. Check the truth about pet food website for details.

vCash
    I used to feed my dogs Orajin (sp?) which is really good food, but it turns out one of my dogs is allergic to chicken and one to fish and each variety has chicken or fish in it. Now I feed them a mix of Natural Balance venison and sweet potato and the vegetarian one. They're both 100lb+ dogs and to feed them both the venison one only was costing a fortune and the vegetarian is basically everything the Orajin one has minus the chicken but I can't bring myself to feed them just vegetarian food. That just doesn't seem right. Luckily none of the bags I have are so far affected by the recall.

vCash
    I just finished switching my two beagles from Orejin to Blue Wilderness. Orejin just got crazy expensive. Blue Wilderness consistently gets great reviews and my dogs do great w/the high protein.

vCash
    Every vet I've been to and most guides I've seen have said that Science Diet is the best overall brand. That's all I feed my cat. I was surprised to see no one uses them - am I missing something?

vCash
    Science Diet, Eukanuba, and Iams were the first high end dog foods. And they are all good. Some are better with different formulations. For instance: Science Diet might have a better Senior formulation, Eukanuba might have a better Adult formulation. I had my Cavalier on a veterinary line of Eukanuba, it gave him some digestive problems. I switched to the Nutra chicken and oatmeal, to get him off of wheat products. He did better on that. A few months ago I switched to Precise Holistic, to try and firm up his bowel movements. He was needing to have his anal glands expressed at least once a month. He is able to go 3 months on this, so it is helping. A lot of the reason to choose different brands is ingredients, allergies, gastro intolerances. Some brands just work better with one dog/cat, and others work better with other dogs/cats. My vet like the Precise very much, said it was an excellent food.

vCash
    http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

outside of the recalls that come up, this is generally a good analysis

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    Every vet I've been to and most guides I've seen have said that Science Diet is the best overall brand. That's all I feed my cat. I was surprised to see no one uses them - am I missing something?

Science Diet uses by products in a lot of their foods which can cause seizures and other problems.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Our last dog was allergic to corn and ScienceDiet used corn as a filler. So...no, no ScienceDiet for us.

vCash
    I've only heard bad things about Science Diet and the only reason vets push it is because they get paid to. Dogs should not have corn in their diet, it's really hard for them to digest.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    that's because Science Diet pays the vets to sell it. Most vets don't know squat about nutrition just like most people doctors don't. They are considered on a par with grocery store brands.

I feed mine Nutro Plus alternated with TOTW high prairie or bison. They won't eat the salmon type and the high prairie gives the gas. I can't figure out why venison does and bison doesn't. Hmmm... Since one of the was diagnosed with IMHA, I wanted to avoid grains due to corn allergies. They do very well on both and only eat 3 cups of feed a day. I've considered a raw diet, but you've really got to pay attention and make certain they get the supplements for the missing amino acids. Getting a scoop out of the container twice a day is a lot easier. They get raw bones to chew so that's something. I never let mine have rawhide chews.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

vCash
    Every brand of pet food is the same nutritionally, because there are national guidelines they have to follow. The difference is quality of ingredients and filler, or lack thereof. That's the part that takes experimenting, to see how your pet responds to it.

I feed my cat raw (having a meat grinder would be easier but half-freezing the chicken thighs and cutting it that way isn't bad) and he seems to be happier. Bonus is that his poop doesn't smell at all. It smelled HORRID on dry food, and even Whole Foods brand wet food.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    I hope you're finding a way to get taurine into his diet, Anita. Absolutely essential for cats.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    I hope you're finding a way to get taurine into his diet, Anita. Absolutely essential for cats.
    Crystal form. They sell that!

He's been on the diet for a number of months now, I'm pretty sure he'd be dead if I wasn't putting taurine in there.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    He's been on the diet for a number of months now, I'm pretty sure he'd be dead if I wasn't putting taurine in there.
    Yep. Or blind.
    Last edited by milanessa; 05-10-2012 at 12:42 AM.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I never let mine have rawhide chews.
    One of the worst things you can give your dog. Second, only, to rope toys. Dogs should never have either of those things un monitored. Both can cause strings to get caught in their intestines. I don't know why they even sell that stuff. Lots of people let their dogs eat rawhide. They should only be allowed to chew on it until it gets soft, then take it away. I, like you, just do not give them to my dog.

And be careful with Milkbone treats. Someone gave my dog one meant for a large dog. I never give my dog treats. And this person gave it to him while i was not in the room. My dog ate it up. This person told me afterward that he gave it to my dog. My dog was throwing up blood, the next day. The vet told me there is too much fat in Milkbones and that they are not good for dogs.

vCash
    So, for a 2-year-old cat who has always been pretty healthy aside from a serious scare when he was 3 months old (he ate a ton of stuff out of the trash and had to have surgery to remove it), what brand should I go for that has few fillers and will be good for him? I always trusted the vet about Science Diet and now I'm a little nervous. I've been giving him the regular adult Science Diet in addition to the kind that works to clear the teeth of tartar, because he had a slight build-up at his vet appointment last year.

vCash
    So, for a 2-year-old cat who has always been pretty healthy aside from a serious scare when he was 3 months old (he ate a ton of stuff out of the trash and had to have surgery to remove it), what brand should I go for that has few fillers and will be good for him? I always trusted the vet about Science Diet and now I'm a little nervous. I've been giving him the regular adult Science Diet in addition to the kind that works to clear the teeth of tartar, because he had a slight build-up at his vet appointment last year.
    Depends on your cat, but I wouldn't give a male cat dry food. My cat lived on dry food as far as I knew (we got him from a friend of a friend who couldn't keep him), but he had a UTI scare earlier this year - was peeing outside the litter box and the vet only found "a few red blood cells" in his urine when I took him in, twice. And the second time, he didn't have any urine in his bladder so they kept him for another 4 hours and periodically poked him with needles to see if he had any pee to test. Poor cat!

Many cats don't drink enough water, and male cats especially need to be clearing out their bladder often so they don't get a blockage. Once a male cat gets a blockage, it's very dire and they can die in a day or two. Not to make you panic of course, but it's definitely something to be aware of if your cat pees outside the litter box and starts getting a fever and stops eating. If that happens, don't wait a single second to get him to a vet!

Worrying about UTIs during that time was really stressful, so I said "Feck it, I'm only giving him wet food." Which eventually led to me making his food because I felt buying a can of wet food every day was a damn waste of packaging.

Even wetting his dry food is probably better than nothing, IMO. But I felt he needed to be getting even more water than that so I just give him wet food. I put so much water in his food it's not even funny.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast