Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

vCash
    I'm pretty sure USFS will be monitoring Scimeca/Knierim's competition readiness for Worlds while Zhang/Bartholomay will continue to train as the first alternates just in case they are needed.

Quote Originally Posted by jdonavan View Post
    Both Americans Smoked the Chinese at 4 CC's this year...
    Pang/Tong weren't at 4CC - they may be old and dealing with injuries but I wouldn't count them out at Worlds.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I bet she would look better in the hospital gown in the tweeted photos.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash

Yes all three teams are great, but I am skeptical of this injury that Alexa has recovered from in a matter of 1 week. Just my opinion.
    What was the injury exactly...does anyone know?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    I bet she would look better in the hospital gown in the tweeted photos.

vCash
    [QUOTE=jdonavan;3842100]Check the long scores for S/K. Z/B still have them there in front of an International panel (4 points higher in the Seasons best score.) S/K received a 54. in the short at NHK. but a 59.01 at NIce which they won...they also have a LOOK the International judges LOVe...but frankly sometimes I don't know what I am looking at or what judges Internationally and locally are looking for I always seem behind the 8 ball every time??

Didn't S/k have a "Performing their short program to "Moonlight Sonata," Scimeca and Knierim skated to 59.01 in short and won Nice beating some Russian champions?" Also the artistic mark is pretty crucial and that is where they have a HUGE potential so being honest I like Z/B but they have no were to go artistically other than were they are now......they are nice but do not and will never have the lines that is a potential for S/K... or C/S I like them too but their line is limited...it is more than Technical obviously we need a team that has the potential to do both and beat INternational teams..also their twist is amazing...and not sure any other American team has that potential...to compete there with artistry and technical to the level they possibly could.....
    They earned their scores and with a 119..ish for the Freeskate it is not shabby...I think they were a point lower than Z/B in the short and actually gained a two point lead to score that 119 in the fs a point higher than Z/B so honestly they earned it...they can improve so much I would hope after only a few months together...were Z/B are where they are for being together two years...I do like Z/B's spunk though but it would be so nice to have a team that had more of an all round focus artistry and technical ability...so excited to see where they go..sad for D/C though

I agree with the other poster that Nats next year is going to be very exciting and who knows?? Lot's of teams brought their best skates at Nationals! Yea US Pairs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sedge View Post
    What was the injury exactly...does anyone know?
    "This"also would love to know was it a tweak ? Anyway wish them luck and glad Z/B are training and ready...

vCash
    Ugh. Frustrating for Z&B. They came so close to beating S&K at Nationals (They should have) and so close to beating C&S at 4CC (They should have).

vCash
    ^^ I think Zhang/ Bartholomay have improved but at this point, both C/S and S/K are somewhat stronger teams, IMHO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    Ugh. Frustrating for Z&B. They came so close to beating S&K at Nationals (They should have) and so close to beating C&S at 4CC (They should have).
    Why frustrating? They are having the best year of their careers by far and the future looks bright! If you told them last year they'd be 1st alternates for Worlds I think they'd be pretty stoked. Good for them, I say!

vCash
    Has S/K's new long program that they debuted at nationals been judged on the international level?
    If not, how do we know that Z/B would score better than them?
    Just wondering . . .

vCash
    Check the long scores for S/K. Z/B still have them there in front of an International panel (4 points higher in the Seasons best score.) S/K received a 54. in the short at NHK.
    As someone pointed out, S/K changed their LP, most likely to be better received by international judges, so who's better in the LP is hard to quantify right now. The only thing we have to go by is what happened at Nationals where both teams skated head-to-head in the final group where S/K won the LP.

As someone else pointed out, S/K scored 59.01 at Coupe de Nice, so I stand by my assessment that they have bigger scoring potential than Z/B. But, I think I misstated that earlier by using the phrase 'usually close to 60 pts.'

Also C/S were 10 points higher than Z/B at Nationals and at 4 CC's were a mere .o8 higher with both teams making the same fall on the throw. Review the tape from US Nats...be honest...who should have won the long. (Z/B did have the highest tech score) If they would have had the required tech score for Worlds at that point, Z/B would have been second.
    Things may have changed with the inclusion of S/K at 4CC's. S/K may have been ahead of both teams. Who knows.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Pang/Tong weren't at 4CC - they may be old and dealing with injuries but I wouldn't count them out at Worlds.
    I agree with this. I was surprised with the scores Pang and Tong were awarded this fall, given the state of some of their elements.

vCash
    However, if you read the latest Pang/Tong article summarized in the Chinese news thread, his injuries don't sound minor (plus Sui/Han's status for Worlds is still unclear): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3842306
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I meant to post this observation earlier, but US pairs are experiencing some irony right now.

Interestingly in the last decade, it was virtually impossible to find a US team that could just land SBS jumps and all their throw jumps cleanly. Now, they have overcome that obstacle for the most part, only to find in the last quadrennial that the rest of the world has really taken off and that is not nearly enough to matter anymore: Maybe we are behind as a result of US pairs being at a nadir in the middle of last decade (no teams with any sort of star quality) and the simultaneous implementation of CoP which the US was slow to embrace generally. We haven't been helped by our teams parting ways at an unhealthy clip - M/B v. 1.0 not realizing their potential and ultimately disbanding, and the frustration of Y/C getting it together for the 1st time in 2011 only to disband as well.

IDK, just a random thought here in the US pairs thread.

vCash
    Didn't take long... Rockne Brubaker and Lindsay Davis have teamed up: http://www.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

vCash
    Best of luck to Rockne and Lindsay with their new partnership.

US nationals next year in Boston is going to be very interesting in senior pairs. Can't wait!

vCash
    Thanks, flyingsit - I've started a new GSD thread with your news: New U.S. Pair: Rockne Brubaker & Lindsay Davis

Re-posting more comments from the S/K cheer thread since they're relevant here:
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    If you look at D/C vs. C/S and S/K, I noted that C/S w/ mistakes isn't that far off of a clean D/C score-wise. In fact, I think that a clean C/S in the SP will outscore a clean D/C in the SP.

It remains to be seen what a more experienced S/K can do, but I can tell that they have more raw talent than D/C. Of course, that depends on them 1) staying together and 2) avoiding injury. Impossible to get your hopes up, because, we are talking about US pairs, after all!

Anyway, I hope that all this motivates D/C for next season. Caydee seems quite competitive and strong contenders will hopefully push them to improve.

US pairs are generally better this year than ever before at doing the difficult jumps, throws and twists, but they are also much better at getting higher levels on the non-explosive elements - lifts, DS, FW, spins, etc. But, I'd like to see the top US pairs raise the bar next year and go for SBS 3toe and SBS 3sals next year in their LP's. I'd also like to see D/C and S/K work on their PCS elements, too. That might help them march up the standings.

--------

BTW, do you all think we will see a throw 3x from C/S at Worlds?
    It would be exciting to see Castelli/Shnapir go for a throw 3A in their FS but I think it will depend on their placement after the SP at Worlds.

vCash
    Thanks, flyingsit - I've started a new GSD thread with your news: New U.S. Pair: Rockne Brubaker & Lindsay Davis

Re-posting more comments from the S/K cheer thread since they're relevant here:

It would be exciting to see Castelli/Shnapir go for a throw 3A in their FS but I think it will depend on their placement after the SP at Worlds.
    Thanks for transferring my post to here. I happened to have the aforementioned train of thought while posting in the S/K thread!

I personally feel that generally, C/S don't have a lot to lose by going for the throw 3x. The US isn't expected to come close to a medal or even 3 spots for Sochi, and they are pretty safe for 2 spots even with a fall.

Then again, I see your point. IF they are really clean in the SP and find themselves in an unexpected high placement, and there are mistakes by others plus S/K do really well, they may want to go for clean and cautious if they can see 3 spots on the horizon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingsit View Post
    Didn't take long... Rockne Brubaker and Lindsay Davis have teamed up: http://www.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Thanks for posting. Once the rumors that Lindsay and Mark were breaking up got out, there was also speculation that Lindsay and Rockne would tryout -- it seemed almost like a done deal. I guess they waited a respectable time (first to announce the split), then to announce the new pairing, after the tryout. Since there's another thread about this, I'll post more there.

Meanwhile, good look to Lindsay and Rockne. I also hope Mark feels a measure of satisfaction in what he and Lindsay were able to accomplish this season, and most of all in what he and Amanda contributed for so many years to U.S. pairs and to the sport of figure skating. Thank you, Mark, and good luck in your future endeavors.

I think C/S are intent on taking the opportunity at Worlds (under not so much pressure as at Nationals) to put some more difficulty out there, since they have been working on difficult throw jumps in practice. Why not go for it on the Worlds' biggest stage? With U.S. pairs heating up, it may be difficult for teams like C/S and S/K to get back to the World stage as quickly as they would like to. Who knows?

And, re olympic's insightful post from the S/K thread in Trash Can, here are my comments posted yesterday in that same thread, which inspired olympic's:

I'm sure Caydee and John will come back strong. They need to use this time to work on improving their weaknesses too, and further maximizing their strengths. I think the writing is on the wall with S/K being such a strong team with all-around skills right out of the blocks. Mostly what S/K lack right now is experience.

I really enjoyed watching Chris in 2012 with his former partner, but it's so interesting to see how with the right partner things can click along faster. Alexa matches Chris so much better than other partners he's had. But I'm sure his experience with his former partners is what prepared Chris to be ready when Alexa came along. It's sweet that they are a couple off the ice too, and I hope they are able to separate their different intense emotions (re love and competition) and make their relationship work beautifully both on and off the ice.

I also enjoy watching C/S (Marissa and Simon), and I think they make a striking pair. It's harder for them to match unison particularly on spins because of their huge height difference, but I'm sure they're working on that aspect of their skating and they've improved so much this season with their choreography by Julie Marcotte. Lifts and throws are two of C/S strengths (Marissa has to even compensate for the huge height she gets from Simon on their throws). I'm hoping C/S will pull off at Worlds some of the difficulty they have up their sleeves.

It would be really wonderful to see U.S. Pairs improve enough to garner three teams if not in time for next year, at least by 2015. Zhang/ Bartholomay have improved a great deal this season too, and they seem to be really happy performing together. I'm also hoping that Donlan/ Speroff can turn things around and perform great in their hometown next January. I'm also crossing my fingers for Rockne Brubaker finding a great match in an on-ice partner who will stick for the long haul.
    And, voila, Rockne now has an on-ice partner (as well as an off-ice one ) seemingly willing to stick for the long haul.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 02-19-2013 at 06:55 PM.

vCash
    I recently mentioned the following item in the partner search thread in GSD:
    Steven Pottenger has an IPS profile up but he's NOT looking for a partner with whom to compete. Instead, he's advertising his services as a pairs coach for Juvenile on up: "My goal is to train good freestyle girls who want to learn how to skate pairs. With a little experience it will be easier to get a partner."
    Former U.S. pair competitor Kendra Moyle, now 22 (2006 World Junior silver medalist and 2006 U.S. Junior national champion with Andy Seitz) has been touring with Disney on Ice -- here's a local article in her hometown paper in Michigan that includes this news:
    Life will change for Moyle in four months when she marries her former pairs partner, Steve Pottenger, here in Michigan. A Texas native, Pottenger is now a coach at the Artic Figure Skating Club [in Canton, Michigan]. Once married, Moyle hopes to return at some point to Eastern Michigan University where she is studying communications. She has not decided how long she will keep performing.

Keeping a relationship going while traveling is hard, but Moyle and Pottenger talk all the time. "This year, we've been on the West Coast so Skype is kind of our best friend. You learn to adjust and it’s worth it."

Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast