Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Amazon.com phishing email

Have received 2 bogus emails allegedly from amazon.com. They state a successful cancellation of my order. Of course, it's an order I've not made. The community help on Amazon reminds you not to open any links and suggests you forward the email to Amazon.com and to also change your password.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I got one of those yesterday--when you hover over the link it clearly doesn't go to Amazon. I forwarded it to them.

Weird..I had a similar experience last week with my Sears Mastercard, though they had a message up almost instantly saying it hadn't come from them. I guess not enough people are falling for "You have won the lottery" and Nigerian wire fraud scams any more...

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I have a number of e-mail accounts and between them I have received about 874 of these from amazon! Plus about the same amount from "youtube" about how my video has been approved (and another about my video being moved to the top of the list or something...) The moral of this story? Spam is spam. And don't judge an e-mail from its sender.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I got the same kind of e-mail from supposed Pay Pal, saying that my transaction of 757.00 would show up in the next few days. Like a fool, I clicked on the first link. But it went to "Page Not Found." I immediately did a full system scan. After that came up clear, I went to my bank and stuff from a secure pc and made sure nothing had disappeared. All is fine thank goodness.

vCash
    Thank you for posting about this. I'll keep an eye out.

vCash
    Thank you for posting this. Just found an email in the account I use for amazon purchases.
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatfoote View Post
    I got the same kind of e-mail from supposed Pay Pal, saying that my transaction of 757.00 would show up in the next few days. Like a fool, I clicked on the first link. But it went to "Page Not Found." I immediately did a full system scan. After that came up clear, I went to my bank and stuff from a secure pc and made sure nothing had disappeared. All is fine thank goodness.
    I just had someone hack my PP account and buy $119.88 worth of USPS postage to Russia. I got an alert email and I thought it was one of many scams, but logged into my account anyways. There it was!!! I called PP immediately and reported it as fraud, voided the transaction and changed my password.

Thank god the scammers tried to do it on my credit card, not my bank account, which is linked to the account! The charge hasn't shown up on my credit card, not even as a reversal, so I must've caught it in time before they processed it.

vCash
    I've been getting a ton of spam texts about Walmart gift cards recently - has this been happening to anyone else?

vCash
    I got two of the amazon ones yesterday--what's wrong with people anyway?
    "Me, cutie/chicken, the egg cup, I am the hammer of my spoon!"--Jen_Faith translation

vCash
    Yep. Texts from "Wal-Mart", "Best Buy", and far more obviously buzzard like "Gift Cards Central" texts have been trickling in over the last couple of months.

Also the usual stream of faked Pay Pal and Bank of America (my main credit card) phishes ... all obvious. I just move them to junk or keep them there.

Though this is commonplace for me, I don't fall for it, and I don't worry [much] about hacking, I am incensed over these vultures.

This sh*t obviously works, fooling some people -- most likely those who have less protection against online fraud -- and stealing just as blatantly as an armed home invasion robbery ... before deleting their accounts, scurrying into the abyss, and then creating their next to dent (perhaps ruin) some more innocent people's finances.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    I've been getting a ton of spam texts about Walmart gift cards recently - has this been happening to anyone else?
    I haven't received any Walmart spam!!!

I have been getting spam from about four different banks, two of which I use. One of those had the subject line of using my account inapprorpriately...and I had done a transaction due to a misunderstanding which I was concerned about. I ignored the e-mail because I normally don't get e-mails from this bank and figured out if I had really done something wrong, they could have phoned me or sent me a letter. It seems my error was not a big deal, it was just considered a temporary loan I guess and interest covered (or will cover soon) the amount of that transaction.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    I just had someone hack my PP account and buy $119.88 worth of USPS postage to Russia. I got an alert email and I thought it was one of many scams, but logged into my account anyways. There it was!!! I called PP immediately and reported it as fraud, voided the transaction and changed my password.

Thank god the scammers tried to do it on my credit card, not my bank account, which is linked to the account! The charge hasn't shown up on my credit card, not even as a reversal, so I must've caught it in time before they processed it.
    Ugh, this is scary!

vCash
    Just got one yesterday purporting to be my bill from Comcast, which is my internet provider. I'm a bit steamed that their abuse department doesn't think to filter out (or at least mark as potentially dangerous) messages that include "Comcast" in the subject line that come in hops via a .ru email. I could see that when I looked at the long header, but it would have been really easy for someone to click on the purported bill image.

vCash
    I got the WalMart/Best Buy one; through something allegedly connected with my YouTube account.
    I "X"ed it.

vCash
    I sometimes get a few days worth of phone calls, several times a day, with a lady saying "this is an important message from card services..." They go on to offer lower percentage rates and stuff and to just stay on the line. It comes from dozens of differnt phone numbers and sometimes a really weird "name" that is something line 20 letters long and looks more like a password or something. It's always the same lady with that same damned recording. As soon as I hear her, I hang up, if I even answer it to start with. Often it ends up on my answering machine. Sometimes it says "private caller" and I answer, cause I have one sis who calls that it says that. Again, as soon as I hear that lady's voice and the recording, I hang up!

vCash
    I sometimes get a few days worth of phone calls, several times a day, with a lady saying "this is an important message from card services..." They go on to offer lower percentage rates and stuff and to just stay on the line. It comes from dozens of differnt phone numbers and sometimes a really weird "name" that is something line 20 letters long and looks more like a password or something. It's always the same lady with that same damned recording. As soon as I hear her, I hang up, if I even answer it to start with. Often it ends up on my answering machine. Sometimes it says "private caller" and I answer, cause I have one sis who calls that it says that. Again, as soon as I hear that lady's voice and the recording, I hang up!
    That scam always pisses me off. I've been known to hold to speak to a live person and ask which card he or she is calling about. They never know.

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    I've been getting some of those lately - the phone number shows up (usually as a local one) but the "name" is a series of numbers and letters that fills the phone screen.

My problem with those "recording" type of calls is that often you can't just hang up and have it disconnect - if you pick the phone up again, they are still talking away! Where there's a human being I can somewhat rudely suggest that they remove my number from their calling list - that doesn't work with the recording
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    I got 2 and one from Best Buy. I forwarded them to ATT spam, and haven't gotten any more. I don't have a text plan, so I have to pay by the text. So far I haven't been charged for spam.

I get so many emails from Amazon that I don't open many of them, as long as I get my stuff.

vCash
    I sometimes get a few days worth of phone calls, several times a day, with a lady saying "this is an important message from card services..."
    Ah yes, our good friend "Rachel" from Cardholder Services calls once again. Despite million-dollar fines from the FTC, she and "Stacey" are still at it.
    http://moneyland.time.com/2012/04/06...-just-go-away/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Ah yes, our good friend "Rachel" from Cardholder Services calls once again. Despite million-dollar fines from the FTC, she and "Stacey" are still at it.
    http://moneyland.time.com/2012/04/06...-just-go-away/
    I've never had the woman on the recording identify herself by a name. But I do know that I can recognize her voice as soon as the recording starts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast