Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

vCash
    Denney/Coughlin will not be going to Worlds - re-posting article link from the previous page: http://www.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    (02/18/2013) - Even though John Coughlin said he has "come back as well as anyone could have hoped for" following hip surgery in December, he and pairs partner Caydee Denney decided not to compete at the World Figure Skating Championships next month in London, Ontario.

And although he said he has been back on the ice since Jan. 28 and that they have gotten most of their major elements back, he and Denney decided to look at the bigger picture, making sure they return to full strength as they approach the Olympic season. ...
    Here's the official press release confirming that Scimeca/Knierim are going to Worlds with Castelli/Shnapir: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=48995&type=media
    Scimeca and Knierim, the 2013 U.S. silver medalists, were the first alternates for a spot on the World Team. They withdrew from the 2013 ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships because Scimeca was experiencing right foot pain. Upon her return to Colorado Springs, where the team is based, Scimeca was evaluated and cleared to continue training.
    Felicia Zhang and Nate Bartholomay, the 2013 U.S. bronze medalists, are the first alternates to the World Team. Haven Denney and Brandon Frazier, who placed fifth at the U.S. Championships and will compete at the 2013 World Junior Championships, are second alternates to the World Team.
    Denney/Frazier officially have replaced the split team of Davis/Ladwig as third, now second, alternates.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 02-18-2013 at 05:28 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Does this mean D/C were evaluated by a committee and did not pass the evaluation? Or did they voluntarily withdraw?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Here's the official press release confirming that Scimeca/Knierim are going to Worlds with Castelli/Shnapir: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=48995&type=media

Denney/Frazier officially have replaced the split team of Davis/Ladwig as third, now second, alternates.
    Interesting that Alexa has recoverd so quickly. Also of interest, Z/B score at 4 cc's was higher than S/K at NHK. I would think Z/B should have been looked at a little more closely for Worlds considering they seem to be on a roll and frankly many felt would have been 2nd at Nationals if they had the required tech. score at that point. Oh well good luck teams in London!

vCash
    I personally think that's a smart decision by John Coughlin to pull the plug on this season and get totally healthy for the big Olympic year that's coming up.

Best of luck to Marisa & Simon and Alexa & Chris at Worlds!

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Very sorry for John and Caydee, but if they don't think they're ready, I'm glad they decided to focus on their health and goals for next season. Best wishes to John and Caydee for a full recovery and great Olympic season and best of luck to Alexa and Chris.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Denney/Coughlin will not be going to Worlds - press release should be forthcoming.

ETA - make that an article: http://www.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Marissa Castelli and Simon Shnapir, who finished fifth at the 2012 U.S. Championships, won the 2013 U.S. title and earned the bronze medal at the Four Continents Championships.
    It seems rather odd for the writer to lead with C&S's 2012 results, and not their most recent achievements. I would think that for the current champs something like, "Castelli and Shnapir, the reigning U.S. Championships and 2013 Four Continents bronze medalists....." would be more in order.

I'm not surprised that D&C are out and hope that either S&K or Z&B will be ready. Both teams have the potential to do well.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    ^^ This. C/S are indeed and should be respected as the current champs and should not be looked upon as just place holders.

I did think John and Caydee might be ready, but it's a wise decision for them to concentrate on John becoming stronger and them both working toward next season.

Best of luck to all U.S. pairs, and especially to the teams heading to Worlds. All 3 of the current top teams are looking strong and ready for the experience. It's great to see the continuing improvement of U.S. pairs.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Once again, proof that this surgery is a big deal and you don't just bounce back from it.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    It seems rather odd for the writer to lead with C&S's 2012 results, and not their most recent achievements. I would think that for the current champs something like, "Castelli and Shnapir, the reigning U.S. Championships and 2013 Four Continents bronze medalists....." would be more in order.
    I think they were trying to show that they are on their way up with results that are building.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Won't be easy for C/S to make top 10 at worlds but doable. GER, 3RUS, 2CAN, 3CHI (if healthy), ITA, FRA.
    The pressure is on them.

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    C&S are 11th on the season best list and one of the teams in front is D&C.

http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/...13/sbtspto.htm

If the second US pair makes the free skate they only need to make top 12 to get two spots.

I think the US will be fine.

vCash
    Re-posting these relevant posts from the Scimeca/Knierim cheer thread in the Trash Can:
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    WOW. I feel bad for D/C. I realize they aren't very many people's faves, but this has got to sting. Obviously, they weren't ready though.

However, I am psyched for S/K! Unlike men's or ladies' singles, US pairs weren't really going to have a shot at 3 spots or a medal, so perhaps C/S and S/K can just relax a little more and skate their best, get good scores for the olympic season
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    I'm sure Caydee and John will come back strong. They need to use this time to work on improving their weaknesses too, and further maximizing their strengths. I think the writing is on the wall with S/K being such a strong team with all-around skills right out of the blocks. Mostly what S/K lack right now is experience.

I really enjoyed watching Chris in 2012 with his former partner, but it's so interesting to see how with the right partner things can click along faster. Alexa matches Chris so much better than other partners he's had. But I'm sure his experience with his former partners is what prepared Chris to be ready when Alexa came along. It's sweet that they are a couple off the ice too, and I hope they are able to separate their different intense emotions (re love and competition) and make their relationship work beautifully both on and off the ice.

I also enjoy watching C/S (Marissa and Simon), and I think they make a striking pair. It's harder for them to match unison particularly on spins because of their huge height difference, but I'm sure they're working on that aspect of their skating and they've improved so much this season with their choreography by Julie Marcotte. Lifts and throws are two of C/S strengths (Marissa has to even compensate for the huge height she gets from Simon on their throws). I'm hoping C/S will pull off at Worlds some of the difficulty they have up their sleeves.

It would be really wonderful to see U.S. Pairs improve enough to garner three teams if not in time for next year, at least by 2015. Zhang/ Bartholomay have improved a great deal this season too, and they seem to be really happy performing together. I'm also hoping that Donlan/ Speroff can turn things around and perform great in their hometown next January. I'm also crossing my fingers for Rockne Brubaker finding a great match in an on-ice partner who will stick for the long haul.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I'm confident that the USA will keep two pair spots for next year's Olympics and worlds. I hope C/S and S/K can skate their best and get some attention and recognition if both teams skate well..But my gosh next year's US nationals will be very unpredictable. With all the pairs that didn't skate this past January, trying to predict who wins or who medals in Boston next year will be very very difficult. And my crystal ball doesn't work this far in advance!

vCash
    I already like S/K more then D/C and i've only seen them a couple times so far but they have more to work with i think. All they need is time and they could become a force.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jdonavan View Post
    Interesting that Alexa has recoverd so quickly. Also of interest, Z/B score at 4 cc's was higher than S/K at NHK. I would think Z/B should have been looked at a little more closely for Worlds considering they seem to be on a roll and frankly many felt would have been 2nd at Nationals if they had the required tech. score at that point. Oh well good luck teams in London!
    S/K still beat Z/B at Nationals. In fact, S/K had the highest score in the LP for the competition and when both S/K and Z/B are clean in the SP, S/K is usually close to 60 pts and that's quite a gap over Z/B. So, I think S/K is the best team for Worlds.

vCash
    I think it's a wise decision to look longer term, rather than risking his health and Caydee's safety. And I hope Alexa's foot/ankle/whatever is OK and that both S/K and C/S will have some really satisfying performances at worlds.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    Won't be easy for C/S to make top 10 at worlds but doable. GER, 3RUS, 2CAN, 3CHI (if healthy), ITA, FRA.
    The pressure is on them.
    Both Americans Smoked the Chinese at 4 CC's this year...I don't think well be seeing Sui/Han this year

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    S/K still beat Z/B at Nationals. In fact, S/K had the highest score in the LP for the competition and when both S/K and Z/B are clean in the SP, S/K is usually close to 60 pts and that's quite a gap over Z/B. So, I think S/K is the best team for Worlds.
    Check the long scores for S/K. Z/B still have them there in front of an International panel (4 points higher in the Seasons best score.) S/K received a 54. in the short at NHK.

Also C/S were 10 points higher than Z/B at Nationals and at 4 CC's were a mere .o8 higher with both teams making the same fall on the throw. Review the tape from US Nats...be honest...who should have won the long. (Z/B did have the highest tech score) If they would have had the required tech score for Worlds at that point, Z/B would have been second.

Yes all three teams are great, but I am skeptical of this injury that Alexa has recovered from in a matter of 1 week. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by jdonavan; 02-19-2013 at 01:04 AM.

vCash
    Did we ever get a confirmation of what Scimeca's injury was?

MAYBE SHE FAKED IT JUST LIKE PLUSHENKO?

vCash
    Usova put her up to it. LEIS, all LEIS.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast