Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

vCash
    I'm just happy they've made an announcement finally.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkFeathers View Post
    At least the Skate America coverage on NBC is in real time. At least, it was last year. The only annoying bit was switching between the Ice Network stream, and the NBC broadcast. I wonder which events NBC will focus on this year.
    If Johnny or Evan show up, I have a good idea....
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

vCash
    nevermind
    Last edited by sus2850; 05-05-2012 at 12:17 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    If Johnny or Evan show up, I have a good idea....
    Oh, I'm almost half-convinced that they'll assign them both to SA. Because what a hype machine that would be

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Who's Gregoire and why is he kowtowing/pandering for Skate America of all things?

Oh and will there be a shuttle?
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Christine Gregoire is the lame duck (not running for re-election) Governor of Washington State. I believe the poster was insinuating that she was somehow involved in browbeating someone into giving SA to WA State again. Although I'm not really sure.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy View Post
    How many extra bags of stuff do you take home with you when you go to SA?

If you must know, I actually don't buy that much stuff--I just like the experience of shopping even if I don't end up buying anything. Some people hike in the wilderness--I like to wander around urban environments or faux urban environments or aisles inside big box stores with my mocha latte. That said, I have my usual list of stuff that I buy when I cross the border (i.e. eggs, tuna fish, pop, crackers, english muffins, condensed sweentened milk, bottled water, coffee, toiletries, etc). And as I will be here for a few days, my duty free limits are higher. And I still have my unused gift card from Kohl's...

And last time I attended SA, I got free bars of soap. If the opportunity arises again (hint, hint), I will take!

But I will say this--American grocery bags are so much bigger and sturdier! Great for taking out the garbage. And they give you lots--they don't skimp out like us Canadian cheapskates who hide behind the environment movement (looking at you, Loblaws!).

I was planning on going to SA regardless of the location (except Pheonix!)--that I save on airfare is a nice bonus.

As for shuttles, a lot of the hotels have area shuttles. But not many of them are 24-hours. Not sure they would be able to pick people up at the end of the night.

moving right along
    vCash
    Seattle Times article re: 2012 SA

Gov. Chris Gregoire was scheduled to attend but did not. Agosto, a Chicago native now living in Lacey, will serve as the event's honorary chairman. Agosto, out of competition and now a coach, is a seven-time Skate America medalist.

The highest attendance figures achieved in 31 past Skate America competitions were posted in Washington: 29,477 in Everett (2008) and 28,644 in Spokane (2002). Spokane also hosted the U.S. championships in 2010 and 2007.

vCash
    From the article:

ShoWare has a capacity of 3,940.
    That is small!

moving right along
    vCash
    Yes, it is a tiny venue compared with Ontario's glitzy arena. SilverFox has been there a couple of times for ice shows. She isn't sure that people will be able to walk around the whole perimeter of the arena. Hence, the blocked off end zone to the right of the judges. Maybe AJ can fill us in on that.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by minignome View Post
    You likely won't. West coast events (if there is any live coverage), tend to start early so they can counter to the east coast folks who don't like to be inconvenienced by bedtimes. Then, they tape delay them on the west coast so that we have to stay up late to see an event that's been over for 3 hours
    I did say it was all about me.

East coasters stop whining. Go when an event is close and buy a subscription to either Icenetwork or Universal sports online for those that aren't. The subscription is waaaaaaay less then tickets, hotel, food, etc., and they cover the entire season's events. Skating can be watched if you really want to watch. I manage to see all the GP events (except those in Asia broadcast in the middle of the night and that's my choice because I don't get up to watch), Europeans, Worlds, Russian nationals, US nationals...all for less than the price of one ticket. I'd go to a live event if it were close and convenient, but when it's not, I don't worry about it.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    From the article:

That is small!

Told you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyNit View Post
    Yes, it is a tiny venue compared with Ontario's glitzy arena. SilverFox has been there a couple of times for ice shows. She isn't sure that people will be able to walk around the whole perimeter of the arena. Hence, the blocked off end zone to the right of the judges. Maybe AJ can fill us in on that.
    Well, I could walk around the perimeter when I was there to watch hockey but this may be a different story. I do remember that the concessions were good. Many different types of beer and fresh roast beef sandwiches. But yeah, small.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maatTheViking View Post
    I think Kent not being exciting might be a bit of an understatement
    They did host Cirque du Soleil in a big tent in the Boeing parking lot for one show. (I don't remember which one, because I thought it was a snooze.) That's about as exciting as it gets there.

If the host hotel Hilton is by the airport, there are plenty of airport hotels in the area, with shuttles to and from the airport where there is light rail (LINK) into downtown Seattle for $2.75 each way, and it's relatively quick. Alas, by then, free downtown bus service should be gone. For anyone who wants to rent a car, there are plenty to be had at Seatac.

manhn, you're forgetting the two outlet malls north of Seattle. Wheeeee! for the $400 customs allowance for 48 hours out of Canada!
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Just got my tickets.....they are very cheep for row #3. $125 plus "fees" I wasnt even going due to the cost of Worlds next year but since it is a short drive away from Spokane and the nearby hotels are cheep, I figured I might as well.....(BTW, they are using a sane ordering technique...you can pick your seat......thankfully.)
    Miki, Please come!
    Chris

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nikjil View Post
    Yet another event I'm not going to. Does USFSA hate the East Coast? This is getting ridiculous.
    East coast will get Nats2014 before Olympics.....you heard it here first.
    I have spoken.

vCash
    BTW, If you want your tickets tonight, the three letter secret code just MIGHT be the abbreviation for the United States of America. Expires at Midnight....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    Surprise, surprise: west coast. Again.
    I know, isn't it great? We totally rock!
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    On NO! Yes, once again I am famous....look for me 23 seconds into the 30 second promotional video...there goes Davis and White...but who is that shadowy figure in the front row seat, next to the railing...indeed, the only front row seat in the section...the seat that all the skaters and coaches who come up from the underworld , past the railing, have to walk by....yes, its the old Coyote.....:biggrin:
    All aligations that I tried to grab Alissa and Carolina are totally.....uh.....what did your president Clinton say....plausable deniability?....yeah, something like that....

Title-less
    vCash
    So...how do you get to Kent by flight? Fly into Seattle? And then what do I do?

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast