Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Cooper View Post
    I agree most of the above. Most of the US pair teams have sbs jump issues. Why is it that their pair coaches fail to see this as a fatal flaw in these teams.
    What you train is what you get. Few of the U.S. pair teams do singles training in addition to pair training. When my daughter trained pairs in Colorado Springs, she was one of the only skaters who did a 45-min singles session and lesson with a singles coach every day. Most of the pair skaters did pair sessions only, focusing on pair elements and programs. In fact, very few of the pair skaters there had passed a senior singles freeskate test, partly because they don't skate singles anymore and partly because they don't see any value in doing so.

If a skater does not begin skating pairs with a mastery of all double jumps and preferably a few triples, it is unlikely that the skater will develop them while doing pair skating. I'm not sure how skaters in other countries develop their triples, but they must be doing singles training in addition to their pair training.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Cooper View Post
    Most of the US pair teams have sbs jump issues. Why is it that their pair coaches fail to see this as a fatal flaw in these teams.
    <snip> ...
    Get Christy Krall to come in and do DartFish with these teams on their jumps.
    A pair coach has done this, in fact: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

Caydee Denney/John Coughlin debuted their new programs in exhibition at the Colorado Championships in early August - no other details besides the fact that they scored 172.16 total.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by madm View Post
    What you train is what you get. Few of the U.S. pair teams do singles training in addition to pair training.
    If a skater does not begin skating pairs with a mastery of all double jumps and preferably a few triples, it is unlikely that the skater will develop them while doing pair skating. I'm not sure how skaters in other countries develop their triples, but they must be doing singles training in addition to their pair training.
    At pair centres in Canada pair teams indeed are required to do singles ice as well as their pair session work. My son successfully tested his Sr. Competitive singles while working and competing as a Jr. Pair. His heart was definitely as a pair guy but he competed a couple of smaller events as a Sr. Man. And for the record, he also has his Gold Dances and was able to supplement his training expenses by partnering dance tests! Every little bit helps!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    A pair coach has done this, in fact: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

Caydee Denney/John Coughlin debuted their new programs in exhibition at the Colorado Championships in early August - no other details besides the fact that they scored 172.16 total.
    Well, good for them. I really hope they are working on their line and extensions. PCS is their Achilles heel (biggest gap in pts.) when competing against the top teams. It would be nice to see them bump up a level or so on non-jump elements, too, although that wouldn't necessarily add up to a treasure trove of points. This may come with time as they get more and more used to one another on the ice

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by madm View Post
    What you train is what you get. Few of the U.S. pair teams do singles training in addition to pair training. When my daughter trained pairs in Colorado Springs, she was one of the only skaters who did a 45-min singles session and lesson with a singles coach every day. Most of the pair skaters did pair sessions only, focusing on pair elements and programs. In fact, very few of the pair skaters there had passed a senior singles freeskate test, partly because they don't skate singles anymore and partly because they don't see any value in doing so.

Part of the problem is just nerves with all other huge pair elements not just singles skating.

Another issue especially with boys in pairs is when they start and are Novice the girl they skate with has a consistent double lutz some boys can do triple lutz and have competed singles with triples but are held back in jumping for clean programs at low levels and that is what pairs usually do sometimes for years. The girls can also train singles session at a young age although this rarely gives a consistent triple even with all the extra money spent which is another issue. Gaining a mastery over strong pair elements is huge! and takes tons of training time and focus to be sure but when I see a team that can jump consistently and can't hold the girl and I am holding my breath when they lift, throw, or twist I hate that. All things take time and balance...more senior competitions with higher level jumps and not forced to to doubles in lower novice and junior competition we will see more consistency it is very very simple.

Most of the older boys in pairs (senior) almost all of them...are not supported by their parents, work, and go to school, they do not have a country that pays for everything including living arrangements, extra lessons, and all expenses. I have seen this money and extra tons of single sessions not help some younger pair girls gain consistent triple throws, and consistent high level jumps. So it is about time and years being able to compete them not just train them.

Pairs have a harder time mainly not in training I have seen most of the teams land all jumps in training it is mostly mental and experience in senior from what I can see. They can also be affected by their partners/self nerves...this all usually calms down after about year three (hence the teams staying together issue) OR...pairs that have each been in senior pairs for at least 5 years even with other partners have more consistent higher level jumps because they do them in competition over and over...the teams with trouble are teams moving up to senior that in junior and novice only had to do double flip, or up to double axel.

Pairs is very very taxing on the body for the girls and guys. Training a single session more than once a day can have an effect there needs to be a balance. Most teams and coaches especially the successful ones are not stupid. They train jumps the same way they train a consistent triple twist. if you are totally supported financially and your parents pay for everything...and you don't go to school college, or work this probably helps this no doubt but that is unrealistic for someone over 20 years old in real life.

So I prefer to see pairs continue to work on singles as they do in their program training all the elements... all dedicate time to it but as they stay in senior over 5 years we will see more consistency barring nerves and combining high pair elements, throw triples, triple or quad twists, and alike do find a hard balance with jumps and spins...for pairs I prefer to see safe and strong pair elements...as pairs do triples in their program for everyday training it becomes more consistent...! As they don't have to go back and do doubles cause the girl or partner cannot do a consistent or clean jump no matter how many singles sessions are skated...things will improve.

This does have an effect.

More competition in senior and gaining mastery over nerves and balance of program it will get better. Although that said let's remember it is ice and a pair blowing a jump on their own (such as Rockne and MB did their first nationals happens especially with new partnerships in senior) and not dropping a lift...well we all know ice is slippery it happens...the jumps or spins usually go when it is just them....

I believe a team feels the nerves mostly then...it takes time like I said years doing the higher level elements in program to gain mastery over self...when they are responsible for holding a lift or a pair element they are dependent on each other and I find it positive those are usually strong by senior....I find a huge frustration when a team goes out and lands all their single elements and cannot do a pair element to save their lives..plus my heart can't take it!! So listen in a perfect world we'd have everything more appropriately the pairs skater who dedicates hours and hours would have everything but it takes time, focus, and time..

Although I am sure there are many especially higher level pair guys/gals who are working and going to school that would love to live with free financial worries and so would their families who homes are mortgaged and other siblings that hugely sacrifice too...not do that so anyone complaining should instead be finding a pair guy or girl to financial help support that don't have incredibly rich parents...so stop complaining and help...the time issue and development in senior pairs for at least 5 years cannot be speeded up and mistakes happen and it is part of the learning process we can't take that away but the financial part even one extra single session a week plus lesson is about 50 dollars a week x 4 is 200 a month so find a team you like and offer to pay for that one single session...it would help! OR SUPPORT THE MEMORIAL FUND!

It is fine to discuss it but please do not take away from the skaters out there finding a balance at 21 and up between life in the real world and trying to go after their dreams....AND

The coaches know what they are doing they do not want a pair who is exhausted form singles training to drop a level 4/5 lift and injury has to be considered so there is balance there...we may think catching a clean triple twist is easy and should not be a big deal but put that in senior long with three high level lifts and all huge pair elements...and then when it is just you and a jump or spin that is the first to go I believe cause everything catches up..so balance training more time more time more time...it comes together...other countries have the same issues except the ones in senior for like 10 years so....

DO not forget or dismiss...that they are training singles on their 4 pair sessions daily....6 days a week...where they work with spin, jump, and choreography coaches as well as their pair coach(s).with their partner which is what they should do... but like I said more time doing triples in program with a partner that is doing the same to gain consistency and combining those with very very strong pair elements and teams staying together will all help and also I am sure they would appreciate any donations to help so check that out and or support the memorial fund! WHEW...
    Last edited by oldskoolsk8tr; 08-17-2012 at 03:30 PM.

vCash
    The Cranberry Open was this weekend, I think? Any one of note skate?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    I know that Shaughnessy/Morgan skated. Not sure on what their points were, but they didn't have any competitors.

vCash
    Castelli/Shnapir and Donlan/Speroff both competed. I heard that Castelli/Shnapir skated well in both programs (~56 in SP, 100+ in FS) but that's all I know at the moment.

Taylor Toth tweeted that Kiri Baga is taking her Senior Pair test today.

ETA: Kiri tweeted that she passed.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-19-2012 at 07:59 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Castelli/Shnapir and Donlan/Speroff both competed. I heard that Castelli/Shnapir skated well in both programs (~56 in SP, 100+ in FS) but that's all I know at the moment.

Taylor Toth tweeted that Kiri Baga is taking her Senior Pair test today.
    ^Thanks, Sylvia (and Johndockley92). It's heartening that C/S skated well. Marks like that imply that they were relatively clean (?). but, more interested to hear if there was any improvement for D/S from Indy Challenge

vCash
    Summary of pairs news and quotes from Champs Camp (Yankowskas/Reagan, Donlan/Speroff, Castelli/Shnapir, Denney/Coughlin, Vise/Baldwin, Davis/Ladwig): http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

vCash
    Summary of pairs news and quotes from Champs Camp (Yankowskas/Reagan, Donlan/Speroff, Castelli/Shnapir, Denney/Coughlin, Vise/Baldwin, Davis/Ladwig): http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Thanks, Sylvia

I'm a little worried about Y/R. They seem to be a bit behind; a new pair deciding to redo their program. but, maybe they are keeping expectations low this season?

D/S - The focus on FW is OK, but ... I'd be a little happier if she said something to the effect of 'I'm focusing on my jumps and I'm much more consistent'

Now D/C -
    "If you look at some of our big events last season, we were at the top, or near the top, in technical elements," Coughlin, 26, said. "Our program components (PCS) have to match or near match that. Thankfully, we picked music we enjoy skating to so much, it makes the hard work we are doing on our components easier."
    The first step is admitting you have a problem

vCash
    I'm worried Y/R are going to be a mess at their Grand Prix events...

vCash
    Whee, side-by-side inside axels as transitions from Oltmanns/Santillan at 1:02 in their short program in Lake Placid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iczle...00&playnext=13

vCash
    ^^^ gkelly you should cross-post in the Lake Placid JGP thread in Kiss and Cry.

I'm a little worried about Y/R. They seem to be a bit behind; a new pair deciding to redo their program. but, maybe they are keeping expectations low this season?
    Quote from Joshua Reagan in the Champs Camp article:
    "Johnny [Johns], Marina [Zoueva] and David [Kirby] started us slow," Reagan said. "For [the first] month or month and a half, it was really just getting in shape. Obviously, we want to be successful this year, but next year is when we want to have our biggest splash, even if it means not doing as much right now [in order to be] better later on."

ETA that Vise/Baldwin (who have been added as the 3rd US pair for the Salt Lake Senior B in mid-September) skated their SP in exhibition at the Golden West club competition earlier today. I heard they scored 49.28, got Level 4 on their lift, sbs spin, and footwork, and landed sbs 3T, with hands down on the throw 3Lz. See the TV Alerts forum (or the Golden West competition thread in Kiss and Cry) for a live video stream link for Saturday's FS.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-01-2012 at 05:05 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I'm worried Y/R are going to be a mess at their Grand Prix events...
    Ha- imagine how USFSA feels with Y/R and D/L having two each...pass the tums...:

vCash
    With the departure of M/B and the Summer events now finished, I see the new partnerships making a big statement this season...I also don't feel team Boston is a lock for Sochi or 2013 Worlds unless they actually earn it....politiks aside

vCash
    team Boston?

vCash
    ^^ Perhaps carriemarie is referring to the fact that Boston is where two of the top U.S. pairs teams train: Castelli/Schnapir and Donlan/Speroff.

vCash
    Glad to hear that V/B had a better outing at Golden West w/ their SP.

I'm really hoping for an assignment for S/K.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    ^^ Perhaps carriemarie is referring to the fact that Boston is where two of the top U.S. pairs teams train: Castelli/Schnapir and Donlan/Speroff.
    Exactly. Sorry if that was unclear. They are on paper the top US teams under D/C. I am just not convinced they will automatically be in the top 2 or in Sochi. Pairs field is wide open and some of the new pairings look promising like S/K and second year team Z/B.

Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast