Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I don't think they're trying to look more balletic: I think they're trying to look more refined, which never hurt anyone -- Arakawa, for example, was an ideal combination of power and grace, IMO, and athleticism can look quite graceful -- and more couple-like.

Quote Originally Posted by 5Ali3 View Post
    There are very legitimate reasons for skaters to include choreography from their introduction into their starting position. One of those reasons is to establish character - in the mind of both the audience and the skater. However, when skaters break character after the intro choreography and do nervous arm rolls/shoulder shrugs/head shaking, it shatter the illusion far more than if the skaters had just skipped the elaborate intro. If you're going to do it, commit to it and follow through.
    Or, the classic, when the woman unwedgifies.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    ITA with those who feel Denney/ Coughlin are making great improvements. And yes, nothing wrong with working on "refinement." However, I also agree with those who believe D/C need to find music and choreo that suits them better. I enjoyed D/C's new fp more than their sp. From their costumes and choreo, it seems to me that D/C feel D/S may become their strongest competitors among U.S. pairs. However, altho' D/C look good and show improvement in line and refinement, I agree with the poster who said D/C are trying too hard to fit into the "balletic" mold. I don't think that style suits them. D/C's programs this season are good and will surely get better as the season progresses, but I just don't feel fully engaged watching them. While D/C have a great connection and are strong technically and athletically, I don't feel a spark of excitement from D/C (I think they displayed a bit more excitement in their last season's fp, when Denney wore her hair down and they had a more energetic approach). I think that in order for D/C to truly come into their own, they need to explore more of what makes them and their partnership unique, and bring that out more on the ice. I agree with olympic's comments in this regard.

I add my thanks to 5Ali3 for your excellent tutorial on overhead lift positions, and your explanation of "why" Denney experiences difficulty in her turn-out. Wouldn't it be possible for her to work on loosening and lengthening her thigh muscles a bit to help with achieving a slightly better turnout? While she may not gain ideal turnout, perhaps knowing the "why" of her problem might be of benefit in helping her focus more on stretching and loosening the muscles in her pelvic region. Wow, re your examination of how some of Denney's problems on lifts are likely related to bad habits that began with previous partnerships.

Great seeing the pic of Keauna and Rockne -- but also a reminder re Rockne being such a wonderful pairs partner who has to sit out this season. Hope he is able to find an ideal match and come back strong.

I'm in love with Donlan/ Speroff. They have magic, spark and the "it" factor together on the ice. Of course, they still have much to work on, and obviously as has been said many times, they need to become stronger with their jumps. I found their sp interesting, but strangely they did not seem to have enough stretch in their spin with forward catch leg position (that Rudy Galindo does so well). D/S fp from last season still sings. They should gain much needed international experience this season.

vCash
    ^FWIW, I'm not an athlete, but I'm a fitness freak who has developed ankle joint problems. A Dr. recommended Glucosamine and I've been taking it for about 6 yrs. A secondary benefit is that I've become quite flexible, much more so than ever before.

I wonder if athletes like Caydee might develop more turn-out from something like that ...

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    Oftentimes, lack of turn out is due to the structure of the hip joint and not the flexibility of the muscles and ligaments surrounding the joint. This is impossible to fix without mechanically reshaping the bones. It's pretty likely that this is the issue with Caydee since she's probably been working on flexibility since she was a child.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

vCash
    Then they need to ditch positions that highlight her lack of turnout. At this point that one position (sorry, I don't know names of lifts) makes her look nearly knock-kneed
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Then they need to ditch positions that highlight her lack of turnout. At this point that one position (sorry, I don't know names of lifts) makes her look nearly knock-kneed
    Are there any high level lifts for them that will highlight her strengths rather than show her weakness in 'turn-out'?

vCash
    This Icenetwork article announces the end of Kylie Duarte and Colin Grafton's partnership. Duarte has retired and Grafton will search for a new partner. It is a shame that they will now not ever compete as a senior pair at nationals, but they certainly deserve respect for maintaining their partnership for over ten years.

vCash
    Best of luck to both of them in the future.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    This is sad to hear. They have improved so much over the years.

vCash
    Good luck to Kylie in high school and I hope she gets into the college of her choice. I hope Colin finds a partner!

vCash
    Thanks to 'marnianne' for filming & uploading Kylie Duarte/Colin Grafton's final public performances together at Harvard's "Evening with Champions" show:

Sept. 29: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ixOZo-Nub0

Sept. 30: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqT5VM9Dk5M

ETA article excerpt (link posted above):
    Both skaters spoke of what they admired in each other, and shared their thoughts about how to keep a partnership going for such a long time. They had some of the hardest content at the junior level in the U.S., with two side-by-side triple jumps in their program last season.

"One of the best things about Kylie is that in competition she would always turn it on. No matter how the practices were going, I knew when we got to competition, she would always be there; I would never have to worry," Grafton said. "And [I admire] her long lines, and her jumps."

"I admire his presentation and his love for the sport," Duarte said. "I never had to worry about him not getting into the program. He always presented; he always had pizzazz. It stepped up my game, because I had to up my presentation to meet his."

Although the audience didn't know it, the team's last performance together was at "An Evening with Champions" last month in Massachusetts. At the end of their program, they skated off the ice with their arms around each other.

"One of the reasons we could stay together for so long is we could always work through our problems," Grafton said. "It's very much like a marriage. There are going to be hurdles you have to overcome, and you have to communicate and work through things."
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-18-2012 at 05:20 PM. Reason: to add article excerpt
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Best wishes to them both. Hopeful Colin will find a partner soon and can get an early start on preparations for next season. He's in Colorado Springs I would assume, so am sure the opportunities to find a suitable match are quite good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayana_mnk View Post
    It is a shame that they will now not ever compete as a senior pair at nationals, but they certainly deserve respect for maintaining their partnership for over ten years.
    Duarte and Grafton choosing to end their partnership prior to participating as a senior pair in the US qualifying structure means that he'll have the option of skating junior at nationals again, if he and a new partner feel that it is appropriate/beneficial for them to skate a year in junior.

vCash
    Collin in 21 though so doesn't that mean he's aged out of junior?

vCash
    Colin Grafton turned 21 last month but there are no age limits for entering/competing in Novice-Senior Pairs at U.S. Nationals.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Aw. I really liked them.

With their split, which team has been together the longest? Goldberg/Dolk? Castelli/Shnapir?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mgobluegirl View Post
    Duarte and Grafton choosing to end their partnership prior to participating as a senior pair in the US qualifying structure means that he'll have the option of skating junior at nationals again, if he and a new partner feel that it is appropriate/beneficial for them to skate a year in junior.
    In order to skate Junior level at Nationals, only one of the partners may have passed the Senior pair test. The rules say that if both have passed the Senior pair test, then they must skate Senior level. Also, if one of the partners has ever competed at the Senior level at a qualifying competition (which Colin has not), then the pair would have to compete at the Senior level. This is why Rockne will have to compete with his new partner at the Senior level, and the new partner will have to pass the Senior pair test (just like Mary Beth did).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by johndockley92 View Post
    With their split, which team has been together the longest?
    Well the junior team of Cali Fujimoto and Nicholas Barsi-Rhyne started competing together at the Juvenile level in the 2001-02 season : http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/de...d=39440&mode=P

Of the current international pairs, Castelli/Shnapir teamed up in April 2006: http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/de...d=39090&mode=P

vCash
    This isn't exactly U.S. Pairs news, but I wanted to report that the team of Kloe Bautista/Tyler Harris have been forced to retire. Unfortunately, Kloe re-injured her shoulder a couple of Fridays ago, and now requires surgery. They will be unable to compete at Philippine Nationals. She has made the decision to retire due to the timing of this, which means Tyler will also retire. Not exactly how they wanted to end their careers, but they remain the best of friends; like brother and sister. It will take some adjusting for them but they will be ok.

vCash
    So sorry to hear this.

Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast