vCash

Where can I find forms to use for judges' critique?

We're having our spring recital and judges will critique pre-preliminary level and up.

What forms are usually used? Nothing obvious is jumping out at me on the USFS site.

Programs are mostly singles, but some ice dance.

Thanks!

vCash
    Any links look useful on the Judges' page? http://www.usfsa.org/About.asp?id=514
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Thanks, Sylvia!

There's a judges form on the accountant's page for IJS. I just spoke to one of the judges and she walked me through making my own form that will work for all levels. Very basic, blocks with name, jumps, spins, footwork, performance.

Although, I guess I might need different commenting categories for dance?

vCash
    We have used the Judging forms from IJS as feedback sheets before. They do work well.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    You may want to look at Judges Panel test forms, under freestyle rather than IJS. They tend to be more general and like 6.0. However, remember that test program requirements are not always the same as competition.

Try these:

http://www.usfsa.org/Shell.asp?sid=20822
    Happy Skating!

Crzesk8dad

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozet View Post
    There's a judges form on the accountant's page for IJS. I just spoke to one of the judges and she walked me through making my own form that will work for all levels. Very basic, blocks with name, jumps, spins, footwork, performance.

Although, I guess I might need different commenting categories for dance?
    If you're a USFSA member, log into "Members' Only" and select the "Accounting Central" tab. If you click on the "Forms" tab and scroll to the bottom of the page, the worksheets for 6.0 events are available, including the worksheets for dance. Your description of the form that the judge described for you is essentially the 6.0 worksheet. They're available for each individual level, which is nice because they have the "well-balanced program" requirements on them, but another alternative would be to provide the "generic" worksheets and a copy of the "Well-Balanced Program" requirements. For a competition, judges use one row per skater, but for a critique, consider allowing two rows per skater when you're calculating how many sheets each judge will need.

Everyone has a different preference for which worksheet they prefer (when judges were allowed to choose which 6.0 worksheet they used, the battles could get epic: "WHO TOOK THE LAST VERTICAL WORKSHEET? I NEED A VERTICAL WORKSHEET." "Listen, I know you're hoarding a dozen vertical worksheets. I really need them for Intermediate Ladies' final. If you give me two, I'll run out to Staples after the event and make you a dozen copies. Sure, I can also grab some donuts. Can I have the sheets now?") - but for Pre-Pre, Prelim, and Pre-Juv events, which are judged using the 6.0 worksheets, those are your best bet. Some judges would prefer IJS sheets for higher levels, some would prefer 6.0 worksheets. If you're have higher levels and have room in your copy budget, it might be worth having a few of each so judges could choose. They'll be fine either way, but when one is trying to watch, write elements, and note comments, it's nice to have a worksheet that one knows well enough that one can write on it without having to actually look at it. Totally unnecessary for a critique, but a nice touch.

vCash
    The regular judge's forms from the USFSA website are what we use for critiques. If the critique is for testing that is one thing; if the critique is for competition then IJS forms for Juv and above. PS. Leave time for the judges to discuss the performance with the skaters and coaches; at least that's what our judges like to do if not right after then soon after while it is fresh in their minds. We will also offer critiques if we only have one judge that is high enough for a certain test. Good luck!
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.