Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulaski73 View Post
    I mean, I hope Audrey and Joe and Brianna and Taylor both get JGP's. With Simpson/Blackmer and Pfund/Reiss aging out after this season and Aaron/Settlage and Denney/Frazier out the next, USFSA needs to start pushing their younger teams and stop investing in teams like Oltmanns/Santillan.
    There's no point in investing in young teams without potential. I agree in investing in the younger teams, but how about only if they have potential.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by johndockley92 View Post
    There's no point in investing in young teams without potential. I agree in investing in the younger teams, but how about only if they have potential.
    Please share your criteria in determining potential, and at what stage in a skater's individual pairs experience - or the life of that pair partnership - do you demand this "potential" to be shown. I'm genuinely curious, and not asking in a sarcastic manner.

How does one quantify potential and where do you draw the line of potential vs. no-potential, instead of the mind set of 'well they really lack in these areas compared to last season's competitors - but those are areas that can be developed/polished/improved in 1-3 years'?

Considering the US only had 11 Junior Pairs teams actually show up to compete at Sectionals last year... if we have the resources to support all/most of them... why not?

The US Figure Skating monitoring at the summer competitions seems to provide plenty of opportunity for new teams, and Novice teams that have moved up, to show who may be most prepared for fall international assignments. Due to the US-musical-chairs-of-partners, injuries, etc. it's impossible to know who will honestly even still be skating together by the fall. I have no problem with our federation supporting those who have already competed in nationals -- regardless of what 'potential' a fan, or even some high ranking official, may feel that pair has.
    Last edited by Rochelle; 05-31-2012 at 06:52 PM. Reason: typo - wrong tense.

I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's certainly frozen over.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochelle View Post
    -- regardless of what 'potential' a fan, or even some high ranking official, may feel that pair has.
    I don't know whether I'd qualify the original poster as either a fan or an official. I'd probably call him "some random schmoe on the internet."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochelle View Post
    Please share your criteria in determining potential, and at what stage in a skater's individual pairs experience - or the life of that pair partnership - do you demand this "potential" to be shown. I'm genuinely curious, and not asking in a sarcastic manner.

How does one quantify potential and where do you draw the line of potential vs. no-potential, instead of the mind set of 'well they really lack in these areas compared to last season's competitors - but those are areas that can be developed/polished/improved in 1-3 years'?

Considering the US only had 11 Junior Pairs teams actually show up to compete at Sectionals last year... if we have the resources to support all/most of them... why not?

The US Figure Skating monitoring at the summer competitions seems to provide plenty of opportunity for new teams, and Novice teams that have moved up, to show who may be most prepared for fall international assignments. Due to the US-musical-chairs-of-partners, injuries, etc. it's impossible to know who will honestly even still be skating together by the fall. I have no problem with our federation supporting those who have already competed in nationals -- regardless of what 'potential' a fan, or even some high ranking official, may feel that pair has.
    USFS has a limited amount of funds each year, why would they spend it on skaters without a bright future? That's a waste.

Potential can typically be seen, so there is no line to draw. Skaters without an "it" factor rarely do well.

So why fund those who won't even be around in a few years? Whether it be in the same partnership, or together. If they have staying power, then I understand funding.

Perhaps there is a place in the skating world for Joe D. However, I see none whatsoever for De la mora/ Wilson

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    Oh good, one more self-righteous legend in its own mind to...

PLONK.
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

vCash
    at things like that Johndockley...

The way I see it, I think the pecking order for initial JGP's goes like this:

Ladies:
    1.) Courtney Hicks
    2.) Vanessa Lam
    3.) Samantha Cesario
    4.) Ashley Cain
    5.) Hannah Miller

Men:
    1.) Farris
    2.) Brown
    3.) Chen
    4.) Choate
    5.) Kaugers

Pairs:
    1.) Denney/Frazier
    2.) Simpson/Blackmer
    3.) Calalang/Sidhu
    4.) Pfund/Reiss
    5.) Aaron Settlage
    6.) Divette/Stevens

I honestly would restrict it to these skaters on the JGP and just send them to two assignments. Divette and partner are a huge ? but I wouldn't mind them or Audrey and Joe getting one.

Dance:
    1.) Aldridge/Eaton
    2.) Parsons
    3.) Mcnamara/Carpenter
    4.) Herritage/Fast
    5.) Moore/Klaber

That's all I really know of that are age eligible and ready based on nationals/J worlds.

That said, BRING ON THE SUMMER

vCash
    at things like that Johndockley...

The way I see it, I think the pecking order for initial JGP's goes like this:

Ladies:
    1.) Courtney Hicks
    2.) Vanessa Lam
    3.) Samantha Cesario
    4.) Ashley Cain
    5.) Hannah Miller
    where do Leah Keiser, Nina Jiang and Angela Wang fit in?

vCash
    ...and how about Emanuel Savary?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by johndockley92 View Post
    USFS has a limited amount of funds each year, why would they spend it on skaters without a bright future? That's a waste.

Potential can typically be seen, so there is no line to draw. Skaters without an "it" factor rarely do well.

So why fund those who won't even be around in a few years? Whether it be in the same partnership, or together. If they have staying power, then I understand funding.

Perhaps there is a place in the skating world for Joe D. However, I see none whatsoever for De la mora/ Wilson
    I may be bashed for this one, however someone had to state it.

The way USFSA operates and funds skaters is a perfect remedy for a disaster. The sport is prohibitively expensive for most of talented kids. There is no club financial support and sponsors (if any) will only come in when one "made it". In addition competitions are also expensive and you can see participation nosediving. Unless the sport is funded differently (look at Russia or China for example) the sport will further loose in the ratings.
    How can you find "it" unless you develop it from early on? By the time you achieve something for the USFSA to "funds you" you may be broke and done.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bookslut View Post
    ...and how about Emanuel Savary?
    Emmanuel Savary currently isn't listed in USFS' International Selection Pool, but it's possible he could be added later if he monitors well in summer competitions.

I've started our annual thread in the Trash Can forum: 2012-13 U.S. JGP Assignment Predictions/Speculation/Discussion
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by icellist View Post
    where do Leah Keiser, Nina Jiang and Angela Wang fit in?
    Samantha Cesario is still eligible for the JGP? Isn't she almost 20 now? I think they need to look to the future and gives youngsters like Keiser, Jiang and Wang a shot at the JGP.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Samantha Cesario is still eligible for the JGP? Isn't she almost 20 now? I think they need to look to the future and gives youngsters like Keiser, Jiang and Wang a shot at the JGP.
    Cesario turns 19 in August so she is JGP eligible for one more season. Angela Wang is a near lock for a JGP assignment with her 8th place at Nationals and Nina Jiang is very likely to be given an assignment as well, unless she skates very poorly over the summer. Both girls were assigned a JGP in the 10-11 season and did quite well (4th and 5th respectively, I want to say Nina even came 2nd in the SP at hers?). In any event, I expect all of the following ladies to be assigned a JGP, pretty much regardless of how/if they compete this summer:

Vanessa Lam
    Angela Wang
    Ashley Cain
    Hannah Miller
    Barbie Long

With decent or good summer competition results, the following ladies are likely to receive an assignment as well:

Nina Jiang
    Leah Keiser
    Mariah Bell
    Polina Edmunds
    Courtney Hicks (provided recovered and back in form)
    Samantha Cesario (provided recovered and back in form and still competing/interested/doesn't opt for senior Bs instead)

Then depending on how skaters do at their first events, if USFS decides to spread the wealth, the following ladies could be assigned if they skate very well over the summer:

Yasmin Siraj (provided recovered and back in form and wants to go)
    McKinzie Daniels
    Katarina Kulgeyko
    Gwendolyn Prescott

I guess the only question is Kiri Baga - is she trying to get JGP assignments this season or will she opt for senior Bs or be focusing on pairs? Considering her past experience and placement at Nationals, she'd be in at least the second group of ladies mentioned if not the first if she wants to do the JGP again.

vCash
    Men:
    1.) Farris
    2.) Brown
    3.) Chen
    4.) Choate
    5.) Kaugers

That said, BRING ON THE SUMMER
    Jay Yostanto is also age eligible for JGP for one more season and considering the strength of his 3a and the smallish pool of age-eligible men this season, I assume he will get an initial assignment at least. Then there's also David Wang who was awful at Nationals but is also age-eligible for 1 more season and could be sent.

I wouldn't be surprised if USFS basically promised the coaches of Farris and Brown that they'd each be getting 2 assignments regardless of placement at his first considering from the sounds of it, Farris wanted to move up to the GP but USFS talked him out of it, and I wouldn't be surprised if the same was true for Brown. Of course, I'd be surprised if either placed lower than 4th at his 1st event, but maybe if they had to compete against the likes of Yan, Tanaka, Kihara, Kovtun, and someone like Uno/Hino/Zhang, etc all at the same event and didn't have a great outing, it could happen.

vCash

Ladies:
    1.) Courtney Hicks
    2.) Vanessa Lam
    3.) Samantha Cesario
    4.) Ashley Cain
    5.) Hannah Miller
    not much potential here other than Miller
    still waiting for Karen Chen

Spitting Nickels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    not much potential here other than Miller
    still waiting for Karen Chen
    Thanks for the cheery assessment.

I think at least Hicks should be worthy of some consideration for the future. Until the injury she was really starting to break out.

vCash
    What's all the "distaste" about?
    What have any of these people done to deserve it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    What's all the "distaste" about?
    What have any of these people done to deserve it?
    Somebody's kid didn't get funding.
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

vCash
    From this article on Vasilisa Davankova/Andrei Deputat

Davankova and Deputat will debut on the Junior Grand Prix circuit this fall and they plan to attend the events in Lake Placid, New York and Zagreb, Croatia.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Re-posting from the Grand Prix thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by operagirl View Post
    All Year FSC is holding it's club championships this weekend. Leah Keiser (58.24) is ahead of Courtney Hicks (54.34) after the SP.
    More info here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...53#post3583953 (I'll post an update there later today if/when I receive any FS info)
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash

Ladies:
    1.) Courtney Hicks
    2.) Vanessa Lam
    3.) Samantha Cesario
    4.) Ashley Cain
    5.) Hannah Miller

Men:
    1.) Farris
    2.) Brown
    3.) Chen
    4.) Choate
    5.) Kaugers

Pairs:
    1.) Denney/Frazier
    2.) Simpson/Blackmer
    3.) Calalang/Sidhu
    4.) Pfund/Reiss
    5.) Aaron Settlage
    6.) Divette/Stevens

I honestly would restrict it to these skaters on the JGP and just send them to two assignments. Divette and partner are a huge ? but I wouldn't mind them or Audrey and Joe getting one.

Dance:
    1.) Aldridge/Eaton
    2.) Parsons
    3.) Mcnamara/Carpenter
    4.) Herritage/Fast
    5.) Moore/Klaber
    Assuming you mean Zaitsev/ stevens. Who is divette? Just wondering who you got confused with

Also, many other skaters not on this list will be getting assignments.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast