Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

vCash
    I thought the judges were way too kind to Philip with their comments this week. He really struggled with his second song. Now is when I think they need a Simon to call it as he sees it. I think these judges have taken so much pride in all of the talent they found - they are just not objective at all. Now even if they did start really pointing out problems - they have lost all credibility. So we could very well have a Philip win. JMHO.
    pug lover

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Catherine M View Post
    White guy--check
    plays guitar--check
    cute--debatable but alot think he is
    able to sing--not important point for the massive fanbase he has

So there you go, WGWG #5 winner. Unless Phillip is Daughtry'ed this upcoming week!
    I really don't want Phillip to reach top 3 & get a homecoming at which he will be oh so blase & too too above it all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by puglover View Post
    I thought the judges were way too kind to Philip with their comments this week. He really struggled with his second song. Now is when I think they need a Simon to call it as he sees it.
    Like when Simon called out Lee on his weaknesses? Simon frequently was insulting, but he certainly wasn't always honest or correct.

It's unfortunate that the judges aren't being honest in their criticism, but that's not new and not limited to Phillip.

I didn't see last night's show, but I've never seen Phillip looking smug and he seems to give others credit for how well they sing.

I don't think it's Phillip's fault that he's sick. I also don't feel like it's his fault that some people vote for him based on his looks. (I did think it was weird, though, when Ryan told everyone that Julianne had called him "yummy." But that's a reflection on Ryan and/or Julianne, not Phillip).

It's tempting to blame Phillip for the results, but getting mad at him just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

I have the sense that he's a regular guy trying to make a career out of doing what he loves, and doing his best while dealing with being sick. His poor performance this week might have been due to being tired and sick, but I do think part of the problem was wrong song choices (what an idiotic duet) and possibly earpiece problems.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    Like when Simon called out Lee on his weaknesses? Simon frequently was insulting, but he certainly wasn't always honest or correct.

It's unfortunate that the judges aren't being honest in their criticism, but that's not new and not limited to Phillip.

I didn't see last night's show, but I've never seen Phillip looking smug and he seems to give others credit for how well they sing.

I don't think it's Phillip's fault that he's sick. I also don't feel like it's his fault that some people vote for him based on his looks. (I did think it was weird, though, when Ryan told everyone that Julianne had called him "yummy." But that's a reflection on Ryan and/or Julianne, not Phillip).

It's tempting to blame Phillip for the results, but getting mad at him just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

I have the sense that he's a regular guy trying to make a career out of doing what he loves, and doing his best while dealing with being sick. His poor performance this week might have been due to being tired and sick, but I do think part of the problem was wrong song choices (what an idiotic duet) and possibly earpiece problems.
    This. I always thought that he was a regular guy who liked to make music. I have never found him to be smug. He didn't perform as well this past week, and looked tired to me. Poor song choices didn't help either. Where in the heck did they come from? The judges are dufuses (if this a word) and really don't give honest feedback, when it is needed the most. When was the last time Joshua was given any critical feedback? It isn't Phillip's fault, if he isn't receiving the needed feedback.

vCash
    P2 is my least favorite contestant this season but I find nothing remotely smug about him. Sometimes people see what they want to see.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by birdgal View Post
    This. I always thought that he was a regular guy who liked to make music. I have never found him to be smug. He didn't perform as well this past week, and looked tired to me. Poor song choices didn't help either. Where in the heck did they come from? The judges are dufuses (if this a word) and really don't give honest feedback, when it is needed the most. When was the last time Joshua was given any critical feedback? It isn't Phillip's fault, if he isn't receiving the needed feedback.
    Yeah, I don't feel like anyone in the top 4 has received the appropriate feedback.

I love P2 because he seems really committed to music. Does he have the best voice? No, but he's always being himself and I feel like he puts a lot of work into fighting every week to go the Phillip way, not the [insert producer or other influencer's name here] way. Plus, he is ill--I applauded him for coming back as fast as he did, even though it shocked me--and they're all exhausted. Win or lose, dude's gonna need a serious nap when this is all over.

vCash
    There won't be any rest for P2 - or anyone - for quite a while because of contracts and the tour.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    There won't be any rest for P2 - or anyone - for quite a while because of contracts and the tour.
    Which is really unfortunate in his case.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    Yeah, I don't feel like anyone in the top 4 has received the appropriate feedback.

I love P2 because he seems really committed to music. Does he have the best voice? No, but he's always being himself and I feel like he puts a lot of work into fighting every week to go the Phillip way, not the [insert producer or other influencer's name here] way. Plus, he is ill--I applauded him for coming back as fast as he did, even though it shocked me--and they're all exhausted. Win or lose, dude's gonna need a serious nap when this is all over.
    Completely agree. P2 is about the music. Whether you like what he does or not, he is an artist and knows exactly who he is and what he wants to be. Skylar and Elise were the only others this year who, imho, know who they are as performers.

Of the other three left, I think Joshua is the closest to knowing who he is, but still has a ways to go, but he is young. Jessica and Holly are also young and at this stage, it's still more about imitation than understanding.

vCash
    P2 is about the music. Whether you like what he does or not, he is an artist and knows exactly who he is and what he wants to be.
    That's why I prefer him to others, even though they may be better singers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marilou View Post
    Completely agree. P2 is about the music. Whether you like what he does or not, he is an artist and knows exactly who he is and what he wants to be. Skylar and Elise were the only others this year who, imho, know who they are as performers.

Of the other three left, I think Joshua is the closest to knowing who he is, but still has a ways to go, but he is young. Jessica and Holly are also young and at this stage, it's still more about imitation than understanding.
    If there's anyone who's doing imitating, it's Phil Phillips (though I agree Jessica does this as well) Hollie sings most of the songs "straight" but I don't think that's necessarily the same at "imitating". Sometimes you can put your own twist on a song, without completely changing (and in some cases butchering) the arrangement.

IMHO Phil is not the arteeest that some make him out to be. I do think he's a good musician, but for me many of his efforts to "change it up" fall short. All he does is change songs to suit his DMB wannabe "style" and doesn't really take any risks. I loved his version of "You got it bad" and I think he's on the right track, but he's not in the same league as Bo Bice, Kris Allen, Chris Daughtry, and David Cook.

I don't really get the "smug" comments though. He seems pretty down to earth, and grateful for the opportunity to be on Idol. If anything he just looks exhausted from having to deal with health issues.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    Like when Simon called out Lee on his weaknesses? Simon frequently was insulting, but he certainly wasn't always honest or correct. .
    Yeah, Simon always seem to have obvious favorites and would exempt them from criticism while being unfairly harsh to others. The Lee thing was hilarious as to how biased he was.

vCash
    Smiley, the only one of the group you mentioned that seems to receive much notice is Chris Daughtry.
    Being a singer with a POV doesn't usually lead to commercial success.
    Last edited by skatesindreams; 05-06-2012 at 04:12 PM.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Smiley, the only one of the group you mentioned that seems to receive much notice is Chris Daughtry.
    Being an singer with a POV doesn't usually lead to commercial success.
    I agree. The labels want robots. Hell, you don't even have to be able to sing because there is technology to take care of that. If you are an artist with a vision, best of luck to you. A few make it through but most are left on the sidelines.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Being a singier without a POV also doesn't usually lead to commercial success. The reality is that most singers, including contestants on AI, do not obtain the kind of big commmerical success that Kelly and Carrie, or even Daughtry, have.

For some of the AI contestants, though, Idol does allow them to make a living doing what they love, whether its Crystal who is now recording and performing her own material and supporting her child without having to play on the subway, or Diana DeGarmo, who has made a career for herself in musicial theatre. I doubt that Phillip will have a lot of commercial success, but he may be able to stop working in his father's pawn shop and support himself with music.

ETA: And Phillip's studio recording of Time of the Season is an exampe of what studio technologhy can do for someone. The tone is still very much him, but they have taken care of the range/pitch problems:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1j0ADUmjVM

When I was listening to this, I could have sworn I heard Julianne Hough say "yummy."
    Last edited by Allskate; 05-06-2012 at 10:51 PM.

vCash
    For some of the AI contestants, though, Idol does allow them to make a living doing what they love, whether its Crystal who is now recording and performing her own material and supporting her child without having to play on the subway, or Diana DeGarmo, who has made a career for herself in musicial theatre. I doubt that Phillip will have a lot of commercial success, but he may be able to stop working in his father's pawn shop and support himself with music.
    I agree with all of this,
    I think that Phillip would be very pleased if he can do that.

The recognition and "jumpstart" he will get as a result of AI will be a "bonus" and make his path easier.

vCash
    I didn't imply any of singers I mentioned had great commercial success, just that they were further along as artists/musicians/vocalists when they competed on idol compared to Phillip.

I do agree that idol is a great platform for many of the contestants to make a living in the entertainment industry. While most of them wouldn't mind being a "superstar" I think as long as they can make a living singing/acting/modeling/entertaining they would be content.

vCash
    This week's Idology

I have to agree with the assessment of Phillip this week. (It begins around 1:48.)

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789