Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

vCash
    For all the haters, I thought that was absolutely lovely from Jessica.
    Kyle

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kylet3 View Post
    I didn't mind that performance from Skylar but based on what we've seen of other contestants, I think bottom three for her isn't out of the realm of possibility.
    I'm utterly bewildered by the judges. I like Skylar but that song was out of her range -- and I have every note of the original in my head. She sounded screechy. With some great 60s music in country-rock range, that was a bad choice.

But listening to all three women sing together to Jackie Wilson was decent. They ALL have better voices than the guys, although Jessica really is too young to win.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    ITA. WOW!!!!

vCash
    If Joshua is going to bust out the Tom Jones, he should've done Sex Bomb. I might vote for that.

vCash
    Joshua with "To Love Somebody" by The Bee Gees.

vCash
    Joshua is completely oversinging this. Way to OTT, he should have just sang it instead of screaming it.
    Kyle

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sally1214 View Post
    ITA. WOW!!!!
    Double Wow here!

Did Jessica just silence some haterz here?

vCash
    Joshua is completely oversinging this. Way to OTT, he should have just sang it instead of screaming it.
    That's exactly why I'm not a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by JILEN View Post
    Double Wow here!

She was good. But it did nothing for me, and I don't think it helped her, either.

vCash
    Totally agree with the judges and Stevie VZ. Incredibly awesome job from Joshua. Unbelievable talent!!!!! Win or lose IDOL, Joshua is going to be signed SO FAST it'll make his head spin. And, he's still only a kid ... 19 years old? WOW!!

IMO, the bottom 2 tonight should be
    Sklar and Philip ... with Philip going home (probably NOT going to happen though)

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Philip doing a song by the Zombies, "Time of the Season." I hate this song, but he's singing it okay, I guess. It's hard for me to really judge given my hatred of this song.
    Quote Originally Posted by cygnus View Post
    Phillip doing a good job on this song. And it's one of my faves, so that's saying something.
    About Philip and Time of the Season, that was IMO his worst performance to date. I physically cringed during it and had to change the station after he launched into the second verse . It was absolutely atrocious . And I usually *like* Philip.

Sally, Joshua's style just isn't my taste. At all. So it's hard for me to enjoy him, especially the way he (IMO) slaughtered Queen last week.
    Joshua is talented, but he most certainly is not the second coming of R&B/Soul music, not by a long shot. Another standing O from the judges (the only one tonight). really? ---- Really?

They "really" need to stop trying to make "fetch" happen.

I liked the girls' trio for one reason - it pitted them side by side by side for a quick, easy comparison, and IMO Hollie has by far the best voice of the three by a mile. Her clarity of tone, vibrato, control, and power is fabulous.

Hollie knocked it out of the park tonight - both songs were well-sung, in tune, powerful, had emotion and soul to them, and (first song) punch or attack/(second song) a quiet intimacy that drew the listener in.

Proud Mary was 300 kinds of wrong for Jessica. I would have loved to see Simon's reaction to that as it was completely "indulgent" and any other number of his pet catchphrases. She did much better on YASB, but I still don't get any real sense of feeling or emotion from her. This is a weird analogy, but she's like listening to Rush - they're all incredible musicians, but they're almost scientific to the point that it lacks any emotion or soul.

My rankings tonight ("1" being first song", "2" being second song)

1. Hollie 2
    2. Hollie 1
    3. Skylar 2
    4. Jessica 2
    5. Philip 1
    6. Skylar 2
    7. Joshua 1
    8. Joshua 2
    9. Jessica 1
    10. Philip 2

Overall:

1. Hollie
    2. Skylar
    3. Joshua
    4. Jessica
    5. Philip

If there were any justice, Jessica or Philip (mainly P2) would go home, based on tonight. No way will that happen. It's a total crapshoot as to who will go home - any of them could, TBH.
    "Meryl is from a magic planet where Disney princesses come from, and [Charlie's] hair is a magic carpet." ~~ Stephen Colbert, on The Colbert Report

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    of the 60's songs, I enjoyed Hollie's best. Jessica had no business doing Proud Mary - she is not old enough to carry it off. Phillip's version of The Letter was awful, Skylar was bouncy and enthusiastic - best I can say because she really didn't understand the song, Joshua was ok.
    I agree with all of this except that Joshua was ok. He has one of the best voices but I hate the OTT way he uses it. He starts out good, then ruins every song for me except last week's 2nd song. Tonight was no exception.

I thought Hollie was the overall best tonight. I hated both of P2's performances...the 2nd one he couldn't hit the high notes at all. And he sounded awful in the duet. I usually like Skylar a lot & her 1st song was ok. But no one should try to sing Dusty Springfield...they will always come up short. I hated Jessica's Proud Mary but the 2nd song was beautiful & she looked like she connected with it. Strangely, in the trio it sounded to me like Hollie has the best voice, then Skylar, then Jessica. And the heels she wore in that performance were ridiculous. She was wobbling all over the place.

ETA: Cyn & I were posting at the same time...I rated them exactly the same:

1. Hollie
    2. Skylar
    3. Joshua
    4. Jessica
    5. Phillip

vCash
    I agree with everything Cyn and Taf said.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Taf, I had seen your post after I posted my comment, and came back to this thread to quote it, saying that I agreed with yours, but you beat me to the punch .
    "Meryl is from a magic planet where Disney princesses come from, and [Charlie's] hair is a magic carpet." ~~ Stephen Colbert, on The Colbert Report

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post

My rankings tonight ("1" being first song", "2" being second song)

1. Hollie 2
    2. Hollie 1
    3. Skylar 2
    4. Jessica 2
    5. Philip 1
    6. Skylar 2
    7. Joshua 1
    8. Joshua 2
    9. Jessica 1
    10. Philip 2

Overall:

1. Hollie
    2. Skylar
    3. Joshua
    4. Jessica
    5. Philip
    I find it interesting that your individual song rankings don't match your overall rankings. If they did you would have Jessica ahead of Joshua tonight. Not sure what that means, if anything, lol
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Double Wow here!

define haters

vCash
    Since you have called me a haterz in previous weeks, no - just not worth it telling you why I don't think she has the best voice.

Based upon tonight, the bottom three should be Jessica, Joshua, Philip. With Phillip going home. Who probably will? Hollie who had the best night of all.

If the winner is:
    Skylar - she will have a career like Kellie Pickler, good but no Carrie
    Joshua - will have a career like Lee, not special just fades away
    Jessica - will be like Jordin. Not the same genre, but the too young, not a fan base for actual air time
    Hollie - will be like Kris Allen, some good air time to start with, depends on the success of the first few releases and maybe go somewhere
    Philip - the cute factor will help in touring, small clubs nothing spectacular.

AI - hasn't delivered on the promises of a Kelly or a Carrie repeat.

vCash
    [QUOTE=shan;3561512]define haters[/QUOTE

The ones who mute their tubes when she's singing and say her singing doesn't do anything for them, LoL.

vCash
    [QUOTE=JILEN;3561530]
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    define haters[/QUOTE

The ones who mute their tubes when she's singing and say her singing doesn't do anything for them, LoL.
    Do people actually post that here?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    define haters

There's a difference between people who simply don't care for her singing, and people who actively snark on her non stop. The latter I think, would qualify as a "hater", the former IMHO most certainty doesn't. I think most people around here who aren't Jessica fans would fall into the first category.

vCash
    Philip doing a song by the Zombies, "Time of the Season."
    For me, that was one of the worst performances I have ever heard from a top contestant on AI.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast