Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Mark Ladwig has paired up with Lindsay Davis in Florida

Article with quotes from both of them and coach Lyndon Johnston: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Best of luck to them - I can't remember seeing Davis when she was with Themi. Thoughts?
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    There was some initial discussion about Davis/Ladwig in the US Pairs thread when the news first trickled out late last month: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...83#post3556983

They seem like they could be physically well-matched, and I'll be interested to see how they develop together alongside the other senior pairs in Ellenton, FL (Zhang/Bartholomay, Kayne/O'Shea, Kemp/King).
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I wish them all the best, and I love Mark's classy comments re Amanda.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Mark is already 32 and she's only 20. His prospects don't look promising beyond Sochi while she could be searching for someone with whom she has a potential future for at least 1 more olympic cycle.. Oh well, I'ts her decision and good luck to both.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    even if he's just a transition partner for her, going from having no partner to one with plenty of international experience will probably/hopefully give her good experience and maybe a leg up for next time she is looking for a partner.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    When did Lindsay and Themi end their partnership? Is Themi still skating? Looks-wise, I was hoping he would partner with Caitlin Y. (even though I don't know how tall either one is).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LongTimeLurker View Post
    When did Lindsay and Themi end their partnership? Is Themi still skating?
    From the article:

"For Davis, who sat out the 2011-12 season after former partner Themi Leftheris retired late last summer, ..."

There was hearsay info that Leftheris had contacted Caitlin Yankowskas after his split with Davis (right before the 2011-12 qualifying season entry deadline, IIRC), but nothing came of it, obviously.

ETA that this was posted back in February 2012 in the US Pairs thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    Themi turned 'pro' recently-- he's skating on a cruise ship.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-04-2012 at 09:23 PM.

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    even if he's just a transition partner for her, going from having no partner to one with plenty of international experience will probably/hopefully give her good experience and maybe a leg up for next time she is looking for a partner.
    Exactly!
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    At this point, it appears to be "a leg up" for both Lindsay and Mark. I wish them success, and I look forward to seeing them in the new season.

I too applaud Mark for his giving tribute to Amanda in the linked article. I have fond memories of Evora/ Ladwig, and I hope Amanda feels good and at peace with what she accomplished in skating and happy moving forward to achieve other goals beyond skating.

Are there any pics of Lindsay or vids of her skating?

I hope Themi and Naomi Nari Nam are also doing well these days. It's great that so many skaters are finding opportunities aboard cruise ships. I once saw an excellent show (with a Hans Christian Andersen theme) aboard the Oasis of the Seas Royal Caribbean cruise ship (Michelle Kwan is one of the godmothers of that ship).

vCash
    Here's a (club?) competition warm-up video (uploaded Sept. 2011) in which Lindsay Davis and Themi Leftheris land side-by-side triple loops in unison: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODC-4wEIktg

There are several D&L videos on youtube (including from Indy Challenge), searchable under Davis & Leftheris.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    At this point, it appears to be "a leg up" for both Lindsay and Mark. I wish them success, and I look forward to seeing them in the new season.

I too applaud Mark for his giving tribute to Amanda in the linked article. I have fond memories of Evora/ Ladwig, and I hope Amanda feels good and at peace with what she accomplished in skating and happy moving forward to achieve other goals beyond skating.

Are there any pics of Lindsay or vids of her skating?

I hope Themi and Naomi Nari Nam are also doing well these days. It's great that so many skaters are finding opportunities aboard cruise ships. I once saw an excellent show (with a Hans Christian Andersen theme) aboard the Oasis of the Seas Royal Caribbean cruise ship (Michelle Kwan is one of the godmothers of that ship).
    Not sure how Lindsay is a leg up for Mark.

Amanda was (Please don't go through the exhaustive jump issues) the best overall female pair skater in the US. Lindsay has HUGE skates to fill.

This to me is a final gasp of air from Ladwig and will end up being a resume builder for Lindsay.

vCash
    I meant no disrespect to Amanda in any way. I mean "leg up" for Mark in the sense that he was without a partner and still wanted to skate. Well, he now has a partner (albeit, he's starting over with a new partner and all that entails), so he's at the least "a leg up" from where he was when he became partnerless.

I don't recall ever seeing Lindsay Davis skate, so I'm not comparing her with Amanda. What Mark and Amanda achieved together will never be forgotten, and it was fitting and classy of Mark to acknowledge that in the article announcing his new partnership.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carriemarie View Post
    Not sure how Lindsay is a leg up for Mark.

Amanda was (Please don't go through the exhaustive jump issues) the best overall female pair skater in the US. Lindsay has HUGE skates to fill.

This to me is a final gasp of air from Ladwig and will end up being a resume builder for Lindsay.
    Well, IMO, the jumps issue should be considered if you are trying to rank skaters. I would say that Amanda has polish, extension and could be considered the best ... if you don't consider SBS jumps. Lindsay could bring the potential for higher points to the team due to being a better jumper. Just the way CoP works.

Zhao was 36 years old while winning gold in Vancouver. Mark might have a few years left. Let's see what happens ...

ETA - I read Sylvia's article. It looks like they already are doing the double twist quite easily, and their throw technique is surprisingly similar. Looks promising.
    Last edited by olympic; 05-05-2012 at 02:36 PM.

vCash
    I really hope that this is not the case of another skater not having a transition plan after skating... At 32 - husband and father I guess he knows what he is doing financially to support his family...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by apatinar View Post
    I really hope that this is not the case of another skater not having a transition plan after skating... At 32 - husband and father I guess he knows what he is doing financially to support his family...
    Mark is a terrific guy, a real down to earth person, someone who, I hope, will continue to be associated with skating, long after he stops competing. But, he must feel that he has more competing to do. Sochi is two years away.

Lindsay is a great young lady. She comes from a good family. I have known her since she was a little pixie on the ice. She has great technical skills as well as excellent ice presence.

They will do will together and I wish them all the best in their new partnership.
    Happy Skating!

Crzesk8dad

vCash
    This is great news for Mark. I am not familiar with Lindsay but from reading this thread and from the article she sounds like a terrific choice and also a talented young lady.

I wish them both the best of luck next season.

vCash
    I just don't see how he hopes to make it to Sochi with Yankowskas coming back, Marley/Brubaker & Denney/Coughlin... I mean, no one would have thought Evora/Ladwig had a real shot at making the Olympic team, but I think all the stars aligned just right for them and they had already been together for quite some time already.. I don't think that stars can align 2 Olympic seasons in a row..but if Mark knows what he is doing ,wants to continue competing and can financially support his family in his 30s then more power to him..

vCash
    At the end of the article, Ladwig says, "We have to find that new balance between the things that make Lindsay comfortable competing, and then the way I'm used to competing." I can't recall having seen articles about new pairs discuss this, but its importance can't be overestimated.

In general, some skaters slow down in competition, some speed up their timing; some get tense, some get crazy, some start singing off-key and loudly; some need to do every.element on the 20m warmups, some think it's harmful to do every element, some like to just get their knees moving, etc. While some of these may sound easy to compromise, it can be tricky when one person's confidence is based on executing every element during the 20m warmup and the other person's confidence is based on a low-key warmup. It's easier to deal with a partner's personalty changes if one knows in advance, but it can still be disconcerting when a normally steady person starts snapping or becomes goofy loosey-goosey. And the tendency to speed up/slow down timing is very, very difficult to deal with - and the only way to rehearse it is to compete, compete, compete: that pressure can't be truly replicated outside of major competitive situations with something at stake. For new pairs, that's essentially Indy, Sectionals, and Nationals.

Ladwig has a good head on his shoulders and the fact that he is sufficiently aware of the difficulty in meshing the behaviors/cognitions/attitudes that make skaters comfortable in competition suggests that he and Davis might be able to compensate well for this phenomenon, but more than that, his meta-analysis says a great deal about Ladwig himself. He has long been a valuable contributor to various USFSA committees and Governing Council, with well-articulated and insightful thoughts, and I certainly hope that he remains involved as his life eventually moves away from the competitive arena.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Well, IMO, the jumps issue should be considered if you are trying to rank skaters. I would say that Amanda has polish, extension and could be considered the best ... if you don't consider SBS jumps. Lindsay could bring the potential for higher points to the team due to being a better jumper. Just the way CoP works.

Zhao was 36 years old while winning gold in Vancouver. Mark might have a few years left. Let's see what happens ...

ETA - I read Sylvia's article. It looks like they already are doing the double twist quite easily, and their throw technique is surprisingly similar. Looks promising.
    Zhao also won his first World title at 27 - to compare him to Mark is almost humorous.

Yes in Amanda's case jumps do matter, but they aren't everything. Pair skaters obviously achieve the majority of points from Pair elements, just ask Takahashi/Tran. Amanda was a big part of the huge TES score that the team received regardless of jumping skills. Throughout their career, Amanda and Mark seemed very consistent in their levels and also received generally high GOE scores. IMO I don't see this happening with Lindsay in 2 years.

I support all new teams that are focused on longevity and helping the US pair program flourish. I think the top two US teams are building momentum and will be crawling up the ladder in the next two seasons. Best of luck to all of them!
    Last edited by carriemarie; 05-05-2012 at 10:02 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast