Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sit_spin View Post
    I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who feels that way. The massive height gap seems awkward to me (and it's distracting).

This is coming from someone who generally loves pairs teams with a fairly big height gap.

They're a good pairs team, but I just can't seem to get into their skating.
    I like C/S a lot. I think they are a good, solid team who are still young and still developing. The height difference doesn't detract from them for me. I think they make it work to their advantage. Marissa seems to be a spitfire to Simon's brave and stalwart Knight. They may be adding some difficult throws to their repertoire in competition at 4CCs and Worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    I like C/S a lot. I think they are a good, solid team who are still young and still developing. The height difference doesn't detract from them for me. I think they make it work to their advantage. Marissa seems to be a spitfire to Simon's brave and stalwart Knight. They may be adding some difficult throws to their repertoire in competition at 4CCs and Worlds.
    It would be great if their SBS jumps in the LP were the 3sal and 3toe. They can do both but it's probably a level of comfort issue. Also, perhaps we may see a throw 3x from them some day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    The Challenge Cup roster was updated today (Feb. 5) and Leng/LeDuc are listed as "Accepted" now (L/L and the POL pair both were listed as substitutes yesterday and their status was changed today). However, the Team USA entries are not considered official until they are listed on USFS' International Assignments page, and Challenge Cup has not been added there yet.
    The International Assignments page is updated now for the Challenge Cup, as of at least this morning. http://www.usfigureskating.org/Athletes.asp?id=216

U.S. is sending in pairs:
    Baga/Toth
    Kayne/O'Shea
    Lang/LeDuc

I wonder if Donlan/Speroff declined? Great to see that these three teams have a chance at an international ISU competition.

Is there a link to the current roster for The Challenge Cup?

Also, can someone please remind me on how the Senior Grand Prix assignments were given last year (haha, if we ever figured out for sure what the system *really* was, since that was pretty chaotic this past fall)? Aside from the GP host home-country picks, were the assigned-seeded picks based on ISU-World-Skater rankings? Or highest total ISU competition score from the previous season (or two seasons)? Or something else all together?

Do we expect Simpson/Blackmer, Denney/Frazier, Calalang/Sidhu, and Aaron/Settlage to remain on the Junior Grand Prix next fall or do they "age out"? Or are they likely to be in the mix for Senior Grand Prix assignments if they have the scores / world ranking to earn seeded spots?

Wondering if these either the World Junior teams of Simpson/Blackmer, Denney/Frazier, Calalang/Sidhu... or the 4 Cont team of Zhang/Bartholomay(sp?)... or The Challenge Cup teams of Baga/Toth, Kayne/O'shea, Lang/Leduc... have a shot at securing themselves a Grand Prix assignment if they score high enough in their respective competitions this Feb. All of these teams could score in the 140s (total)... possibly even 150s+... which could move them up on the Seasons Best Scores list where they would be in the mix of the teams who have received Senior Grand Prix assignments before.

So, someone please remind me how the Senior Grand Prix assignments worked (for those who were assigned, and not the GP host home country picks). (Of course, the selection criteria/process will probably change AGAIN this fall. .

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochelle View Post
    The International Assignments page is updated now for the Challenge Cup ...
    I wonder if Donlan/Speroff declined? Great to see that these three teams have a chance at an international ISU competition.
    I believe the point of the spring assignments usually is to give opportunities for skaters who have not competed internationally before or, at least, this season. I'm happy to see all 3 new Senior pairs get the chance to go out.

Is there a link to the current roster for The Challenge Cup?
    There's a competition thread in Kiss and Cry: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...lenge-Cup-2013
    This is a Senior B comp. so only ISU World Standings ranking points are given (to the top 5 finishers); their scores will not count for the ISU Seasons Best scores list.

Do we expect Simpson/Blackmer, Denney/Frazier, Calalang/Sidhu, and Aaron/Settlage to remain on the Junior Grand Prix next fall or do they "age out"?
    Max Settlage is fortunate to have been born on July 1st so he and Aaron have 1 more season of ISU Junior age eligibility left (2013-14), along with Denney/Frazier (if D/F elect to return to the JGP). S/B and C/S age out. There's some discussion on this topic in this Trash Can thread: US GP Skaters for 2013-14
    Last edited by Sylvia; 02-06-2013 at 04:20 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Great - thank you for the links on where each of these areas are being discussed already. Much appreciated! Limited free time to scope out many of the threads right now...

vCash
    figureit, when did Denney and Coughlin break up (their dating relationship)?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    This is a great question because I don't know first hand for any of the teams? everything I know I read on blogs so maybe it is like that commercial that says "I believe it because it is on the internet"lol

From blogs I got they were dating and then not dating but I am not sure I ever read an article that stated they were dating in the first place...there is a forum here about pairs of age dating and not..and other blogs that talk about it. IN fact unless there is an article supported by authentic sources who knows if it is true for any of the teams?? and whether it matters at all? I just thought it was an interesting topic and that it really shouldn't matter I guess that was my point. Does it really matter if someone is dating or not dating?

I am just excited about the depth of pairs in the US as normally it is the discipline I pay the least attention to and I was really surprised after watching Nationals on IN and You Tube...
    I think though out of all the teams D/C have great chemistry but so do C/S, S/K, Z/B and many of the others too...I thought D/L had the least amount of chemistry and they have already broken up. SO I guess you never know...sorry if I assumed about someone due to a blog....just because it is on the internet written by someone doesn't mean it is true...happy to have FSU and all the links and information they pass on...

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Local Tampa Bay (Florida) article: http://www.tampabay.com/news/humanin...ionals/1273907
    William, 15, and JoJo, 14, are the newly minted U.S. Figure Skating juvenile pairs champions.

On Jan. 25, JoJo's 14th birthday, the brother and sister team won top honors during the national competition in Omaha, Neb. Skating to a selection from Riverdance, they nailed their thrown double flips, side-by-side double lutzes and synchronized spins.

Their score of 48.16 seemed to impress everyone, including their Russian coach Alex Vlassov, who works with them at the Tampa Bay Skating Academy in Oldsmar. They also train with Vlassov's wife, Laura Amelina.
    Former U.S. pair skaters that were listed as coaches of the Intermediate and/or Juvenile pair teams at Nationals included Peter Oppegard, Rocky Marval, Tracy Prussack, Jonathon Hunt, Naomi Nari Nam, Themi Leftheris, Stephanie Stiegler, Devin Matthews, Kaela Pflumm, Fred Palascak, Sheryl Franks, and Chad Brennan.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 02-06-2013 at 05:40 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    and to add...not that I am trying to be a rumor mill junkie but watch the interview with skating lesson of Caitlin Y I did read she and Josh have been dating very seriously for awhile and maybe that is getting them through the rough spell of injuries because when you are invested in your partner...their likes , dislikes, their spirit etc...you care and love them in that way hey maybe it helps get you through the storm? After watching the interview after of Tai B she seemed to be touching on the same thing the investment you have in your partner can get you through those times...

I will research this as it is so interesting to me to find out that whether you date or not whether you are together..well if you are invested in the partner and you more than get along you are "happy" and connect on a different level does that help longevity?

Or is it like what Tai said : that having the same goals are key...??Also the level of difficulty is completely different than the 80's?? not even the same sport and does that effect things? The body, emotions? etc?

Not sure but as we enter into an Olympic year and we are all waiting on pins and needles to see if teams stay together?? It would be interesting to do some research on what makes that happen...
    I believe that not for years has there been this kind of depth in US Pair skating and wouldn't it be great if there was some answers and these teams stayed together reaching a type of success not seen for decades? Just a thought.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by figureit View Post

I am just excited about the depth of pairs in the US as normally it is the discipline I pay the least attention to and I was really surprised after watching Nationals on IN and You Tube...
    I think though out of all the teams D/C have great chemistry but so do C/S, S/K, Z/B and many of the others too...I thought D/L had the least amount of chemistry and they have already broken up. SO I guess you never know...sorry if I assumed about someone due to a blog....just because it is on the internet written by someone doesn't mean it is true...happy to have FSU and all the links and information they pass on...
    You mean D/L as in Davis/Ladwig? I don't think it's been confirmed that they broke up..

vCash
    D/C are still dating AFAIK?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carriemarie View Post
    First break up of the off season is Ladwig and Davis. They have broken up as of today. Probably be officially announced in a few days. [post #711 dated 1/30/2013]
    It's official:

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...e_pressrelease

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    ^^^ Also posted here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3828877

Cross-posting from the Four Continents sub-forum in Kiss and Cry:

http://www.isuresults.com/results/fc...meSchedule.pdf
    "Please note: The pair with starting number 3 Alexa SCIMECA / Chris KNIERIM (USA) have withdrawn due to medical reason."

No official word on the medical reason yet.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Press release on Scimeca/Knierim's WD due to her injury: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=48972&type=media
    Scimeca, 21, has been experiencing pain in her right foot since the first day of practice in Japan. She will undergo a full evaluation upon her return to Colorado Springs, Colo., where the team trains.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 02-08-2013 at 02:16 AM.

vCash
    The bad luck of US pairs continues. Hopefully Alexa's injury isn't too severe.

vCash
    Lots of for Scimeca/Knierim and Davis/Ladwig. I hope D/L can both find great situations, whatever the next step brings.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Bummer for both teams.

How tall is Davis? She's a good jumper. Wonder if she and Rockne will try out.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elka_sk8 View Post
    How tall is Davis? She's a good jumper. Wonder if she and Rockne will try out.
    Previously discussed a few pages back: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3821571

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Press release on Scimeca/Knierim's WD due to her injury: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=48972&type=media
    I wonder does this mean that Donlan/ Speroff will take their place as 2nd alternates at 4CCs (since 1st alternates, Davis/ Ladwig, have split), or will it be Denney/ Frazier, or is it too late for any of the alternates to get there?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    ^^^ No, it's too late. Scimeca/Knierim were removed from the SP starting order today (the pairs event starts in a few hours in Japan) - no replacements are allowed after the starting order has been drawn.

Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast