I <3 Kozuka
    vCash

"Split Couples" for GP Assignments

I don't see anywhere in the GP Announcement that "Split Couples" need to be submitted by Federation by the usual GP deadline; I'm not sure if newly formed partnerships will qualify, but I wanted to start a list of the skaters who would/might qualify for "Split Couple" status for the GP alternates list. (They always could decide it's too early to compete.)

Also, there are three different criteria for when a couple needed to place in the top 12 at Worlds to qualify for "Split Couple" status: two references to the two prior seasons, one to the past season, and one not limiting season. So far, at least we know that it applies to two prior seasons, based on the Samuelson/Bates split.

Gilles/Poirier, based on Crone/Poirier's 10th at 2011 Worlds
    Davis/Ladwig, based on Evora/Ladwig's 11th at 2011 Worlds

If season doesn't matter, then:
    ?/Zhang, based on Zhang/Zhang's 5th at 2010 Worlds

Are there any more in the works?
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Why does a Fedation need to know if a couple splits?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    I don't see anywhere in the GP Announcement that "Split Couples" need to be submitted by Federation by the usual GP deadline; I'm not sure if newly formed partnerships will qualify, but I wanted to start a list of the skaters who would/might qualify for "Split Couple" status for the GP alternates list. (They always could decide it's too early to compete.)

Also, there are three different criteria for when a couple needed to place in the top 12 at Worlds to qualify for "Split Couple" status: two references to the two prior seasons, one to the past season, and one not limiting season. So far, at least we know that it applies to two prior seasons, based on the Samuelson/Bates split.

Gilles/Poirier, based on Crone/Poirier's 10th at 2011 Worlds
    Davis/Ladwig, based on Evora/Ladwig's 11th at 2011 Worlds
    I can't believe you forgot to include Caitlin Yankowskas/Joshua Reagan (based on Yankowskas/Coughlin's 6th at 2011 Worlds), especially considering you'd mentioned her "split couples" status in the GP Pre-announcement thread.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Oh, duh, of course!
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FSWer View Post
    Why does a Fedation need to know if a couple splits?
    There are at least a few reasons:

1. The most important is that the Federations are the ones who submit the names of the teams to be eligible for Grand Prix selection, for championships, and for other international competitions.

2. In the United States, for example, if the team has been awarded envelope money, they don't receive payment after they've split up.

3. For Federations that provide training, housing, etc. to the skaters, if a couple splits because one is no longer skating, that skater stops getting those services, housing, etc. If a team splits and one or both of the skaters move to another rink or city, the Federation needs to make arrangements for them.

4. If there's a new team formed with a skater from another country, the Federations need to release them to allow them to skate for another country.

---------

Vanessa Crone is now confirmed to be teamed with Nikolaj Sorensen of Denmark. Since his last international competition for Denmark was Moscow Worlds, they could be a split couple, based on Crone/Poirier's 10th in Moscow, assuming that he gets/has gotten a release from the Danish Federation.

Peng/Zhang are also confirmed, and if there is not time limit on when Hao Zhang placed Top 12 with Dan Zhang, then they would qualify as a split couple.

vCash
    Any idea how the new couples (formed from splits) are sequenced on the alternates list?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    There's language in 7.6 of the 2011-12 GP announcement that says, "Split couples who were previously in the top 12 of a World Championship would be next on the list
    taking the points of the previous partner"

It isn't clear what "points" means. If it's the SB total score or World Championship total score or WS points or placement at Worlds, then they'd be comparing different rules/elements/values for at least two seasons. If it's based on the same team splitting -- example, Crone/Poirier this season, Samuelson/Bates last season -- it isn't clear how they would decide who gets the first.

Last year, the alternate list picks* were, based on the dates of the updated rosters:

29 August: Chock/Bates at Skate Canada (for Mysliveckova/Novak)
    30 August: Paul/Islam at Skate America (for Hoffmann/Zavozin)
    17 October: Gilles/Samuelson at CoC (for Monko/Khaliavin)
    17 October: Tobias/Stagniunas at Skate America (for Monko/Khaliavin)
    After 7 November: Chock/Bates at TEB (for Zahorski/Miart)

To me it looks like USFS could skip choosing Samuelson/Bates to replace Hoffmann/Zavozin, i.e., weren't force to use a host pick for them, and the same for Monko/Khaliavin in October.

I don't have to data at hand to compare S/B's SB from 2010 to C/Z's from 2011. It's possible that S/B had more "points", whatever that means, and that they went in alphabetical order (first Bates, then Samuelson), and then they gave C/B a second based on Chock's "points."

*The rest of the changes were host picks.

vCash
    ^
    Interesting. Thanks (as always) for your efforts!