Page 40 of 51 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Michael Johnson is listed on partner search. He should still be jr eligible this year

vCash
    Lianna Thomas is listed on IPS she skated with David Botero in Novice pairs they came in 10th at US Nationals and were with Jenni Meno and Todd Sand WOW so many pairs splitting up so crazy
    Last edited by Sunshine2; 02-05-2013 at 05:38 AM.

vCash
    Eh, not really so crazy. It'd be crazy if US Pairs weren't splitting up between now and April.

Seems like lately the going rate is at least 33% of the teams will split/retire/injure-out-a-season... more like 50% lately.

In the Novice through Senior levels… only 18 pairs out of the 36 in 2012 returned to the 2013 U.S. National Championships.

It'll be crazy when 75% or more of the teams return the next season. (Hey, we can dream, right?).

vCash
    I've been meaning to ask everyone for their opinion on this -

Do you think that C/S and even S/K will eventually pass D/C? If so, could it be by next season?

I personally think that unless D/C take a completely different approach towards their packaging and PCS, they are a pair that won't go much beyond 180 pt. totals. I don't think Dalilah will do that for them. Whereas C/S and S/K have (will have) bigger score potential. C/S are faster and more musical. They are also getting biggish marks for relatively simpler jumping passes and throw jumps. S/K are not necessarily musical right now, but the way they move across the ice show that they have big potential (oops, just jinxed them!)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post

Do you think that C/S and even S/K will eventually pass D/C? If so, could it be by next season?

I personally think that unless D/C take a completely different approach towards their packaging and PCS, they are a pair that won't go much beyond 180 pt. totals. I don't think Dalilah will do that for them. Whereas C/S and S/K have (will have) bigger score potential. C/S are faster and more musical. They are also getting biggish marks for relatively simpler jumping passes and throw jumps. S/K are not necessarily musical right now, but the way they move across the ice show that they have big potential (oops, just jinxed them!)
    We were talking about that at Nationals, while sitting in the stands that we thought that Denney & Coughlin would have trouble staying ahead of a couple of teams in the coming seasons, most likely their training mates Scimeca & Knierim. I don't know if C&S and S&K will pass them next season but its not out of the question.

vCash
    I think that Denney/Coughlin are not given enough credit for competing well and consistently under pressure so far in their 1.5 seasons together. I'm glad Castelli/Shnapir, Scimeca/Knierim, and Zhang/Bartholomay are all getting Four Continents experience this week - only C/S has been to 4CC before and that was back in 2010 when they placed 10th.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post

I think S/K will eventually pass C/S and D/C (if those two teams stick around after Sochi). S/K have so much potential for being only in their first season together. C/S are quite good but they still kind of look awkward together, plus making silly errors like Simon's error on the side-by-side spins in the FS at Nats.

vCash
    U.S. usually only makes it up to a top 5 finish, and feels good to get that. I feel better about the potential of teams coming up now.

vCash
    Did someone withdraw from Challenge Cup? I just saw that Leng/LeDuc will be going, and I'm wondering if the person who passed it on got that right.

vCash
    The Challenge Cup roster was updated today (Feb. 5) and Leng/LeDuc are listed as "Accepted" now (L/L and the POL pair both were listed as substitutes yesterday and their status was changed today). However, the Team USA entries are not considered official until they are listed on USFS' International Assignments page, and Challenge Cup has not been added there yet.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    C/S are quite good but they still kind of look awkward together
    I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who feels that way. The massive height gap seems awkward to me (and it's distracting).

This is coming from someone who generally loves pairs teams with a fairly big height gap.

They're a good pairs team, but I just can't seem to get into their skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I think that Denney/Coughlin are not given enough credit for competing well and consistently under pressure so far in their 1.5 seasons together.
    They definitely deserve credit for their consistency. I just think though that they have hit a ceiling and won't go above that (and possibly get passed) unless they repackage
    Last edited by olympic; 02-05-2013 at 11:35 PM.

vCash
    IMO D/C are the most consistent team in the world. Sadly, that means we know where their ceiling is (No way they can get higher than 6th at Worlds). Unless they somehow completely restyle their PCS or add some new tricks, they're stuck where they are.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by johndockley92 View Post
    IMO D/C are the most consistent team in the world. Sadly, that means we know where their ceiling is (No way they can get higher than 6th at Worlds). Unless they somehow completely restyle their PCS or add some new tricks, they're stuck where they are.
    Yeah, they are the most consistent team in the world. Maybe if they keep going after Sochi, they'll move up higher in the world due to others' retirements. I still think S/K will eventually pass them in their own country though, I'm just not sure exactly when. That is of course contingent on S/K staying together, and it's US Pairs so that's not a guarantee..

vCash
    Yeah, they are the most consistent team in the world. Maybe if they keep going after Sochi, they'll move up higher in the world due to others' retirements. I still think S/K will eventually pass them in their own country though, I'm just not sure exactly when. That is of course contingent on S/K staying together, and it's US Pairs so that's not a guarantee..
    S/K are dating. Not sure if that makes it more or less likely for them to stay together.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by johndockley92 View Post
    S/K are dating. Not sure if that makes it more or less likely for them to stay together.
    Yeah, I think this makes them very unlikely to stay together long-term.

vCash
    I think S/K will eventually pass C/S and D/C (if those two teams stick around after Sochi). S/K have so much potential for being only in their first season together. C/S are quite good but they still kind of look awkward together, plus making silly errors like Simon's error on the side-by-side spins in the FS at Nats.
    Yeah but ice is slippery and stuff like that can happen. The key is in being able to get back on track and stick the rest of your program, which C/S did. Plus C/S currently have the most longevity together as a U.S. team which is important. (Anyways, Simon has a great sense of humor about what happened and he and Marissa are probably learning from it and moving forward). I think C/S have a great mindset and I like them a lot. All of these teams are young and the sky is the limit.

All of the U.S. teams still have a lot to work on. In fact, even veterans must never stop improving. I think Savchenko/ Szolkowy and also Davis/ White in ice dance are examples of how great established teams continue to raise the bar and challenge themselves to get better.

ITA that S/K have a lovely look together on the ice. It probably doesn't hurt that they are a couple off-ice, re how quickly they have melded.* They too had mistakes (not in fp but in their sp) and still received strong scores from the judges, so it was nice to see them do a better job in the fp.

Kudos to U.S. pairs!

* As I post this, I see others are speculating that because they're dating that S/K might have problems long-term. Why stress the negative? So far, they seem to have a great relationship on and off the ice. I wish them well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Yeah, I think this makes them very unlikely to stay together long-term.
    I think this is interesting because D/C were dating and now they are not but still together? hmm...and there are many many examples of successful teams that have dated, broken up. married, divorced and some in relationships where they had children...especially championship levels and athletes this age... why? I think that is how Meno and Sand got together...they were dating and wanted to skate pairs together and that seemed to turn out ok...although you can choose your skating partner sometimes you can't choose who you fall in love with...why again? I think it is because the team is successful and it is their profession...personal and professional. Is it easy? I am guessing not. If I skated pairs with my husband we may be divorced...or certainly I would not want to have a sharp blade nearby at certain times...but these are elite athletes...who have dedicated everything they have for this..I doubt that if a relationship did not work it would affect anything if the team is successful if it was a team that never made nationals or was always last or did not work hard or had a rich family that did not sacrifice anything I believe that you may be right...but after seeing Americans', Chinese, Russians, and Canadian's go through break ups and still skate together respectful of each other you are incorrect on this one...there are NO givens for anyone.
    Anyone can break-up for any reason...but hey...a success in this crazy business of Figure skating at Championship level and doing it successfully? with so much potential...well they have just as good a shot as D/C who have dated and broken up as many other successful teams have stayed together gotten married and have kids.....so hey? who knows...what will happen...do we even know if teams that are NOT dating stay together anymore than teams that are dating?? I don't think so ..I believe teams that are so invested in each other and are successful and don't end up together actually have a better chance of longterm hope..because they albeit not together??? do care deeply about a person..and are still committed professionally to their dreams.....wishing all the teams the best whether dating or not? just focus on your professional goal and enjoy your personal life...these athletes sacrifice everything...they deserve all the happiness they find! or that finds them...whichever ....so I feel good about getting behind them because I feel like there is a longterm potential...I feel that with the top three pairs from Nats...and with D/C too given they broke up and are still together...I have not felt this positive about pairs in a very long time..it feels great! and it's not even an Olympic year yet?

vCash
    I seem to remember a dance team that was married I think they won the Olympics at one point..or were successful Internationally...and then the lady had an affair with another dancer and they divorced she married the other one and they still stayed together??? I just think the dreams and focus on success and the bigger picture and respect come into play but man that was crazy!! Then of course stories like Meno and Sand (their kids are so precious) and G& G as well as others...this is an interesting section to pairs though..given they are older in Championship pairs....I just hope with the teams at Nationals that have such potential..stay together through good and bad times and care enough about each other and respect each other enough to do that it's time for US Pairs to come surging through!! and after Omaha...it may happen for the US yet.

vCash
    lI think that the US has several enjoyable pair teams, each with different strengths and weaknesses, including Denney/Coughlin. Denney is still only 19 and can certainly continue to develop in artistry and presentation.

Page 40 of 51 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast