vCash

Junior Seau, former NFL linebacker, dies of apparent suicide

http://www.boston.com/sports/blogs/t..._junior_s.html

Sad news today about former NFL player Junior Seau. Unfortunately, Seau's problems seems similar to several NFL retirees.

vCash
    beyond sad, so sad for his family and friends.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    I gasped when I saw the headline for this earlier today. Huge loss for the entire NFL community. Amazing, 12-time Pro Bowler, future first-ballot HOF lineback, but more importantly a great guy. Amazing work ethic, friendly to all, very active in his charitable work and in his community.

So painfully reminiscent of David Duerson's death last year, even down to the method (gunshot wound to the chest). I would not be surprised if concussions sustained during Junior's 20-year NFL career contributed to the suicide.

Junior actually survived a 100-foot drop when his car went off a cliff in 2010. He said he fell asleep at the wheel, but many thought then - and even more so now - that it was a suicide attempt.

Junior leaves behind a big family, including three children. I saw his mom on TV a few minutes ago, she was sobbing "Take me! Leave my son alone." My heart goes out to his entire family.
    Last edited by Cheylana; 05-03-2012 at 03:31 AM.

vCash
    Great player and person. RIP Junior.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    I gasped when I saw the headline for this earlier today. Huge loss for the entire NFL community. Amazing, 12-time Pro Bowler, future first-ballot HOF lineback, but more importantly a great guy. Amazing work ethic, friendly to all, very active in his charitable work and in his community.

So painfully reminiscent of David Duerson's death last year, even down to the method (gunshot wound to the chest). I would not be surprised if concussions sustained during Junior's 20-year NFL career contributed to the suicide.

Junior actually survived a 100-foot drop when his car went off a cliff in 2010. He said he fell asleep at the wheel, but many thought then - and even more so now - that it was a suicide attempt.

Junior leaves behind a big family, including three children. I saw his mom on TV a few minutes ago, she was sobbing "Take me! Leave my son alone." My heart goes out to his entire family.
    Wow, I never heard about that incident with his car. Anyways, this is so sad. RIP Junior Seau. My prayers go out to his family

I wouldn't be surprised if the hits to the head he took contributed to his suicide, but I'm going to wait to hear more details before I jump to that conclusion.

vCash
    A suicide must be more tragic than other ways of dying prematurely. It leaves the survivors with a lot of questions and guilt. I am sorry to hear of Junior Seau's suicide. I wonder if there was a note of explanation or a phone conversation prior to this?

vCash
    No note. His ex-wife says he texted her and his three kids the day prior, saying simply "I love you" (source)

vCash
    Sorry to hear this and doubly sorry for his mother and can't imagine what she and his kids must be feeling. Hope he rests in peace.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash

Unhappy

He was 43 years old. Far too young. My condolences to his family. May he rest in peace from the personal demons that drove him to this.

NJL

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    This is so very, very sad. His mother addressing the press was heart-wrenching to watch.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    So sad. Junior was one of the few seemingly all-around adored athletes.

Startling bit of data:
    Seau, who played in the NFL for parts of 20 seasons, is the eighth member of San Diego's lone Super Bowl team [in 1994] who has died, all before the age of 45. Lew Bush, Shawn Lee, David Griggs, Rodney Culver, Doug Miller, Curtis Whitley and Chris Mims are the others. Causes of death ranged from heart attacks to a plane crash to a lightning strike.
    Wow, I hate speaking in dramatik cliches, but ""cursed" seems to be the best word to describe this ... so many early, sometimes random, demises.

vCash
    ^ I saw that statistic too and was floored. Too sad and weird.

vCash
    I've heard of several NFL player's brains being donated to research. They are finding some interesting data.

While Mitchell did not identify the researchers making the requests, among the institutions the family could donate Seau's brain to is Boston University's Center for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy, the research center that found former Chicago Bears safety Dave Duerson suffered degenerative damage to his brain because of repeated hits.

Duerson committed suicide, shooting himself in the chest in 2011 and leaving a suicide note that said he wanted his brain studied for possible damage.

Seau's Brain to Researchers

vCash
    While suicide happens for all sorts of reasons, I do wonder whether the brain trauma inflicted from all those years in football played a role. There was a local football player who also committed suicide. He had a brutal history of concussions.

vCash
    Junior Seau will be missed.
    I hope that the donation of his brain for study will lead to more knowledge about - and better treatments for - head injuries to athletes.

My sympathy to his family and friends.
    May he rest in peace.