Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

vCash
    So not a morning person. I feel OK if I've slept 7 or 8 hours on a weekday; but on a weekend, I can go for so much more.

I can wake up early, if I have to; but I never will on my own (my personal wake up time is around 11 AM) and I'll NEVER be perky in the mornings!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I've always thought that the world is set up by and for morning people. I am totally fine working late into the night, that's when I feel the most energetic and productive. In the mornings I feel like I have fog in my head until about 10 am. That's also about when thoughts of breakfast finally become acceptable.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Night owl here too. So is Mom, which lends big time to the problems I mentioned in my earlier post.

I recall switching to night shift at one job. And the night manager said it would take a few weeks to get used to it. I adapted immediately. Now, when the night shift was dissolved, and I went back to days....well, that was a whole 'nother story! LOL.

I recall a "For Better or For Worse" cartoon. It's one frame. The family is sitting around the breakfast table. One of the kids is asking Dad, "how will I know if I'm a morning person or a night person?" The kids and Dad are sitting up at the table. Mom, in her robe, is sitting down, but her upper body is flopped over on the table with her face in her plate. Dad is looking at Mom and is answering, "you'll know." I cut that out and saved it. Wish I knew where it was now.

I also recall a commercial for soap. I think it was Irish Spring. You hear/see a man in the shower singing and being all energetic and cheery. The woman is leaning on the doorjamb of the bathroom, and wearily says, "Oh my God I married a morning person." Of course, the gist is later that as soon as she showers with this envigorating soap, she is all energetic like her new husband.
    Last edited by Flatfoote; 05-01-2012 at 07:37 AM.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I don't think I could have married a morning person, seriously. I was worried that Mini Ice would turn out a morning person but thankfully, he is just as bad a "night owlus humongous" <--medical term, as I am. On weekend nights I let him stay up as long as he wants, which is about 11 and then he sleeps until 9-9:30. One weekend morning he showed up in our bedroom around 7 am, climbed in our bed and the two of us slept until 10. Hubby got up at 9:30.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I need 8-9 hours. If I consistently get less, my brain stops functioning properly - my spelling gets really bad, I can't remember stuff I did 10 minutes ago, and my decision making ability completely goes. Luckily I'm a morning person as my job means I have to get up between 2:30 and 4:30am most mornings.

vCash
    In case this helps anyone, I've found something that really works as a "pick-me-up" on days where I haven't slept particularly well the night before.

It'a called "Energy Boost Brainwave Entrainment," just 10 minutes long and I find it really effective: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-yNV...ure=plpp_video

And for insomniacs, you might try one of the many "hypnosis for sleep" videos available on YouTube.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post

It'a called "Energy Boost Brainwave Entrainment," just 10 minutes long and I find it really effective: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-yNV...ure=plpp_video

I wish I'd read this post about 10 minutes ago. Afraid I don't have time to watch it now.
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

vCash
    I'm a night owl. On weeknights, I get maybe 5 hours. I know I should go to bed much earlier than I do, but I feel like I spend so much time at work (and commuting back and forth) that I want to stay up at home because that's *my* time.

I try to sleep in on the weekends a little, but lately my cats have been making me wish they came with snooze buttons.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CynicElle View Post
    I'm a night owl. On weeknights, I get maybe 5 hours. I know I should go to bed much earlier than I do, but I feel like I spend so much time at work (and commuting back and forth) that I want to stay up at home because that's *my* time.

I try to sleep in on the weekends a little, but lately my cats have been making me wish they came with snooze buttons.
    Now that is funny! I have to go share that with some other friends!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post
    I'm not a morning person. I can sleep 12 hours on the weekend, and still feel like I want more. However, as long as I get 5 hours sleep I feel fine once I'm up. Less than that and I feel slightly dumbed down.

eta (or what Duane said- minus the nap)
    This is me as well. I shortchange myself during the week (night person) and catch up on the weekend. If I go a couple of weeks without catching up, I will crash and sleep the whole weekend.

If I skate after work, sometimes I can't sleep at all, although I do go to bed and turn out the lights part of the time. I usually give up and read at about 4am.

vCash
    I usually get 4-6 hours, which is definitely not enough. Even worse, the past few weeks, I've had the world's loudest mockingbird nesting outside my bedroom window. It wouldn't be so bad if it chirped during the day, but it seems to have an on-switch that turns on at 1 am and lasts until 4 am.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    In case this helps anyone, I've found something that really works as a "pick-me-up" on days where I haven't slept particularly well the night before.

And for insomniacs, you might try one of the many "hypnosis for sleep" videos available on YouTube.
    Thank you very much for this link!

vCash
    I guess I average about 7 hours a night.

vCash
    Not much. I have worked nights for 8 out of the last 10 years and still have not adapted very well. Most days I get maybe 5 hours of restless sleep.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiery View Post
    Thank you very much for this link!
    Much obliged! I just took advantage of it this afternoon and feel pretty energetic as a result.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I need eight hours, but it's only been the last six months that I don't expect to be working between 10pm and 2-3 am (on India time), even though I haven't done that since 2009.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    There's a cool product called the Zeo that measures the different types of sleep you're in. It shows you how long you're in light sleep, REM, and deep sleep. You wear it on your head when you sleep, and it produces a graph of how long you were in each of the types of sleep.

I was able to see that I get very little deep sleep, and perhaps that's why I can sleep for a long time but not really feel refreshed.

Real sleep clinic equipment distinguishes between more types of sleep, but for less than $200, I've been satisfied with the Zeo. In terms of accuracy, it's obviously not as accurate as more fancy equipment, but it seemed pretty accurate in detecting my sleep and wake, and on nights when I know I've slept lightly, the graph shows that, and when I wake up in the middle of a dream, the graph reflects that too. So I feel it's accurate enough for what you can expect.

It doesn't detect things like sleep apnea, however, which is one of the biggest sleep problems.

vCash
    8 hours ideal. Definitely a morning person. I sometimes take a nap in the afternoon as well, and that helps.

Go Denmark!
    vCash
    I love to get 7 hours. Most days it is 5-6 due to mini viking, and the fact that we all need to get up early to make it to daycare/work, and I want some time for myself after he has gone to bed.

I am neither a morning nor an evening person. I don't like getting up, but I can't work late into the night - in fact I need to do things during the day, I cannot do chores in the evening.

vCash
    I get 5.5 to 6.5 hours during the week, which isn't enough. If I get 7 that's usually OK. I'm a morning person and a night person, if that makes sense. I get up at 6 AM, have a tired period in the afternoon (but it's frowned upon if one has a nap at work.) I usually sleep on the bus on the way home (almost missed my stop today). In the evening I'll perk up again. Weekends I will sleep longer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast