Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash

Rochette pondering return to Olympics

Joannie has not yet "shut the door" on returning to competition and has some plans for assessing that possibility over the coming months.

Read more in the Winnipeg Free Press: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...149967575.html
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    Skate Canada high performance director Mike Slipchuk plans to meet with Rochette sometime during the Stars tour to discuss her potential return to International Skating Union (ISU) competition. He wants to ensure she understands ISU Olympic eligibility requirements and Skate Canada's expectations before making her decision.
    At least SC is doing something.

No talk about the team event, where Rochette would most likely get that second Olympic medal should she return to competitive figure skating.

vCash
    I would so love to see more of Joannie's gorgeous skating, and she is certainly needed. However, I hope she will only come back if it is what she truly wants to do. She deserves to be able to do whatever will make her happiest and most fulfilled.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skate Talker View Post
    I would so love to see more of Joannie's gorgeous skating, and she is certainly needed. However, I hope she will only come back if it is what she truly wants to do. She deserves to be able to do whatever will make her happiest and most fulfilled.
    Amen to this!

vCash
    So is anyone thinking the "she's had her turn, give the younger ones a chance?" I'm not, because I think Canada needs her desperately. But that argument has been used a lot when veterens come back.

vCash
    IMO that just doesn't apply here. However, if Joannie should return in time for the 2013 Worlds she would have a good chance of securing 2 spots for Canadian Ladies for the Olympics - something that just wouldn't happen without her so aside from 2013 Worlds she wouldn't be taking anyone else's turn imo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skipaway View Post
    So is anyone thinking the "she's had her turn, give the younger ones a chance?" I'm not, because I think Canada needs her desperately. But that argument has been used a lot when veterens come back.
    Is Cynthia Phaneuf younger than Joannie? The younger ones can still get the second spot if they can rise to the occasion. I don't think an overabundance of top competitors is a problem for the Canadian ladies right now. It's more a question of whether the time and expense of training is worth it to Joannie. She seems pretty marketable as she is.

vCash
    Generally it kind of bugs me when veterans swoop in only for the Olympic season, grab a spot and immediately leave eligible skating again (a la Boitano, Witt, etc.). I know all is fair in sport, but it sort of grates anyway.

That said, none of the current Canadian ladies are getting it done, and I'd love to see Joannie compete again, so I'm willing to be a hypocrite and say DO IT JOANNIE!

Quote Originally Posted by Skate Talker View Post
    IMO that just doesn't apply here. However, if Joannie should return in time for the 2013 Worlds she would have a good chance of securing 2 spots for Canadian Ladies for the Olympics - something that just wouldn't happen without her so aside from 2013 Worlds she wouldn't be taking anyone else's turn imo.
    All the better if she can help out Skate Canada at 2013 Worlds.

vCash
    She is so coming back, but she is so humble that she wants to lower expectations.

vCash
    It's tough to come back for a podium finish and I´m sure she knows that. I have no expectations of great results there. I don't usually like veterans returning but I don't see her getting a reputation bonus in Sochi. I think the team event for her could be fun and as Vancouver was bittersweet for her I wouldn´t begrudge her a fun Olympic experience. I think that makes me slightly hypocritical in my views but I just don't see her in the same light as other veterans returning, probably because of her back story and the fact she wouldn't be stealing a spot from any Canadian ladies

vCash
    Man, I love Joannie's skating. It would be great to see her out there. Not even because the Canadian team needs her right now, but because she is truly a beauty to watch.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    If she is serious about coming back, I would hope she would return in the fall season, like Plushenko, and not wait until the Olympic year.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    So she said she doesn't plan to compete at 2013 worlds but will train 'intensely' this summer. My guess is no matter what we won't see her on the GP but I'll pray for a last minute decision to go to nationals and maybe we'll get lucky.

If I'm her I'm not just reviewing ISU eligibility rules, but I'm also negotiating terms to be selected to the Team Event. I assume this is her focus. Canada will likely only have one lady at Sochi and it will be the national champion, which may or may not be her. If I'm her I'd want some sort of assurance that I get the 2nd ladies spot in the team event so as not to waste my comeback. Something like "if I finish top 3 at nationals and score at least 150 points in a comp prior to Olympics you'll put me on".
    That's the kind of conversation I expect will happen.

vCash
    If I were Joannie, I'd have taken a look at the current crop of senior ladies and believe that I could absolutely be competitive against this group. In fact, I'd think that at my 2009-10 level, I could have won Worlds in 2011 and 2012. Yes, there is a lot of talent coming into the senior ranks in the next 2 years, but there's no guarantee that all of those skaters will excel as seniors. I see no reason why she can't challenge for the podium if that's what she really wants.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    Is Cynthia Phaneuf younger than Joannie?
    IIRC, Cynthia is two years younger than Joannie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    So she said she doesn't plan to compete at 2013 worlds but will train 'intensely' this summer. My guess is no matter what we won't see her on the GP but I'll pray for a last minute decision to go to nationals and maybe we'll get lucky.

If I'm her I'm not just reviewing ISU eligibility rules, but I'm also negotiating terms to be selected to the Team Event. I assume this is her focus. Canada will likely only have one lady at Sochi and it will be the national champion, which may or may not be her. If I'm her I'd want some sort of assurance that I get the 2nd ladies spot in the team event so as not to waste my comeback. Something like "if I finish top 3 at nationals and score at least 150 points in a comp prior to Olympics you'll put me on".
    That's the kind of conversation I expect will happen.
    I don't see Rochette having any problem getting the lone spot for 2014. Phaneuf and Lacoste don't have the technical chops, and Osmond has neither senior experience nor outstanding presentation skills.

I don't understand training intensively this summer and then not coming back to competition in 2012-2013. Unfortunately, I think the reason why she won't return for 2013 Worlds is that it conflicts with the SOI tour.

But if SOI is her priority, that means she won't return to competition until the start of the 2013-2014 season. That means another summer of intensive training and then competing at the elite level after she hasn't done so for more than three years. NOT the best scenario for success IMO.

vCash
    I was never crazy about Joannie, but her return (assuming the year before the Olympics) could secure 3 spots for Canadian ladies in the 2014 Olympics. That will be good for their future.

vCash
    3 spots? And who will be the other Canadian to make the top 10? That is if Joannie even makes the podium.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    So is anyone thinking the "she's had her turn, give the younger ones a chance?"
    Well, if so, that someone probably does not think skating is a sport, but more a pageant.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    3 spots? And who will be the other Canadian to make the top 10? That is if Joannie even makes the podium.
    Canada has one lady. Should that lady place second or first at the 2013 Worlds, Canada would get three spots. If she gets 3rd-10th, two spots. 11th or worse, one.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast