Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

vCash
    I thought Google translate worked fairly well.

The most interesting part -for me- was hearing she wouldn't have considered ("dreamt", according to the article) coming back without the team event being added into the mix. And, paying tribute to her mother and all the things she did to help her out was also v. nice.

vCash
    Osmond vs. Rochette is coming!

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    ioana thanks for the google translation. (I can never figure out how to work that )

And the translation is just fine.
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Can someone explain why Rochette was over 10 points higher than a clean Nagasu at the last Olys? After taking off my rose-colored glasses, I really think Nagasu should have been closer.
    Joannie was the established skater and Mirai was the new kid on the block in Vancouver compared to the other top skaters. Plus Joannie skated with much more maturity.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Plus Joannie had/has excellent jump technique on all jumps, plus the only mistake she made was a step out on the flip at the beginning.
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

living every minute
    vCash
    Translation of the article into 'non google' English:

In Joannie Rochette’s memory, Russia is a cold country, not to mention glacial. A climate like its people. She is not indifferent to learn that Sochi is located 800 kilometers south of Moscow, and grows palm trees. To commit to the 2014 Olympic Games, it is only that ... she is not ready to commit. Yet.

With fewer than 500 days to the Sochi Olympics, Rochette has not yet decided to get back in. "At this point, I really can’t give an answer. It changes every day,” summed up the 26 years old skater, whom we met yesterday afternoon before a workout.

"If I were to go to the Games, Rochette continued, it would be one of the biggest challenges that I have ever attempted, just to make the team and compete at the Canadian championships. That's why I hesitate. It's hard. "

The athlete, born in Île Dupas, is torn.

Rochette has never been able to draw a line under her amateur career, which still pulls at her. She thought about taking a year or two before being caught by the whirlwind that followed her bronze medal at the Vancouver Olympics, in the circumstances that we know. For two and a half years, she has skated in professional shows at the rate of fifty a year, but each time asking the permission of the Canadian federation, which allows her to retain her amateur status with the International Skating Union.

"I have not lost very much"

This schedule has allowed her to keep in shape and retain technical level up. "What surprises me is that I have not lost very much," she confirmed, and who will participate Friday in a professional competition in Japan. "I still have triple-triple combinations when I compete. I am at a level astonishingly close to where I was in 2010. It almost annoys me ... "

It would be so much easier if she was not still competetive! The level of competition at the last World Championships in Nice, where Italy's Carolina Kostner, a former rival won with only five triple jumps, also tickled Quebecer. "I might have been able to win," the 2009 silver medalist couldn’t help but think.

To claim an individual medal in Sochi is another story. The skater will then be 28 and three years without competition are not be without consequences, including what the judges might think. Aware of what is going on in the skating world, Rochette can’t help but know that a new generation of Russian skaters may emerge in 2014.

Clearly, Rochette fears that a sixth or seventh place finish in Sochi - what would otherwise be a fine personal achievement – would overshadow her bronze medal in Vancouver. "As an Olympic athlete, you always want to do better or match what you did in the past. How would that be seen by people? Because there are always expectations. I do not know how I would live with that in the future. "

She remembers a conference of ex-skier Brian Stemmle. Very emotional, he never really digested his swan song at the Nagano Olympics when he missed a turn at the end of a run where gold seemed to be in his grasp.

Rochette would also have to find a new coach. Manon Perron, who worked with her right up to Vancouver, is now in charge of development in the province of Quebec. Joannie met her two weeks ago for advice. And so? "I could go either way," said the smiling six-time Canadian champion, who would have no doubt preferred a more definite opinion.

A determining factor

A crucial factor might tip the balance: the inclusion of a new team event at the Olympics in Sochi, without which Rochette would never dream of returning to the circuit.

With the recent retirement of Cynthia Phaneuf, her presence could be crucial for Canada, already well represented in the other three disciplines. The idea of makong history and participating in a team competition intrigues her.

"If Joannie wants to return and get back to work, of course we would be very happy," affirmed the high performance director for Skate Canada, Mike Slipchuk, saying she should first establish herself again on the national level .

Ambivalent, Rochette has given herself until January to decide. "To get there, I know how intense it is, said two-time Olympian. I am willing to make the effort, but it is a big investment of time and effort, both physically and emotionally. Your social life goes by the board. This is not a decision to be taken lightly. "

Mother and coach in life ...
    Joannie Rochette doesn’t really remember the Vancouver Olympics. The tragic death of her mother has blocked everything out. "I had a big “down” after the Games. For two years, I was torn up about it. It's starting to get better. "
    With hindsight, Rochette understands better the role played by her mother during hr career. "She was my life coach, my manager, my secretary, she listed. It was she who made the link between my personal and professional lives. She was my psychologist, my confidante. She had encouraged me, to see me skate. I did not realize, but it was a full-time job. "
    The 26 year old skater says she has had to take that into account in the process of thinking about the decision for the Sochi Games. "I will not be able to hide the fact that she is no longer there, it's hard."
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato

vCash
    The Canadian federation is probably only worried about who can get them the team gold.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Osmond vs. Rochette is coming!
    Based on what I saw in Germany I'm now actually dreaming of Osmond AND Rochette in Sochi, which mere months ago I would have thought impossible.

I think Osmond's performance in Windsor will help us see if she really is the carefree competitor she claims to be. It's that attitude that just may make her able to handle representing Canada in London. I think Slipper has assessed that already and is why they didn't even put her near a JGP.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skipaway View Post
    So is anyone thinking the "she's had her turn, give the younger ones a chance?" I'm not, because I think Canada needs her desperately. But that argument has been used a lot when veterens come back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skate Talker View Post
    IMO that just doesn't apply here. However, if Joannie should return in time for the 2013 Worlds she would have a good chance of securing 2 spots for Canadian Ladies for the Olympics - something that just wouldn't happen without her so aside from 2013 Worlds she wouldn't be taking anyone else's turn imo.
    That doesn't apply, EVER. You earn your spot, no one has anything taken from them. No one is cutting in line at the cafeteria. This is my biggest pet peeve when talking to figure skating fans.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    That doesn't apply, EVER. You earn your spot, no one has anything taken from them. No one is cutting in line at the cafeteria. This is my biggest pet peeve when talking to figure skating fans.
    That's not true. If Michelle Kwan said that she was going to return to competitive skating, everyone on this board would be saying, "step aside Kwan, it's Rachael Flatt's turn now!!!"
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alilou View Post
    Plus Joannie had/has excellent jump technique on all jumps, plus the only mistake she made was a step out on the flip at the beginning.
    Plus didn't Joannie do more triples than Mirai?

vCash
    She really doesn't even need to be in optimal form to make another Olympic team at this point IMO, she's got nothing to lose either so I suspect she will be back. I've missed her powerful, effortless skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karpenko View Post
    She really doesn't even need to be in optimal form to make another Olympic team at this point IMO, she's got nothing to lose either so I suspect she will be back. I've missed her powerful, effortless skating.
    ITA.
    It seems she doesn't want to finish 6th or 7th at the Olympics. But with the team competition, she is likely to have another Olympic medal if she makes the olympic team !

vCash
    The article mentions Joannie has not lost much regarding her skating skills. If so, she would be likely to win the Canadian championship in January. If she does, it will be her 7th win. Joannie will have surpassed Jennifer Robinson for the most wins in modern history (currently she is tied with Jennifer at 6 wins).

vCash
    Like all of the comeback kids, I'll believe it when I see them on the ice. Sochi is 16 months away and she doesn't have a coach and hasn't resumed competition training.

Saying you've lost none of your technical skills, even if you can land those jumps in isolation in practice and the reality of doing an SP and LP with full technical content are very different places.

Does she automatically qualify for Canadian nationals this season?

If she was serious about returning the wheels should have been put in motion sooner than now, and she's not even saying she'll make a decision before January....when are Canadian nationals?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    If she was serious about returning the wheels should have been put in motion sooner than now, and she's not even saying she'll make a decision before January....when are Canadian nationals?
    This season, January 13-20, 2013. I never got the impression she planned to be back this season. If she were to compete again, it would be only for 2014. And January should give her enough time to get ready if she does come back, IMO.
    I only saw her skate live at Riverdance on ice, but the way she generates effortless speed and uses her edges is -worthy. I'd be thrilled she she came back.

vCash
    If Joannie doesn't want to skate singles at the Olympics, she'd better hope Osmond earns two places for Sochi at Worlds 2013.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Good for Joannie! That's awesome if she wishes to come back. More power to her!
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    If Joannie doesn't want to skate singles at the Olympics, she'd better hope Osmond earns two places for Sochi at Worlds 2013.

The only way Rochette can compete in the team event but not singles is if Canada does not earn a spot for Ladies in Sochi either in London or at the Olympic qualifier. Otherwise, all competitors in the team event have to compete in their discipline.

It's possible for a country to have two skaters/teams and have only one compete in both phases of the team competition.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skipaway View Post
    So is anyone thinking the "she's had her turn, give the younger ones a chance?" I'm not, because I think Canada needs her desperately. But that argument has been used a lot when veterens come back.
    Even of that were my thought about another skater.... Joanne gets a pass for anything she would ever want to do on any sheet of ice. her courage and grace at the last Olympics...... priceless
    DH - and that's just my opinion

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast