Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    'Toto, I don't think we're talking skating anymore'

But, anyway, the answer may well be 'yes' ... to which thought you'll have to guess.

vCash
    Kudos to the arena for showing the camera and judge placements on the chart.

I had a great time in Everett, and I'm looking forward to Kent.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Skatefan View Post
    YES!!!!!!
    I've been to this arena for hockey games and it's a tiny but very nice arena. Both times I was there I was thinking that it would be PERFECT for Skate America.
    It's all AJ Skatefan's fault!!!!!!!
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post

And sk9tingfan, I believe it was you who complained about the "jacking up" or hotel costs once someone got wind of the ability to make money in Omaha. Did you do cost comparisons with the type of room available or anything else? There are also hotels/inns within 1 mile or slightly more that are less than $109 per night. Some even $79.00 a night. I know - I did a search for the dates of the event and downtown hotels/motels.
    Actually, I did for Kent, and yes there are very affordable hotel rates very near by the venue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nikjil View Post
    Yet another event I'm not going to. Does USFSA hate the East Coast? This is getting ridiculous.
    Don't think it's hate, they just don't care about half their fans. Few events in years, no TV coverage of major events (this applies to all coasts, but it's really bad when you can't watch OR go). They want us to take up other interests. I'm doing that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle88 View Post
    I'm excited, but am starting to feel guilty about all the events on the West Coast lately. :/ Seattle is one of my favorite cities, though, so I'm excited! (Though I know the even is not actually in Seattle proper.)
    East Coaster here - don't feel guilty, enjoy it. I am disappointed, naturally, because I haven't been to an event in years. But there are other fun ways to spend what would have been my skating dollar if the USFSA doesn't want it.

vCash
    One thing I will say to those saying that one reason for the supposed lack of bidding on events is that skating doesn't bring in the money it used to... Skating didn't always bring in the money it used to. Somehow up until the past five, maybe ten years, Nationals made the rounds of the country pretty evenly. Particularly during the pre-Nancy/Tanya years. There were fewer arenas in those days because every dinky town didn't have one. While Nationals is still a big show and needs a decent sized place, Skate America could be in a lot of places, size-wise. I'd love to know the truth of the "nobody bids" story. Is it true, and if so, why.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I would love to go to Washington for an event because they sound welll run and well attended. Alas, my work schedule has no room for major vacation travel in the 4Q. After last year's awful attendance, I am just glad they found a taker that might break that spell.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    It's terrific to have an event in your backyard, but there are non-stops from NYC to Seattle that would take about the same time it takes multiple flights to get to some East Coast towns, or Amtrak to get to Williamsport + the bus to Lake Placid. Also, the tickets in the Kent arena are well-priced and the hotels are cheaper than they would be in many East Coast locations. I know some folks don't like flying but hopefully there is a bright side for other NYers.

garden freak
    vCash
    Just for fun, I checked the air fares from Mpls to Seattle and they were't too bad. Apparently Delta has some competition for people going to Seattle and there are some non stop flights! Who knew? Ticket prices are reasonable too. Looks like a possibility.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizziebeth View Post
    Just for fun, I checked the air fares from Mpls to Seattle and they were't too bad. Apparently Delta has some competition for people going to Seattle and there are some non stop flights! Who knew? Ticket prices are reasonable too. Looks like a possibility.
    Yes major airlines have non stop flights to Seattle from major cities in the U.S. And Kent is not too far to the airport. Kent is, however, kind of far from the middle of Seattle and is not that exciting of a place. If people want to do some Seattle sightseeing, I'd advise tacking on a couple of days.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Skatefan View Post
    . Kent is, however, kind of far from the middle of Seattle and is not that exciting of a place. .
    I think Kent not being exciting might be a bit of an understatement

vCash
    Kent is very close to the airport and the Link Light Rail System, so an easy ride to Downtown. It is also close to Seattle's HOOOOGE mall, Southcenter. Also, the scariest Wal-Mart I've ever been to.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    I need to find a way to a Dick's Drive-In while I'm there. I remember their burgers fondly from my trip to Seattle.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    Kent is very close to the airport and the Link Light Rail System, so an easy ride to Downtown. It is also close to Seattle's HOOOOGE mall, Southcenter. Also, the scariest Wal-Mart I've ever been to.
    How many extra bags of stuff do you take home with you when you go to SA?

vCash
    SA in Ontario? Not too far for me. Just one hour by plane.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    I need to find a way to a Dick's Drive-In while I'm there.
    Sounds naughty.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I like events in the EST zone because they are most convenient for me to watch. DON'T YOU PEOPLE UNDERSTAND IT'S ALL ABOUT ME! Now, I'll have to stay up past midnight.
    You likely won't. West coast events (if there is any live coverage), tend to start early so they can counter to the east coast folks who don't like to be inconvenienced by bedtimes. Then, they tape delay them on the west coast so that we have to stay up late to see an event that's been over for 3 hours

vCash
    I have a pretty good idea of where I'll be staying, etc.
    I won't be able to finalize my plans until Monday, though.

vCash
    At least the Skate America coverage on NBC is in real time. At least, it was last year. The only annoying bit was switching between the Ice Network stream, and the NBC broadcast. I wonder which events NBC will focus on this year.
    Last edited by PinkFeathers; 05-04-2012 at 11:22 PM. Reason: clarity

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast