Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    As virtuosic as Julie Andrews' voice already was in that recording, it still retained more of a young person feel to it than Jackie Evancho's. I also find it disconcerting hearing that voice coming out of a young person, although she is undeniably gifted.

Julie Andrews is one of my all time favorite singers and actresses, so maybe I'm biased towards her and her young voice though.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Most of the dances did not work with the classical music selections. Maria/Derek and Peta/Donald were the exception. I enjoyed Mark/Kathryn but the music didn't work.
    Classical music night does not work with Rhumba, Tango and whatever else they did. The music choices and dance rhythms do not go together, no matter how talented the choreographer is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    I suspect that she has the same "adult larynx" that the young Julie Andrews was blessed with two generations ago:

Julie Andrews - Age 12
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV2-YGGn0y4

Realizing that, I'm not "freaked out" by Jackie's voice.

I hope that she will have access to appropriate training, as her voice matures.
    I believe she is truly gifted; and I'd love for her potential to be realized.
    I agree with AYS, Julie Andrews' voice was more youthful, possibly because she was a higher soprano. Another very young singer, Charlotte Church.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    Classical music night does not work with Rhumba, Tango and whatever else they did. The music choices and dance rhythms do not go together, no matter how talented the choreographer is
    There are classical pieces (if you're liberal in your definition of the term) that would work, just...not the ones they picked.

vCash
    ^^ Agree, and you don't even have to be too liberal. Carmen, as cliche as it is, can work for latin dances.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    There's 101 Strauss waltzes if you need a Viennese waltz....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    There's 101 Strauss waltzes if you need a Viennese waltz....
    I know! Do you realize that there was not one Blue Danube last night!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I agree with AYS, Julie Andrews' voice was more youthful, possibly because she was a higher soprano. Another very young singer, Charlotte Church.
    Charlotte Church is an example of someone who didn't get the right training.
    I hope that Jackie's parents/managers/mentors will see that she can/does.

vCash
    Charlotte Church is an example of someone who didn't get the right training.
    I hope that Jackie's parents/managers/mentors will see that she can/does.
    Do you think that she didn't get the right training, or that she went in the wrong direction? Rather than stick with a more classical genre, she went pop. Or, is that what you mean by not getting the right training?

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    The repeat dance was the "perfect" one, of course. They gave us the "alternate ending" which usually has to "wait for the DVD" according to Tom

Safe are all three couples who scored 27 last night: Cheryl & William; Peta & Donald; Katherine & Mark [declared safe in that order, maintaining some "drama"...]

Four couples left, 2 of whom will have to perform a rhumba in the dance duel.
    Can't skate but love to watch

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Was there really any point to naming which team came in last other than to make them feel bad?
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

Skating supporter
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    Was there really any point to naming which team came in last other than to make them feel bad?
    Are you talking about the "young" teams? I think things were a bit chaotic and they really weren't sure what they were doing

Skating supporter
    vCash
    Now to the final four: Maria & Derek; Cheltzie & Roshon; Jaleel & Kim; Melissa & Max

Safe - Maria & Derek; Melissa & Max
    In the bottom 2 to rhumba in the duel - Cheltzie & Roshon; Jaleel & Kim

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    I do think Roshon was slightly better, it was close.

Skating supporter
    vCash
    Going home - Kim & Jaleel.

vCash
    Do you think that she didn't get the right training, or that she went in the wrong direction? Rather than stick with a more classical genre, she went pop. Or, is that what you mean by not getting the right training?
    Charlotte Church had the talent and potential to be the next Julie Andrews. Unfortunately, her voice was pushed to the limits way too soon and she has nothing left. That's why she turned to pop and she hasn't had all that much success with it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victorskid View Post
    Going home - Kim & Jaleel.
    Not too sorry about this.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victorskid View Post
    Are you talking about the "young" teams? I think things were a bit chaotic and they really weren't sure what they were doing
    I actually really disliked Cheryl's team. She did a LOT of posing and her partner was blowing her off the floor. They simply don't look all that well-matched.

I actually would have gone with Tony's team, but it would have been a close call between his and Louis's. None of them were especially great-the next Ricardo and Yulia were NOT out there (heck, not even the next Eugene and Maria) but I thought Tony's were the best balanced.

And yeesh, what did Tom say that they hit the beep button there? (And give them a few seconds at least there!)

vCash
    I see the final 3 being Katherine, Maria, and Donald. Unless Donald gets bumped by William's hot flashing fan base.
    My mom saw a thing with Sherri Shepherd and she's predicting Katherine, Donald and William. I'm thinking the final 2 will be Katherine and William, and though Katherine is by far the best dancer in the field, the crazies who don't watch William's actual dancing will give him the win.

I hope that she will have access to appropriate training, as her voice matures.
    I believe she is truly gifted; and I'd love for her potential to be realized.
    The thing that bugged me most about her on AGT was the way she presented herself. She didn't do it last night, but after each performance she did a little head tilt, and opened her eyes all wide to look very 'look at me, aren't I so adorable?'
    And also, I look at her a bit like I look at Susan Boyle - if you closed your eyes and just listened to their voices, would people really be that amazed by them, or is jut that their appearances aren't what's expected? I firmly believe that if Susan's voice came out of someone that looks like Katherine, people would think that it was a nice voice, but nothing that spectacular. I think the same thing about Jackie.

Anyways, as for tonight's dance off, Roshon was the clear choice. Jaleel did almost no dancing where as Roshon never stopped moving. When I looked at Jaleel's half of the screen all I could see was Kym's fringe flying around him as he just steered her. The judges made the right call.

And the group dances - Tony's team was the best IMO, though the girl wasn't as good as him. I would have had Louis in 2nd, though the guy wasn't as good as her (and the program wasn't as jive-y IMO as the others) and Cheryl by far in last - the girl was so much worse than anyone else.

vCash
    So Jaleel is eliminated and he gives shout-outs to his fans and to Roshon...and nary a thank-you for Kym? Nice guy, that Jaleel. I think they really do hate each other, not that I can blame Kym. Not sorry to see him go.

That said, what will it take to get rid of Melissa? Half-Pint is long past her expiry date!

The show can waste so much time with useless recaps, useless Brooke interviews, etc. but it can't spare more than five seconds for the judges to deliberate on the three competing couples? Those couples put a lot of time and energy into their preparations, they deserved a little more consideration. And Garden Kitty, ITA that we didn't need to know which one came in last place.

Those AT&T Spotlights are killing me every week. Last week with the girl from Sierra Leone, and this week with Steelo. Very heartwarming stuff and good dancing -- love it!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast