Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by apatinar View Post
    I really hope that this is not the case of another skater not having a transition plan after skating... At 32 - husband and father I guess he knows what he is doing financially to support his family...
    Given Mark's resume he'll be able to easily both work in shows and coach after he retires.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carriemarie View Post
    Zhao also won his first World title at 27 - to compare him to Mark is almost humorous.
    I was thinking strictly about comparing age, and the abilities of the body at a certain age to accomplish things. I wasn't comparing their skating histories which as you say, would be humorous.

Yes in Amanda's case jumps do matter, but they aren't everything. Pair skaters obviously achieve the majority of points from Pair elements, just ask Takahashi/Tran. Amanda was a big part of the huge TES score that the team received regardless of jumping skills. Throughout their career, Amanda and Mark seemed very consistent in their levels and also received generally high GOE scores. IMO I don't see this happening with Lindsay in 2 years.
    But, if Lindsay can do SBS jumps AND develop that polish that Amanda had, she will be in terrific shape going forward. We will see. It's not a given that it won't happen.

-------------

ETA - I just watched the the 2010 Indy Challenge LP again from D/L. Lindsay isn't a slouch in the lifts (although she has a way to go to compare to Amanda) and she can jump. I think more and more the potential is there.

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    I'm so encouraged to see that both Mark and Amanda are finding peace with their next endeavors after ending their partnership. I look forward to seeing Mark and Lindsay at the Indy Challenge (boy is THAT competition going to be fun this year! ) and hope for only great things for them. Lindsay is a great skater and I think this team has wonderful potential too. Good luck guys and you know I'm cheering for you!
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by apatinar View Post
    I just don't see how he hopes to make it to Sochi
    I know this is a wild and crazy thought, but the Olympics aren't the be-all and end-all for every skater. Maybe he just wants to keep skating and competing because he enjoys it.
    We live in an ageist society where everything is based on youth, but I hated being 18. I don't like teenagers any more now than I did then. I'm 49 now and there is no way that I'd go back to my teens and 20s - even if I knew what I know now, I don't want to go through all that again. I found it a very difficult time. - Buzz Osborne of the Melvins

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I know this is a wild and crazy thought, but the Olympics aren't the be-all and end-all for every skater. Maybe he just wants to keep skating and competing because he enjoys it.

This.

I loved Evora/Ladwig. Im glad he's going to continue competing. I hope the best for the new partnership. Looking forward to what they come up with.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crzesk8dad View Post
    Mark is a terrific guy, a real down to earth person, someone who, I hope, will continue to be associated with skating, long after he stops competing. But, he must feel that he has more competing to do. Sochi is two years away.

Lindsay is a great young lady. She comes from a good family. I have known her since she was a little pixie on the ice. She has great technical skills as well as excellent ice presence.

They will do will together and I wish them all the best in their new partnership.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC View Post
    I'm so encouraged to see that both Mark and Amanda are finding peace with their next endeavors after ending their partnership. I look forward to seeing Mark and Lindsay at the Indy Challenge (boy is THAT competition going to be fun this year! ) and hope for only great things for them. Lindsay is a great skater and I think this team has wonderful potential too. Good luck guys and you know I'm cheering for you!
    Quote Originally Posted by aemeraldrainc View Post
    This.

I loved Evora/Ladwig. Im glad he's going to continue competing. I hope the best for the new partnership. Looking forward to what they come up with.

vCash
    Not to mention they'd both get better exposure if they skate well at Nationals in an Olympic year. That in turn would translate into better professional opportunities for Mark (if he wants to go that route) and a chance to get the best partner available for Lindsay. With all this talk about US pairs not getting enough competitive experience, you'd think a new partnership would be a good thing. But nooo, they most likely won't be making the Sochi team, so might as well give it up preemtively.

vCash
    That seems fine as a 16 year old , but as a 32 year old married father who has already been to 1 Olympic Games I don't know..

vCash
    ^^ With all due respect, apatinar, why are you beating a dead horse? Do you know Mark or his wife? Have you ever skated eligibly and with notable success as a 32-year-old married father? How can you be the judge of Mark's passion and life choices? Are there strict, defined rules that everyone must follow in living their life, let alone juggling a skating career with marriage?

With his wife on board and with good prospects for continuing and great support from his coaching team, friends, peers, and family as well as from his former and current pairs partners, I say Congratulations, Mark! Keep going and best of luck to you, Lindsay, your wife and your family. You are a great competitor, a classy guy, and you possess a wonderful spirit and generosity, which makes your continued participation in this sport very much needed and welcome. Thanks for all your contributions.

ETA: Thanks as well to Amanda for how beautifully she graced the sport with Mark for so many years. Both Amanda and Mark are great role models for the sport of figure skating!
    Last edited by aftershocks; 05-07-2012 at 06:24 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    ETA: Thanks as well to Amanda for how beautifully she graced the sport with Mark for so many years. Both Amanda and Mark are great role models for the sport of figure skating!
    I totally agree! In my 12+ years of chronic competition volunteering, Mark has been the competitor who writes/delivers thank you notes to all of the competition chairs at Indy Challenge. Every year he competes there. He's just that kind of guy.

Likewise, prior to when he broke up with Amanda there wasn’t too much talk among fans about how his training/competing at age 32 with the responsibility of a wife/child/house/dog/whatever was a questionable decision. I don’t think there’s much reason to question it now that he has decided to continue on with a new partner.

Don’t forget, Mark has been competing at the Junior and Senior pairs level for longer than most of the “hyped-up-future-savior-of-singles-skating-starlet/star” competitors have even been skating. He knows what he’s doing. He's well aware of any financial, physical, and personal implications -- better than 99-99.9+% of the users on this board.

I look forward to watching them develop as a team, and wish the best for Amanda as well!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochelle View Post
    I totally agree! In my 12+ years of chronic competition volunteering, Mark has been the competitor who writes/delivers thank you notes to all of the competition chairs at Indy Challenge. Every year he competes there. He's just that kind of guy.

Likewise, prior to when he broke up with Amanda there wasn’t too much talk among fans about how his training/competing at age 32 with the responsibility of a wife/child/house/dog/whatever was a questionable decision. I don’t think there’s much reason to question it now that he has decided to continue on with a new partner.

Don’t forget, Mark has been competing at the Junior and Senior pairs level for longer than most of the “hyped-up-future-savior-of-singles-skating-starlet/star” competitors have even been skating. He knows what he’s doing. He's well aware of any financial, physical, and personal implications -- better than 99-99.9+% of the users on this board.

I look forward to watching them develop as a team, and wish the best for Amanda as well!
    If you are referring to Gracie Gold in your "blind Item", she has one thing Mark doesn't- A Gold National medal. Can we please stop hating on this girl.

(BTW Mark never competed at the Junior level.)

As much as we don't want to admit this to ourselves, these new partnerships now forming have a 2 year shelf life. I expect a mass exodus at the end of the 2014 Nats. I just hope that after the dust settles, there is young talent out there ready to take the helm for US Pair Skating.

vCash
    Lindsay Davis/Mark Ladwig have been added to USFS' International Selection Pool, along with Caitlin Yankowskas/Joshua Reagan.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carriemarie View Post
    If you are referring to Gracie Gold in your "blind Item", she has one thing Mark doesn't- A Gold National medal. Can we please stop hating on this girl.
    I'm referring to the several dozen skaters over the past decade or two, from many nations / ages / backgrounds / male & female / pairs & dance included, that some fans have crowned the 'next best thing' after competitively skating (say, starting at Juvenile qualifying regionals) only 5-8, maybe 10, years and then fizzle out for several different factors.

I'm not singling out Gracie... or anyone... and I agree it's very sad that you had to assume that I was, due to the attitudes of many in this forum.

I'm just pointing out the man has been in this sport for a much longer time the majority of everyone's favorite athletes still competing. Even if some fans wouldn't have made the same decision that's fine -- but it's safe to assume he's thought very carefully about this decision from all angles. Let him skate.
    Last edited by Rochelle; 05-10-2012 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Quote code fail...

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    I'm just pointing out the man has been in this sport for a much longer time the majority of everyone's favorite athletes still competing. Even if some fans wouldn't have made the same decision that's fine -- but it's safe to assume he's thought very carefully about this decision from all angles. Let him skate.
    ^^^

vCash

Thanks Rochelle, for sharing that information about Mark's thoughtfulness. Wiki indicates that Mark was a volunteer at the 2002 Winter Olympics, so he surely has a perspective on all the hard work that volunteers perform at competitions. ITA with the comments in your post!

In addition (in response to carriemarie), according to Wiki, Mark, previous to forming a partnership with Amanda, competed in pairs for the University of Delaware with two other partners. He placed 5th twice at the U.S. Championships Novice level with Keri Blakinger. Apparently, when he began working with Amanda in 2002, they started out together at the senior level.

I would like to add, Rochelle, that I did not take it that you were singling out anyone in particular with your reference to "hyped" younger skaters as "future saviors." In fact, I think you bring up an important subject. There are so many skaters who don't make it to the senior level (for a variety of reasons -- sometimes they don't have a desire to continue skating, or perhaps their talent level has peaked or there are financial and personal reasons, or in the case of pairs and dance competitors, they may not be able to find another partner if they lose their original partner). And even once skaters reach seniors, there are so many obstacles to their being able to advance to the top level and compete internationally.

Gracie is one of the talented, "lucky" young skaters who has wonderful potential. She found it within herself to overcome some early challenges and to excel after a difficult first season as a Junior at the regional level. Her hard work led to the spotlight singling her out. Fortunately for Gracie, at this point at least, with a supportive team of adults around her and her own hard work, desire, and ability to manage the pressure, she may be able to continue improving (and that's the key "continue improving"). Many of those who "hype" Gracie now will be the first to "dump" on her when she inevitably goes through a rough patch or fails to meet high expectations. I'm happy for Caroline Zhang that she has found it within herself to overcome the early "hype" showered on her, and to rediscover what made her love skating, and to find the strength, toughness and courage to continue trying. I feel the same about Mao Asada. And I hope Mirai will find herself and either rediscover joy in her skating too, or gain joy in pursuing other goals, if that is what she desires.

I hope that all the currently over-analyzed young skaters who are the focus of intense scrutiny will be able to overcome that extra pressure and concentrate on developing their skating to the best of their ability (whether that means medals, Olympic participation, Olympic glory, the high of competing consistently well and achieving goals, or just the satisfaction of great effort expended).

ITA with you Rochelle, that Mark has enough experience to understand all the angles, the hard work, the sacrifices, the pitfalls and the joys of competing. Again, best of luck to Mark and Lindsay!
    Last edited by aftershocks; 05-10-2012 at 04:20 PM.

vCash
    I'll miss Mark & Amanda, but I'm glad he found a partner and I wish them all the best

vCash
    Any summer comps planned?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    Any summer comps planned?
    I haven't heard yet... perhaps Indy Challenge (Aug. 3-5) if they're ready? Since Davis/Ladwig were invited to 2012 NHK Trophy (due to the 'split couples' provision), they will be at Champs Camp in August.

ETA that the article linked at the beginning of this thread stated that "Davis and Ladwig plan to compete at the Indy Pairs Challenge Aug. 3-5..."
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-28-2012 at 05:29 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Last edited by carriemarie; 05-28-2012 at 09:00 PM.

vCash
    @LadwigMark tweeted earlier today:
    "Pair simulation @EllentonIce Friday at 1 pm. Lindsay [Davis] and I debut our short program! Come one--come all."

Re-posting from the Program Music/Choreographers thread in GSD:
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    From what Mark Ladwig tweeted, I think this is the music he and Lindsay Davis are using for their short program:

Beethoven's 5 Secrets - One Republic (Cello/Orchestral Cover) - The Piano Guys
    Cindy Stuart was mentioned in the IN article (linked in post #1 of this thread) as the choreographer with whom Davis/Ladwig planned to collaborate on their programs this season.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast