Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Liberty is right around the corner already. It always impresses me that new partnerships can form, elements prepared, and new programs can be developed in such a short time.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Some pairs should be debuting programs at Broadmoor Open next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochelle View Post
    The male was definitely (currently pairs partner-less) Tim LeDuc... not entirely sure about the female, but she looks/dresses like Carly Powers, who trains with the same coach as Tim... so perhaps they attended together for the experience, esp. if her brother and pairs partner David was not available.
    Thanks. I should have recognized Tim! BTW, I found the same Indiana local news clip about the Pairs Camp posted on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFWYZr1uChk

Quote Originally Posted by Clarice View Post
    Whoa, quick trip for Tim, then, since he was testing in Iowa on the 8th!
    I assume he passed easily? I mentioned this in the U.S. Men's thread earlier -- LeDuc is registered to compete in the Senior Men's SP event at Liberty.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I assume he passed easily? I mentioned this in the U.S. Men's thread earlier -- LeDuc is registered to compete in the Senior Men's SP event at Liberty.
    Yes. No heroics, though - just satisfied the requirements of the test. Strong presentation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarice View Post
    Yes. No heroics, though - just satisfied the requirements of the test. Strong presentation.
    Biggest audience I've seen at a test session

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Some impressions from the "Skate For Hope" show this past Saturday that were posted in the event thread (IceNetwork is supposed to have on-demand video of the show at some point): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=83575:
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC View Post
    Caitlin [Yankowskas] and Josh [Reagan] looked pretty good together for not having performed anywhere before tonight. I'm not certain but their program could have been a modified version of what their SP will be this year (the element layout sure felt very SP-ish to me) but I can't remember the music choice. They did a nice throw, side by side 3T (Caitlin fell but the rink was smaller for this show and I think she rushed it), gorgeous death spiral, a pairs spin, and a few fun dancey type lifts throughout. I thought they looked great together although Josh sure looked a bit nervous! I spoke to Caitlin after the show for a bit and she confirmed that they were doing Skate Detroit later this summer but wasn't sure about the Indy Challenge yet. Anyone going to Detroit, make a note that Caitlin & Josh should be there!
    Mary Beth and Rockne skated a very cute number and look a lot more like a team now that they've had even more time together. I think their music was a Louis Armstrong medley.
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainTime View Post
    Mary Beth and Rocke have improved their twist with more height and the smaller details are falling into place. Cait and Josh sizzle. The eye contact and chemistry for a young team was surprising. Her back arch is divine in her lifts.
    Rockne Brubaker, Britney Simpson, and Tim LeDuc (plus ice dancers John & Sinead Kerr and Gilles/Poirier) are quoted in this article about the methods their teams use to maintain unison in side-by-side spins (and twizzles): Synchronicity: Teams work to maintain unison
    One tidbit that caught my eye:
    Marley and Brubaker have been taking tips from ice dancing to improve their step sequences.

"Incorporating knee bend into all your movements is a big part of ice dancing," Brubaker said. "We're working with Renée Roca this year, and that's something she's been focusing on. If you bend before you push, your partner will realize you're bending and you'll be together. Bend, bend, bend every time, and that really helps."
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Some impressions from the "Skate For Hope" show this past Saturday that were posted in the event thread (IceNetwork is supposed to have on-demand video of the show at some point): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=83575:

Rockne Brubaker, Britney Simpson, and Tim LeDuc (plus ice dancers John & Sinead Kerr and Gilles/Poirier) are quoted in this article about the methods their teams use to maintain unison in side-by-side spins (and twizzles): Synchronicity: Teams work to maintain unison
    One tidbit that caught my eye:
    Sounds encouraging for both M/B and Y/R. Question (if it can be answered) - What type of throw jump did Y/R do?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Sounds encouraging for both M/B and Y/R. Question (if it can be answered) - What type of throw jump did Y/R do?

more importantly...did he actually do a "pair" lift with her?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carriemarie View Post
    more importantly...did he actually do a "pair" lift with her?
    At Skate For Hope if I recall correctly... and if I'm incorrect full footage from the show be shown on IceNetwork somtime this summer ... they did a throw double in their program (not certain - I had a head in the way through part of it - but she had hang time in the air)... and no Group 3/4/5 pair lifts at all (other than a show-program lifted spin... basically a spinning platter lift). Just some lovely dance lifts.

They look to be at a point one would expect in the few months since they partnered up. Caitlin looks fit and ready to go. Notable chemistry. Caitlin is lovely as always, and Joshua had one of his weak-posture-days... so hopefully he polishes that up by the fall.

For the poster who thought thier program was a short program... the music was to "It's a Man's World" and it was choreographed in such a way (that even when modified for about 2/3 of the ice surface) that I highly doubt it's thier SP. Just a nice, hot exhibition.

I talked with Caitlin's mom and if I recall correctly and they're debuting at Skate Detroit, and undecided about Indy Challenge--but most likely won't enter there.

Stay tuned for the icenetwork video for Skate For Hope once it's available. And otherwise, give them time to develop.
    Last edited by Rochelle; 06-21-2012 at 02:04 AM. Reason: can't spell "footage"...

vCash
    reading in the forums, I must say skaters in the US or Canada are so lucky. If they need a new partner they are sure to find one. Even swapping partners is relatively often done.
    In Germany for example finding a new skating partner is an impossible quest.
    There are hardly any girls who are suitable for pairs as they are too tall, or just not slim enough. Many girls prefer to do singles, or trainers try to hang on to them for too long as they need them for money, not interested if their skater might excel more in pairs or dance. When our senior pair or dance skaters end their career after Sochi 2014 their won`t be much following up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by grandma View Post
    If they need a new partner they are sure to find one.
    This just isn't true. It may be MORE difficult for skaters in countries with smaller skating programs, but there are many pairs skaters who retire because they cannot find a partner, or who sit out seasons because they didn't find one. This includes high level, very qualified skaters (Caitlin Yankowskas won the national championship, and then sat out a season- not by choice it seems). Drew Meekins, though not as highly ranked as Caitlin, would probably love to hear how easy it is to find a partner (though I think after so many years looking, he is now retired)

And there are even more skaters who wish they could do pairs, but can't because there is no partner. The problems you note: too tall, too heavy, would rather do singles (pairs is kind of a black sheep in the US, sadly), coach won't tell them about opportunities that require a move/parent won't let them move (almost all pairs skaters need to move for a partnership) ALL exist here.

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Drew Meekins, though not as highly ranked as Caitlin, would probably love to hear how easy it is to find a partner .....
    When Meekins and Vlassov split, they were the reigning World Junior Champions, so he was most definitely ranked higher than Yankowskas when he became available.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    When Meekins and Vlassov split, they were the reigning World Junior Champions, so he was most definitely ranked higher than Yankowskas when he became available.
    I was thinking when he split with Paetsch more recently. But you are right- his search for her was long too.
    I think it is difficult to say how skaters at the junior level compare to those at the senior- but as reigning junior champ, he definitely had amazing promise to do well on the SGP and at nationals on the senior level.

I would say it is -easier- for a man to find a partner, but it still isn't easy at all. You don't want to skate with just anyone, finding the right partner for anyone is extremely difficult.

vCash
    I know it is`t easy anywhere, even in countries with larger skating communities... , but regarding that smaller countries have so much to loose if many good junior skaters stop skating, it is rubbish for the ISU to invest so much money in development programs and in due course the countries do not make anything out of it. Letting their skaters waste away, with a federation turning a blind eye and not interested in doing anything.
    At least in the US you have a pairs camp once in a while, and if you are a good skater you will mostly find someone again. I am sorry for Drew Meekins , as I like his skating very much. If someone does not find anybody it is often because the girl might be rather tall for pairs or the boys too small.
    We can all be thankful for icepartnersearch, otherwise it would be even bleaker for the european, specifically the german skaters.
    As good as it may be to start out as juniors, often the girls change very much with puberty, Paetsch ws one example Brynn Carmen another, Ashley cain the list can go on endlessly.
    Last edited by grandma; 06-21-2012 at 04:01 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochelle View Post
    At Skate For Hope if I recall correctly... and if I'm incorrect full footage from the show be shown on IceNetwork somtime this summer ... they did a throw double in their program (not certain - I had a head in the way through part of it - but she had hang time in the air)... and no Group 3/4/5 pair lifts at all (other than a show-program lifted spin... basically a spinning platter lift). Just some lovely dance lifts.

They look to be at a point one would expect in the few months since they partnered up. Caitlin looks fit and ready to go. Notable chemistry. Caitlin is lovely as always, and Joshua had one of his weak-posture-days... so hopefully he polishes that up by the fall.

For the poster who thought thier program was a short program... the music was to "It's a Man's World" and it was choreographed in such a way (that even when modified for about 2/3 of the ice surface) that I highly doubt it's thier SP. Just a nice, hot exhibition.

I talked with Caitlin's mom and if I recall correctly and they're debuting at Skate Detroit, and undecided about Indy Challenge--but most likely won't enter there.

Stay tuned for the icenetwork video for Skate For Hope once it's available. And otherwise, give them time to develop.
    FYI Davis/Ladwig competing short program this weekend...no "hot" show numbers for them...lol- Not showing up to Indy is a show of weakness from Caitlin/Josh IMO...

vCash
    FYI Davis/Ladwig competing short program this weekend...no "hot" show numbers for them...lol- Not showing up to Indy is a show of weakness from Caitlin/Josh IMO...
    Ummm...no real fandom from my end for either team, but this seems a bit presumptuous - or maybe D/L don;'t have a "hot" number to show.

vCash
    Yeah. I thought that Y/R were definitely going to Indy, reading in another thread their big goal this Summer was debuting both programs there. Maybe, they just want to stay home and do some more work. Or maybe they are confident about Skate Detroit ...

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Mark Ladwig tweeted this article link yesterday re. Florida pairs competing this weekend: http://www.news-press.com/article/20...-Chiller-event (Zhang/Bartholomay and the new team of Kayne/O'Shea are debuting 2 programs, I believe)

Ladwig also tweeted on June 19:
    I love using negative energy for positive means. Today's frown I channelled into three split triple twists. Lindsay & my first.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-23-2012 at 02:38 PM.

vCash
    Mark Ladwig tweeted this article link yesterday re. Florida pairs competing this weekend: http://www.news-press.com/article/20...-Chiller-event (Zhang/Bartholomay and the new team of Kayne/O'Shea are debuting 2 programs, I believe)

Ladwig also tweeted on June 19:
    Was Lindsey only capable of a split double-twist? Mark's tweet makes it sound like a breakthrough

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Was Lindsey only capable of a split double-twist? Mark's tweet makes it sound like a breakthrough
    I would think getting the timing for a triple twist for a new pair would be a breakthrough.
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer~ View Post
    I would think getting the timing for a triple twist for a new pair would be a breakthrough.
    True, but I was just racking my brain to recall if Davis/Leftheris did a 3twist ...

Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast