Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolsk8tr View Post
    Then;
    #1) Don't take advantage of the split pair to attain a Team USA spot if you are not ready
    Since the Split Pair rule only applies to the ISU Grand Prix, I'll assume you mean GP.

How exactly did Y/R "attain a Team USA spot"? "Team USA" is only entitled to three spots (at Skate America), and Y/R haven't been assigned to any of them yet (there's a TBA open, based on how the summer goes). The rest of the spots are earned by specific skaters: every one of the Pairs entitled to one or two has been assigned to one or two, and the pairs that haven't been assigned, haven't earned them.

There are Pairs from other countries that higher on the SB list than US pairs on the list. Why do you assume that if Y/R hadn't gotten a Split Couple spot that the spot would have gone to another US team?

While I don't expect Y/R to be another D/C, who got their second GP spot as a Split Couple last year, Y/R have been together for a short time, and by November, a little more than three months away, they'll have been together twice as long as they have now. US Nationals are another two months away. While I don't expect them to be competitive this year, or even get a GP minimum at CoC, they've earned the right to be there.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Touche!

Not trying to assume and meant representing USA...obviously. Of course they should take advantage of everything they can my point was more that they if not feeling ready should take their time to often we pressure teams and that was the point although not as elequint as the way you stated it.

I do think they can be competitive this year that is a little negative. I think and hope all the teams can as it makes for better competition...of course you want development and improvement and to see a team get better and better every year...

I mentioned at the end of that statement that I could be off...I am like a weebles wobble...and just saying that lets you know how old I am...I admit I being from 6.0 system get confused on all the rule changes and points..assignments etc.....that said..

they were just thoughts....but I appreciate the clarity anyway. I hope all the teams continue to develop well as I stated before FS can be hard that is why we saw only doubles from M/B at their last competition debut...so my guess is if all the Senior teams did just doubles they would all skate clean but sometimes you gotta go for it and it looks like as I said in my other post they did that....you build from there.

You have to admit though the assignments coming out just based on points and split rule adds an interesting turn this year...
    Also a lot of teams had the points for that spot and one in-particular was a team that lost that spot they had earned that YEAR through skating... were slotted for a spot they earned and lost it because of this new longer split rule....it happens its the sport but it still sucks and then adds a lot of pressure on a team taking a spot based on past...but we are seeing a lot of comebacks etc it happens and is part of the sport...look at Weir and others coming back...so will be interesting before Olympics!!

I still hope all do great and improve from here as again I am sure it will be a very interesting and exciting season ahead!

...and so it goes...

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Also a lot of teams had the points for that spot and one in-particular was a team that lost that spot they had earned that YEAR through skating... were slotted for a spot they earned and lost it because of this new longer split rule....it happens its the sport but it still sucks and then adds a lot of pressure on a team taking a spot based on past...but we are seeing a lot of comebacks etc it happens and is part of the sport...look at Weir and others coming back...so will be interesting before Olympics!!
    What do you mean "had the points"? What do you mean "earned"?

Even though the GP rules have changed over the last decade about who earns what spots, every skater/team who has earned a spot by those rules and whose Federation has submitted their names has received at least the minimum number of spots guaranteed by the rules and very often more. Every year, even as the ISU reduced the number of spots in each event, the number of spots has been greater than the number of guaranteed spots + host spots + Split Couples/Comeback Skaters, and skaters from the Top 75 list -- who earn nothing except the possibility of replacing skaters who withdraw -- have been chosen in the initial selection. Who are you talking about?

The Split Couple rule has been in effect for two seasons. Last season, there were as many teams that were guaranteed one and got second non-host spots (S/H in CAN, S/K in FRA) as non-host Split Couple spots (D/C and D/W in FRA). Why do you think your couple "lost" a spot to a Split Couple rather than S/H or S/K? Or to Y/J in CAN, S/S in CH, or P/S in JPN, all of whom made the minimum score, but did not "earn" -- i.e., guaranteed by the GP selection rules -- a spot?
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    As far as your comment 'it would be tragic that they took a spot in the GP at the level they seem to be at now' - that is her right under the rules set by the ISU and she's not the only skater to use it.
    It would be "tragic" for Caitlin if she did as bad as they did in the SP at Skate Detroit at their GP.

The low score specially compared with S/K, who are quite a new pair too, was shocking for me, because I think CY is a gorgeous skater AND I obviously spent too much time chatting/tweeting with Caitlin ubers I caught their maybe unrealistic "Y/R will kick D/C at Nats" bug.

I hope they will actually get much stronger and challenge the top pairs next January. The more pairs the better.

I don't have any relatives or friends who are skaters, or coaches or judges or costume designers Sadly, no one in my family or my close group of friends even watch skating.

36 posts? How did that happen? A sign that I'm talking too much.
    Last edited by crankyintheAM; 07-27-2012 at 07:45 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crankyintheAM View Post
    It would be "tragic" for Caitlin if she did as bad as they did in the SP at Skate Detroit at their GP.

The low score specially compared with S/K, who are quite a new pair too, was shocking for me, because I think CY is a gorgeous skater AND I obviously spent too much time chatting/tweeting with Caitlin ubers I caught their maybe unrealistic "Y/R will kick D/C at Nats" bug.

I hope they will actually get much stronger and challenge the top pairs next January. The more pairs the better.

I don't have any relatives or friends who are skaters, or coaches or judges or costume designers Sadly, no one in my family or my close group of friends even watch skating.

36 posts? How did that happen? A sign that I'm talking too much.
    You said it was 'tragic' she took the spot not skated as bad...why? If they do bad...so be it, she has every right to go. Do you see the protocol from SD? I haven't so I can't comment on how they performed.

S/K also got a score higher than Kavaguti and Smirnov received last year at NHK so are S/K a better team now? You may be either looking to much into one local competition or to much into one score, maybe both. Either way it is waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy to early in the season to be bashing any teams. At this rate you are going to be real tired by the GPF. Give all the skaters a break.

vCash
    kwanfan1818

Skating is sometimes not fair and often there have been teams (never said all are guaranteed a spot ever) that could have had a US spot that were maybe passed over for someone else. It happens and it is the nature of the sport...or many sports for that matter not just pairs.

Has it never happened to you?? You have never worked hard had your parents sacrifice and your whole family and through blood sweat and tears that year the outcome is for another.?? It happens in the words of my grandmother it is "character building tea" necessary for survival...

I also said that Y/R deserved everything that they can qualify for and someone else mentioned that if it were my own family...I would want them to get everything they could benefit from in life and they are right about that. (not sure if that was you)

I think at Liberty the Teams showed much promise Z/B were awesome they also skated very well at Nats in 2012...are they doing an international? They should be! S/K who are newer than Y/R and also a split team they both were 7th and 10th at Nats with other partners I think? and both placed above V/B...I am not sure on that though...and there were a few others from 2012 Senior and Junior that did well and aren't on Internationals this year...

...I know everyone can't go. Everyone in their own time...building and growth it is very individual(team) ... we have so many young teams even in Juniors that show so much promise....Look at B/T who got out there with her competing Senior Pairs after just passing the tests?

Your points are noted....and respected I do not mean to offend or cause such seemingly well passionate responses...but I do not necessarily agree and that should be ok.......

vCash
    Yes but you seem to have missed the point that GP spots, except at Skate America, are not distibuted by country. Y/R have not recieved a USA spot at all for anything at this point so they can't have taken a USA spot.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    kwanfan1818

Skating is sometimes not fair and often there have been teams (never said all are guaranteed a spot ever) that could have had a US spot that were maybe passed over for someone else. It happens and it is the nature of the sport...or many sports for that matter not just pairs.
    You wrote: "Also a lot of teams had the points for that spot and one in-particular was a team that lost that spot they had earned that YEAR through skating... were slotted for a spot they earned and lost it because of this new longer split rule."

I'm asking how they "earned" it. Based on what criteria?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    I think at Liberty the Teams showed much promise Z/B were awesome they also skated very well at Nats in 2012...are they doing an international? They should be!
    Based on what I saw at Liberty, Felicia Zhang/Nate Bartholomay are definitely ready for and worthy of their first Senior B international assignment together - hope they get one!

S/K who are newer than Y/R and also a split team they both were 7th and 10th at Nats with other partners I think?
    Yes, and based on what I saw of their SP on the Broadmoor Open webcast in June, Scimeca/Knierim are also looking good for a Senior B assignment as long as they perform well enough in their FS debut today at Skate Detroit.

...and there were a few others from 2012 Senior and Junior that did well and aren't on Internationals this year...
    Who besides Duarte/Grafton who have aged out/moved up to Senior? D/G weren't at their best at Liberty and the U.S. JGP pairs assignments haven't been announced yet (should be next week), but at least 3 teams will be at the Lake Placid JGP -- see Rochelle's post about the JGP pair candidates here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...01#post3630901
    Last edited by Sylvia; 07-27-2012 at 09:14 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    S/K also got a score higher than Kavaguti and Smirnov received last year at NHK so are S/K a better team now? You may be either looking to much into one local competition or to much into one score, maybe both. Either way it is waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy to early in the season to be bashing any teams. At this rate you are going to be real tired by the GPF. Give all the skaters a break.
    I was comparing scores from the same local competition, wasn't I?

I had no intention of bashing anyone, and I don't think I "bash" anyone, but we may have different opinions of what constitutes "bashing". I did mock Caitlin's silly, and hopefully joking, comment about Josh's looks.

Give skaters a break? I'm not talking to the skaters here AFAIK, nor did I say anything offensive, but if you are Caitlin and felt offended, then I'm sorry, but you shouldn't take comments that are mere speculation and passing time, and in no way personal, too seriously. Again, if you are Caitlin, I think you are the most graceful and elegant of all the American ladies skating Pairs and I really wish you to do well.

I was just commenting on a forum, really. Maybe I will put a after every other word so you don't worry about me being too serious or getting tired (very nice of you, by the way ).

Sorry to everyone else for taking up space with kinda off topic replies. It won't happen again. Now FSU is accusing me of "hacking Evan's twitter" I love it!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by madm View Post
    Alexa is 21 and Chris is 24.
    I think that she is going to be a favorite here on FSU. I spoke with her at Nationals, and she is a spitfire-- she wants to win, and she is willing to put the work in. I am excited about this pairing.
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crankyintheAM View Post
    I did mock Caitlin's silly, and hopefully joking, comment about Josh's looks.
    Wait - what comment?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sit_spin View Post
    Wait - what comment?
    IIRC, she said something about them both being blonde and blue eyed, so they looked good together.

I don't see what's so wrong about that, but to each their own.

vCash
    What happened to Knierim's last partner, Andrea Poapst? She was a star.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Andrea Poapst is skating in Los Angeles (with Peter Oppegard) and is still looking for a partner, last I heard. I really hope she can find someone worthy of her talents.

Skate Detroit Senior Pairs FS (5 teams competed):
    Moore-Towers/Moscovitch (CAN) 116.67, H. Denney/Frazier 99.90, Scimeca/Knierim 98.19, Purdy/Marinaro (CAN) 92.66, Baga/Toth 82.74 [Yankowskas/Reagan WD].
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post

I stated this earlier in the thread but she gave knierm an ultimatum to move to LA away from the Springs and that training center or else.... He is in school full-time and working to pay for skating according to bios I've read... ....and has always trained with Delilah .... SO she left the springs without him...he had no partner..then Scimeca moved there and they started training but knierm had a hernia procedure so it delayed training in the beginning...so this S/K team has more training to do and he is healed but it put them a little behind... I guess it was meant to be because I love the S/K team and hope popst(sp,,,,these names! finds a partner as well.....

I agree though that Poapt is a beautiful skater like caitlyn y.....in fact does anyone know why Y/R withdrew from FS? is there an injury....I hope everything is ok?

vCash
    I stated this earlier in the thread but she gave knierm an ultimatum to move to LA away from the Springs and that training center or else.... He is in school full-time and working to pay for skating according to bios I've read... ....and has always trained with Delilah .... SO she left the springs without him...he had no partner..then Scimeca moved there and they started training but knierm had a hernia procedure so it delayed training in the beginning...so this S/K team has more training to do and he is healed but it put them a little behind... I guess it was meant to be because I love the S/K team and hope popst(sp,,,,these names! finds a partner as well.....

I agree though that Poapt is a beautiful skater like caitlyn y.....in fact does anyone know why Y/R withdrew from FS? is there an injury....I hope everything is ok?

They never planned to skate it.
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    Then why did they enter?

Bottom Line: Many of these posts are reactive and yes a little uneducated on what actually happens when the grand Prix competitions are awarded- However- clearly there are teams that have been training this Summer and teams that have been coasting.

You can't tell me that skaters as experienced as Yankowskis and Reagan can't pull their sh*t together and skate two programs that at least show the judges the direction they are taking artistically when skaters such as S/K who are also brand new together are pulling pretty strong scores in both events.

IMO you are either hungry for success or you aren't. It seems very clear to me who will be ready to compete Internationally and represent the US and frankly who isn't .

Remember all Grand Prix skaters are obligated to skate a short and a long in altitude during Champs Camp in a couple of weeks....
    Last edited by jdonavan; 07-28-2012 at 01:23 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    A star without a consistent triple jump

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post

It was NOT a combined event. They had to enter both events separately. SO if not planned to skate should not have entered I suppose....oh well NO team skates a super amazing long....right now it takes a few months to train those and everyone understands that so it would have been nice just to even see a program like what M/B skated all doubles given a look at the direction they were going...a little disappointing...but love where some of the other longs are going with the other senior and junior teams!

Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast