Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,525
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Do the moves in Ice-Dance have offical names?

    Say,I've always wondered about that. But DO all the moves in Ice-Dance have actual Offical names,in the same way that all the moves in Pairs do?

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    52
    Posts
    10,237
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    10899
    Almost all the little steps and turns have official names. Most are also used in other forms of skating; a few are mostly just for ice dance. There are also names for the standard dance holds -- the way the man and the woman connect to each other with their arms.

    The actual elements in the ice dance programs are different kinds of step sequences, twizzle sequence, dance spin, dance lift.

    The lifts are called according to the pattern they cover over the ice: stationary, straight-line, curve, serpentine, rotational, reverse rotational; combination.

    But the individual positions in the spins and lifts don't always have official names -- the teams often try to be creative there by inventing new variations on the positions.


    You might find this link useful, especially the "Definitions" section:
    http://ice-dance.com/reference/58-ic...erm-dictionary

    Here's another glossary with definitions of terms:
    http://iceskatingresources.org/DanceGlossary.html

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,525
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Almost all the little steps and turns have official names. Most are also used in other forms of skating; a few are mostly just for ice dance. There are also names for the standard dance holds -- the way the man and the woman connect to each other with their arms.

    The actual elements in the ice dance programs are different kinds of step sequences, twizzle sequence, dance spin, dance lift.

    The lifts are called according to the pattern they cover over the ice: stationary, straight-line, curve, serpentine, rotational, reverse rotational; combination.

    But the individual positions in the spins and lifts don't always have official names -- the teams often try to be creative there by inventing new variations on the positions.


    You might find this link useful, especially the "Definitions" section:
    http://ice-dance.com/reference/58-ic...erm-dictionary

    Here's another glossary with definitions of terms:
    http://iceskatingresources.org/DanceGlossary.html
    Some are used in other forms of Skating? Canyou explain?

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,525
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I saw the link to the Grossary of Dance Terms. I can't make out what the letters before the Deffernitions mean. BTW. does anyone know the name for Lynn and Logan's Sign. move? Were the Male puts one are around the Girls waist,and the other on her extended arm? Here is a pic. http://www.pbase.com/trilby23/image/130718053
    Last edited by FSWer; 05-01-2012 at 11:51 PM.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    83
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    All the turns such as twizzles, rockers, brackets, three turns, Mohawks, etc, progressives and chasses are all common throughout skating.

    Dancers perform dance/pairs spins as well.

    What moves we're you thinking of with regard to this question? As gkelly said dancers tend to stay in hold which all have names such as killian, waltz, tango hold.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Age
    55
    Posts
    659
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by FSWer View Post
    I saw the link to the Grossary of Dance Terms. I can't make out what the letters before the Deffernitions mean. BTW. does anyone know the name for Lynn and Logan's Sign. move? Were the Male puts one are around the Girls waist,and the other on her extended arm? Here is a pic. http://www.pbase.com/trilby23/image/130718053
    In this picture, Lynn and Logan are in Kilian position. This is a basic ice dance hold. In the US, dancers learn this hold for their very first dance, the Dutch Waltz. Lynn has her free arm extended, but she could also place it on top of Logan's hand on her hip.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,525
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarice View Post
    In this picture, Lynn and Logan are in Kilian position. This is a basic ice dance hold. In the US, dancers learn this hold for their very first dance, the Dutch Waltz. Lynn has her free arm extended, but she could also place it on top of Logan's hand on her hip.
    Do we have a pic. of Lynn's arm there too,in that move? Can you show the difference? BTW. wee did the name Kilin come from?

  8. #8
    Watch me move
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gwyneth Paltrow Fan Club headquarters
    Posts
    16,709
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by FSWer View Post
    BTW. wee did the name Kilin come from?
    The name of the hold comes from the ice dance named the Kilian. The hold is the body position that the dancers have when they do that dance.

    I am not sure, but I believe the name of the dance may have come from the name of a piece of music that the dance was originally performed to.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,525
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Never heard of it. Can you post a pic.?

  10. #10
    Watch me move
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gwyneth Paltrow Fan Club headquarters
    Posts
    16,709
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Post a picture of the dance? A still photograph wouldn't show anything special or different about the dance, and you've said you can't view video online....so I'm not sure what you're asking for a photo of.
    The picture that you linked to shows the Kilian hold.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

  11. #11

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Age
    55
    Posts
    659
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FpGPUDXo3E

    This is a link to a YouTube video of Bestemionova/Bukin doing the Kilian. I don't know whether you'll be able to watch it, but it's the best I can do.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •