Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Skatefan View Post
    Plus didn't Joannie do more triples than Mirai?
    Joannie did 7 triples, level 4 spiral sequence, and 3 level 4 spins. Mirai did 6 triples, level 2 spiral sequence, and one level 3 and 2 level 4 spins. Even so Mirai still beat Joannie technically. Interestingly, even Laura Lepisto beat Mirai in the LP. I think Joannie was gifted a little maybe in PCS, and Mirai robbed a little, but I still think Joannie deserved her bronze medal.
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    ITA.
    It seems she doesn't want to finish 6th or 7th at the Olympics. But with the team competition, she is likely to have another Olympic medal if she makes the olympic team !
    Still wish this competition didn't include skaters already competing in the individual events (IE separate athletes, like if Evan and Jeremy competed in men, then Johnny would be sent to compete in the team portion) so that more skaters could get the olympic experience and deeper countries would be rewarded.

vCash
    I have no idea why you think, say, the US pair team #3 should get an Olympic medal but not the US pair teams #1 and #2.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by johndockley92 View Post
    Still wish this competition didn't include skaters already competing in the individual events (IE separate athletes, like if Evan and Jeremy competed in men, then Johnny would be sent to compete in the team portion) so that more skaters could get the olympic experience and deeper countries would be rewarded.
    I look at it more as, the same skater gets two chances for a medal, like competing in all-around and team events. There wouldn't be different people on the team that weren't in the all-around.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    I look at it more as, the same skater gets two chances for a medal, like competing in all-around and team events. There wouldn't be different people on the team that weren't in the all-around.
    I agree. Like when Michael Phelps won his first Olympic medal, he should have dropped out of all other events so that the following medals could be shared more evenly.

It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Sorry, PeterG, the swimming analogy doesn't fly: he had to qualify for each individual event separately.

If figure skating were like swimming, the skaters/teams would qualify for the individual events, and the team events <relays> would be chosen by TPTB.

"The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I must in a very small minority because I groan inwardly every time an Olympic come-back is announced. This is in part because the skaters who announce possible or certain come-backs for the Olympics often never get there, but get oodles and oodles of media attention.

And in part it is because I'm not crazy about the skaters currently making definite or possible come-backs: Weir, Lysacek, Yunah, Plush, and now Joannie. The idea that Yunah and Joannie might make the 2014 podium because none of the other ladies bring their A game would IMO mean that the ladies event was really sub-par.

But I agree that it would best for Joannie to come back in 2013 if she comes back at all. This would be best for her and best for Canada. Making a late come-back often doesn't work out, as was the case with Cohen.

vCash
    I personally think comebacks are risky and, therefore, exciting. Of course they often don't work out, but that's what makes the few success stories that much more exciting. If the skater is good enough to make their national team, then so be it. And yay for them! And if they go further, double yay for them! That doesn't mean I don't feel badly for the skaters who have been training the entire Olympic cycle and just don't make it. But it is competition after all, and may the best skater win.

Joannie should try to quiet the "noise" around her and follow her heart.

O-

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    The idea that Yunah and Joannie might make the 2014 podium because none of the other ladies bring their A game would IMO mean that the ladies event was really sub-par.
    Not necessarilly. It's entirely possible that all of the top 10 ladies will skate brilliantly, but if Joannie and Yu-Na skate really brilliantly, then they will deserve to be on the podium in place of the others.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I just really don't want to see some of these skaters that we've been watching for as long as 8 years and two Olympics competing in Sochi. Call me weird but i want to see the new girls fighting it out. The others have had their time.

vCash
    Joannie is 2nd at the 2012 Medal winners open...

http://www.jsfresults.com/InterNatio...o/data0205.htm

Would this provide some insight into her readyness for competition?
    Last edited by rvi5; 10-06-2012 at 01:39 AM.

vCash
    If figure skating were like swimming, the skaters/teams would qualify for the individual events, and the team events <relays> would be chosen by TPTB.
    I think the skating team event would work a lot better if they did follow the model of the swimming medley relay instead of the overpopulated gymnastics event.

Hold the team event last and let the teams and competitors be determined by how folks skated in the individual events. It would probably work best just to use the SP/SD for team qualifying. They could bring forward the SP scores and then just do free programs again for the team event. If they limited it to the top 5 or 6 teams, they could get the whole thing over with in one extra day. That way it wouldn't be necessary to hold half the individual medal events before the opening ceremonies. Totally hate that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rvi5 View Post
    Joannie is 2nd at the 2012 Medal winners open...

http://www.jsfresults.com/InterNatio...o/data0205.htm

Would this provide some insight into her readiness for competition?
    I think her jump schedule would tell us more than her overall placement against other retired skaters.

They actually have posted protocols for this event. Rochette's program had technical elements similar to a short program (with an extra 3T instead of a 2A).

Jumps: 3T-2T, 3S and 3T
    Spins: level 1, level 2, level2
    FW: Level 1
    Spirals - Level 2

Looking at that, she would have a long way to go to be competitive at Worlds.
    Last edited by Susan M; 10-06-2012 at 03:50 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    Will we actually see protocols for this event?
    http://www.jsfresults.com/InterNatio...o/data0205.pdf

Banned Member
    vCash
    So I will plead ignorant. There is now a Team competition? Why shouldn't she join it? Hell, she's got the shoulders and arms to whip herself right into a team comp. I'd rather see Joannie muscle her way through a team comp than some nobody.

At this moment I could not tell you who is the current world gold medalist. Ten seconds later, nada. No JPN, no USA. Why wouldn't Joannie have a shot? Go for it, JR.

Was it Lepisto? Kostner? That Russian girl who skated to Marilyn Monroe?!?!? I know I could do an easy google search, but the fact that I'm not even sure who is WC is odd. Was it that Russian woman who is sooooo going to be surpassed this year? Whose lutz and flip are identical?
    I will not be ignored! -Me

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Forrest View Post
    So I will plead ignorant. There is now a Team competition? Why shouldn't she join it? ... I'd rather see Joannie muscle her way through a team comp than some nobody.
    There are probably other Canadian ladies who think they should go if she can't do more than 3S and 3T. Canadian ladies are not deep at this point, but there is a youngster up from juniors who would probaby be stronger than Rochette could be by next year. I don't know who their second lady would be - Lacoste?

BTW last year's World podium was 1. Kostner, 2. Leonova, 3. Suzuki.
    (You're right, though, ladies event at present is kind of dull.)

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    That's assuming that a Canadian Lady will make top 10 in London to earn two spots. Otherwise, if a Canadian Lady qualifies for the Olympics in London or at the Fall Olympic qualifier, the one Lady who makes the Olympic team in January 2014 will compete, by definition, in both the Team and the Individual events.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Didn't know Kimmie had competed here.

vCash
    Wow...she skates in a pro event and doesn't do loop, flip and lutz, and people are writing her off?

Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really View Post
    Wow...she skates in a pro event and doesn't do loop, flip and lutz, and people are writing her off?

Jaded Nagasu fans are sooooooo .

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast