Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

vCash
    Tax returns are not usually the source of entertainment.
    No they're not. Not exactly fun stuff, tax returns.

But they are a primary source of information for those folks who'd like to know how their contributions are being managed, where contributions ultimately go and how much of any organization's assets go directly to the project or beneficiaries intended. Understanding and reviewing the information available is something contributors to any not-for-profit might benefit from doing.

Our tax regulations make these records public specifically for that purpose - organizations that qualify for not-for-profit status benefit from protection from taxation and in return there is a greater degree of public transparency around their finances.

I don't see anyone in this thread treating the USFSA's returns as entertainment.
    Last edited by Willowway; 05-14-2012 at 03:05 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Visaliakid View Post
    Morry, I never said anything was wrong about what was contained within the three years worth of USFS Federal Tax Filings. They are public documents are they not? I decided to publish the links to them for anyone here to check them out if they so desire.

I did not suggest anything more than reviewing the filings if one desires. I did not suggest or even hint that the reportings were improper. You seem pretty damn defensive about it. But I guess we should not be surprised with that.
    Well, when someone suggests that we ought to take a look at the filings, usually there is some reason, red flag, or suspicion involved. But, since you apparently just suggested it because it is there, may I refer you to
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/ which you also might find interesting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Visaliakid View Post
    Morry, I never said anything was wrong about what was contained within the three years worth of USFS Federal Tax Filings. They are public documents are they not? I decided to publish the links to them for anyone here to check them out if they so desire.

I did not suggest anything more than reviewing the filings if one desires. I did not suggest or even hint that the reportings were improper. You seem pretty damn defensive about it. But I guess we should not be surprised with that.
    When a poster suggests that people review tax returns, it is not a streach to think that there may be something improper. I do not need to be defensive, since I have nothing to do with aministration or distribution of funds. However, I do not think that volenteers should be looking over their shoulder for outsider questions hinting at problems. If you are a US Figure Skating member, I suggest you write the Chair of the Committee and address your questions directly.

If there is something specific that should be questioned, then go for it. Continuing to encouage people to go on a search of tax returns make me question the goals of such postings.
    Morry Stillwell

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VALuvsMKwan View Post
    Too bad it isn't mlp Advanced Media - imagine what we might see!
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck
    It would be a lot more sparkly and snarky for sure.
    Yes, a little sparkle, glimmer and shine for sure.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Having worked for a charity, I can offer that disbursements might not be close to donations for some innocent reasons.

Donations vary from year to year. It's very bad for business (ie, makes your org look disorganized and poorly run) to fund programs one year, but not be able to fund them the next year.

So you don't give away everything you might be able to give away in year A because you want to KNOW you'll be able to match that level of funding next year.

Now - what are they doing with the other donations? They should be investing the vast majority of them. Not sure if that's something we can tell from a tax return.

There is a group...journal of philanthropy? that rates non-profits by the % of donations that go to overhead. Now, groups definitely mis-report so it's hard to get a clear picture. But it's a good guideline to go by.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    Having worked for a charity, I can offer that disbursements might not be close to donations for some innocent reasons. . . Now-what are they doing with the other donations? They should be investing the vast majority of them.
    If this refers back to the Memorial Fund, the donations are not disbursed. They are added to the fund's endowment. Scholarships are distributed out of the earnings. This is noted in the Fund's descriptive material, i.e., website, brochure, etc.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123